Has anyone noticed?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Me too, I think @Sirwalterraleigh hit on something. I wonder if Disney is actively trying not to court the return visitors.
…for about 15 years.

Customers are like an inland lake…pristine and fun on top…sun reflecting on the water, beaches on top…

Then it doesn’t rain and over time you see more rocks, roots popping up…driftwood.

Eventually it’s mud, old tires…a pickup truck from WW2…

If it’s lake mead, a couple of dead low level enforcers shoved into a fridge…

…where was I going with this?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Here's the thing, the "fans" like us tend to be more particular, and there are plenty more ticket buys for Disney that don't know any difference in experiences today vs 15 years ago.
This is true of any industry. I can go buy a bike from the sporting goods store and be perfectly happy while a friend who knows bikes way more would shake his head at the bike I chose.
This is true…

…but Disney has benefitted greatly in 75 years from the local reinforcement/ encouragement to travel there from first hand accounts in the surburban communities that they covet.

So while always anecdotal…bad word of mouth does bleed their sales. I am in a big burb with high income in one of the largest markets in the country…high dvc and travel frequency…and I have heard it increasing

Particularly after 2020…the gist at community events is that TWDC is assuming everyone would come while actively trying to lessen what you get?
Never tell people with money they need to be “retrained”

Bobs. Both will be gone by 2025.

If I were a betting he/him/his…I’d bet their market research knows this is growing and they’re not sure what to do with it?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's quite possible. IMO it's probably part of why AP sales are on hold and only Florida resident passes are available. Most out of state guests buy APs to be able to go a few times a year.
That is their backbone revenue generating audience…not the mccluskys from Denver…

Very dangerous to test the limits of that audience

Chi84

Premium Member
I think what you have to consider is that many folks here are supercharged Disney fans. They know the ins and out of the parks, park management and the history. A window out of place sets them off. They've grown up on Disney, it is intimately connected to their happiest times. They believed that they would be taking their grandkids to the parks.
Today's park visitors are not like that for the most part.
I have tons of young families that went to Disney and had a ball, but they're not interested in returning year after year. Not because of anything Disney did but primarily because there's just so much more out there.

Just my observations but I think one of the big reasons is that they don't constantly compare it to "what Disney used to be". They simply ask, can we have a great vacation
I agree with this. People are different now in so many ways from the way they were when WDW first opened. They're more mobile, far fewer of them live forever in the place they were born or have the same job for an entire career. Many work remotely and aren't tied to a specific location by their job. These people are much less likely to choose a single vacation spot for their entire lives.

I don't think Disney is actively not courting return visitors, but I believe they are changing the demographic they are actively courting. They're actively courting first-time visitors because that's where the future is. Those people aren't there to assess whether Disney is being true to its original vision; they're there to have a good time. When you have a scarce resource, it's probably not a good idea to limit it to people who aren't going to be around all that much longer. You want to court a new generation.

I think Disney hopes there will be enough of those first-time visitors who have a great time, tell their friends and become repeat visitors themselves. Even buy DVC. There are a lot of people out there.

I don't mean to say they're doing a great job of any of the above. I happen to be part of the demographic they no longer seem to be courting so we're taking a good long look before planning our trips these days to see if they will be worth it for us in terms of time, money and effort.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just shows how important having a likable leader is, after a few years of non stop horrible changes a few small positive changes were enough to change the mood. They still have a long way to go to regain the glory of the past but at least they’re moving in the right direction again.
Iger has to go…

This is my “Lock of the week” prediction of the century. And I never miss on those.

So if you don’t want to hear it…don’t make me say it/Ignore me/get me banned.

Public service announcement 🤓

(this was not directed to you, Vegas…just a general announcement)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom