Harry Potter Regrets

Ralphlaw

Just a few points, for what they're worth:

1. People don't go to Disney just for the disney characters. Check out Star Wars weekend some time.

2. Toy Story Mania is a cool family ride, especially with younger kids. It's problem is that it is either too crowded or it's broken down. Remember, not every guest is seeking thrills above all else.

3. Harry Potter has far more staying power than Back to the Future. In 20 years, it'll still be incredibly popular--I guarantee it. The stories are just too good.

4. Pirates of the Carribean II is the highest grossing Disney movie of all time, and Disney is exploiting it to its fullest in the parks. It also won an academy award for special effects. The movies are delivering; it's just unrealistic to expect a hit twice a year ala Jack Sparrow, Pinocchio, Peter Pan, or Mickey. Disney has been around for about 80 years, and maybe 80 characters are seen in the parks and in the parades. One new good character a year is perhaps average. Remember, Rapunzel and Flynn Rider are barely a year old. And UP is what, 2 years old. And don't underestimate the draw of Phineas and Ferb who are barely 4 years old. And remember, 2 brand new billion dollar ships were just added, Castaway Cay is improving every month, and the parks in Tokyo and Hong Kong are very new. For Mousejunkies, improvements are never fast enough, but I never heard of a Universal Junkie, much less heard one complain that improvements weren't fast enough in coming.

5. Great new characters don't pop up that often; but Disney, especially with Pixar, has given us dozens over the last 20 years. What has Universal done, especially out of Universal Studios? Anything?

6. Still, Universal without Harry Potter would not be a concern for Disney. With HP at Universal, Disney has to be wondering. Harry generated seven of the best selling books of all time, all relating to the prime Disney age market. It also had 8 tremendously successful movies. I can't help but wonder what a dragon ride, a quidditch ride, an enchanted forest queing area, a Hogwarts Banquet Hall buffet, a Diagon alley area, a Hogsmeade village, and (Hey, why not?) a Hogwarts themed hotel would have done for Disney. It would be worth billions, but Universal got the rights instead. Imagine a Dumbledore coming out in the banquet hall every 45 minutes to change the banners to Gryffindor, or to draw your name from the triwizards cup when your seating is ready. I can dream it, and they could have done it.

Just a few thoughts.

tl77

I don't have anything against Harry Potter, I love those films, but it really is a "flavor of the month" mentality over at Universal. Like for example, at the moment they are tearing down the "Jaws" ride at Universal Orlando, the "Jaws" ride in Hollywood is what they built the park around, it's their signature attraction, based on a film by Steven Spielberg, who's probably got a lot more clout in Hollywood than J.K. Rowling. So if I was her, seeing Steven Spielberg's Jaws get torn down? I'd be regretting having signed up with Universal Studios instead of Disney, because if Steve Spielberg's legacy is expendable? Then everybody is expendable .

Jim Henson decided to sell the Muppets to Disney because he felt they would be good caretakers of his creations, and they have been. George Lucas wanted to work with Disney because he thought they were the best in the business, and Star Tours and Star Wars weekends are evidence of that, but Do you think Universal will be as protective of Harry Potter, I don't know ask Steven Spielberg

My question is why would the Walt Disney Company want to play catch up with this kind of flavor of the month mind set, when their best and most beloved rides like Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room, It's a Small World, Country Bears, Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Expedition Everest... are all unique creations, none of which are based on motion pictures? Why are they buying the lastest thing, instead of creating it? and don't tell me that "it's too hard" to come up great characters or great ride ideas

Rowdy

Sorry, Bob....Avatar (if ever built) ain't it.

And I hope it isn't.

Yes, an expansion for AK. But use that land for good. Hell, open Beastly Kingdom or something original. Forget the movie tie-in, but make it an incredible, and original land, that blows Potter away just on it's own legs. Make it so amazing and have it stand alone to where Universal is embarrassed to have to rely on a movie tie-in to have such an outstanding land. Use new never before seen ride designs, new themes, a total immersive experience like no other theme park before. Have it all from E tickets, to the Dumbo spinner. Make a theme park within a theme park.

Funny thing is, Disney is beyond capable of doing this. Problem is, the ''financial limit'' and higher ups would never let it happen. Which is a shame.

alissafalco

I don't have anything against Harry Potter, I love those films, but it really is a "flavor of the month" mentality over at Universal. Like for example, at the moment they are tearing down the "Jaws" ride at Universal Orlando, the "Jaws" ride in Hollywood is what they built the park around, it's their signature attraction, based on a film by Steven Spielberg, who's probably got a lot more clout in Hollywood than J.K. Rowling. So if I was her, seeing Steven Spielberg's Jaws get torn down? I'd be regretting having signed up with Universal Studios instead of Disney, because if Steve Spielberg's legacy is expendable? Then everybody is expendable .

Jim Henson decided to sell the Muppets to Disney because he felt they would be good caretakers of his creations, and they have been. George Lucas wanted to work with Disney because he thought they were the best in the business, and Star Tours and Star Wars weekends are evidence of that, but Do you think Universal will be as protective of Harry Potter, I don't know ask Steven Spielberg

My question is why would the Walt Disney Company want to play catch up with this kind of flavor of the month mind set, when their best and most beloved rides like Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room, It's a Small World, Country Bears, Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Expedition Everest... are all unique creations, none of which are based on motion pictures? Why are they buying the lastest thing, instead of creating it? and don't tell me that "it's too hard" to come up great characters or great ride ideas

I know, I totally agree!! I hope that Avatar never happens....Its a waste and it will be dated very quickly..I feel it already is! The movie has come and gone

BringMeTheHoriz

I see what you're saying and its a valid opinion, but it highlights the differences between the two properties.

On the one hand you have the classic property that wants to preserve classic attractions as it slowly and sporadically installs new attractions.

On the other hand, you have the relative newcomer who lets the classic attractions run their course then replaces them with newer attractions that are more relevant to their target market.

Its easy to see who is what, and which one is less risky. But I think approach 1 is starting to become a riskier approach than the second because new generations are looking for something they know and can relate to. It is my opinion that Disney's strategy of holding onto the past puts the parks in danger of becoming irrelevant to people born in the 1990s and after.

Lee

Adventurer
So if I was her, seeing Steven Spielberg's Jaws get torn down? I'd be regretting having signed up with Universal Studios instead of Disney, because if Steve Spielberg's legacy is expendable? Then everybody is expendable .
You want three guesses who was consulted about the expansion into the Jaws plot and gave his ok?
The guy who makes millions every year off a consulting deal with Universal parks. He doesn't regret anything and neither will JKR.
:lol:

It isn't uncommon or existing Disney attractions to be removed in favor or something new or (perceived to be) better. Mr. Toad, Horizons, 20K, Alien Encounter, Country Bears at DL...the list is long.

Pioneer Hall

You want three guesses who was consulted about the expansion into the Jaws plot and gave his ok?
The guy who makes millions every year off a consulting deal with Universal parks. He doesn't regret anything and neither will JKR.

It isn't uncommon or existing Disney attractions to be removed in favor or something new or (perceived to be) better. Mr. Toad, Horizons, 20K, Alien Encounter, Country Bears at DL...the list is long.

I'm pretty sure Spielberg has to almost ok anything that goes into those parks with the financial obligation the parks have to him. You probably know better than I do Lee, but I believe it was said that if he decides to walk at any point the property wouldn't be able to have sustained itself. Now with Comcast in control that might have changed a bit, but I remember reading that when he extended the contract a few years ago.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Well lets consider the properties that Universal has that are at least partially Speilberg's doing:

Jaws (gone)
Back to the Future (gone)
E.T.
MIB
Jurassic Park
Fievel's Playland
Shrek

...and I heard he was a consultant on the Spiderman ride as well.

I think Spielberg knew the shark's glory days had come and gone...it was getting "old and stupid" (to quote from the Trey Parker/Matt Stone video for USH so many years ago)

Pioneer Hall

Well lets consider the properties that Universal has that are at least partially Speilberg's doing:

Jaws (gone)
Back to the Future (gone)
E.T.
MIB
Jurassic Park
Fievel's Playland
Shrek

...and I heard he was a consultant on the Spiderman ride as well.

I think Spielberg knew the shark's glory days had come and gone...it was getting "old and stupid" (to quote from the Trey Parker/Matt Stone video for USH so many years ago)

He is a creative consultant for the entire property (and I believe the Japanese property as well). He gets more than 5% of the revenue that place brings in every year, so when he cashes out it's going to be for insane amounts of money.

cheezbat

I suspect folks are going to get mad at me....

I took my daughter to HPW in November, 2011... she really wanted to go there. Thank God she also got 8 days at the WDW parks,

My impression of HPW - a whole lot of nothing. Three rides, very FEW shops that were not facades... we were done in three hours. My daughter, an HP fan nut, just wanted to get back to WDW. We are not going back.

Wow...glad you spent all that money to go to Harry Potter World for three hours and didn't like it. You do realize you were in ISLANDS OF ADVENTURE, right? A whole theme park with other lands and rides...like the Amazing Adventures of Spiderman, or the Incredible Hulk coaster, or the Jurassic Park River Adventure, or all of Suess Landing, or IMO the best river rapids ride anywhere: Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges. Whew. Must have been so terrible being away from the mouse to try something different. Let me guess...next trip you'll spend three days at Animal Kingdom instead to enjoy all the amazing attractions that park has to offer...things you couldn't see in just one or two days! :lol:

Sorry...you're entitled to your opinion, but you just made it sound like you seriously thought that's all there was to that park...as if IOA has no substance aside from Potter.

(To be honest with you, I would take IOA over ANY other Disney park in Florida EXCEPT the Magic Kingdom. I think it's one of the best!)

MickeyPeace

Harry Potter bores the heck out of me. Let Universal have it.

But just think of the interactive queue that Disney could have made! Broomsticks that squeak. Wands that are horns. Frogs that are drums. And hey toddlers, use your computer at home to make an e-card you can send from the park or cut and paste so that it looks like you're flying with Harry.

That sounds billion dollar Disney awesome!

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
And you have valid proof this took place other than just because you said so?

Disney is booked at near 100% year round and they are not booming from a business perspective. Can the universal hotels say the same? I doubt it. Doom and gloom at its finest.

If its a well known fact I didn't know about it. And if it's a fact there should be evidence to support that statement beyond just because someone said so. I would like to see some actual proof before people call it a fact.

Yayyyy Dizney. Universal iz sooo stoopid.

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
Take it or leave it. Makes no odds to me. I guess it's well known to those who followed the overhaul on this forum. Some things aren't postable. Like the original refurb schedule and scope of work spreadsheet.

Thanks guys for vouching for me :wave:

Hey can you email me things you can't post here?

PM me!

draybook

Wow...glad you spent all that money to go to Harry Potter World for three hours and didn't like it. You do realize you were in ISLANDS OF ADVENTURE, right? A whole theme park with other lands and rides...like the Amazing Adventures of Spiderman, or the Incredible Hulk coaster, or the Jurassic Park River Adventure, or all of Suess Landing, or IMO the best river rapids ride anywhere: Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges. Whew. Must have been so terrible being away from the mouse to try something different. Let me guess...next trip you'll spend three days at Animal Kingdom instead to enjoy all the amazing attractions that park has to offer...things you couldn't see in just one or two days! :lol:

Sorry...you're entitled to your opinion, but you just made it sound like you seriously thought that's all there was to that park...as if IOA has no substance aside from Potter.

(To be honest with you, I would take IOA over ANY other Disney park in Florida EXCEPT the Magic Kingdom. I think it's one of the best!)

I have to say that we LOVE Universal. On our trip in December of 09, we were blown away by the decorations and employees there. It was set up much nicer than Disney in our opinions. I agree that if anyone goes to IoA just for Potter, then they aren't thinking ahead. There's much more to the park than that.

JustInTime

It was Disney's loss. Going to WWOHP was the most magical thing...ever. It was near perfect. We loved it so much, we just booked a Universal vacation for the 1st week of March (though we are squeezing in a Magic Kingdom day).

But I still think Disney is better as a whole. It's hard to compare a tiny section of 1 park to 4 parks, however.

Silver Figment

I believe Disney was also in talks for making the Harry Potter movies at one point before Warner Bros got them and Disney passed HP up if i'm correct. I could be wrong though.

Rowdy

The only way this is even possible is if JKR is a huge Hollywood Studios fan, and she wishes that if she had WWOHP there that it'd bring more life into her most favorite and beloved park.

:lookaroun

fosse76

I don't have anything against Harry Potter, I love those films, but it really is a "flavor of the month" mentality over at Universal. Like for example, at the moment they are tearing down the "Jaws" ride at Universal Orlando, the "Jaws" ride in Hollywood is what they built the park around, it's their signature attraction, based on a film by Steven Spielberg, who's probably got a lot more clout in Hollywood than J.K. Rowling.

Disney is like that too. Sleeping Beauty Castle was named to promote the upcoming film release of that movie, and for no other reason. All of these Pixar properties can also be called "flavor of the month" attractions. All these princess properties...no one knows what kind of staying power they will have. And there is no Jaws ride in Hollywood. It's a short scen on the backlot tour at Universal Studios.

So if I was her, seeing Steven Spielberg's Jaws get torn down? I'd be regretting having signed up with Universal Studios instead of Disney, because if Steve Spielberg's legacy is expendable? Then everybody is expendable .

Well that would have been a danger at Disney as well. Look at other threads on this board about people whining about the removal of a so-called classic ride.

Jim Henson decided to sell the Muppets to Disney because he felt they would be good caretakers of his creations, and they have been.

No, they haven't. First, Jim created MuppetVision himself, so he exercised some creative control over the muppets. But since his death they remained stagnant. It's thanks to Jason Segel that the Muppets "live" again. They were fading fast because Disney didn't know what to do with them.

George Lucas wanted to work with Disney because he thought they were the best in the business, and Star Tours and Star Wars weekends are evidence of that, but Do you think Universal will be as protective of Harry Potter, I don't know ask Steven Spielberg
I thought I read that Disney approached him, and that he trusted them enough to agree. But I hardly think a simulator can be "the best", even at that time. And other than them changing the Indiana Stunt Spectacular for an evening, there really isn't anything special about Star Wars weekends (unless you get a kick out of meeting D-list celebrities cashing in on their SW experience). The Star Wars convention itself is a much better event.

My question is why would the Walt Disney Company want to play catch up with this kind of flavor of the month mind set, when their best and most beloved rides like Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room, It's a Small World, Country Bears, Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Expedition Everest... are all unique creations, none of which are based on motion pictures?
As I said above, they do play this "flavor of the month." Many of what you cited were developed or created by Walt himself, and all but the last are the Magic Kingdom. Universal Studios is themed on the premise of movies, so of course most of its attractions will be based on popular films. Only an idiot would fail to see the relevance.

Why are they buying the lastest thing, instead of creating it? and don't tell me that "it's too hard" to come up great characters or great ride ideas
Disney is building an expansion based on a 20-year old film and a 70 year-old film. So at least Universal is staying current. Disney obviously has nothing new to offer. And let's not forget Avatar...or does it not count because Disney is building it? I remember some people on these boards raving that Disney was bringing in the Main Street Electrical Parade and Captain Eo while bashing WWoHP as nothing really new. Yeah, becuse a 40 year-old parade and 25-year-old movie apparently were groundbreaking new additions.

tl77

My point is that no one cares if they tear down the Jaws or Back to the Future rides at Universal because Universal is all about hype, and having the latest or greatest whatever... which is a perfectly valid business model, it's how most amusement parks make their money.

But if when Disney tears down Mr. Toad, Horizons, 20K, Alien Encounter, Country Bears, Journey into Imagination... people get real upset, why? because Disney isn't in hype business they're in the legacy business. People go to Disney World because their parents took them ,and they want to take their kids. No one 's buying a 40 year lease on Vacation Club because of what might happen in the future it, they're buying in for 40 years because they've fallen in love with what's already there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom