Harry Potter at Disney Studios

Aurora_25

LoriMistress said:
There is no compassion in this world; just tolerance.

Gee, that's strange- I have met many people (in this world) with ALOT of compassion- so are you telling me that it was actually just tolerance??? Man, my life will now have to change drastically....

tigsmom

LoriMistress said:
There is no compassion in this world; just tolerance.

com·pas·sion ([font=verdana,sans-serif] P [/font]) Pronunciation Key (k
schwa.gif
m-p
abreve.gif
____
prime.gif
schwa.gif
n)
n.
<dl> <dd>Deep awareness of the suffering of another coupled with the wish to relieve it. See Synonyms at pity.</dd> </dl>
tol·er·ance ([font=verdana,sans-serif] P [/font]) Pronunciation Key (t
obreve.gif
l
prime.gif
schwa.gif
r-
schwa.gif
ns)
n.
  1. The capacity for or the practice of recognizing and respecting the beliefs or practices of others.
    1. Leeway for variation from a standard.
    2. The permissible deviation from a specified value of a structural dimension, often expressed as a percent.
I am a compassionate person which is why I became a nurse and yet I have no tolerance for your actions here. Go figure.

Aurora_25

tigsmom said:
I am a compassionate person which is why I became a nurse and yet I have no tolerance for your actions here. Go figure.

:sohappy: Mad- thanks for posting the definitions for us :)
And I agree with what you said :D

dave2822

CSOM said:
So let me get this straight, if it's been discussed before, it can never be discussed again? So that if someone wants to have a conversation on a message board about a topic, instead he should just read someone's old conversation? :hurl:

Sorry but as unfair as that may sound to you, no one who has read one Harry Potter thread ever wants to read another. They are dozens of pages long, filled with ridiculous ideas, and never ever die (as witnessed by the currently two HP threads floating around). Not to mention this isn't news or rumors. Even a rumor has to have some credit/merit, and HP is never coming. Discuss it in chit chat, or even in WDW General Discussion, but everytime people post in this section it is giving the casual fan who just glances by wdwmagic.com the wrong idea.

CSOM said:
BTW, one thing that I have never seen answered, is why everyone is against a HP ride.

Be happy to answer. Firstly, and most importantly, makes no sense to the bottom line, and that is what means the most to shareholders. Airing rights have nothing to do with what we are talking about. Disney Channel has shown Back to the Future 2 on occasion, this argument isn't relevant. You need the rights to build the attraction, the money to build it, and the merchandising rights, which J.K. will never give up, or will ask for way too much of a cut for it to be worth it for TWDC.

And, to those who think it belongs somewhere, where?

Magic Kingdom: Never, Harry Potter doesn't belong anywhere near Mickey Mouse. Fantasyland is filled with Disney classics, not attractions they simply own the right to and has no other affiliations with them. Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan, IASW, Dumbo, Harry Potter? please.

EPCOT: This one is the funniest. World Showcase is about attention to detail and realism. Harry Potter is fantasy, and set in fantasy. Just because the author is British does not make it o.k. to stick it in that pavilion. And if you honestly believe that attraction would fit in with the rest of World Showcase .....

So this brings us to Disney Studios, where non-Disney affiliations live. Star Tours, Indiana Jones, all of these attractions Disney is affiliated with have stood the test of time, and proven to be enjoyed by all audiences. Harry Potter certainly can't say that, and who knows if this is a generation fad and will look horrible in a decade. Think in the future guys.

nibblesandbits

dave2822 said:
So this brings us to Disney Studios, where non-Disney affiliations live. Star Tours, Indiana Jones, all of these attractions Disney is affiliated with have stood the test of time, and proven to be enjoyed by all audiences. Harry Potter certainly can't say that, and who knows if this is a generation fad and will look horrible in a decade. Think in the future guys.

Except to tell you the truth, I don't really enjoy Star Wars or Indy...so it isn't enjoyed by all audiences. (Matter of fact, I have NEVER stepped foot in Indiana Jones...didn't ever appeal to me.)

And not to start a Harry Potter debate or anything, but just as a rebuttle to your statement...Harry Potter actually is a book that can be enjoyed by all. I know of adults who read these books, college students, high school, all the way on down the line...so to say that HP isn't enjoyed by all audiences is false. I used to think the same thing as all of you who hate these Harry Potter threads...that HP didn't belong...that it was stupid and who would want to read those books? That Harry Potter was such a fad. But after reading them, it made me realize that truthfully, I do think Harry Potter will stand the test of time. Most people who actually read just one of the books enjoy them, because they have a real story that everyone can relate to. And story lines are what make things stand the test of time. (That's what makes the successful Disney rides stand the test of time? Correct?)

What I'm trying to say is that should Disney ever decide to build a HP ride...(and I"m not saying they should or shouldn't.) it could fit in with MGM...any other place, not so much.

(Once again, I am not trying to debate with anyone...just stating something that I think dave2822 might look into. I in no way endorse a HP ride at Disney)

dave2822

nibblesandbits said:
Except to tell you the truth, I don't really enjoy Star Wars or Indy...so it isn't enjoyed by all audiences. (Matter of fact, I have NEVER stepped foot in Indiana Jones...didn't ever appeal to me.)

And not to start a Harry Potter debate or anything, but just as a rebuttle to your statement...Harry Potter actually is a book that can be enjoyed by all. I know of adults who read these books, college students, high school, all the way on down the line...so to say that HP isn't enjoyed by all audiences is false. I used to think the same thing as all of you who hate these Harry Potter threads...that HP didn't belong...that it was stupid and who would want to read those books? That Harry Potter was such a fad. But after reading them, it made me realize that truthfully, I do think Harry Potter will stand the test of time. Most people who actually read just one of the books enjoy them, because they have a real story that everyone can relate to. And story lines are what make things stand the test of time. (That's what makes the successful Disney rides stand the test of time? Correct?)

What I'm trying to say is that should Disney ever decide to build a HP ride...(and I"m not saying they should or shouldn't.) it could fit in with MGM...any other place, not so much.

(Once again, I am not trying to debate with anyone...just stating something that I think dave2822 might look into. I in no way endorse a HP ride at Disney)

Understand what you are saying, but still the fact remains that although Harry Potter may very well stand this test of time, it is certainly not for sure. Star Tours, Indy, Aerosmith, Twilight Zone, all of these have a certain factor in common, that they all are timeless. Every generation has heard of them, they appeal to a tapestry of groups. When I was a kid Goosebumps books were HUGE, now I couldn't tell you if they still make or sell those. Harry Potter currently has a lot of appeal, but we will have to wait a couple of decades to find out if they remain popular, and the fact is, nobody knows. I'm sure Disney doesn't want to take that risk.

Glasgow

Well said NibblesAndBits .. I don't necessarily have an opinion of whether there should be an HP ride or not, but it certainly is a popular franchise enjoyed by all manners of people. To say that it's not enjoyed by ALL is foolish in my opinion. I was on a flight back from the UK (I was at Edinburgh castle the day before JK Rowling did the unveiling of the new book) the day after the newest book came out and saw little kids and grown ups alike frantically racing through their books.

Tigger1988

Making a ride or attraction about a book has proved hazardous to Disney before.
Anyone else remember the Goosebumps stage show. Goosebumps was HUGE back then. But alas it was just a fad.

CSOM

dave2822 said:
Sorry but as unfair as that may sound to you, no one who has read one Harry Potter thread ever wants to read another. They are dozens of pages long, filled with ridiculous ideas, and never ever die (as witnessed by the currently two HP threads floating around). Not to mention this isn't news or rumors. Even a rumor has to have some credit/merit, and HP is never coming. Discuss it in chit chat, or even in WDW General Discussion, but everytime people post in this section it is giving the casual fan who just glances by wdwmagic.com the wrong idea.

I understand, I've seen plenty of re-peat threads over the 3 years I've been on here (Monorail, 5th Gate, HP, etc. etc.) but I still don't see why people get so upset about another thread... don't read it if you aren't interested. Someone was interested enough to start a discussion in the discussion section, that should be enough.

I also understand what you are saying about the News & Rumors section, but can we then hold that standard across the board, instead of allowing general questions, trip reports disguised as news, and imagineering suggestions allowed on here? Can we stop beating people up for posting "Rumors"? (I have no problem debating the likelihood, but it seems this group stops just short of nailing them to the cross....)

nibblesandbits

dave2822 said:
Understand what you are saying, but still the fact remains that although Harry Potter may very well stand this test of time, it is certainly not for sure. Star Tours, Indy, Aerosmith, Twilight Zone, all of these have a certain factor in common, that they all are timeless. Every generation has heard of them, they appeal to a tapestry of groups. When I was a kid Goosebumps books were HUGE, now I couldn't tell you if they still make or sell those. Harry Potter currently has a lot of appeal, but we will have to wait a couple of decades to find out if they remain popular, and the fact is, nobody knows. I'm sure Disney doesn't want to take that risk.

You're right...there hasn't been enough time that has gone by to tell if it will stand the test of time. But, as I said earlier, the thing that will cause it to stand the test of time (if it even does) is the fact that it has a story that everyone can relate to. That's what makes any successful story.

I don't think the fact that just because it is a book it will be unpopular in a few years. That why there was the difference with the Goosebumps books. While those books were HUGE, (I mean I even remember them to this day!), I don't think they had the same appeal the HP has. Mostly young adults read those books, but with Harry Potter, the types of people who read that run the gammit.

And I'm sure that if Disney decides to take that risk...there will be at least some research into the project to see whether or not they think it will stand the test of time. Because as with another difference with the Goosebumps books, that was a show they did for those, correct? From what I'm getting here, Disney would be building a ride. They don't just half ______ rides (usually... :lookaroun )

Captain Chaos

I'm going to add my 2 cents in... HP does not belong in MGM either since that theme park is based on the MOVIES... not books.... Since Disney could not based an attraction on the movies, I doubt HP will ever show up in WDW...

peter11435

dxer07002 said:
I'm going to add my 2 cents in... HP does not belong in MGM either since that theme park is based on the MOVIES... not books.... Since Disney could not based an attraction on the movies, I doubt HP will ever show up in WDW...
MGM is based on entertainment more than it is movies. Hence the inclusion of Rock'n Roller Coaster, Playhouse Disney, and Tower of Terror. That said I agree Harry Potter should not come to a Disney park. I for one am sick of Harry Potter.

nibblesandbits

peter11435 said:
MGM is based on entertainment more than it is movies. Hence the inclusion of Rock'n Roller Coaster, Playhouse Disney, and Tower of Terror. That said I agree Harry Potter should not come to a Disney park. I for one am sick of Harry Potter.
Well, I'm sick of hearing about Star Wars, but I don't complain about it every time Star Wars weekends come around. (Not just in reference to you...but to everyone who complains about HP)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom