Has the entire resort ever been completely shuttered in 50 years?

po1998

Original Poster
I know in the past, parks have been closed for hurricanes, some resorts were shuttered after 9/11, but has the entire resort every been completely shutdown for any length of time in its 50 year existence?

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Unprecedented. Although I realize how serious and awful COVID-19 is, I don't understand why this one is so much worse than H1N1 which killed >151,700 people. Why wasn't there a similar reaction to that one? This is a sincere question by the way.
Good question. I don’t think there’s been a good job done of explaining this. I was going to type a mini essay, but then realized I’m tired and google exists.

Chef Mickey

Unprecedented. Although I realize how serious and awful COVID-19 is, I don't understand why this one is so much worse than H1N1 which killed >151,700 people. Why wasn't there a similar reaction to that one? This is a sincere question by the way.
It’s all perception of what is your measure of “worse.” If people dying is your measure, the regular old flu killed 80,000 Americans in a single year just 2 years ago, and likely over 500,000 worldwide...but no one thinks twice about it.

If the unknown worries you, this is a new virus with no vaccine or treatment.

Still, does it require this level of economic Armageddon? I think we’ll look back and see this was probably overkill, but What’s the cost of being wrong? Who knows.

My issue with all of this is really 2 things:

1) The media is doing a disservice by creating more panic, in my opinion. They are constantly projecting, speculating, and extrapolating. Looking at the raw numbers, I don’t see it...yet. Maybe I will, but <100 deaths of mostly elderly in the US is certainly not congruent with the current panic level.

2) The efforts to contain are simply not aggressive enough if you’re doing a full quarantine. We didn’t implement and still aren’t implementing it nearly as well as China. We can’t, for many reasons. So I question the long term viability of doing this. What’s the end game? No cases? Fewer cases? When do we go back to life?

In the end, the flu is underrated...this is probably overrated. The virus is out now, so we are going to find out how bad it is. I personally think millions of people have it with little or no symptoms, which means we are going to be OK. Mortality rate is likely drastically lower due to unreported cases.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not even close..:this is unprecedented and hopefully a one time deal.

Disney parks and resorts have been in operation everyday somewhere since 7/17/1955. That will no longer be the case this Friday or sooner

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Disney parks have been in operation everyday somewhere since 7/17/1955. That will no longer be the case this Friday or sooner
Pretty sure it didn’t operate the day of Kennedy’s funeral. There’s also the argument for when it wasn’t open 7 days a week.

Regardless, it’s still unprecedented in this day and age.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Pretty sure it didn’t operate the day of Kennedy’s funeral. There’s also the argument for when it wasn’t open 7 days a week.

Regardless, it’s still unprecedented in this day and age.
I meant including hotels/retail complexes. The Kennedy assassination might be the only exception to that...I would think. Definitely not since wdw and then Tokyo came on line.

The scale of this is amazing

I clarified the post...made it a little more “wordy” 😎

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Indeed here would be the list below...

In fact - the day Kennedy was assassinated would be the only potential day as Disney did not own any hotel or outside retail outlets at the time...

Kennedy was shot at 12:30 pm central Time on 11/22/63. So would Disneyland have been open at 10:30 pst and been evacuated?

Interesting sequence of events this week - for sure.

Kamikaze

Disney parks and resorts have been in operation everyday somewhere since 7/17/1955. That will no longer be the case this Friday or sooner

This is untrue. Disneyland did not operate every single day for the entire year til the 80s. Disneyland Hotel was not operated by Disney, so on every day it was closed until WDW opened, all Disney P&R were closed. And with parts of SDL reopening, it will not be the case that the entire division is shut down at once.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is untrue. Disneyland did not operate every single day for the entire year til the 80s. Disneyland Hotel was not operated by Disney, so on every day it was closed until WDW opened, all Disney P&R were closed. And with parts of SDL reopening, it will not be the case that the entire division is shut down at once.
Are we trying to “downplay” the scope of this...comfort in semantics?

How about this: “first time all normal operations of Disney labeled parks and resorts have been off their normal schedule due to emergency with the lone possible exception of the Kennedy assassination...and Aluani...for now...if you can get there without planes or boats”

I’ll stick with “unprecedented”...I like that word.

I’d Shanghai reopens...that will make it all ok.
I just saw that the Chinese expelled US press from some major outlets...that’s encouraging 😳

“Nothing to see here”

The Empress Lilly

The lack of excess respirators and the onset of ARDS is the biggest part to me. It doesn’t take much before we’re in triage. Now, to the bigger “are we over reacting” question, I don’t know how to determine that.
I read that the lockdown saves more lives from pollution, traffic, alcohol than from Covid-19. Except in the most pessimistic pandemic scenarios.

Which gives one pause for thought. We all but halt society to prevent a flu with a 96% survival rate, but not to save the planet.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I read that the lockdown saves more lives from pollution, traffic, alcohol than from Covid-19. Except in the most pessimistic pandemic scenarios.

Which gives one pause for thought. We all but halt society to prevent a flu with a 96% survival rate, but not to save the planet.
Easy there...

I’m a firm believer that you really can’t effectively block money and politics from any adult discussion...it colors all things...

But we need to try. Almost every thread is off the political rails at this point except the self-aggrandizing stupidity ones.

Hopefully we can debate the state of the environment again soon 😎

Kamikaze

Are we trying to “downplay” the scope of this...comfort in semantics?

How about this: “first time all normal operations of Disney labeled parks and resorts have been off their normal schedule due to emergency with the lone possible exception of the Kennedy assassination...and Aluani...for now...if you can get there without planes or boats”

I’ll stick with “unprecedented”...I like that word.

I’d Shanghai reopens...that will make it all ok.
I just saw that the Chinese expelled US press from some major outlets...that’s encouraging 😳

“Nothing to see here”

No, I'm just correcting your information which was not factual. I did not make any other statements.

Phroobar

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom