Harry Potter IS making a difference!!

MickeyMind

Original Poster
I really hope legoland will add fuel to the fire, and get disney to step their game up.. All disney does is hike up prices, giving us a few refurbs here and there while taking more away, guests arent stupid, they know there is no reason to go back to wdw for a while. Disney shouldve already had something big planned for next year, all they have is a refurbed star tours, seriously? In that one year more and more people are going to decide to check out hp, they're going to realize that uni offers great entertainment that is on par with disney, I say this because I was one of those converts THIS year.

I went to uni for the first time this year since it first opened, main reason being potter, and I must say I was really wowed by some of the things uni is doing, spiderman, mummy, so many things I would never have experienced had hp not opened.. and now I want to go back, which means more money for uni, less money for disney.

I really hope disney unleashes something big, and fle might not be the best answer, sure its a great start, but these are attractions based on movie made almost 20 years ago, and they're mostly geared towards little girls. So, sadly I dont think its going to be enough.

TDO needs to get kicked out, everyone that has something to do with the declining value. They need people who care about the parks, not just people worried about making a few dollars. In the 90s it seemed like they really cared, like they really wanted to make these parks the best they can be but now the people in charge just care about the bottom line.

WDW isnt bad now, but the value that used to be there, and the hope for amazing things is gone. Theyre not making innovative rides anymore, and theyre kind of just keeping the place as is.

They need to do something great again, something that will get everyone talking like hp, and then they have to keep doing great things to keep people coming back.

Wilt Dasney

jt, buddy, you really think so? A wake up call for whom exactly? :confused:

In my opinion, the only folks in central Florida who should be worried about Legoland are the guys running gator farms and mini golf courses, as it will take an afternoon out of the average Orlando itinerary for places like this...

congo3.jpg

Precisely. If HP hasn't woken Disney up (whatever that means), I don't see Legoland doing it.

S

stphnbogert

yeah i'm hoping that someone at disney is really pushing the idea of expansions and new rides at ak, dhs and epcot. maybe clean up and update discovery island and river country

raven

I think Disney needs to thank Universal. Not for making additions to their park that over-shaddow Disney's but for providing a break while they are building their own counter attack. It just provides more build-up and anticipation while the competitions "flash a pan" burns itself out.

S

stphnbogert

I think Disney needs to thank Universal. Not for making additions to their park that over-shaddow Disney's but for providing a break while they are building their own counter attack. It just provides more build-up and anticipation while the competitions "flash a pan" burns itself out.

well said. =) totally agree.

Wilt Dasney

No offense to raven, but HP is still going strong after 13 years (and keeping Disney out of 1st place at the box office as I type this). I think any hope that people will stop visiting HP-Land after the movies run their course is misguided. JMHO

S

stphnbogert

hp will still be popular years after this. it also probably caught disney off guard because now for the first time in a while they have competition.

raven

No offense to raven, but HP is still going strong after 13 years (and keeping Disney out of 1st place at the box office as I type this). I think any hope that people will stop visiting HP-Land after the movies run their course is misguided. JMHO

I'm talking about park attractions, not movies.

Duckberg

HEY Disney!

1. LOWER admission prices to WDW! :sohappy:

2. REDUCE current sky high room rates @ WDW! :sohappy:

3. DO something for adults after dark @ WDW! :sohappy:

Duckberg :brick:

Wilt Dasney

Oh, I know. I figured you were saying the attraction would become ignored once there's no movie out there to keep Harry in the public eye. I just don't see it happening. Spider-Man has been out of theaters for 3-4 years, Aerosmith hasn't been hot since the '90s...I think quality attractions always outlive their brands, and from what I've heard, HP is top of the line quality.

raven

Oh, I know. I figured you were saying the attraction would become ignored once there's no movie out there to keep Harry in the public eye. I just don't see it happening. Spider-Man has been out of theaters for 3-4 years, Aerosmith hasn't been hot since the '90s...I think quality attractions always outlive their brands, and from what I've heard, HP is top of the line quality.

Hope so because look at what happened to their last one. :rolleyes:

MickeyMind

Original Poster
A well made attraction will always out-live the movie's popularity. In fact a great attraction sometimes doesnt even need a film for people to love it as long as its a great attraction.

Look at splash, I dont know anyone who has ever seen song of the south, yet that is one of the best made rides ever, and it still draws in the crowds.

Look at btmr never based on any film, yet its one of the most recognizable attractions of the disney repertoire.

A good attraction is a good attraction and will always stand the test of time, as long as its a good, in depth, fully realized and most importantly FUN it will always be popular.

A great ride takes you to a different place, a place that doesnt exist in this world, a place where you can get a thrill but is also pleasing to the senses.

Point is: good rides dont need to be based on movies, knowing what movie the ride is based on just gets you through the door, but once your in the queue and off the ride, the ride's success will depend solely on how great the ride actually was.

Mouse Detective

Hope so because look at what happened to their last one. :rolleyes:

Huh?

Legoland will be the wake up call.

So many people are saying Legoland Florida will mean nothing in the big scheme of things. The California park has had no impact, it's just for little kids, it's too far away, blah blah blah. JT is correct about this one. Harry Potter has taken a huge demographic away from Disney and Legoland is going to take another. When I say "taken away", I don't mean these people won't still do Disney. They will. But we're talking about a day or two by many families spent away from Disney. It's like Michael Douglas' and Catherine Zeta-Jones visit to Orlando this weekend. They spent one day at EPCOT and one day at Islands of Adventure/Harry Potter, as reported by the Orlando Sentinel. In the past they likely would have spent two days at Disney World.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trav...el-douglas-universal-20101127,0,7298529.story

hpyhnt 1000

Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit.

I don't think anyone would really consider HRRR to be a "quality" attraction. There is little theming or story and it has pretty lousy capacity (though it shouldn't if everything works); plus it sticks out like a sore thumb across the park. Of course, its various design and mechanical flaws have only made the situation worse, but even aside from those, I would never consider it a "quality" attraction like Spider-Man, Mummy, or Forbidden Journey. :shrug:

Wilt Dasney

A well made attraction will always out-live the movie's popularity. In fact a great attraction sometimes doesnt even need a film for people to love it as long as its a great attraction.
And on the flip side, a stale, uncompelling attraction can't depend on its license to draw people in, even if it's based on one of the biggest franchises of all time that was still releasing movies as recently as 5 years ago.

StarToursLogo.jpg

MickeyMind

Original Poster
I don't think anyone would really consider HRRR to be a "quality" attraction. There is little theming or story and it has pretty lousy capacity (though it shouldn't if everything works); plus it sticks out like a sore thumb across the park. Of course, its various design and mechanical flaws have only made the situation worse, but even aside from those, I would never consider it a "quality" attraction like Spider-Man, Mummy, or Forbidden Journey. :shrug:

HRR IS a quality attraction because of its thrill. Rollercoasters dont need to be fully themed, they just need to have a good thrill factor AND HRR definitly delivers. Sure its a little six flags, and the queue couldve been themed, but they definitly succeeded at making a really good ride.

RSoxNo1

To be honest, I think the only thing that Disney could actually gain steam with is a new park, because the rest doesn't seem to measure up in the eyes of the public to HPW.

I'd rather they invest in the current parks. I don't think there's a demand for a new park right now.

animal kingdom is a one day park but i think adding an austrailia or south america land would be great and to put an e ticket attraction in there.

Unfortunately there are so many problems for expanding the Animal Kingdom. The park is so well themed that any expansion would have to be a major one.
  • An expansion that replaces Camp Minnie Mickey would require the relocation of Festival of the Lion King
  • Access to the large expansion pad by Asia requires reworking of the Maharajah Jungle Trek and/or the Wildlife Express Train
  • Expansion near Finding Nemo the Musical requires moving an access road and/or demoing Dino-Rama

This. For reference? I don't even GO on that ride... never have.
BUT - when we begin to rank WDW performance in terms of FIXING STUFF? Folks - I can hear Walt SCREAMING. That isn't Disney - that's GM.

The solution? Pretty much what you and I would do with our homes... QUIT BUYING NEW STUFF UNTIL YOU FIX OR GET RID OF THE OLD STUFF. ESPECIALLY overseas parks.

I love WDW - so much, that I want to see the neglect end. Please.

I thought the same thing when I read this. Fixing a major show element is something that should simply be done. It's not something that should be done to boost attendance.

Legoland will be the wake up call.

I will be watching the next D23 convention closely. Heck, I might even go this time.

That is when I think we will hear something. Possibly.

Need a catchier phrase than Lego Swatter.

I highly doubt Lego Land will affect Disney World at all.

If you want to call Harry Potter a "Flash in the Pan", you may be accurate from a merchandise standpoint. I don't think any franchise can maintain the pace of merchandise sales that IOA is pulling in at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

Having said that, so much of that merchandise is Theme Park specific, and Disney has shied away from that in recent years. Much of the merchandise that's available in the theme park shops is generic merchandise that can be found in local Wal-Mart's.

From an attraction standpoint, I anticipate an expansion to IOA in the form of a Harry Potter expansion as well as the addition of another major franchise (Avatar or Lord of the Rings). If these expansions are anchored by attractions that rival the quality of Forbidden Journey as well as Theme Park exclusive merchandise Universal will become stronger. They recognized the need for change, and are starting to adhere to the John Lasseter mantra, "quality is a hell of a business plan."

This brings about what is actually needed in each of the parks. I've done lists like this before, but I'll do it again:

Magic Kingdom
  • Fantasyland Expansion was definitely needed. The fact that they changed out the Meet and Greets for a major attraction (Snow White) is a very good thing.
  • Snow White's Scary Adventures needs to remain as a location for a dark ride. Sure, I'd love for them to gut both SWSA and Winnie the Pooh to make a version of Pooh's Hunny Hunt, but realistically SWSA just needs to be rethemed to a new franchise
  • New Meet and Greets for the Princesses and Fairies. One possible location is the Fantasyland Skyway building
  • Expand the walkway between Fantasyland and Liberty Square
  • Re-work the layout for the Speedway, Convert to Electric Cars
  • Replace Stitch's Great Escape, and possible utilize additional space in either Merchant of Venice or Mickey's Star Traders
  • Make the Enchanted Tiki Room a Dinner Show
Epcot
  • Build off the beaten path Convention areas like Millinium Village so that prime real estate like The Odyssey and Wonders of Life can be better utlized
  • Close the Imagination! Pavilion and re-open with a brand new ride and ride system, ideally using the Hunny Hunt tech (are you noticing a trend here?)
  • Add a table service restaurant to The American Adventure pavilion that features specialties from all over the country (New England Clam Chowder, St. Louis Ribs, New Orleans Cajun Food, etc)
  • E-Ticket added to World Showcase
  • Replacement to Ellen's Energy Adventure and Wonders of Life
  • Ability to see end of ride videos of other vehicles during Spaceship Earth Descent. I'd also like to have Judy Dench's narration synced up properly for the grand reveal of planet Earth. On the Jeremy Irons narration he hit the line, "on this, our Spaceship Earth" right as the Earth was revealed.
  • File this one under never gonna happen: Change the entrance of Soarin' to somewhere between Canada and Showcase Plaza when Soarin' Over the World arrives. Also, if they can come up with a clearer video for Soarin' Over the World that would obviously be an improvement as well.
Hollywood Studios
  • Clearly define the "Lands" of the park
  • Pixar Place expansion is obvious, and likely already in the works with a Monster's Inc Coaster and Carsland expansion towards the end of the decade
  • Move "Pizza Planet" to Pixar Place
  • Honey I Shrunk the Kids playset changed to A Bugs Life playset
  • Removal of the Backlot Tour
  • Expansion of the Animation Courtyard, perhaps at the cost of the Animation Tour and Voyage of the Little Mermaid. There are expansion pads behind the Animation Tour building.
  • Connect the Animation Courtyard and Sunset Boulevard
  • Relocation/removal of the Hat
  • Replacement of Sounds Dangerous with a new concept by George Lucas to be part of new "land" Lucasland
Animal Kingdom
  • Re-location of Festival of the Lion King to Africa
  • New land on the Camp Minnie Mickey Footprint
  • Re-open Discovery River Boats with added show scenes.
  • Find a way to access this land behind Asia in a way that doesn't necessitate a ridiculous amount of walking. This may be the best spot on Disney World property for a World of Color type show.
  • If Maharajah Jungle Trek needs to be re-worked, the addition of Giant Pandas would be a huge boost to the park.
  • Replace Dino-Rama with either Australia or a legit expansion to Dinoland U.S.A.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom