Has anyone noticed?

jpinkc

Could be that people who have become disappointed with WDW and find the parks not as much "fun" as years past have simply stepped away from not only visiting the parks, but following the forums.
I have said my peace as well. I dont think anyone has stepped away. I do agree that the Last Bob (Cheapek), brought a lot of this onto himself with how he handled his time as CEO, and the fact that Old Bob(Iger) is back makes some happyand hopefull. But I think Old Bob is more culpable than Last Bob for the mess the US Parks are in. We will have to see when the Honeymoon ends for Old Bob.

Jrb1979

I have said my peace as well. I dont think anyone has stepped away. I do agree that the Last Bob (Cheapek), brought a lot of this onto himself with how he handled his time as CEO, and the fact that Old Bob(Iger) is back makes some happyand hopefull. But I think Old Bob is more culpable than Last Bob for the mess the US Parks are in. We will have to see when the Honeymoon ends for Old Bob.
I agree with that statement. I think with your average guest and those that still love going don't pay attention to any of that stuff or know about that stuff.

Vegas Disney Fan

Just shows how important having a likable leader is, after a few years of non stop horrible changes a few small positive changes were enough to change the mood. They still have a long way to go to regain the glory of the past but at least they’re moving in the right direction again.

Lilofan

Negative or not, we were flying into MCO last week. The Orlando airport was so packed with tourists I thought it was Thanksgiving weekend all over again.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think what you have to consider is that many folks here are supercharged Disney fans. They know the ins and out of the parks, park management and the history. A window out of place sets them off. They've grown up on Disney, it is intimately connected to their happiest times. They believed that they would be taking their grandkids to the parks.
Today's park visitors are not like that for the most part.
I have tons of young families that went to Disney and had a ball, but they're not interested in returning year after year. Not because of anything Disney did but primarily because there's just so much more out there.

Just my observations but I think one of the big reasons is that they don't constantly compare it to "what Disney used to be". They simply ask, can we have a great vacation
To be fair…they never were

But I would say two substantial things changed:
1. Disney has pivoted away from fostering strong levels of repeat Visitors.
That’s definitely a different “philosophy”…but a reminder that most Philosophies are stupid and failures.

2. Digital forums such as this amplify the margins. In this case the pro and the negative segments. It skews

I often wonder what the perception Would have been if we had this kinda sound chamber in the height of wdw (89-99)? Would there be more superfans/critics or less?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Negative or not, we were flying into MCO last week. The Orlando airport was so packed with tourists I thought it was Thanksgiving weekend all over again.
The travel calendar has shifted - heavily this century. Not something new. Crowds feel worse the 20th century “slow times” more than the real time 21st.
I won’t…shall not…go anywhere near that place in October, most of January, February, etc.
You want a better feel? June. July. November…even the more traditional “slammed”/more expensive weeks. Try it out, Bruh…
I mean... It's not like the world population counter is going down.

For every classic fan that stops going to Disney world, another 200 people are born. Lol
Their pricing due to Bobbage has outpaced 199 of them though 😎

eliza61nyc

denial
anger
bargaining
depression
acceptance<<< we are here
And acceptance is really not a bad thing, I often wonder why some folks here post complaint after complaint, yet still go? Now when that question pops up the usual answer is they still have a good time but I do wonder. If you come back from any vacation destination and the majority of the report is bad, accept that, this might not be the place to vacation

eliza61nyc

The travel calendar has shifted - heavily this century. Not something new. Crowds feel worse the 20th century “slow times” more than the real time 21st.
I won’t…shall not…go anywhere near that place in October, most of January, February, etc.
You want a better feel? June. July. November…even the more traditional “slammed”/more expensive weeks. Try it out, Bruh…

Their pricing due to Bobbage has outpaced 199 of them though 😎

They'll still go though, crazy prices or not. I gotta give Disney's marketing many kudos. They have us convinced that without one trip to the world deep psychological trauma will occur. 😏

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And acceptance is really not a bad thing, I often wonder why some folks here post complaint after complaint, yet still go? Now when that question pops up the usual answer is they still have a good time but I do wonder. If you come back from any vacation destination and the majority of the report is bad, accept that, this might not be the place to vacation
To hold the supplier accountable?

Microeconomics. The consumer buys and expects certain things from the supplier…the supplier attempts to sell more product to the consumer in an attempt to generate more sales.

Symbiosis.

drizgirl

They are here because they aren't as far down the list yet. Give them time.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m not an authority…

But if I had to deconstruct the psychology of why things are more “upbeat”?

1. The chapek firing. To the untrained observer that is casually connected to the news/business cycle…that will “fix it”…whatever “it” was.

I probably don’t have to venture my opinion on the flaw there.

2. Self soothing. Economy is slowing and people always want to believe that recessions have been “solved” by do gooding market forces…
It has happened before every modern recession.
So traveling to the worlds most renowned happy compound is soothing. Even for grumps like me

TQQQ

I am a complainer (yes i know, bring on the sarcastic "i never would have guessed" comments).......

I also have not been and will not go........YET

I hate Genie+, the elimination for ME, EMH, paying for Magic Bands, the overall lack of upkeep of the park, the intangible feeling of the magic being gone, shorter park hours, etc, etc, etc..............

But I also do think Chapek was the head of the snake and thats been cut off.........

So I think a lot of people look at it this way, "it has bottomed and can only get better, not worse"

I don't know if that is true, but that's the perception

lazyboy97o

Or maybe you’re making all sorts of assumptions to fit a narrative that is convenient for you.

Club Cooloholic

We went to Disney for a week last month. We overall thought it sucked. I am so turned off by Disney right now that I just stopped reading this forum for the most part. But rest assured that I am known within my circles as a major Disney fan and now...to the surprise of many...I find myself trashing Disney on a regular basis. The damage to the "Brand" is real and I am positive proof of that.

You will likely see me make some more negative comments as time goes by.

At this point, Disney will have to lure us back if they want my business again. Dropping the parking charges that we just had to pay are only a start.
Here's the thing, the "fans" like us tend to be more particular, and there are plenty more ticket buys for Disney that don't know any difference in experiences today vs 15 years ago.
This is true of any industry. I can go buy a bike from the sporting goods store and be perfectly happy while a friend who knows bikes way more would shake his head at the bike I chose.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom