Has StormStruck struck?

coasterphil

I just got back from EPCOT and StormStruck is in soft opening phase. The children's interactive area is open, but the storm simulator portion was not. There were CMs in the queue area for that portion discussing things and looking around, so I'm sure it won't be long until that will be ready for the public. That is if they haven't already had it open at another point during the day when I didn't pass by.

coasterphil

I went past first around 2:45 and they were just letting people out since things weren't working and when I swung back around a little after 4 things were back up and running.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I finally got to check out Storm Struck over the weekend and I really liked it.

A little background on myself...I am a wood truss engineer and have been knee deep in the industry that this attraction represents for 14 years. Coming from that angle this attraction does a great job in providing accurate information in both storm preparation and storm resistant construction. It also does a great job in dispelling 2 huge storm myths. Those being keep a window or a door open to "equalize pressure" and taping your windows to prevent them from breaking.

The attraction itself is one of the most extreme Inoventions attractions I have ever seen. There is quite a bit of noise, wind and water effects that really make this a fun attraction. If you have really little ones or kids that scare easy you might want to preview it before you take them on. The theater is pretty small (less than 50 seats) which can make for a little of a wait if there is a crowd as the show cycle is around 25 minutes.

I would have liked to see them go deeper in the construction aspect of it but that is simply because I am in the industry. I do however think that they went deep enough into it for a layperson.

EPCOT Explorer

Original Poster
I finally got to check out Storm Struck over the weekend and I really liked it.

A little background on myself...I am a wood truss engineer and have been knee deep in the industry that this attraction represents for 14 years. Coming from that angle this attraction does a great job in providing accurate information in both storm preparation and storm resistant construction. It also does a great job in dispelling 2 huge storm myths. Those being keep a window or a door open to "equalize pressure" and taping your windows to prevent them from breaking.

The attraction itself is one of the most extreme Inoventions attractions I have ever seen. There is quite a bit of noise, wind and water effects that really make this a fun attraction. If you have really little ones or kids that scare easy you might want to preview it before you take them on. The theater is pretty small (less than 50 seats) which can make for a little of a wait if there is a crowd as the show cycle is around 25 minutes.

I would have liked to see them go deeper in the construction aspect of it but that is simply because I am in the industry. I do however think that they went deep enough into it for a layperson.
VERY Interesting...I tried to see when it was in soft opening but it was closed.Somehitng to look foward top next trip!

Glad you liked it and thanks for your report!:wave:

wardpr68

i saw it when i was there from august 20th to 29th... it would have been about the 24th that i saw it.

It's a pretty good show and the whole interactivity with choosing what to build the house out of to make it last better in the hurricane was pretty fun. I would say its a must try at Epcot.

EPCOT Explorer

Original Poster
i saw it when i was there from august 20th to 29th... it would have been about the 24th that i saw it.

It's a pretty good show and the whole interactivity with choosing what to build the house out of to make it last better in the hurricane was pretty fun. I would say its a must try at Epcot.

Hopefully you are in the majority and this brings bigger and better weather things over to EPCOT.:D

EPCOT Explorer

Original Poster
I would love to see it. The weather concept has so much potential for both thrill and edutainment attractions.
So would I.

Land-Sea-Space-Air is just a given.:D

And it's just a shame that Space is on the wrong side of FW and where Horizons 2.0(or 3.0 now-LOL) should be.;)

Lucky

I saw StormStruck last Saturday. I think it's one of the best things in Innoventions. It seems to be a 15-minute wait or less most of the time. Each person in the audience gets to vote on a series of questions, with the percentages choosing each answer showing up on the screen. That's a nice touch, so it's not a purely passive experience.

mousespouse

After visiting StormStruck last week, I have no desire to go again. And, if someone could only visit Epcot once a year I would recommend skipping this show altogether.

The wait for our family was about 25 minutes. The presentation is really for older kids and adults. I'd suggest being at least eight years old; the language/terms used are not kid-friendly. [How is a little kid suppose to understand building terms?] There isn't anything FUN about having water sprayed all over your face (for some reason I got drenched and yes, I was wearing my 3D glasses). And, I can't imagine little kids enjoying the winds.

Just my thoughts.

EPCOT Explorer

Original Poster
I saw StormStruck last Saturday. I think it's one of the best things in Innoventions. It seems to be a 15-minute wait or less most of the time. Each person in the audience gets to vote on a series of questions, with the percentages choosing each answer showing up on the screen. That's a nice touch, so it's not a purely passive experience.

Good to hear.I think WDI has a winner.:D

After visiting StormStruck last week, I have no desire to go again. And, if someone could only visit Epcot once a year I would recommend skipping this show altogether.

The wait for our family was about 25 minutes. The presentation is really for older kids and adults. I'd suggest being at least eight years old; the language/terms used are not kid-friendly. [How is a little kid suppose to understand building terms?] There isn't anything FUN about having water sprayed all over your face (for some reason I got drenched and yes, I was wearing my 3D glasses). And, I can't imagine little kids enjoying the winds.

Just my thoughts.

Sorry you feel that way.

Just my thoughts.

Hmmm - 3D glasses and being sprayed with water? Don't they already pull this same stunt at Tough to be a Bug and Philharmagic? :animwink:

I'm actually relieved to hear that it's not little kid-oriented. Too much of that is what killed the Living Seas.

t3techcom18

I saw StormStruck bout 3 weeks ago, probably being the first venture going into Innoventions for a LONG while to actually visit something there instead of me using it as an A/Ced shortcut due to the heat like I usually do.

Opinion? A waste of time in the eyes of a native Floridian/lived-through-lots-of-hurricanes/regular theme park goer. BUT, if I think in the mindset of a non-Floridian, a first/annual visitor or someone who isn't familiar with hurricanes, then yeah, it's gunna be pretty good.

Opinion of the native Floridian/lived-through-lots-of-hurricanes/regular theme park goer? Well, first of all, the whole thing is very gimmicky. The 3-D effects are very generic, run of the mill. Sure, it caught me offguard, and made me laugh, but it was nice enough for just ONCE...4 times in the whole show made me annoyed. It just got cheesy and old FAST. The choices of what to do in the reenactment sequence at the end is a nice idea, but the script goes falls off the deep-end, leaving the people with the CM's insinuating what to push. Then, as a Floridian growing up in FL, I've been through my fair share of hurricanes. The ONLY thing that caught my attention in the whole kahuna was them debunking the myths and stories of what to do and what not to do for hurricane prep, and that was really insightful. Other than that, it was BLEH.

Opinion through a first/annual visitor? It's pretty good. A nice little diversion from the rest of the stuff in the park, but, other than that, that's pretty much it.

Sooo, bottom line: Depends on your cup of tea. If you want something different, go ahead and try it out. Otherwise, if you're a regular, then it's nothing new. As much as I hate to say it, Twister at USF feels much more realistic and actually gives you a reason to worry through it's destruction and sheer force than this long infomerical does.

I still want WDW to bring StormRider, and when that happens, that's gunna be awesome....one can dream...

EPCOT Explorer

Original Poster
Hmmm - 3D glasses and being sprayed with water? Don't they already pull this same stunt at Tough to be a Bug and Philharmagic? :animwink:

I'm actually relieved to hear that it's not little kid-oriented. Too much of that is what killed the Living Seas.
:lookaroun

*applauds*

I saw StormStruck bout 3 weeks ago, probably being the first venture going into Innoventions for a LONG while to actually visit something there instead of me using it as an A/Ced shortcut due to the heat like I usually do.

Opinion? A waste of time in the eyes of a native Floridian/lived-through-lots-of-hurricanes/regular theme park goer. BUT, if I think in the mindset of a non-Floridian, a first/annual visitor or someone who isn't familiar with hurricanes, then yeah, it's gunna be pretty good.

Opinion of the native Floridian/lived-through-lots-of-hurricanes/regular theme park goer? Well, first of all, the whole thing is very gimmicky. The 3-D effects are very generic, run of the mill. Sure, it caught me offguard, and made me laugh, but it was nice enough for just ONCE...4 times in the whole show made me annoyed. It just got cheesy and old FAST. The choices of what to do in the reenactment sequence at the end is a nice idea, but the script goes falls off the deep-end, leaving the people with the CM's insinuating what to push. Then, as a Floridian growing up in FL, I've been through my fair share of hurricanes. The ONLY thing that caught my attention in the whole kahuna was them debunking the myths and stories of what to do and what not to do for hurricane prep, and that was really insightful. Other than that, it was BLEH.

Opinion through a first/annual visitor? It's pretty good. A nice little diversion from the rest of the stuff in the park, but, other than that, that's pretty much it.

Sooo, bottom line: Depends on your cup of tea. If you want something different, go ahead and try it out. Otherwise, if you're a regular, then it's nothing new. As much as I hate to say it, Twister at USF feels much more realistic and actually gives you a reason to worry through it's destruction and sheer force than this long infomerical does.

I still want WDW to bring StormRider, and when that happens, that's gunna be awesome....one can dream...

I dunno...It sounds like fun to me.:shrug::)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom