News Hatbox Ghost coming to Walt Disney World's Haunted Mansion

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
WDI greeting guests earlier.

Haunted-Mansion_Full_54198.jpg

zipadee999

I was very against this placement at first but after seeing it I think I actually like it. Sure it’s not as good as the attic but without the comparison to DL’s I think it stands just fine on its own. The whole effect and its placement feels very museum of the weird to me, and I like it! I think he fits in well with the other gags around him, especially the man in the coffin.

Also does he seem to look a bit more realistic than the DL version. The DL version looks very spectral but the lighting here makes him look like an actual person standing there

brettf22

Premium Member
Love the figure. But definitely disappointed in the placement.

One of the most effective, subtle build-up moments of that area is the air blowing on riders as the GH says “Shhhh …. Listen….” Now, I’m worried some of that effectiveness is lost due to Hatbox’s appearance/lighting, as well as the materialization sound competing with the GH audio. Still love the figure, but … *sigh*

In the Parks
No
Glad to see it has finally materialized! I was never THAT impressed with the Disneyland figure—it doesn't move very much. But the effect is nice!

However, I think there could have been some cool alternative ways of making this ghost happen without projections that would have been even cooler (have the upper head rotate to be obscured when the lower head appears). A physical face is always preferable to projection, in my opinion. If they can make the Beast transform into a human in Tokyo, they can do something similar here. I get that the scale of the moment in the attraction isn't the same, but it would still be cool.

zipadee999

Love the figure. But definitely disappointed in the placement.

One of the most effective, subtle build-up moments of that area is the air blowing on riders as the GH says “Shhhh …. Listen….” Now, I’m worried some of that effectiveness is lost due to Hatbox’s appearance/lighting, as well as the materialization sound competing with the GH audio. Still love the figure, but … *sigh*
It does change the feel of the scene, but in a way Hatbox almost looks like he’s with the ghost host himself and beckoning you further into the house. You can still hear the screams in the hallway when Paul Frees says “shhh listen” and now you have hatbox staring at you and laughing while you hear the ‘strange noises.’ I agree that it’s not as good as it would’ve been in the attic but as a standalone scene I think it’s serviceable. The figure is amazing though

Ayla

this,,,you have all that blue light mixing with the glow of the hall light, two very different scenes/things pushed together here. I like it, but just not in this location where it feels forced. And greatly distracts from the ghostly hallway.
It's the warm, comforting yellowish light from the hallway contrasting with the stark, sterile, cold blue LED-looking light that is so jarring.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom