Has anybody been at Disney World on Christmas Day?

the-reason14

Yes, back in 2004 I believe. We didn't spend all day at the parks since we'd been there for almost a week at that point I think. It was a dreary and rainy day, and we had watched the WDW Christmas day parade. It was cool and weird to watch it and actually be in Disney World, but it was sad because the beautiful blue skies on the program didn't match what was outside. My mom forgot our gifts at home so we didn't get to open presents till a few days later. Now that I think about it, it was probably one of my worse Christmases but not terrible. Me and my bro did go to the MK later on, and I honestly can't remember it being crowded. I remember walking up Main Street and them announcing they were canceling some parade or show because of the weather but were gonna have something at the galaxy theater instead. And that's pretty much all I can remember.

mickeysshoes

We in the MK for Chrismas Day 2003....It was like I had never seen before and that was the same day my Christmas Day Parade bubble was popped :eek: . Silly me I thought i was really LIVE on CHRISTMAS DAY...not live on the frist weekend in December (which means the year I was in WDW the first week in Dec...I was clueless to the taping of the LIVE parade...:lol:) It was very crowded and closed (not sure what level) by 11 am. Everywhere you walked was shoulder to shoulder. But do have to say it was worth every minute we spent in the park. Next year we plan to hit Epcot on Christmas Day. Its something everyone should do at least once!!!

Cmdr_Crimson

I went with my Friend and her Family in 2003...It was VERY Packed...So if your thinking that it's walk on's and magic...It's the complete opposite..Long Waits and Anger...:lol:

Timekeeper

Yes, and I wouldn't recommend it. There is nothing different about going on Christmas day than from going two weeks beforehand. Disney is pretty good at consistency, and so any holiday celebration festivities will be the same throughout the entire month. There's nothing more "magical" about Christmas day. Also, as others have suggested, you might actually end up having a worse time due to inclement weather and - of course - crowds.

The only thing that you can be sure of when it comes to Christmas day is that everyone will be off work, which means park attendance will be uncomfortably high.

If you want big crowds and the "Christmas feeling," go on a Christmas Day Parade taping day.

Otherwise, avoid it.

mergatroid

Been on two separate occasions on Christmas day. The MK was the busiest I have ever witnessed, it was absolutely manic :eek:. I stayed for two hours and then decided to cut my losses and left as it was too crowded to continue enjoying for me. I also went to DHS a few years back on Christmas day (visited in the afternoon rather than at opening time) and it ws probably the busiest I've ever seen it although not as bad as the MK. The queues were long but you could at least walk around without being jostled as much. It was nice to try both and I was there for a 3 week period covering Christmas and new year, however if only there for a few days I probably wouldn't choose the days covering Christmas day.

mraphael

we were in the parks a few years back ON christmas day and YES, the crowds are terrible. we were better off staying in our hotel room all day...

quirkle

I was there 2 years ago on Christmas Day. We went in at 7 AM and hit tons of rides and there was no one there. When we were leaving between 12-1 there were tons of people coming in - actually I was scared and so happy that I was leaving all those crazies to go relax at the pool!

drp4video

Yes, I have been quite a few times on Christmas Eve, and Christmas day. On Christmas day it is not too bad if you get there early, but by 2:00 in the afternoon it is a mad house! Wall to wall, shoulder to shoulder people. The last time we went was Christmas Day 2007 and as beautiful as the decorations are, we swore we would never go back at Christmas time again (course we said that in 2005 too lol)

surfsupdon

Been about 6 times.

Church service at Contemp in the morning, and then usually Epcot. Most vacations, it was relatively empty, as in, not as crowded as a normal day. I think an overwhelming majority go to MK.

I was there on Christmas Day in 2000. I honestly think it was a bit different then. It wasn't horrible, crowd wise. At that time, a CM told us that the 26th through Jan. 1 was the busiest week of the year. I think that Dec. 25 was the last day in value season...before such things as Holiday season existed. I remember we went to MK in the morning and spent the rest of the day at EPCOT. It was our last day of a 6 day trip and again, it wasn't overly crowded. The following day, the 26th, as we were checking out, it was insane! Markedly busier. Glad to have left when we did. We went to DTD for a bit and then on to relax on the coast somewhere.

drew81

Yes. I was there Christmas day 2005. I ate at the castle for breakfast. That was the year the power went out at MK.

As everyone has said, it is extremely busy and crazy.

TheDisneyMagic

We have been in actually on Christmas day once and that was 1999 and vowed never to enter on that day again. The whole day everyone was squashed in like Sardines and I think we maybe got on one attraction throughout the day. Everyone was very tense and we witnessed many arguments and fights break out.

When everything offered on Christmas day is offered throughout the season, there is just no incentive for us to go that day any more.

Ever since then we spend the day at home and have both of our American neighbours come over and we cook them an English Christmas dinner.

New years is different, we alternate every year between the Magic Kingdom and Epcot but never even attempt to get in to the park until after 21:00. So we go for a meal and slowly make out way to the parks. Usually the fireworks are shown twice a night so many of the families with younger children leave after the first set and the park actually is bearable later in the evening.

Last year for example, we went to Epcot for New Years and managed to ride Spaceship Earth, Journey into Imagination, Soarin', Universe of Energy and Grand Fiesta Tour all before getting our spot for the fireworks and countdown. If we had of gone during the day, we would have been wall - to - wall people and rode practically nothing.

smk

Twice, 2000 and 2006. Both times we swore we would never go again and now we are thinking about a trip in 2012! The place is a mad house but gloriously fun all at the same time. We didn't expect to ride everything and we were not disappointed! Crowds like we have never seen before, snow in HS, Osborne lights, fireworks that are simply magical, hot chocolate and cookies at the resorts, and many fun family memories. That is the reason we will go back again. I say go, have fun, expect long lines, take your time, try not to fight with family, get to the parks early and leave mid day to rest, eat great meals and enjoy! :xmas:

wvdisneyfamily

I'm about 7 hours from checking in at Pop! This will be our first Christmas Day at the World and our first stay at Pop. I'm super excited. Crowds and craziness don't bother me ~ I'm going to Disney World to share the magic of the season with my two loves!

Merry CHRISTmas!!!

Plowboy

You couldn't pay me enough to go on Christmas day. I can only imagine the crowds. We did Disneyland between Christmas and New Years about 20 years ago. Never again. It was like being in a cattle stampede all day. I think we did like 6 rides all day. :eek:

Merry Christmas all!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom