Has the entire resort ever been completely shuttered in 50 years?

Pepper's Ghost

My issue with all of this is really 2 things:

1) The media is doing a disservice by creating more panic, in my opinion. They are constantly projecting, speculating, and extrapolating. Looking at the raw numbers, I don’t see it...yet. Maybe I will, but <100 deaths of mostly elderly in the US is certainly not congruent with the current panic level.

While I don't definitively disagree with this, I have to say that the fact that you're laying a bit too much of the blame on the media. Sure, they were the first to ring the bell, and they've done so constantly, but I wouldn't say that they've overreacted because the government (local and fed) are finally catching up to the urgency of the situation. You can't say they're creating a panic at the same time the government is taking unprecedented actions to shut everything down.

Again, I'm not outright disagreeing with you. The media has been known to blow things out of proportion by jumping on it really early. This time though they may have been on point even though their original intent was for ratings.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
While I don't definitively disagree with this, I have to say that the fact that you're laying a bit too much of the blame on the media. Sure, they were the first to ring the bell, and they've done so constantly, but I wouldn't say that they've overreacted because the government (local and fed) are finally catching up to the urgency of the situation. You can't say they're creating a panic at the same time the government is taking unprecedented actions to shut everything down.

Again, I'm not outright disagreeing with you. The media has been known to blow things out of proportion by jumping on it really early. This time though they may have been on point even though their original intent was for ratings.
Good thoughts.

People need to deal in facts and common sense at this time...not buzz phrases and excuses.

Pepper's Ghost

People need to deal in facts and common sense at this time...not buzz phrases and excuses.

This is a great comment! It's not directed specifically at anyone other than those who are not speaking in facts and truth. I'm okay with someone drawing a conclusion as long as they state it as their opinion. I always respect an opposing opinion. I don't always understand it, but as long as there's logic in the opinion, I respect it. You can't state opinion as fact "just because", and state that alternate opinions are false or fake. Opinions are like bungholes... everyone's got one.

The issue as I see it is too many people are equating their opinion as facts these days. It's tearing the country apart. I don't care if you're the most ardent liberal, or a staunch conservative. Facts are facts, and the rest is opinion. If we could get back to accepting facts, and respecting others' opinions as exactly that... opinion, we'd be in a better place politically.

Chef Mickey

They are only reporting the negative news, which is another problem. Why aren’t we hearing about the recoveries? I think I know. This is getting them huge ratings and enormous numbers of clicks. It’s all negative. People are absolutely engrossed in this and even more so because they literally have nothing else to do. Maybe it’s all real data, but the ratings are probably huge...so it’s like they have to keep repeating it Even if stepping back and looking at the data makes you stop and ask what am I really looking at here.

This is still an enormous puzzle to me. We have either done a better job stopping the spread than is being reported, or it’s just not as bad as we are being told.

I look at the official infection and death numbers every day....and I just don’t see it. Everything we are doing is based on a projection of it getting far, far worse than it is today. That’s fine, I hope it doesn’t. I think we should be taking extreme steps to make sure it doesn’t get out of control, but the data is somewhat encouraging....particularly because we have taken extreme steps to slow it and we aren’t yet out of control.

I mean, 80,000 flu deaths in America in a single year barely makes the news and 120 deaths from a new virus shuts down the economy. I get it..simplified, but you do have to ask yourself if this makes sense.

RobWDW1971

They are only reporting the negative news, which is another problem. Why aren’t we hearing about the recoveries? I think I know. This is getting them huge ratings and enormous numbers of clicks. It’s all negative. People are absolutely engrossed in this and even more so because they literally have nothing else to do. Maybe it’s all real data, but the ratings are probably huge...so it’s like they have to keep repeating it Even if stepping back and looking at the data makes you stop and ask what am I really looking at here.

This is still an enormous puzzle to me. We have either done a better job stopping the spread than is being reported, or it’s just not as bad as we are being told.

I look at the official infection and death numbers every day....and I just don’t see it. Everything we are doing is based on a projection of it getting far, far worse than it is today. That’s fine, I hope it doesn’t. I think we should be taking extreme steps to make sure it doesn’t get out of control, but the data is somewhat encouraging....particularly because we have taken extreme steps to slow it and we aren’t yet out of control.

I mean, 80,000 flu deaths in America in a single year barely makes the news and 120 deaths from a new virus shuts down the economy. I get it..simplified, but you do have to ask yourself if this makes sense.
Just look at the size and amount of headlines about Tom Hanks being infected and then the headlines about him being released and playing cards in a condo. Says it all.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
1. It’s not the flu. There is no vaccine as there is the flu strain...there are no proscribed course of treatment. And this virus could be 30x more communicable.
2. The “positive” news would embolden those that are prone to relax their behavior and they would do so...which would increase the spread. So that makes no sense to be a party to if you ARE The news.
3. You worried about the economy? It may be destroyed by quarantine. But it would DEFINITELY be destroyed if you stretch this out to 6 or more months. We are in the “endgame” on a crisis and I’m fresh out of Ironmans to save the day.
4. If you look at the numbers...then you know the leading experts are scared 💩less about the high model estimates. These are the smartest people in a difficult field. They are neither stupid nor skiddish. Believe them and do what the hell they say.
5. If whatever “news” you are consuming is even hinting about a hoax or a “nationality” to a virus...dump it and get better sources. Now.

bigrigross

I believe the world (especially the US) is not doing enough. It took way too long for our country to respond. Yes, its not as deadly as MERS, Ebola, SARS, Smallpox. But what we do today, will hopefully get future policies in place for WHEN the next pandemic hits. A pandemic which will not have a 96% survival rate. That way the world reacts faster and contains it faster. Also while providing financial support to people and businesses. This was a pandemic with training wheels. Fortunately. Also hopefully this changes some aspects of our life with better understanding of hygiene.

jloucks

It seems that the two factors that make this bigger than H1N1 are that its extremely contagious, it can survive outside of hosts for several days, and many people who have it may not even know it.
Actually, you were pretty spot on! H1N1 was significantly harder to catch. Not "suck a duck face" harder, but still much harder. I saw a graph a few day ago, I wish I saved it.

...Ill look for it and post if I can find.

jloucks

People for whatever reason, love drama. Love it. Revel in it. So yea, the press is going to work that angle.

Doesn't change the fact this covid is out of the bag and at least 4x as bad as the flu. Any way you cut it, that is going to make all the headlines.

Which then makes me wonder if there is really something more to it. I have been watching the World Health Organizations death-o-meter and for those that don't know, the average kill percentage is going up every single day. You have to do a little math to see this, as they don't spell it out for you. But just divide cases by deaths. At this rate it will be 5% soon. Which sounds low, but in reality is really really freakin high.

On Edit: It is up to 4.16% this morning. 207855 cases, 8548 deaths.

An yes, I realize this doesn't count unreported cases.

Chef Mickey

People for whatever reason, love drama. Love it. Revel in it. So yea, the press is going to work that angle.

Doesn't change the fact this covid is out of the bag and at least 4x as bad as the flu. Any way you cut it, that is going to make all the headlines.

Which then makes me wonder if there is really something more to it. I have been watching the World Health Organizations death-o-meter and for those that don't know, the average kill percentage is going up every single day. You have to do a little math to see this, as they don't spell it out for you. But just divide cases by deaths. At this rate it will be 5% soon. Which sounds low, but in reality is really really freakin high.

On Edit: It is up to 4.16% this morning. 207855 cases, 8548 deaths.

An yes, I realize this doesn't count unreported cases.
The unreported cases missing is huge. It’s everything.

Early on, death rates will look a little high for old populations, like Italy. Initially, this virus will impact the weak first and thus will kill some of them.

If it spreads in a meaningful way and we get more reported positive tests, that rate will drop, no question.

I still think it’s way too early to make any conclusion about death rate and the virus hasn’t even approached the lethality or the 2018 flu.

Chef Mickey

I believe the world (especially the US) is not doing enough. It took way too long for our country to respond. Yes, its not as deadly as MERS, Ebola, SARS, Smallpox. But what we do today, will hopefully get future policies in place for WHEN the next pandemic hits. A pandemic which will not have a 96% survival rate. That way the world reacts faster and contains it faster. Also while providing financial support to people and businesses. This was a pandemic with training wheels. Fortunately. Also hopefully this changes some aspects of our life with better understanding of hygiene.
Banning travel from China was done very early on, with someone calling it racist. There are <10,000 cases in the US with most places now on lockdown since last week. We got it pretty early.

We are never going to lockdown as effectively as China, so that ship has sailed. Our current efforts have to be helping. We’ll see. Dr. Fauci said yesterday it’s helping.

bigrigross

Banning travel from China was done very early on, with someone calling it racist. There are <10,000 cases in the US with most places now on lockdown since last week. We got it pretty early.

We are never going to lockdown as effectively as China, so that ship has sailed. Our current efforts have to be helping. We’ll see. Dr. Fauci said yesterday it’s helping.

If this was a variation to Ebola or Mers, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now. With the delay in government accepting this, millions could have been dead if this was a much more deadly virus. Sure yeah, this virus isnt terrible. But one day, we will run into one that is not. This just showed the world HOW TO NOT face a pandemic and instead ensure we have supplies ready to go and protocols in place. People can be non-chalant all they want about this virus. Doesnt change the fact that the world wasnt prepared. The US still isnt even mass testing. If you think we are prepared and did everything we could possibly have done, I have some swamp land in Antarctica to sell you.

RobWDW1971

If this was a variation to Ebola or Mers, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now. With the delay in government accepting this, millions could have been dead if this was a much more deadly virus. Sure yeah, this virus isnt terrible. But one day, we will run into one that is not. This just showed the world HOW TO NOT face a pandemic and instead ensure we have supplies ready to go and protocols in place. People can be non-chalant all they want about this virus. Doesnt change the fact that the world wasnt prepared. The US still isnt even mass testing. If you think we are prepared and did everything we could possibly have done, I have some swamp land in Antarctica to sell you.
It actually could have the opposite effect - this could turn out to be a classic "cry wolf" situation that when the country reflects in a couple of months on what was done, how much of the economy was devastated, for a disease that "only" killed so many people it could prevent us from taking important measures in the future. People will remember this for a long time and will be hesitant to ever do this again unless they are sure the pain is worth the gain. Still TBD.

Astro_Digital

Yesterday in Italy 400 people died....
Sure out of what about 70 million but nobody is saying ..... let the virus wild and if you are old or have health problems to bad.

This has never happened or has anything like this happened in the past but watching YouTube yesterday in Downtown Disney a few private owned businesses maybe open ? Some resorts are open ?

jloucks

The unreported cases missing is huge. It’s everything.

Early on, death rates will look a little high for old populations, like Italy. Initially, this virus will impact the weak first and thus will kill some of them.

If it spreads in a meaningful way and we get more reported positive tests, that rate will drop, no question.

I still think it’s way too early to make any conclusion about death rate and the virus hasn’t even approached the lethality or the 2018 flu.
Well thats good news.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

This is just another iteration in a different media environment for Yellow Journalism ...William Randolph Hearst and Joseph Pulitzer, journalism of the 1890s used melodrama, romance, and hyperbole to sell millions of newspapers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom