News Hatbox Ghost coming to Walt Disney World's Haunted Mansion

hismattjesty

I have to ask how many people here have already seen it in person? I have stated in the D23 thread that this is going to disappoint people.. The effect is not always visible to you and it took us several rides before we got to see it happen. It also doesn't really look like any other ghost on the ride.. Thats a little nitpicky but the fact that it took us at least 3 rides to see it at work is a valid criticism, especially when wait time for the HM are the longest they have ever been.
I spent a week in DL and CA in March of this year, and rode The Haunted Mansion at least a dozen times. Your assessment of Hatbox Ghost is spot on. I personally love the CHARACTER and lore associated with Hatty, but it looks wildly out of place compared to the traditional asthetics in the attraction. While the effect worked flawlessly, it is definitely a timed event that you need to be positioned for. Either that, or you're looking hard to your right once you've passed it, because there's no real seeing the AA in advance of coming up on it. The only real flaw I was able to find is that when you are looking hard to your right, you can see a light gap between the screen used for the face and the back of the head. The only way to really visualize what I'm trying to say is imagine an old movie theater projector positioned behind the screen in a sealed environment, but leaking light ever so slightly through a seam in that sealed environment.

castlecake2.0

Haunted mansion is the reason I wanted to work for Disney, and I couldn’t be less whelmed by this announcement. I still don’t think the effect is that great and would have been happy if they just left him at Disneyland

yensidtlaw1969

did it close though? And I was just going off of my memories from youtube around that time
I think they took advantage of the annual Holiday closure and started prep work, and when the Mansion reopened in its normal state that January there was a construction wall they were able to keep working behind without further closure.

As I think someone else mentioned, they did mess with the Doombuggies' guide rail a little bit to make them point towards The Hatbox Ghost instead of just looking straight out at the graveyard. So it's possible the WDW Mansion may need to close for a short bit to let them make that part of the change, I don't assume that can be done overnight. But once that's done it's likely the rest of the install could move pretty quickly, and behind a temporary wall if necessary.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I think they took advantage of the annual Holiday closure and started prep work, and when the Mansion reopened in its normal state that January there was a construction wall they were able to keep working behind without further closure.

As I think someone else mentioned, they did mess with the Doombuggies' guide rail a little bit to make them point towards The Hatbox Ghost instead of just looking straight out at the graveyard. So it's possible the WDW Mansion may need to close for a short bit to let them make that part of the change, I don't assume that can be done overnight. But once that's done it's likely the rest of the install could move pretty quickly, and behind a temporary wall if necessary.

I think we're looking at a 6 month closure, at least, and probably $80-100 million to make this change in MK. I mean, this is WDI, the premier creative engineering organization in the world, we shouldn't expect anything less... right? ;)

ppete1975

5 year closure confirmed ;)

OF course its meant as a joke... because at this point with guardians, tron, the train etc.. you either laugh or you cry

AEfx

This is a cool thing if this was a throw-in as part of the presentation for WDW. If this was announced along with 3-4 other main things, I'd be excited. It will be fun to have. The problem is this is the main announcement for WDW.
What would have been really cool is if it had been "and SURPRISE! it's there now!"

We are talking a single animatronic, not some big refurbishment. It could have easily been done, hidden behind a scrim, and then revealed.

LSLS

What would have been really cool is if it had been "and SURPRISE! it's there now!"

We are talking a single animatronic, not some big refurbishment. It could have easily been done, hidden behind a scrim, and then revealed.
That's true too. The hulk meet and greet got a lot of cheers and gasps by doing that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom