News Hatbox Ghost coming to Walt Disney World's Haunted Mansion

JD80

Think they just won’t bother with the animatronic at this rate and just say his ‘spirit’ is in the ride

Why? Are you being influenced by all the negative speculation in this thread? Disney said late November, it's currently mid November. They are right up against it right now and if it's not installed in the next two weeks we can all roll our eyes and laugh at Disney deadlines.

Brian

This sign is being installed on the curtain overnight. They had to steal one from World Celebration.

IMG_20170726_113111.jpg

Last edited:

Indy_UK

Why? Are you being influenced by all the negative speculation in this thread? Disney said late November, it's currently mid November. They are right up against it right now and if it's not installed in the next two weeks we can all roll our eyes and laugh at Disney deadlines.

I am joking... well aware they have a couple of weeks still. I'm not in WDW again until next summer so I will even give them to then if they need it, as it comes across like a massive infrastructure project the time it has taken.

Brian

Then don’t make comments that very clearly ignore the type of work involved.
Just to clarify, is it your position that it should reasonably take 14 months (or more, considering it wasn't announced the same day they approved the project) to install one AA figure?

lazyboy97o

Obviously it's not a spirit Halloween figure you just plug in. But the time taken seems excessive considering this isn't their first rodeo with AAs or this exact install. It is kind of odd to announce it, then go 16 months at least before it's done.
It’s not that odd when you recognize that many Disney projects are announced very early in the project development process. At some point the bellyaching about this is just deliberate ignorance. Yeah it’s kind of dumb but it’s what happens, so there shouldn’t be any surprise by the lack of visible work for some time after announcements.

That they’ve done work with other figures doesn’t really matter. Things like available power and data are not the same place-to-place, not to mention the logistics of making sure it is available within the confines of a 50 year old facility that was not designed for this scene, modern power systems or modern show control systems.

This install has not been done before. This location has never before been considered as a location for this or any other figure. It’s also the result of organizational issues that likely were not considered in the early feasibility stages of work.

lazyboy97o

Just to clarify, is it your position that it should reasonably take 14 months (or more, considering it wasn't announced the same day they approved the project) to install one AA figure?
Disney announces projects very early in the design process. They’ve even announced them before serious design work has actually begun (see TRON). I don’t know if that’s exactly the case here, but it should be generally understood that a lot of work has not actually been done when Disney announces a project.

I already laughed at them have a refurb scheduled to coincide with the movie and missing that date. Missing Halloween is also pretty pathetic. But the location issues easily could have been a real factor.

More though I take issue with statements that discount very real work that is required for projects. There is a good bit of infrastructure work that needs to be done when adding somewhat major show effects to an existing facility, and the amount of work is only going to increase the older the facility.

erasure fan1

It’s not that odd when you recognize that many Disney projects are announced very early in the project development process. At some point the bellyaching about this is just deliberate ignorance. Yeah it’s kind of dumb but it’s what happens, so there shouldn’t be any surprise by the lack of visible work for some time after announcements.

That they’ve done work with other figures doesn’t really matter. Things like available power and data are not the same place-to-place, not to mention the logistics of making sure it is available within the confines of a 50 year old facility that was not designed for this scene, modern power systems or modern show control systems.

This install has not been done before. This location has never before been considered as a location for this or any other figure. It’s also the result of organizational issues that likely were not considered in the early feasibility stages of work.
Personally I don't care either way. I get what you're saying, things are different from place to place. Everything you said about the logistics is exactly right. The only thing I'd disagree with is the they haven't done it before. They installed it in Disneyland, yea it's not the exact same, but I don't see a years worth of figuring it out.

With all that said, 16 months is a bit extreme, no? I know it's not exactly apple's to apple's. But to take about 45% of the time it took to build Epcot, to install one figure, seems a bit strange to me.

James Alucobond

With all that said, 16 months is a bit extreme, no? I know it's not exactly apple's to apple's. But to take about 45% of the time it took to build Epcot, to install one figure, seems a bit strange to me.
16 months doesn't seem that ridiculous. Consider how long the IT departments of most large companies take just to deploy a piece of software, particularly when they're working on legacy infrastructure. It's more that it's perceptually problematic because they initiate the hype cycle way too early to maintain interest, particularly when the addition is so small relative to the overall experience.

lazyboy97o

Everything you said about the logistics is exactly right. The only thing I'd disagree with is the they haven't done it before. They installed it in Disneyland, yea it's not the exact same, but I don't see a years worth of figuring it out.
The location is what drives those logistical needs. As I said, I am assuming with little evidence that the location change was not fully settled when the project was announced and that is the sort of thing that would have been a definite kink in Disney’s bureaucracy.

It’s always going to be easier to do show install in a new facility custom built for that purpose versus adding to an existing, operating facility. But you are assuming that you’re comparing build time to build time which often is not the case with recent project where people compare build time to design and build time. A new park is also going to be given a scale of resources that isn’t comparable to a new show element. Disney definitely has issues with their project timelines that appear worse because of their marketing strategy, but people also too often assume an unrealistic pace of work.

erasure fan1

Disney definitely has issues with their project timelines that appear worse because of their marketing strategy, but people also too often assume an unrealistic pace of work.
I'd say that's kind of on Disney. Like you said, they announce things way too early. Especially for how they structure their builds And we also see the pace of work that can happen down the street. Disney is notoriously slow at building anything. That's why people are questioning this build out. It did take them like 5 years to build a mildly theamed BBQ place.

Brian

The Hatbox Ghost figure is not more complex than say, the entirety of HHN event, which can be planned, scenically designed, audio viisual, operations implement, among other things.

The amount of denial is egregious.
You see, Disneyland was built in a year with 1950s technology. But now that we have 2020s technology, it takes longer than that to install and program a single audio animatronic.

Epcot81Fan

The Hatbox Ghost figure is not more complex than say, the entirety of an HHN event, which can be planned, scenically designed, audio viisual, operations implement, among other things.

The amount of denial is egregious.
Hey this is entirely new groundbreaking technology!

It’s not like there’s one already up and running 16 hours a day in the same environment in some other theme park!

Oh wait….

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom