News Hatbox Ghost coming to Walt Disney World's Haunted Mansion

SuddenStorm

I kind of like the idea of the Hatbox Ghost being a Disneyland exclusive... because of it's heritage as a short lived DL figure when the ride opened. Nothing wrong with keeping the attractions unique.

But, this is also the least offensive thing Disney has announced for the parks this D23 and actually is something Mansion fans will love. So bravo.

yensidtlaw1969

I kind of like the idea of the Hatbox Ghost being a Disneyland exclusive... because of it's heritage as a short lived DL figure when the ride opened. Nothing wrong with keeping the attractions unique.

But, this is also the least offensive thing Disney has announced for the parks this D23 and actually is something Mansion fans will love. So bravo.
I have to think this at least partly comes down to The Hatbox Ghost being a main character in the new Haunted Mansion movie. In Disney's mind, it would no longer make sense for the WDW Mansion to go without him. But he's popular on his own, and he sells merchandise, so this should only improve those numbers for them.

The new movie is coming out in March, unless they've changed the date, so I suspect The Hatbox Ghost will pop up in the WDW Mansion sometime near its release.

SuddenStorm

I have to think this at least partly comes down to The Hatbox Ghost being a main character in the new Haunted Mansion movie. In Disney's mind, it would no longer make sense for the WDW Mansion to go without him. But he's popular on his own, and he sells merchandise, so this should only improve those numbers for them.

The new movie is coming out in March, unless they've changed the date, so I suspect The Hatbox Ghost will pop up in the WDW Mansion sometime near its release.

I completely forgot that Disney's making a new Haunted Mansion film... let's hope adding the Hatbox Ghost to the Magic Kingdom iteration of the attraction is the only change that comes from the new film.

ppete1975

Does anyone know if this will be an overnight addition ala disneyland, or a quick under scrim like jungle cruise

Or are we looking at normal WDW and they will close the attraction till 2030

EricsBiscuit

A nice surprise.
Animated GIF

RobWDW1971

This is just a pathetic new low. It's a cloned, single, animatronic figure with minimal movement and a projection gimmick. It already exists. They are just making another one for the other coast.

Last time I rode HM, we stopped (because the ride now stops every 15 feet) right in front of the hatbox ghost. Yup. There it is. I can see the little projection light in the back of the head. It turns on. It turns off. Don't get the thrill here.

THIS counts as ground breaking news?! THIS warrants placement on a multi year global parks slide?

Sometimes I'm embarrassed to be a Disney theme park fan.

_caleb

Can’t wait to hear the backstory of MK’s Hatbox Ghost explaining his connection to the Society of Explorers and Adventurers.

JoeCamel

This is just a pathetic new low. It's a cloned, single, animatronic figure with minimal movement and a projection gimmick. It already exists. They are just making another one for the other coast.

Last time I rode HM, we stopped (because the ride now stops every 15 feet) right in front of the hatbox ghost. Yup. There it is. I can see the little projection light in the back of the head. It turns on. It turns off. Don't get the thrill here.

THIS counts as ground breaking news?! THIS warrants placement on a multi year global parks slide?

Sometimes I'm embarrassed to be a Disney theme park fan.
Maybe they built two and now they have a spare? No parade but here's an AA

bhg469

I have to ask how many people here have already seen it in person? I have stated in the D23 thread that this is going to disappoint people.. The effect is not always visible to you and it took us several rides before we got to see it happen. It also doesn't really look like any other ghost on the ride.. Thats a little nitpicky but the fact that it took us at least 3 rides to see it at work is a valid criticism, especially when wait time for the HM are the longest they have ever been.

ToTBellHop

I have to ask how many people here have already seen it in person? I have stated in the D23 thread that this is going to disappoint people.. The effect is not always visible to you and it took us several rides before we got to see it happen. It also doesn't really look like any other ghost on the ride.. Thats a little nitpicky but the fact that it took us at least 3 rides to see it at work is a valid criticism, especially when wait time for the HM are the longest they have ever been.
I loved it at DL…he looks different but he’s your solitary focus where he is placed so I didn’t find that to be distracting. Personally, I wouldn’t balk at some of the graveyard visuals from Phantom Manor coming to our ride. Are we really going to still have Walmart masks on sticks in 50 years?

Touchdown

The DLR installation was not overnight, first, during the annual Halloweentown eviction the doombuggies track was altered so instead of staring out towards the graveyard the buggies focused on the roof to the right of the exit of the attic, which noticeably looked different and now seemed to have been altered. This is when most insiders and fans knew HBG was coming, even though it wasn’t officially announced. The HMH to HM transformation takes 2-3 weeks, so who knows how long they needed to alter the set and buggies.

Then as mentioned the animatronic was installed and hidden behind a wall for awhile. I suspect that HM will need to briefly close to start this process and it will either occur just after Halloween, or right after Christmas with it reopening either just in time for Thanksgiving or Splashes (final?) winter closure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom