Harry Potter Regrets

The Duck

Original Poster
While visiting DAK last week, a Photopass photographer was telling me that J.K Rowling had at one time discussed bringing Harry to Disney Parks and now she has regrets about going to Universal and wishes that she had gone with Disney instead. This is the first that I've heard of this and frankly, I'm wondering if he got his info from one of the bus drivers. Any one else heard of this or is this just another one of those "stories".

menamechris

She has absolutely no reason to regret going with Universal. She was able to retain complete creative control. Universal did it and is doing it right. Disney would have found a way to screw it up...

CP_alum08

She has absolutely no reason to regret going with Universal. She was able to retain complete creative control. Universal did it and is doing it right. Disney would have found a way to screw it up...

I agree. WWoHP turned out almost perfect at Universal.

As for the original comment...I doubt it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
While visiting DAK last week, a Photopass photographer was telling me that J.K Rowling had at one time discussed bringing Harry to Disney Parks and now she has regrets about going to Universal and wishes that she had gone with Disney instead. This is the first that I've heard of this and frankly, I'm wondering if he got his info from one of the bus drivers. Any one else heard of this or is this just another one of those "stories".

Sounds like someone's wishful thinking..

If she regretted it.. there wouldn't be two more HP projects coming up at UNI.

surfsupdon

I think it was great she went with Universal. I just visited Universal and thought the addition was incredible (never read the series or watched the movies.)

I was thinking that if Disney did get Harry Potter, it would not be as grand as it is at Universal.

I use Pixar Place as an example. They acquire Pixar and develop "Pixar Place" with Toy Syory Mania. But all it is is an attraction in a building with some scrabble letters and monkeys hanging on buildings to tie things together. Not all that great.

New Fantasyland will be nice, too. Big expansion!! But Little Mermaid ride will not in any way be on the same caliber as Harry Potter ride. It's impossible. So yes, I give Disney credit for an expansion, but what "meat" are they putting inside their investment.

Universal did it big. Real big. And it worked.

Rasvar

I think the only thing universal did wrong was to not give it enough space

They underestimated the draw. She never would have gotten the veto power from Disney that she got from Universal. Heck, her veto went so far as to get rid of the hand dryers in the bathrooms because they were too techy.

alissafalco

I suspect folks are going to get mad at me....

I took my daughter to HPW in November, 2011... she really wanted to go there. Thank God she also got 8 days at the WDW parks,

My impression of HPW - a whole lot of nothing. Three rides, very FEW shops that were not facades... we were done in three hours. My daughter, an HP fan nut, just wanted to get back to WDW. We are not going back.

I agree 100%!!! My husband and I both went this past Nov. also. We both said to each other, OK we've seen it, now we never have to come back here ever again. We regretted wasting a day there when we could have been at Disney.

invader

I agree 100%!!! My husband and I both went this past Nov. also. We both said to each other, OK we've seen it, now we never have to come back here ever again. We regretted wasting a day there when we could have been at Disney.

On top of that, two of the three rides had been there previously so it's not like it was all new.

jmick71

I suspect folks are going to get mad at me....

I took my daughter to HPW in November, 2011... she really wanted to go there. Thank God she also got 8 days at the WDW parks,

My impression of HPW - a whole lot of nothing. Three rides, very FEW shops that were not facades... we were done in three hours. My daughter, an HP fan nut, just wanted to get back to WDW. We are not going back.

I had the same feeling. The only thing I found impressive from WWOHP was the ride system (robot arm) from Forbidden Journey. the story and sets of the ride were really bad, but the queue was cool. otherwise it was a HP themed main street,( with 2 other horribly themed rides)
not to mention the show building for forbidden journey was visible LOL

surfsupdon

oh well, haters gonna hate

Yes, I agree, haters always gonna hate.

I'm a Disney fanatic, but can give accolades where they are deserved. In my opinion, HP deserves huge credit. The ride was better than anything Disney has done since ToT/RnRC days. Yes, Everest is great, but I remember thinking "That's it?" when I left Everest for the first time...whereas I couldn't believe the HP ride I had just been on. It felt so new, so unique.

I love Disney World, as evidenced by the thousands I spend there per year, but HP has finally gotten me to spend a day outside of a Disney Park in over 15 years, and I will be returning to Universal with an additional 9 people in November for another day.

menamechris

Harry Potter is not its own theme park. Universal used it as an expansion to IoA. If you go to IoA and expect to fill an entire day in HP, you will be disappointed. Just as no can expect to go to the Magic Kingdom when the Fantasyland expansion opens and expect to spend the day in just that area. It is okay to no expect more from HP (more is coming), but be fair - Universal did something amazing - something we haven't seen from Disney in a long time...

alissafalco

Harry Potter is not its own theme park. Universal used it as an expansion to IoA. If you go to IoA and expect to fill an entire day in HP, you will be disappointed. Just as no can expect to go to the Magic Kingdom when the Fantasyland expansion opens and expect to spend the day in just that area. It is okay to no expect more from HP (more is coming), but be fair - Universal did something amazing - something we haven't seen from Disney in a long time...

I'm not a hater, but IOA and Uni just didn't leave me wanting to come back. I saw it, and now I'm done....but Disney on the other hand with all its flaws leaves me wanting to come back over and over again...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom