Has Disney Pricing Increases/Atmosphere Cuts Altered YOUR FAMILIES WDW Attendance?

How has Disney Pricing Increases/Atmosphere Cuts Altered YOUR Attendance

• No effect. Absorbed all price changes without changing itineraries and are content with atmosphere

Votes: 82 18.1%
  • No effect yet. However, recent changes have us planning to reduce our WDW spending.

Votes: 89 19.6%
  • Attendance the same, but we have cut back on ADR's, hotel quality/location, etc.

Votes: 62 13.7%
  • We used to go more than once a year. Now we go less often, but still splurge when we do go.

Votes: 15 3.3%
  • We used to go more than once a year. Now we go just once, but still splurge.

Votes: 18 4.0%
  • We used to go at least once a year. Now we go every other year.

Votes: 76 16.7%
  • We used to go at least once a year. Now we don't plan to go at all.

Votes: 62 13.7%
  • We used to go every once in a while. Now we don't plan to go at all.

Votes: 26 5.7%
  • We used to have higher tier passes. Now we have lower tier passes.

Votes: 16 3.5%
  • We used to have passes. Now we don't have passes.

Votes: 86 18.9%

• Total voters

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Update: At the 300 voters mark of the suggested 400 voter minimum to make the poll 'valid', the numbers are similar to where they were at 100 votes. In fact, the numbers are showing that 80 percent of voters have reduced the way they attend or spend at WDW because of increased prices and/or decreased value due to atmosphere cuts. Wow. I knew I wasn't alone in being affected by this downward spiral Disney management has been sending the parks in, but I figured there would be way less among the Disney faithful. If we haven't passed the tipping point yet, we have to be really close.
Lol...I was watching that too...

Shhhh!!! Wait till 400 and then we can tell the doggie that they made a “bad doo doo” and put their nose in it 🤫

Mr. Moderate

Been going regularly since 2002 with my family and we struggled to go in the beginning as a young family, but loved it so much we found a way to go. We were truly fans of the parks and resorts and bought into DVC and at one time, became AP holders going twice a year in some cases. With the recent changes and increases over the past few years, our passion has dimmed to the point that last winter we sold both contracts and let the AP's expire. My wife and I make more now, then at any point in our lives, but we both see no value in going to WDW like we used to. It's kind of painful to us to see how everything has changed, the cutbacks, and the price increases have turned us off. I'm tired of the greed and grabbing with both hands by the Disney Corp and it's apparent that they don't value us as customers and could care less. It's a dangerous business strategy to not value your loyal clientele and only think about the short term gains and quick profits. There just isn't any value or reason for us to justify the expense anymore.

There's other things to see and do on vacation and for right now, I have no desire to come back with the way things are. I feel sadness at saying that because there's things that I loved about going to the parks, but Disney made the decision to price many of us out.

Chi84

Premium Member
I'm not too crazy about looking at construction either, but that's how they keep things fresh and updated and increase the magic. We go every year in May, and each year it seems there are more people in the parks, the resorts and at Disney Springs. I'm so happy this is now a valid poll and shows that there will be fewer people in the future. Can't wait to report back next May!

Note: I’m just kidding about the poll. No need to explain to me that it’s not valid or to get into random sampling, etc.

Last edited:

jimbaker84

Been going regularly since 2002 with my family and we struggled to go in the beginning as a young family, but loved it so much we found a way to go. We were truly fans of the parks and resorts and bought into DVC and at one time, became AP holders going twice a year in some cases. With the recent changes and increases over the past few years, our passion has dimmed to the point that last winter we sold both contracts and let the AP's expire. My wife and I make more now, then at any point in our lives, but we both see no value in going to WDW like we used to. It's kind of painful to us to see how everything has changed, the cutbacks, and the price increases have turned us off. I'm tired of the greed and grabbing with both hands by the Disney Corp and it's apparent that they don't value us as customers and could care less. It's a dangerous business strategy to not value your loyal clientele and only think about the short term gains and quick profits. There just isn't any value or reason for us to justify the expense anymore.

There's other things to see and do on vacation and for right now, I have no desire to come back with the way things are. I feel sadness at saying that because there's things that I loved about going to the parks, but Disney made the decision to price many of us out.

Couldn't agree more, we used to go every other year and then from 2010 have been limited to once every 3 to 4 years. Our last trip was August 2017 but not sure when we will be back at this stage, the price increases imposed in the last few years (especially the resort parking charges) have been really off putting.

eliza61nyc

Lol...I was watching that too...

Shhhh!!! Wait till 400 and then we can tell the doggie that they made a “bad doo doo” and put their nose in it 🤫

I think the problem is the "doggies" in this case Disney management really doesn't care because they are still being rewarded for it. so even when he made a boo boo he's still getting a treat. The other big dog (stockholders) are also still getting their treats?

The problem with this poll is that even though there is a 80% reduction amongst the fans here are we being replaced with some other bodies. Does the mouse man really care if he's losing the repeat vacationer (that's a question I ponder). The reason why I ask is because I spent waaay more money when I was a newbie than a repeat vacationer and not because the cost increase. when we were youngins with little one's we did every thing and anything. sure we didn't go every year or often but when we did we blew it out of the water. as we got older and dvc'ers, we don't spend nearly as much even with the price increases to tickets. So if they get rid of me and replace me with someone who does go all out....

These are just pondering... I know nothing.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think the problem is the "doggies" in this case Disney management really doesn't care because they are still being rewarded for it. so even when he made a boo boo he's still getting a treat. The other big dog (stockholders) are also still getting their treats?

The problem with this poll is that even though there is a 80% reduction amongst the fans here are we being replaced with some other bodies. Does the mouse man really care if he's losing the repeat vacationer (that's a question I ponder). The reason why I ask is because I spent waaay more money when I was a newbie than a repeat vacationer and not because the cost increase. when we were youngins with little one's we did every thing and anything. sure we didn't go every year or often but when we did we blew it out of the water. as we got older and dvc'ers, we don't spend nearly as much even with the price increases to tickets. So if they get rid of me and replace me with someone who does go all out....

None of this has anything to do with what Disney management does or doesn’t do...

These are just buckets and shovels in out little intellectual travel sandbox

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I gotta say, i think thats pretty spot on with how a lot of us feel.
For many...Disney parks have been a reassuring “security blanket”...to us.

We know it’s there and we know what we will get. This has stayed rather consistent through good economic times and bad for 50 years.

That sense isn’t as strong now...and that’s what I think a lot of us are grappling with now:

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

I'm getting ads on this site for the newer Mid-Day Magic Ticket. It's $79+ tax a day, or about $112 CND per day with the current exchange rate (park hopping extra).

My 2-day ticket to HKDL and 3-day TDR ticket were about $70 CND per day, and they were both valid from park opening, not noon. A day at Universal Singapore is half of what it costs to spend a day at Universal Studios Florida (one park, not both, no Harry Potter Train etc).

This is the kind of pricing that keeps me from wanting to make as frequent trips to the American parks. Whatever the higher airfare it is to fly overseas (and it's not like it's getting cheaper to fly to Florida), the difference is made up for in tickets, food, lodging etc and I'm seeing parks with better show quality, efficiency and customer service.

$281 + tax for a standard room at Caribbean Beach? You can't convince me that's not insane. The people who think that's reasonable either have loads of money to spare, and/or don't have the travel experience to know what comparable pricing can buy. That seems to be a common trait among Disney fans who insist they know how the economy works because "Disney is a business". Yes, one who makes money off the ignorance of its customers.

VaderTron

Original Poster

The repeat customer is what keeps their attendance high. They recount the same loyal customer who park hops. So, when I used to visit 3 or 4 parks a day with my friends the 5 of us looked like 15 or 20 in their "attendance" figures. Additionally, while there is natural attrition and new growth that can offset one another, when you get sudden, massive drops in you loyal customer base attendance there is not going to be a group of similar size waiting to fill their place. It's not like the parks are filled to capacity every hour of every day with a line of people waiting to replace those who leave.

Animaniac93-98

To be clear, I don't expect everyone to drop what they're doing and fly their whole family to Japan to visit Tokyo Disney. I know that's not realistic, as much as I'd wish for everyone on this forum to visit the other parks and see first hand the difference. People on this site and elsewhere for YEARS told me it was better, but I never "got it" until I saw it for myself.

But what people can do is THINK about their domestic park purchases and whether that $100 dessert party was really worth it and why it was being sold in the first place. Disney gonna Disney and all that, but that doesn't mean that you have to be the consumer that blindly accepts every product and defends them as some constitutional right. This thread is proof that many here have been making choices, some not easy as long time fans, about how they spend their money. Maybe one day if more people do the company will start to treat its parks and customers better.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm getting ads on this site for the newer Mid-Day Magic Ticket. It's $79+ tax a day, or about $112 CND per day with the current exchange rate (park hopping extra).

My 2-day ticket to HKDL and 3-day TDR ticket were about $70 CND per day, and they were both valid from park opening, not noon. A day at Universal Singapore is half of what it costs to spend a day at Universal Studios Florida (one park, not both, no Harry Potter Train etc).

This is the kind of pricing that keeps me from wanting to make as frequent trips to the American parks. Whatever the higher airfare it is to fly overseas (and it's not like it's getting cheaper to fly to Florida), the difference is made up for in tickets, food, lodging etc and I'm seeing parks with better show quality, efficiency and customer service.

$281 + tax for a standard room at Caribbean Beach? You can't convince me that's not insane. The people who think that's reasonable either have loads of money to spare, and/or don't have the travel experience to know what comparable pricing can buy. That seems to be a common trait among Disney fans who insist they know how the economy works because "Disney is a business". Yes, one who makes money off the ignorance of its customers.

It tends to be this:

Disney customers cannot deny themselves more Disney. It’s not about the kids...it’s about THEM.

Couple that with a stock market/bank/credit card fueled economic “narrative”...and you get Disney pricing up to where the people are willing to take them.

It’s not Disney fault. That is irresponsible and immature to blame the horse for acting like a horse.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The repeat customer is what keeps their attendance high. They recount the same loyal customer who park hops. So, when I used to visit 3 or 4 parks a day with my friends the 5 of us looked like 15 or 20 in their "attendance" figures. Additionally, while there is natural attrition and new growth that can offset one another, when you get sudden, massive drops in you loyal customer base attendance there is not going to be a group of similar size waiting to fill their place. It's not like the parks are filled to capacity every hour of every day with a line of people waiting to replace those who leave.
This is the foundation of what the Eisner era model was based on...much of that inherited from the old guard. First hand experience.

I can’t say that now...the details don’t match

eliza61nyc

Vacation travel usually it's not the straight line.

Now I do travel a bit (go to the chit chat thread to see my trip report on Greece) so sorry I'm not claiming the "I'm an ignorant slob" mantra. Now I have absolutely zero desire to go to Japan nor Singapore so itls saying "cheaper" has zippo importance. One of the first things you need is the desire to go to said place.

So for you it's a straight line, cheaper price you go (from what I'm gathering) for others there are other factors that come into mix.

As for value, as been said ad nausea "worth" is too subjective. Is the $100 dollar dessert party worth it? how are you measuring it? My brother dropped 500 bucks on a tea party with the fairy godmother for his granddaughters. He personally thought it was worth every dime he spent, not including the trip to biddi bobbie boo boutique or whatever that thing is called.

I've never stayed at the CBR so again can't say whether or not the pricing is "insane" but I'm fully aware of what is offered off site. I don't think staying offsite is a good value so if will never happen. been there, done that, got the tee shirt.

If someone wishes to gift me with a trip to Singapore, I'll check it out but I'm not wasting my money on it.

Why do you think people are "blindly" paying for the dessert party or are stupid because they think CBR is worth their money?

Last edited:

PixarPerfect

Update: At the 300 voters mark of the suggested 400 voter minimum to make the poll 'valid', the numbers are similar to where they were at 100 votes. In fact, the numbers are showing that 80 percent of voters have reduced the way they attend or spend at WDW because of increased prices and/or decreased value due to atmosphere cuts.

I'm sure I'll regret posting this.... The above statement is incorrect. According to your fields (and since you were very set on the "yet" portion of your answer), 18.9% have said there is no effect YET. 20.2% answered no effect at all.

WTBAD

First time was in 1994. Then yearly starting in 1999. We started going 2 or 3 times a year about 2003 and purchased annual passes each year. Since 2016 we've cut back to once a year and stay 5 days instead of 6 or 7 and don't do AP's anymore and we don't do the Halloween or Christmas parties anymore. Probably will continue go once a year but I personally would rather spend the time and money at Universal. But the wife & kids still prefer WDW. Use to be, we would start planning our next trip on the drive home, but now, for me, the cost is too high & the magic has dimmed.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm sure I'll regret posting this.... The above statement is incorrect. According to your fields (and since you were very set on the "yet" portion of your answer), 18.9% have said there is no effect YET. 20.2% answered no effect at all.
Disney considers a 5% drop in attendance to be catastrophic...just as a point of reference 😉

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom