News Hatbox Ghost coming to Walt Disney World's Haunted Mansion

ppete1975

Scott's usually very accurate, but if this isn't to install Hat Box...what the heck?!
maybe they want it to be a surprise so they are saying its not. Although i assume they can do it in one night, so it really doesnt need multiple days. They could have been doing the setup for installation for months so the place hes going is ready. And the hatbox ghost is ready. So its basically plug and play, mess with the lighting, synching, and making sure its perfect good enough for the next day. These things really shouldnt take massive amounts of time, when most of the work can be done off stage.

TheMaxRebo

maybe they want it to be a surprise so they are saying its not. Although i assume they can do it in one night, so it really doesnt need multiple days. They could have been doing the setup for installation for months so the place hes going is ready. And the hatbox ghost is ready. So its basically plug and play, mess with the lighting, synching, and making sure its perfect good enough for the next day. These things really shouldnt take massive amounts of time, when most of the work can be done off stage.

maybe the closure isn't FOR the hatbox ghost but for other legit maintenance .... but they just happen to add the figure at the same time, completely unrelated of course

Can you confirm that he'll be there on the 10th? Or is it like DL where the refurb jumpstarted the install but then the attraction reopened while work continued at night until he was ready?

Also, do you know where in the Mansion he's going? I've heard he may not go in the same spot as DL, and some of the places I've heard floated for him are surprising.
Are you able to tell us the surprising locations where you have heard he might be going in the WDW HM?

DisneyFanatic12

Very true, the only time consuming thing is if they choose to update the guide track where they install the hatbox ghost so that you turn to see it (or you at least see it for longer). The turning is all done mechanically, so there is an arm and another track under the floor to handle the rotation of the “doom buggies”.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I'd think installation would be fairly quick. It's the testing and getting him show-ready (along with vehicle and ride ops changes) that will take some time. It's not a Spirit Halloween decoration. It's a little more than Plug n Play. Perhaps they're going to take this brief downtime to set him up under scrims and test in the off hours, similar to what they did with the one in DL until such time that he's made ready to materialize.

yensidtlaw1969

Are you able to tell us the surprising locations where you have heard he might be going in the WDW HM?
I've heard a couple different things from a couple different people, some which have repeated others, so hopefully none of these cause any trouble (especially since I'm clearly not sure what to believe).

I've heard they've considered some of the places they were thinking for Disneyland before they settled on his spot outside the Attic - namely somewhere down in the Graveyard, or in the Ballroom, or squeezing him in his "old" spot in the Attic. Not sure why they would pick any of those for WDW when they didn't pick them for Disneyland.

His current spot at DL came largely from wanting to show him off as an effective example of close-up magic, which is very difficult to achieve. The Graveyard or the Ballroom would put him further away, and seemed like a waste of an impressive figure that could pull off his trick convincingly even at close range. However, his old spot in the Attic was not picked mainly because Constance and the Husband Portraits need a good bit of light to work. Ironically, too much light in the Attic was what got him kicked out of it in the first place.

The weirder spots I've heard mentioned were The Endless Hallway and the Escher Stairs. At first I wasn't inclined to believe either one, if for no other reason than the "Leota Rule", where no ghosts materialize in the ride until after she summons them, but then I heard those both from a few different people and I couldn't help but wonder if there might be something to it. The Endless Hallway seemed like a particularly stubborn rumor, which shocked me. That would be very different from Disneyland.

I've also heard that something else might have been being considered for The Endless Hallway at WDW, but I can't say what that is (or whether it'll happen). So I'm not sure if it's a matter of multiple people getting wires crossed or if the HBG really might just end up there, but it seems like somebody is looking at that scene for plussing.

Fun Fact: Before his return to Disneyland, The Hatbox Ghost was also considered to become a "surprise" 4th Hitchhiking Ghost in the mirrors. He would not have joined them in the archway, and there would only be one of him on the Ghosty-Go Round, so he'd have been more rare than the other 3 and you'd have to be extra lucky to get him in your Doombuggy. But of course it didn't happen, and far as I know nothing like this has been considered for WDW.

Last edited:

TheMaxRebo

The weirder spots I've heard mentioned were The Endless Hallway and the Escher Stairs. At first I wasn't inclined to believe either one, if for no other reason than the "Leota Rule", where no ghosts materialize in the ride until after she summons them, but then I heard those both from a few different people and I couldn't help but wonder if there might be something to it. The Endless Hallway seemed like a particularly stubborn rumor, which shocked me. That would be very different from Disneyland.

the Endless Hallway spot would make it similar to how the character has been teased in trailers for the movie, so maybe that is why they have that connection/thought process?

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I've heard a couple different things from a couple different people, some which have repeated others, so hopefully none of these cause any trouble (especially since I'm clearly not sure what to believe).

I've heard they've considered some of the places they were thinking for Disneyland before they settled on his spot outside the Attic - namely somewhere down in the Graveyard, or in the Ballroom, or squeezing him in his "old" spot in the Attic. Not sure why they would pick any of those for WDW when they didn't pick them for Disneyland.

His current spot at DL came largely from wanting to show him off as an effective example of close-up magic, which is very difficult to achieve. The Graveyard or the Ballroom would put him further away, and seemed like a waste of an impressive figure that could pull off his trick convincingly even at close range. However, his old spot in the Attic was not picked mainly because Constance and the Husband Portraits need a good bit of light to work. Ironically, too much light in the Attic was what got him kicked out of it in the first place.

I've also heard that something else might have been being considered for The Endless Hallway at WDW, but I can't say what that is (or whether it'll happen). So I'm not sure if it's a matter of multiple people getting wires crossed or if the HBG really might just end up there, but it seems like somebody is looking at that scene for plussing.

Fun Fact: Before his return to Disneyland, The Hatbox Ghost was also considered to become a "surprise" 4th Hitchhiking Ghost in the mirrors. He would not have joined them in the archway, and there would only be one of him on the Ghosty-Go Round, so he'd have been more rare than the other 3 and you'd have to be extra lucky to get him in your Doombuggy. But of course it didn't happen, and far as I know nothing like this has been considered for WDW.
I've heard the Graveyard location rumor as well, opposite Caretaker. Interesting choice if true. Would take on a "traveling salesman" type angle.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Really boils down to how they plan to use him. Will he be an independent character or companion to the larger Ghost Bride narrative?

yensidtlaw1969

Really boils down to how they plan to use him. Will he be an independent character or companion to the larger Ghost Bride narrative?

If he's put anywhere other than where he is at Disneyland (or inside the Attic), I would guess independent.

I hear The Hatbox Ghost and the Bride are not linked in the movie - that Constance is not even referred to by name, and is basically an ensemble character.

mysto

I hope they don't just overdub pirate voices muttering "captain Jack Sparrow" in random places.

But seriously parts of the graveyard could use a little spice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom