Harry Potter Regrets

:ROFLOL:
Rowling regrets nothing. She got a magnificent land built from her books and has retained complete creative control. Not to mention a huge financial windfall.

The regret lies in the executive suites in Burbank.
Why do you think Iger is willing to throw a huge amount of money at a film property that has nowhere near the potential drawing power of Potter? It's because he realized that he made a tremendous blunder by letting HP go and now wants something comparable as his legacy. Sorry, Bob....Avatar (if ever built) ain't it.

Disney dropped the ball. Anyone who is the least bit objective can see that. If they had given JKR what she wanted, as Uni did, they would be booming right now.
Instead they are facing the prospect of an underwhelming Fantasyland addition opening a bit before a massive Potter Phase 2 for which they have no ready response.

Disney is losing the PR battle in central Florida right now and many inside will tell you that they don't have any idea how they are going to get past it other than by continuing to sell a huge dose of "magical" nostalgia. The real magic seems to be happening up the road, while Disney continues to sell "memories".
It will be interesting to see how long Disney clings to the nostalgia business model, promoting it's parks not by consistantly adding to and plussing the parks, but by relying on past guests wanting to return to "make new memories" and "remember the magic" of past visits.

I love them, but they can (and should) do better.

Disney is booked at near 100% year round and they are not booming from a business perspective. Can the universal hotels say the same? I doubt it. Doom and gloom at its finest.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
And you have valid proof this took place other than just because you said so?

Its a well known fact that the budget was horribly slashed, and Martin from what I've seen knows as much as anyone on this forum, and if he doesn't know, he tells us as much.

Its a well known fact that the budget was horribly slashed, and Martin from what I've seen knows as much as anyone on this forum, and if he doesn't know, he tells us as much.

If its a well known fact I didn't know about it. And if it's a fact there should be evidence to support that statement beyond just because someone said so. I would like to see some actual proof before people call it a fact.

Banksy

Total Hippogriff cr*p! She's expressed on many occasions how delighted she was with the attraction and rightly so. :sohappy:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
If its a well known fact I didn't know about it. And if it's a fact there should be evidence to support that statement beyond just because someone said so. I would like to see some actual proof before people call it a fact.

Well, you could always make the effort and read through the threads about the SM refurb, to verify Martin's authenticity on the subject (and so many others). But I suppose simply denying the whole thing is easier.....

TaoBoxer

Forbidden Journey is an amazing experience . The rest of WWoHP is rather non eventful. Kinda like putting lipstick on a pig..... IoA is still a pig.

Ralphlaw

Just returned from a 7 day cruise on the Disney Magic, and Deathly Hallows II was playing on TV, 24/7. Go figure.

It was a sad day when Disney demurred on Harry Potter because it would have been absolutely incredible. Yet I understand the other side as well. If Disney had ceded so much control to Rowling, which is what she apparently wanted, it would have been a terrible precedent. As far as I know, they never gave overwhelming control to George Lucas for Star Tours, Spielberg for Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, or Jim Henson for Muppet Vision 3D. Other such collaborative efforts are certainly going to pop up, and complete control would probably be sought from those future projects if Rowling got it. Could Disney say no? I don't know.

Something still tells me that Disney blew it on this. Walt had to cajole the writer of Mary Poppins to get that great movie made. Roy and Walt had to work with bankers and a ton of others to build up the business in the first place. And the Pixar negotiations must have been brutal, yet ultimately rewarding for everyone at each step of the way.

With all the rumors that flew around, where is the truth with Rowling? Did she shun the idea of handicapped accessibility? Was she insane about a tiny wand shop? Would her veto power extend to nixing ideas after millions would have been spent on development? Who knows?

Yet I do recall that Disney seemed to perhaps think that The Chronicles of Narnia would be adequate competition against Harry Potter, which was obviously a ludicrous notion. Harry has staying power ala Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and the Muppets. Narnia, not so much.

In my opinion, which I expressed years ago on these boards, was that the only comparable literary/movie property would be Lord of the Rings. Make an attraction from that, and maybe Disney could have that brilliant outside acquisition right to give some competition to Harry Potter. Even then, Harry Potter would still prevail in every way, but at least some true excitement would be generated.

Which takes us to the overall value of theming in the first place. But that's another debate. All I know is that Universal would probably trade its Harry Potter for all that the Pirates of the Carribean does for Disney, with the continual movies and other theming and royalty rights. So be it. And thanks for competition to give us, the customers, so much plussing.

Lee

Adventurer
Disney is booked at near 100% year round and they are not booming from a business perspective. Can the universal hotels say the same? I doubt it. Doom and gloom at its finest.

There are far more factors to consider than occupancy rates, such as:
Per guest spending (big concern for Disney)
Off-site attendance
Return on investment

Uni is giving Disney a run for their money in all those areas, and winning in per guest spending.
True, Disney is able to maintain a 70-80% occupancy rate, but what scares them is the number of those guests who are taking one or more days to visit other properties. That number is higher than ever before.

Also, more guests are making Uni a priority during their Orlando stay. Disney isn't the "hot" property in town right now. And likely won't be until they find a way to top what Uni has done with HP.

All of this concerns the Disney "powers that be" more more than a little. Like it or not.:shrug:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Take it or leave it. Makes no odds to me. I guess it's well known to those who followed the overhaul on this forum. Some things aren't postable. Like the original refurb schedule and scope of work spreadsheet.

Thanks guys for vouching for me :wave:

bullsforthewin

:ROFLOL:
Rowling regrets nothing. She got a magnificent land built from her books and has retained complete creative control. Not to mention a huge financial windfall.

The regret lies in the executive suites in Burbank.
Why do you think Iger is willing to throw a huge amount of money at a film property that has nowhere near the potential drawing power of Potter? It's because he realized that he made a tremendous blunder by letting HP go and now wants something comparable as his legacy. Sorry, Bob....Avatar (if ever built) ain't it.

Disney dropped the ball. Anyone who is the least bit objective can see that. If they had given JKR what she wanted, as Uni did, they would be booming right now.
Instead they are facing the prospect of an underwhelming Fantasyland addition opening a bit before a massive Potter Phase 2 for which they have no ready response.

Disney is losing the PR battle in central Florida right now and many inside will tell you that they don't have any idea how they are going to get past it other than by continuing to sell a huge dose of "magical" nostalgia. The real magic seems to be happening up the road, while Disney continues to sell "memories".
It will be interesting to see how long Disney clings to the nostalgia business model, promoting it's parks not by consistantly adding to and plussing the parks, but by relying on past guests wanting to return to "make new memories" and "remember the magic" of past visits.

I love them, but they can (and should) do better.

Are you joking? Disney should of gave into the whims of an ego maniac and let her take control of an entire part of the Magic Kingdom? Please say you are joking....

tl77

For my part, I don't regret that Disney didn't get Potter. I would have felt differently, of course, had Disney actually made the films...but as it is, I'm glad the Potter attraction is at Universal. For one thing, Disney would have had a different take on it and the experience, I fear, wouldn't have been as authentic and faithful as it is at the rival park. Plus, Disney has Disney-developed properties of its own that it's done virtually nothing with (I'm looking at you, Mary Poppins) PLUS what about Beastly Kingdomme? Disney's got to stop buying things and start investing the money towards something new or at least something authentically Disney if it wants to add to its parks. I still can't get over seeing Spiderman merchandise at WDW. Gahh!!!

I agree 100% people go to Disney World to see Disney characters, Disney needs to focus on making great films of their own, and creating great characters again, instead of just buying and selling the flavor of the month.
Harry Potterland may the hot thing of the moment, but so was the Back to the Future Ride 20 years ago, it's now gone.

I live in southeast Pennsylvania, there's Six Flags, Hershey Park, King's Dominion, Busch Gardens, Dorney Park, and a dozen more all a few just hours drive away. All these parks license different stuff like Bugs Bunny, Batman, Charlie Brown, Snoopy, ect... but there's absolutely nothing special about any of it, it feels like you're in some kind of shopping mall, like "Hey kids buy a Bugs Bunny t-shirt":hurl:

The people running WDW shouldn't lost sight of the fact that the Disney name means something special to people, otherwise it'll turn into nothing but a big shopping mall, and when that happens then you really will need to start worring about what the people down the street is selling

I'm afraid that if HP was done by Disney you would have had a much different Harry Potter... I don't think you would have the same actors for one thing... I mean Disney has really gone PC to the nth degree. Look at the typical Disney Channel show and you can easily see some Disney committee saying, "Okay, but we really need one of the kids to be black, one to be Hispanic and one to be Asian... Our demographics show that such a change will increase opening day revenue by X percent."

I mean, be honest... how often has Disney gone over board letting marketing demographics drive content...

CP_alum08

Exactly. So much that can be done with Pixar. We did get one great ride, but shouldn't its popularity be a sign that maybe Pixar needs more room? In my opinion Pixar is the best answer to Uni: films that average over $600 million at the box office, continuity of characters, heartwarming stories. Iger missed one opportunity, and is missing another by not creating an immersive Pixar land.

I agree. Pixar Land > Avatar Land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom