Harry Potter Regrets

Ralphlaw

I asked my secretary, who's about 24 years old. She and her little sister are going to Universal this year because of Harry Potter, and maybe will spend some time at Disney if they have an extra day. Oh what has the world come to?

And why don't 14 year old girls have a sense of humor anyway? They never laugh. You say something funny, and they just stare. The boys, and the younger and older girls, laugh, but not the mid teenage girls. It's almost not human.

Doing research on attendance Statistics based on 2010, since 2011 statistics are not avilable, even with Potter both Universal parks combined barely can beat Disney's worst performing park. Universal has more in common with Six Flags than Disney. No wonder Disney let Potter go, they never needed it.

Pioneer Hall

Doing research on attendance Statistics based on 2010, since 2011 statistics are not avilable, even with Potter both Universal parks combined barely can beat Disney's worst performing park. Universal has more in common with Six Flags than Disney. No wonder Disney let Potter go, they never needed it.

Numbers are somewhat deceiving though. The MK is the most visited park, and that really helps build attendance at other parks (especially at the Studio and AK where most guests are those using multiday passes. Also, attendance isn't nearly as important as per guest spending. Food and merchandise are where the big profit margins lie, and Potter is bringing that in by the boatload.

Let's also be realistic, Disney offers a lot more in terms of vacation destination. 4 parks, water parks, more resorts, etc. I don't think anyone will argue that Disney is not going to remain #1 (unless they really just stop building attractions). However, if Universal starts taking more days away from the standard Disney vacation, that could have a severe impact on the bottom line for the mouse.

lazyboy97o

Attendance is not a very good factor, especially with the pricing structure of admission and the wide availability of discounts. (And from the numbers I see both Universal Orlando Resort parks are not far behind Disney's California Adventure and ahead of Hong Kong Disneyland and Walt Disney Studios Paris).

The big number is guest spending. Walt Disney World has been in a slump since 9/11. Disney has largely been able to continue to blame their depressed numbers on issues such on continued fears regarding travel and the economy. What Universal Orlando Resort has shown by its massive jump in guest spending is that these reasonings given by Disney were just excuses. People were not being conservative with their spending at Walt Disney World because they were short on cash or concerned about the future, but because they simply found nothing compelling about what was being offered for sale at Walt Disney World.

How can statistics be misleading when they tell the whole story? If people are going to universal for one day, and that's all you need for both of there parks, people will spend money because they are not coming back. If you go for a week and stay 6 days at Disney and one at Universal, even with Potter Disney is taking more of your vacation dollar. As for discounts, Universal offers huge discounts as much as Disney, so that's a wash. As much as I want to believe this Universal has Disney's number argument, the facts, even if skewered says otherwise.

JT3000

My point is that no one cares if they tear down the Jaws or Back to the Future rides at Universal because Universal is all about hype, and having the latest or greatest whatever... which is a perfectly valid business model, it's how most amusement parks make their money.

No one cares? Is that why Universal received hundreds of complaints (on their Facebook page alone) for closing Jaws? Universal is not just a hype machine. You don't have to care about it, but plenty of others do. I just wish Universal themselves cared more about their "legacy" attractions.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

Your efforts were undeniably strenuous:

http://www.themeparktourist.com/new...68-attendance-increase-universal-orlando-reso

And no, attendance numbers alone are not the best barometer. But when a competitor gets that much of an increase, Disney is bound (and should) to take notice. And hopefully pick up their game as well.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

Jimmy Thick

Your efforts were undeniably strenuous:

http://www.themeparktourist.com/new...68-attendance-increase-universal-orlando-reso

And no, attendance numbers alone are not the best barometer. But when a competitor gets that much of an increase, Disney is bound (and should) to take notice. And hopefully pick up their game as well.

And what are Disney's numbers during the same time frame and what are the chances they are as good or better?

Wait, let me answer. Since Disney does not release those numbers, people will just guess and of course the posters here will of course say they are down...

Hopefully Universal broke the 6 million visitors per park last year, I doubt it, but anything is possible.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jimmy Thick-Let them eat cake!!!

Jimmy Thick

There you go bringing facts into this argument again.

What's your problem anyway? :lol:

A news report is hardly a fact. A year end balance sheet with accurate numbers, now thats a fact you cannot despute.

Jimmy Thick-People need to get their facts straight!!!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
And what are Disney's numbers during the same time frame and what are the chances they are as good or better?

Wait, let me answer. Since Disney does not release those numbers, people will just guess and of course the posters here will of course say they are down...

Hopefully Universal broke the 6 million visitors per park last year, I doubt it, but anything is possible.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jimmy Thick-Let them eat cake!!!

Kind of ignoring the fact that Universal not only saw a 68% increase in their 2011 first quarter for attendance alone, but a profit of $45 million too, whereas the same quarter in 2010 saw them losing $36 million. But then again, actually looking at the real fact and figures always poses a challenge for you....

But, for the sake of humoring the thick, the fourth quarter of 2011 saw an increase at both Disney parks by 3%. Since they don't actually release numbers or the like....

Jimmy Thick- Seeking to corner the business of thick nationwide.

Jimmy Thick

Kind of ignoring the fact that Universal not only saw a 68% increase in their 2011 first quarter for attendance alone, but a profit of $45 million too, whereas the same quarter in 2010 saw them losing $36 million. But then again, actually looking at the real fact and figures always poses a challenge for you....

But, for the sake of humoring the thick, the fourth quarter of 2011 saw an increase at both Disney parks by 3%. Since they don't actually release numbers or the like....

Jimmy Thick- Seeking to corner the business of thick nationwide.

And what was Disney's numbers during the time Universal had this monumental upswing of tremendous growth? Can anyone answer this or will there just continue to be random guesses to appease people who desperately feel the need to point out Disney's flaws when there really are not none to point out?

Unless people can post actual balance sheet numbers, for Universal and Disney, well I guess people are just, um I don't know, possibly making things up?

Jimmy Thick-I see no evidence, or actual facts...

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
And what was Disney's numbers during the time Universal had this monumental upswing of tremendous growth? Can anyone answer this or will there just continue to be random guesses to appease people who desperately feel the need to point out Disney's flaws when there really are not none to point out?

Unless people can post actual balance sheet numbers, for Universal and Disney, well I guess people are just, um I don't know, possibly making things up?

Jimmy Thick-I see no evidence, or actual facts...

You mean like throwing out numbers such as a billion here and there? No, I'll leave that up to those who are more proficient at pulling random figures out of their tailpipe.....

And if you're so concerned, here's a link for you:

http://corporate.disney.go.com/investors/quarterly_earnings.html

Of course, trying to fully compare the two entities is akin to apples and oranges, but I'm certain you won't let basic facts get in your way.

Jimmy Thick- Because it can take real research to be this thick.

Jimmy Thick

You mean like throwing out numbers such as a billion here and there? No, I'll leave that up to those who are more proficient at pulling random figures out of their tailpipe.....

And if you're so concerned, here's a link for you:

http://corporate.disney.go.com/investors/quarterly_earnings.html

Of course, trying to fully compare the two entities is akin to apples and oranges, but I'm certain you won't let basic facts get in your way.

Jimmy Thick- Because it can take real research to be this thick.

And reading Disneys corporate quartely fiscal reports proves, now hang in there, that the parks, all Disney parks, were UP each quarter no less than 7%
with a high of 12%. Now if you add all the parks together, thats a rather staggering number.

Possibly into the billions...

Jimmy Thick-Nice self ownage:lol:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
And reading Disneys corporate quartely fiscal reports proves, now hang in there, that the parks, all Disney parks, were UP each quarter no less than 7%
with a high of 12%. Now if you add all the parks together, thats a rather staggering number.

Possibly into the billions...

Jimmy Thick-Nice self ownage:lol:

"Add all the parks together." Right, Disney has how many parks, as compared to Universal, or more accurately, Universal parks that have a WWoHP in them?

And yet for the fourth quarter, attendance at those multiple Disney parks was only up 3%....

Jimmy Thick- Just can't overcome the thickness....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom