Has an Adventureland height balloon test happened?

YodaMan

So, with everyone being so connected online, and all theme park attractions getting so much detailed attention long, long before they open, can theme parks build new attractions without an increase in attendance? It seems as though every new opening, whether a ride like Jimmy Fallon NY Race, or a land like Pandora, always increases attendance in a proportional manner. Can some rides act as people eaters without causing park attendance to swell? Attendance increases bode well for the bottom line of the theme park companies, but keep the crowd levels and wait time up there for us.

It depends on what the goal is. If the goal was to truly try and increase capacity without increasing crowds, they would never advertise anything. If Mine Train had just opened with no fanfare and no advertisements, that might have helped crowds. But instead they made a big fuss about a roller coaster that couldn't hold any guests and essentially just brought more guests to MK than the attraction could handle, making the rest of the park even more crowded. But Disney's a business and you can't expect them to not advertise something new.

The other 3 parks need things like Avatar and SWL and all the media attention with no mention that MK even exists until the crowds are better distributed, and in the meantime MK needs things like the Toy Story 3rd track that add capacity but don't add new experiences and don't get marketed to the average guest.

Ripken10

It depends on what the goal is. If the goal was to truly try and increase capacity without increasing crowds, they would never advertise anything. If Mine Train had just opened with no fanfare and no advertisements, that might have helped crowds. But instead they made a big fuss about a roller coaster that couldn't hold any guests and essentially just brought more guests to MK than the attraction could handle, making the rest of the park even more crowded. But Disney's a business and you can't expect them to not advertise something new.

The other 3 parks need things like Avatar and SWL and all the media attention with no mention that MK even exists until the crowds are better distributed, and in the meantime MK needs things like the Toy Story 3rd track that add capacity but don't add new experiences and don't get marketed to the average guest.
On that note, and I know it has come up before...but what rides at MK have the most potential for capacity upgrades - perhaps the best ratio of capacity upgrade per cost (sorry off topic, just had me curious thinking back to other conversations).

MarkTwain

On that note, and I know it has come up before...but what rides at MK have the most potential for capacity upgrades - perhaps the best ratio of capacity upgrade per cost (sorry off topic, just had me curious thinking back to other conversations).

I feel like they could do more to promote the Liberty Belle… It can hold a ton of guests, but it's often half empty and they usually close it in the late afternoon. Lots of wasted capacity there. Maybe a jazz band and some drink service on board would help?

Carousel of Progress is a mammoth with the amount of people it can hold, yet it's almost never full… Lots of potential there. Again some upgrades would probably go a long way.

Aside from that... More boats on the Rivers of America like Disneyland has, maybe? Most attractions have set vehicle limits that can't be expanded without doubling the track like TSMM.

EricsBiscuit

Maybe if they shut down pirates for a couple years and built a second show building and maybe add the Shanghai effects (cool boat magnet propulsion thingy etc.) it would increase the capacity of the attraction and they could market it because the ride would be longer and better. Win Win in my book.

ToTBellHop

Maybe if they shut down pirates for a couple years and built a second show building and maybe add the Shanghai effects (cool boat magnet propulsion thingy etc.) it would increase the capacity of the attraction and they could market it because the ride would be longer and better. Win Win in my book.
How would that increase capacity? Longer has no impact on hourly ride capacity.

Goob

My thinking is that if we get the Shanghai POTC, more people would actually want to ride POTC. Thus thinning out other areas of the MK. It's not exactly a people eater anymore.

HauntedMansionFLA

I feel like they could do more to promote the Liberty Belle… It can hold a ton of guests, but it's often half empty and they usually close it in the late afternoon. Lots of wasted capacity there. Maybe a jazz band and some drink service on board would help?

Carousel of Progress is a mammoth with the amount of people it can hold, yet it's almost never full… Lots of potential there. Again some upgrades would probably go a long way.

Aside from that... More boats on the Rivers of America like Disneyland has, maybe? Most attractions have set vehicle limits that can't be expanded without doubling the track like TSMM.
They could always say those two attractions are on the chopping block and better ride them while you can just like SGA.

Fox&Hound

See, I know NFL gets a lot of heat, and I agree it could do more to spread out crowds, but my issue is not Mermaid but the Dumbo Circus area- talk about wasted space!!! Did we need two Dumbo spinners (although I do like the play area for kids). Did we really need a meet and greet with Donald and co in circus attire? The back tent used as a charging station? The water play area that is enjoyed by some and hated by most? If this area was better utilized, I think it would have helped with crowds....

Dizney Crew

See, I know NFL gets a lot of heat, and I agree it could do more to spread out crowds, but my issue is not Mermaid but the Dumbo Circus area- talk about wasted space!!! Did we need two Dumbo spinners (although I do like the play area for kids). Did we really need a meet and greet with Donald and co in circus attire? The back tent used as a charging station? The water play area that is enjoyed by some and hated by most? If this area was better utilized, I think it would have helped with crowds....

This!! We just got back from visiting DLR last week and their ToonTown blows our NFL away, especially with stuff to do, the character houses that house the meet and greets is a great people eater, they have a Big FP ride in Roger rabbit, food options, playgrounds just an interactive city for the kids to interact with is great!! And to me the area is about the same size as what we have at MK. I know we used to have a ToonTown here and why they got rid of it for a dumbed down Circus theme is beyond me, this could have helped spread the crowds out so much better instead of having a splash pad that rarely gets used cept for the summer months.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
How would that increase capacity? Longer has no impact on hourly ride capacity.

Convert to Shanghai... and add a second track!

I hear Disney has had unicorn transportation technology for years. However the Bob's see to much "risk" in this technology. Something about lawsuits and sharp horns

Because the unicorn wasn't Iger's idea, it won't be happening. The only changes he allows are his vanity projects.

HauntedMansionFLA

Perhaps it will get changed once Tim Burton's take on Dumbo is the biggest live action hit yet?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom