Has anyone heard of this offer yet?

cowanfamily

I came across this offer on another board. I wasn't sure if it had any validity to it or not. Has anyone heard of this yet?

"Hi my friends, we have our trip already booked for september with the FD, but i know that a lot of fellow disers are waiting for this big new, (THIS IS INTERNAL INFORMATION) ok, this is the NEW FREE DINING OFFER, it will be available for all in AUGUST 3 .

these are the dates and the conditions of the new offer

Bookings Between August 3, 2011 - December 17, 2011
Travel Dates
October 2, 2011 - October 8, 2011
October 23, 2011 - November 5, 2011
November 13, 2011 - November 19, 2011
November 27, 2011 - December 3, 2011
December 11, 2011 - December 17,

Free Quick Service Dining for values and regular dining for moderates deluxe and villas

Minimum Stay: 3 Nights – Maximum Stay: 14 Nigths.

THE CODE FOR THIS PROMOTION WILL BE FCX FOR VALUES WITH QUICK SERVICE DINING AND FCY FOR MODERATES DELUXE AND VILLAS WITH REGULAR DINING.

I know that this will make a lot of people very very happy and for that reason I share this will all of you.

Have a magical vacation and be ready for August 3"

wilkeliza

We have traveled twice now as a couple once with DDP and once with out. We did the same amount of TS with out the DDP as we did with the DDP. On our last short trip we actually paid out of pocket for a TS because we prefer TS to Quick Service because TS is how we live in daily life. We had no problem getting into all the places we wanted because we chose places that would have a selection of food. Most TS have a variety of foods you can chose from. Never once did I think "Well crap, I don't really want 50's Prime Time today, they don't have anything I want there."

Also before we were a couple the boyfriend went to Disney almost yearly and ate at TS all the time. Like I said TS is just what we are use to on vacation so DDP or not we would be eating at least one TS a day if not two and always factor that into the price of our vacation.

Upvote 0

Disneykidder

I was supposed to go in a few weeks with free dining but we cancelled. We plan to go in February but highly doubt free dining will be on for then.:brick:

Upvote 0

BigThunderMatt

*sigh*
Really? They haven't dropped that free dining nonsense yet?
I guess they are determined to kill the dining at the resort.

I had heard to the contrary. That they would be eliminating free dining very soon, and would no longer be offering any type of discounted room rates for the foreseeable future.

Upvote 0

Uncle Lupe

*sigh*
Really? They haven't dropped that free dining nonsense yet?
I guess they are determined to kill the dining at the resort.

I hope you post a picture of your face when the premium dining menus have pictures of food and no words. That will be ultimate climax of the DDP problem. :lol:
"Welcome to Le Cellier, would you like a #3?"

I would take any discount they want to throw my way. Nothing so far covers my days of Oct 8-15th :cry:

Upvote 0

Tom

Beta Return
I'm going to chime in with my simple thoughts on the DDP and Disney Dining in general.

The DDP was initially invented for one reason - the very same reason they invented Magical Express: to keep you on property. That was THE reason. If they prohibit you from renting a car, you can't escape. And if you've pre-paid for all of your meals, you won't try to escape and eat off property or go to Universal. It really was that simple.

Then, the bean counters saw that they weren't MAKING enough money on the meals being consumed by DDP-ers (note, I said "not making enough" because they're not losing a penny on those meals...they're just not making as much profit per plate as they do on OOP-ers. Keep in mind that it costs them less than $10 in food/labor to serve your $35 TS entree. And don't get me started on the profit margin built into desserts.), so they've gradually increased menu prices (to get more money from the OOP-ers) and adjusted the cost of the DDP at a slightly faster pace.

At the same time, they also slightly reduced portions and the quality of food to lower costs. Eventually, those graphed lines will come extremely close to each other, or actually intersect if they keep up the current pace - thus rendering the DDP a "wash".

Meanwhile, OOP-ers are picking up the tab for the earnings lost on DDP-ers, and even more so for Free-DDP-ers.

As for the inability to get a table in short notice, that's attributed to all of the factors. Since the advent of the DDP, table service meals have been ushered into the spotlight. When I was a kid in the 80s and 90s, we didn't eat at a table service restaurant in all of the numerous trips to WDW. The line of thought was "Who eats a fancy dinner at Disney World?" I'm sure many people thought like that as well....and/or they were venturing off to eat at a $9.99 buffet on 192 (like we did).

So, with attendance increasing over the years, table service restaurants being more prominent and known, the encouragement of guests to eat at them via the DDP, and then the seasonal influx of guests eating TS meals when they're giving them out for free....it all adds up to full tables all the time, which is exactly what Disney wants. As long as all of the tables are full, they don't care who's upset.

And honestly, as someone else implied, Free Dining isn't really to blame. They're merely robbing Peter to pay Paul. You can either book a room for up to 40% off and pay for food...or you can pay rack rate for your room and get food for free. Plus, when they throw in mandatory extras like the PhotoPass book, you'd actually come out money ahead with the Room Discount and smart spending OOP.

Lastly, the DDP is truly only a "deal" if you would have normally ordered everything that comes with the DDP if you were paying OOP. So, if you always get a soda/tea, full entree, and dessert...then yes, the DDP is a deal for you. But here at home, when we go out to eat, we always drink water and never have room for dessert. Therefore, the DDP includes far more product that we'd ever buy normally. And when we add up the cost of the food we'd buy OOP, it totals a sum far less than the cost of the DDP.

The DDP is a "perceived" savings, based only upon the (essentially) prix fixe menu you've been assigned. I will admit that we succumb to the marketing gimmick called the DDP, but we do it solely for convenience and to create a thoughtless experience while we're there. We know we're being taken, but I also know I'd NEVER pay for a drink or enjoy their desserts if I was swiping my own credit card at each meal. We'd be eating like [something that doesn't eat very much].

Take this for what you will. None of what I've said is opinion. It's all factual. (It's actual. Everything is satisfactual). However, my one piece of opinion....

They should reserve a % of tables (say, 10-15%) every day, all day, for walk-ins or guests who book that morning via concierge or Guest Services. I know Disney would HATE to do this, because it means they don't have every table filled in advance, but it would be a nice gesture to the locals who just want to have dinner in Epcot for a night, and to those who don't know if they'll want steak or spaghetti 6 months in advance. This one little thing would solve 99% of the griping with the DDP (except for the lesser quality food, but people would get over that if they were at least given the opportunity to eat it).

Upvote 0

Tom

Beta Return
I had heard to the contrary. That they would be eliminating free dining very soon, and would no longer be offering any type of discounted room rates for the foreseeable future.

Iger threatened that last year...that they'd be weaning guests off of discounts. Right after that, they released Free Dining for almost all of 2011, and they've offered an assortment of room discounts and free dining for this year.

Was it a bluff, or has his intention just not kicked in yet?

Upvote 0

inkyblacks

maybe when your rolling on the floor laughing youll choke on your “Grilled Texas Nilgai Antelope with Caramelized Apricots, Apricot Agri-doux, Glazed Couscous, Ginger Infused Apricot Puree, Asparagus Tips and Red Wine Jus....ill take my disney food stamps and a burger......the dining plan is paying for your food ahead of time...if it diminishes your uptight dining experience, then you can go to rodeo drive with the rest of the snobs.....if you cant get a "ressie" try planning better...

Why is there Apricots in everything? I thought the cranberry was trying to take over the world. :ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

CaptainJackNO

This is the tackiest comment I have ever read on this site. I guess if it's ok to "ruffle feathers" on here, then I will too. Those "Disney food stamps" are not what is keeping you from getting a table at a Disney restaurant. ADR's (advanced dining reservations) can be made without the dining plan. If you actually thought ahead and planned a little bit, you would have no trouble securing a table at your favorite restaurant in the busiest seasons. I have never had trouble doing so, and that's without the dining plan.

So, I can only assume from your comment that you are a.) a snobby, arrogant, entitled person who would nitpick any restaurant you got into, or b.) too stupid to know how to make reservations at a restaurant.

My family and I plan to take advantage of the "Disney food stamps," and I guarantee you, we will not prevent you or anyone else from getting a table.

Excellent Post, my Louisiana neighbor.

Now, I have paid for the dining plan 2 times and was fortunate to take advantage of free dining on my trip last Thanksgiving (All save for 2 days, of which I paid for.) I have no problem with the dining plan, free or not. People here complain about the dining plan whether or not it is free. The reason Disney offers this is the growth of resorts across the globe who offer the all-inclusive experience. They are just adding that level to compete with people who try and decide whether spending 3 thousand on a cruise or on Disney is a better decision. If they can spend that amount, al inclusive, Disney looks as attractive as a cruise.

Now, I live in the New Orleans area and if any of you go to Disney for "food quality," I feel so sorry for you that you live in a place that the food in your city is that bad. I do not go to WDW for food quality. Fact is, the quality of food in Disney's best, most popular restaurants, does not approach the quality and taste of food in neighborhood restaurants in New Orleans.

For example, our bill at Ohana, this past November, I believe, was in excess of 100 bucks for 4 of us. That is without tip. I can, and have, eaten at Emeril Lagasse's restaurants, a few of the Brennan restaurants, and Ruth's Chris Steakhouse (these are 4 and 5 star restaurants) for the same or less money than what I pay at Biergarten, Chef Mickey, Ohana, and Mama Melrose. I go to Disney to eat for the experience, characters, environment, etc. I do not expect for the food to knock my socks off.

Now, I will take a different issue with Disney dining, not the dining plan. I think it is absolutely absurd that entrees at San Angel Inn, Brown Derby, Norcoosse's, and other places are 28 and 32 dollars for chefs who are completely unknown. So, if someone can get free dining, good for them. The people who seem to be against this the most are the same ones who cheer when WDW raises prices because, in their opinion, it "keeps the riff raff out."

Upvote 0

notslim99

Excellent Post, my Louisiana neighbor.

Now, I live in the New Orleans area and if any of you go to Disney for "food quality," I feel so sorry for you that you live in a place that the food in your city is that bad. I do not go to WDW for food quality. Fact is, the quality of food in Disney's best, most popular restaurants, does not approach the quality and taste of food in neighborhood restaurants in New Orleans.

For example, our bill at Ohana, this past November, I believe, was in excess of 100 bucks for 4 of us. That is without tip. I can, and have, eaten at Emeril Lagasse's restaurants, a few of the Brennan restaurants, and Ruth's Chris Steakhouse (these are 4 and 5 star restaurants) for the same or less money than what I pay at Biergarten, Chef Mickey, Ohana, and Mama Melrose. I go to Disney to eat for the experience, characters, environment, etc. I do not expect for the food to knock my socks off.

Now, I will take a different issue with Disney dining, not the dining plan. I think it is absolutely absurd that entrees at San Angel Inn, Brown Derby, Norcoosse's, and other places are 28 and 32 dollars for chefs who are completely unknown. So, if someone can get free dining, good for them. The people who seem to be against this the most are the same ones who cheer when WDW raises prices because, in their opinion, it "keeps the riff raff out."

Now you'll have people thinking we're food snobs in Louisiana (which we are,) but all I can say is Amen! Although, Via Napoli has finally brought good pizza to WDW.

Oh and Geaux Tigers!

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

Iger threatened that last year...that they'd be weaning guests off of discounts. Right after that, they released Free Dining for almost all of 2011, and they've offered an assortment of room discounts and free dining for this year.

Was it a bluff, or has his intention just not kicked in yet?

All with greatly limited dates and blackouts. Did you see the first post in this thread? Very limited dates...

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

The DDP was initially invented for one reason - the very same reason they invented Magical Express: to keep you on property. That was THE reason. If they prohibit you from renting a car, you can't escape. And if you've pre-paid for all of your meals, you won't try to escape and eat off property or go to Universal. It really was that simple.

Prohibit you from renting a car? LOL - DME just makes renting a car less attractive financially...

Other Disney Dining plans existed long before the DDP - ALL had the same intent, to keep you on property - they just hadn't found the right price point. "Food and Fun" was one name; the Dream Maker Silver plan was another version.... the DDP, both paid and free, in coordination with MYW just happened to hit the sweet spot...and DME helped keep you on property as you pointed out.

Upvote 0

boufa

The DDP was initially invented for one reason - the very same reason they invented Magical Express: to keep you on property. That was THE reason.
Very true
If they prohibit you from renting a car, you can't escape.
I'm going to assume that prohibit was simply a poor word choice.

Then, the bean counters saw that they weren't MAKING enough money on the meals being consumed by DDP-ers (note, I said "not making enough" because they're not losing a penny on those meals...they're just not making as much profit per plate as they do on OOP-ers. Keep in mind that it costs them less than $10 in food/labor to serve your $35 TS entree. And don't get me started on the profit margin built into desserts.), so they've gradually increased menu prices (to get more money from the OOP-ers) and adjusted the cost of the DDP at a slightly faster pace.
logical but a little off. We are all seeing effect and assuming cause. It is all about AVERAGE. Everyone who pay $400 for a room a the contemporary is paying some of the costs of the people who pay $250. When they look at the numbers they look at average guest bill, ticket etc. Every time you use a coupon in a store you are paying less and the item is slightly inflated to others to cover that discount you received. Price increases are designed to move the average cost per guest.
At the same time, they also slightly reduced portions and the quality of food to lower costs. Eventually, those graphed lines will come extremely close to each other, or actually intersect if they keep up the current pace - thus rendering the DDP a "wash".

Many feel that we are already there. Personally it is 100% a convenience factor for me. I think it is funny how people will pay Deluxe hotel rates, concierge and valet parking but feel there is no value to the convenience of the dining plan. I would be even willing to pay 5-10% more for the convenience. When I did the math for this trip I set the threshold of do I get it or don't I as "If it is close or over a bit"

Lastly, the DDP is truly only a "deal" if you would have normally ordered everything that comes with the DDP if you were paying OOP.
And there lies the untalked about profit machine. So far we have not really touched on this point. How much goes unused? The value (if you insist on looking at it strictly from a $ point of view) cannot be pre-calculated, you have to look at it AFTER you have finished your trip. Only then does the scoreboard tell the truth. Disney is Hot, crowded and has lots of shinny things to keep us occupied. Sitting at home looking a menus picking out what to eat for a trip many months away in a completely different environment is likely to result in a tough time sticking to a plan. I have no numbers but I would imagine that many options, snacks and credits go unused. If the dining plan is a 10% value if maximized, but 15% of the credits go unused then Disney actually makes MORE money on the dining plan than OOP. I find this scenario likely, but I have no proof of it.

Take this for what you will. None of what I've said is opinion. It's all factual. (It's actual. Everything is satisfactual).
The most untrue thing in your entire post. I liked your post, it was full of good points and well through out, however facts are facts and conclusions are opinion. No doubt all of our conclusions are opinion based on our best guesses from what we understand in business and what we know of Disney, but in the end facts are a lot harder to come by. Nothing I have typed is fact, just my opinion on how I see it working.

Upvote 0

Buried20KLeague

Since we are all apparently just stroking our own self-interest here (which is exactly what those applauding free dining are doing) why is it somehow more offensive for others to be opposed to it? They are just voicing their self-interested preferences, exactly like you are.

Going to WDW isn't a right. And some people would prefer it remain a premium product and would be willing to pay a premium for it. Making it affordable for everyone runs contrary to those goals.

This is a VERY good post.

Upvote 0

Buried20KLeague

I'm going to chime in with my simple thoughts on the DDP and Disney Dining in general.

Meanwhile, OOP-ers are picking up the tab for the earnings lost on DDP-ers, and even more so for Free-DDP-ers.

As for the inability to get a table in short notice, that's attributed to all of the factors. Since the advent of the DDP, table service meals have been ushered into the spotlight. When I was a kid in the 80s and 90s, we didn't eat at a table service restaurant in all of the numerous trips to WDW. The line of thought was "Who eats a fancy dinner at Disney World?" I'm sure many people thought like that as well....and/or they were venturing off to eat at a $9.99 buffet on 192 (like we did).

So, with attendance increasing over the years, table service restaurants being more prominent and known, the encouragement of guests to eat at them via the DDP, and then the seasonal influx of guests eating TS meals when they're giving them out for free....it all adds up to full tables all the time, which is exactly what Disney wants. As long as all of the tables are full, they don't care who's upset.

And honestly, as someone else implied, Free Dining isn't really to blame. They're merely robbing Peter to pay Paul. You can either book a room for up to 40% off and pay for food...or you can pay rack rate for your room and get food for free. Plus, when they throw in mandatory extras like the PhotoPass book, you'd actually come out money ahead with the Room Discount and smart spending OOP.

Lastly, the DDP is truly only a "deal" if you would have normally ordered everything that comes with the DDP if you were paying OOP. So, if you always get a soda/tea, full entree, and dessert...then yes, the DDP is a deal for you. But here at home, when we go out to eat, we always drink water and never have room for dessert. Therefore, the DDP includes far more product that we'd ever buy normally. And when we add up the cost of the food we'd buy OOP, it totals a sum far less than the cost of the DDP.

The DDP is a "perceived" savings, based only upon the (essentially) prix fixe menu you've been assigned. I will admit that we succumb to the marketing gimmick called the DDP, but we do it solely for convenience and to create a thoughtless experience while we're there. We know we're being taken, but I also know I'd NEVER pay for a drink or enjoy their desserts if I was swiping my own credit card at each meal. We'd be eating like [something that doesn't eat very much].

Take this for what you will. None of what I've said is opinion. It's all factual. (It's actual. Everything is satisfactual). However, my one piece of opinion....

They should reserve a % of tables (say, 10-15%) every day, all day, for walk-ins or guests who book that morning via concierge or Guest Services. I know Disney would HATE to do this, because it means they don't have every table filled in advance, but it would be a nice gesture to the locals who just want to have dinner in Epcot for a night, and to those who don't know if they'll want steak or spaghetti 6 months in advance. This one little thing would solve 99% of the griping with the DDP (except for the lesser quality food, but people would get over that if they were at least given the opportunity to eat it).

Exactly.

But good luck overcoming the "sheep" mentality that has formed with the DDP.

A person looking to justify their choices will figure out a way to do so. I fear you're beating your head against a wall.

And Disney banks on DDP folks defending it non-stop. Thank goodness the DLR doesn't mess with dining plans.

Upvote 0

freediverdude

I know a lot of people will disagree, but I think the ADR's should be discontinued, as well as free dining. Both gone. They can still offer a dining plan at a good price if they want, but not free. I think maybe a daily fastpass type system would be in order, or a cell phone call or alert about 30 minutes before they can seat you if you sign up. Everybody who enters the park that day should get the same chance to eat at one of the restaurants without doing hours of research at home 6 months in advance. And restore the menus to make each restaurant unique and something worthwhile. Ok end of rant.

Upvote 0

Buried20KLeague

I know a lot of people will disagree, but I think the ADR's should be discontinued, as well as free dining. Both gone. They can still offer a dining plan at a good price if they want, but not free. I think maybe a daily fastpass type system would be in order, or a cell phone call or alert about 30 minutes before they can seat you if you sign up. Everybody who enters the park that day should get the same chance to eat at one of the restaurants without doing hours of research at home 6 months in advance. And restore the menus to make each restaurant unique and something worthwhile. Ok end of rant.

I've had people come back from WDW telling me it was the worst vacation of their lives, and it all revolved around them being unprepared and their vacation suffering from that. Not knowing about dining reservations, not having in depth knowledge of how fastpass can be used, not figuring out ahead of time all the night time shows and when to see each, etc...

I can't imagine Disney is happy with reactions like that from people's vacations, even if it IS sort of thier fault for not preparing. The more complicated Disney makes it, and the more people have to fight for slots to do what they want to do on vacation, the more they'll have people giving negative reactions after their trips.

And it seems like Disney's only trying to INCREASE the amount of pre-planning with the whole next-gen thing. They're making it worse. The divide between those that know how to "work the system" and those that just show up on the day of their trip is already huge... If they continue on this pace, that divide will grow to the size of a chasm.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

Thank goodness the DLR doesn't mess with dining plans.

Disneyland HAS dining plans! From http://disneyland.disney.go.com/buy/

"Package Options:

When you purchase a Vacation Package you can easily add the following convenient options:

Prepaid Meal Plans including Disney Character Dining
Air and ground transportation
Southern California attractions and tours"

But the MAJORITY of visitors to DLR are locals, not resort guests.

Upvote 0

Buried20KLeague

Disneyland HAS dining plans! From http://disneyland.disney.go.com/buy/

"Package Options:

When you purchase a Vacation Package you can easily add the following convenient options:

Prepaid Meal Plans including Disney Character Dining
Air and ground transportation
Southern California attractions and tours"

But the MAJORITY of visitors to DLR are locals, not resort guests.

I should probably re-phrase...

I'm glad they don't mess with using Dining Plans as gimmicks to get bookings. There's a huge difference. WDW had dining plans before the DDP, and there was no problem. The problem was once they offered them for free, and it snowballed from there.

I think it was TP2000 that debunked (for the most part) the whole "DLR doesn't really have a high percentage of tourists" argument in another thread here somewhere, too. Not sure where, but I read it. DLR still has a lot of locals, but the number of out of towners and foreigners has greatly increased over the last handful of years. It's not as glaring a difference as it was before.

Upvote 0

PhilharMagician

Something that has REALLY bothered me is the severe price hikes to make the paid for DDP still advertise the 30% discount.

In fact, most of the all you can eat meals have gone up in their dinner prices $12-20 in the past 6-7 years since the DDP began. THAT IS CRAZY. And sad for the people that are willing to pay out of pocket.
You are a little low on your numbers in some cases.

Example: Oct 2006 Boma adult price was $25.99. Now today that same meal is $39.40 and it is well over $40.00 for the holidays which there was no holiday price increase back in 06'.

Not all restaurants have seen this drastic of an increase.

I agree that the food and service has declined but does anyone believe that eliminating free table service plans will bring that food back to standards? Costs have been cut and Disney is obviously happy with what they are serving the customers. I for one prefer room discounts NU I also pay for dining plan on top of it. The only thing I can't stand is that 6 months out I can't tell if I want Italian or seafood on Thursday night. Adr system needs a Hughes overhaul.

Removing the DDP or free DDP would not automatically repair the damage that has happened. The only way I can see the dining situation improving is to having many empty tables in the restaurants and that is not going to happen, at least not for a long time.

Very good post.

I also want to add that the value of the DDP has fallen by a factor of more than half of what it once was in the past 6 - 7 years. Not only have the prices of the your meal gone up substantially, the DDP has lost the appetizer and the included tip that wasw part of the package up until 2006. During that time the cost of the plan has also gone from $35.99 - $45.99. So losing a $7.00 - $10.00 appetizer and a approx $7.00 tip and add in the price increase that is up to a $27.00 increase for less of a meal. In order to get value out of the money spent to purchase the DDP today you have to plan your meals very carfully.

I have not quite grabbed on the convienence of having the DDP.
  • You still have to make ADR's
  • You still have to plan months in advance to get a seat in any popular restaurants
  • You still have to carry money or some form of payment to the restaurant

The only thing I guess I can think of is that people can pay for the food months in advance, which to me I rather keep the money in my pocket until I need to spend it.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom