Has anyone ever worked at WDW?

AngieTink27

I have frieds who have worked in the college program and give me mixed reviews on their experience, but I have never worked at Disney. It is a dream to work there someday.

AngieTink27

Undoubtedly, the majority of the posts on this topic support my argument outlined in the "Workers Want Pay Boost" thread that jobs at Disney were meant for those who are in high school, college and/or retired who have other means of financial support. Perhaps the reason the majority of the CMs are so disgruntled and uncaring these days is due to their failure in life and having to settle for such a menial job that they no longer care. Disney should not hire those who are over-qualified and they should stick to hiring kids and the elderly who work here because they love it and not because they have to.
Why is it that we 'are a filure in life' if we choose to work for Disney? What if it is a dream of ours, or something we are passionate about? It is arrogant on your part to assume somebody works somewhere because they struck out everywhere else and are having to 'settle'. This may come as a surprise to someone as high and mighty as you, but that housekeeper cleaning your resort room, or that person cooking your hamburger at a restaurant may be doing what they do because they enjoy their job.

roj2323

i'd love to tell you but I don't want to get fired. All I really can say is everything is incredibly well organized and safety is the top priority for everything both on and off stage.

BigTxEars

Undoubtedly, the majority of the posts on this topic support my argument outlined in the "Workers Want Pay Boost" thread that jobs at Disney were meant for those who are in high school, college and/or retired who have other means of financial support. Perhaps the reason the majority of the CMs are so disgruntled and uncaring these days is due to their failure in life and having to settle for such a menial job that they no longer care. Disney should not hire those who are over-qualified and they should stick to hiring kids and the elderly who work here because they love it and not because they have to.

Wow this is a bunch of judgmental dribble.........

75disney

My sister has worked at Disney full time since 1991. Before that she did the college program 2x, first she worked at the Emporium (1990) and the second time in MK's guest relations (1991). After college, she worked MK guest relations, becoming a VIP tour guide. Later she switched to planning Epcot's Food and Wine Festival. Then she moved into event planning. Currently, she is a wedding planner. Her significant other is a waiter at a MK restaurant. Many of her friends work for Disney and have for years. They are like a family to each other since most do not have family living in Florida. My sister's only complaints are the crazy hours. She has had some great stories to tell about meeting celebrities, working with world class chefs, and stressed out brides. Overall, she has met some really interesting and nice people and has had some great experiences. She continues to advance and loves working for Disney. You can have a career at Disney.

ryguy

I worked at Disney 1999-2000. I basically did my own college program because I figured out quick the college program was good for Disney not so good for me. If your in the college program it should be based on what you are studying not flipping burgers. Unless of course you want to be in the restaurant business. So I just went to the casting center and applied. They offered me 3 positions: Bell services at the Wilderness Lodge, Market research, and a cashier position. Since I was doing this more for my resume I went with market research. It also paid a little more than the other two positions. Looking back on it I probably would have taken the Bell hop position because I would have made more money. I did have a second job waiting tables out in Altamonte.

Funny story, I was fresh out of college so I was dressed in a suit for my interview. I was the only person dressed up. Everyone was wearing jeans, shorts, hats, pretty crappy clothes. Needless to say I felt like the whole room was looking at me thinking who the hell is this guy. Me and the interviewer were the only people in professional attire. It did break the ice in my interview, she thanked me for dressing professional.

First Job:
Market research which is asking people to take surveys in the parks. I only lasted a month because of two reasons:
1. I just didn't like bothering people on their vacation. Some of these surveys were long and asked personal questions. I also found that I was asking the same demographic of people over and over. Pretty much grand parents who were waiting around for their kids/grand kids to get off space mountain. Very hard to get a thirty something family to take a survey.
2. I had nothing in common with the people I worked with. Most of the males were homosexual, which was fine, but many of the conversations were about boyfriends and going to clubs that I just wouldn't go to. They were all great people but I just felt I couldn't bring much to the table as far as our conversations at lunch. I was new in town and didn't see myself hanging with these guys in my down time. So meeting new people would be difficult if I stayed in this position. I will say I was treated well, and was exposed to a world that I would have never been exposed to in my everyday life. So personally I grew, which is always good.

Vacation Planner:
So after a month I went back to casting and asked to be switched to a new area. No I didn't mention #2 reason because truthfully it was not as big of a factor as reason #1. So I chose to go into Epcot at the front entrance selling tickets. They called it a vacation planner. This was a great job, everyone was super nice, and everyone got along real well. I would say the majority of people working at the front gate were either retirees or college kids. Only managers were middle aged. I will say most people loved their job, I never really heard anyone complain. At the time the union was trying to get some more benefits so I did hear people talking about that sort of stuff. One manager was really nice to us college kids; it was Thanksgiving and we were all working and far away from our home towns. After work we went to her house and had Thanksgiving dinner with her family. We did the same thing for Christmas. So it made being away from home a little easier. To this day I think about how nice that was to do. The best part of working in tickets was being able to work at the Candlelight processional booth. We helped make dining reservations and book packages. I am a travel agent now so this was right in my wheel house.

Eventually I left Disney simply based on money. The job just didn't pay enough, which I knew going into it. It was more of a bucket list thing for me. I would totally go back and work for Disney. But at this stage of my life I need money for my family. Maybe when my kids are out of the house I will return. I think its a great place for seniors to work. Looking back I don't regret my time at Disney, I learned a lot of great things about customer service and met some very nice and interesting people.

Horizons1

PI in horticulture. I enjoyed it immensely, completed the program at the top of the class, but was disappointed when I was told they wouldn't hire me outside of the PI. That was a big mistake on their part.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom