Harry Potter....and it looks amazing

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Two things:
[EDIT: I don't know why I didn't include this originally but I do remember WWOHP's budget being quoted by the media at $300 million initially. Where it went from there, I have no clue, other than it went UP. Disney is spending a similar amount on FL. Bear in mind that Uni chose to spend the lion's share of the money on the Hogwarts experience itself, followed by Hogsmede, then the other attraction redos.

$200million is the figure always quoted by the Orlando Sentinel.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...rld-forbidden-journey-witchcraft-and-wizardry

pheneix

$200million is the figure always quoted by the Orlando Sentinel.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...t-and-wizardry

Funny, because I was thinking of a Sentinel article from a couple of years ago when Wizarding World was first announced that had the $300 million figure. I did a Google search and found several sources that reference a $300 million budget but I have too much dignity to rely on Jim Hill as my publicly verifiable source of this information. ;)

Wizarding World speaks for itself and it speaks for a hell of a lot more than $200 million. I'm not even sure the ride itself came in at under $200 million. The ride vehicles themselves were easily north of a million each and they have nearly 40 of them. The building materials, landscaping, ride hardware, costumes, lighting, everything was built with first class custom made materials. This is a departure for Universal, which has been notorious for using cheap vendors to get the job done (ROCKIT!!!!!). Everyone seems to think that the average E-ticket ride costs $100 million. That's incorrect. That's how much an E-ticket ride cost to build 15 years ago. Inflation has greatly increased the amount of capital needed to get a ride up and running.

Lastly, just because Disney blows more money on attractions doesn't necessarily mean they turn out better. On paper Expedition Everest's budget dwarfed Revenge of the Mummy's, yet pound for pound E:E's experience isn't nearly as immersive, nor is the story even remotely as well executed, as ROTM.

To comment futher, what attraction do you think WDW will respond with when FJ becomes a massive headache to the company?

Who knows. I think they really expect the Fantasyland redo to recapture any market share they might lose with Potter. Even if it doesn't you're looking at 1-2 years before they even green light their next big project.

However, Cars Land at DCA does compare very favorably to WWOHP, both in budget and scope. That more than anything else will be Disney's response to Potter, but only from a bragging rights perspective.

Funny, because I was thinking of a Sentinel article from a couple of years ago when Wizarding World was first announced that had the $300 million figure. I did a Google search and found several sources that reference a $300 million budget but I have too much dignity to rely on Jim Hill as my publicly verifiable source of this information. ;)

Wizarding World speaks for itself and it speaks for a hell of a lot more than $200 million. I'm not even sure the ride itself came in at under $200 million. The ride vehicles themselves were easily north of a million each and they have nearly 40 of them. The building materials, landscaping, ride hardware, costumes, lighting, everything was built with first class custom made materials. This is a departure for Universal, which has been notorious for using cheap vendors to get the job done (ROCKIT!!!!!). Everyone seems to think that the average E-ticket ride costs $100 million. That's incorrect. That's how much an E-ticket ride cost to build 15 years ago. Inflation has greatly increased the amount of capital needed to get a ride up and running.

Lastly, just because Disney blows more money on attractions doesn't necessarily mean they turn out better. On paper Expedition Everest's budget dwarfed Revenge of the Mummy's, yet pound for pound E:E's experience isn't nearly as immersive, nor is the story even remotely as well executed, as ROTM.

Who knows. I think they really expect the Fantasyland redo to recapture any market share they might lose with Potter. Even if it doesn't you're looking at 1-2 years before they even green light their next big project.

However, Cars Land at DCA does compare very favorably to WWOHP, both in budget and scope. That more than anything else will be Disney's response to Potter, but only from a bragging rights perspective.
How realistic are the animatronics in the FJ and do you think they add a good intense scare factor?

pheneix

How realistic are the animatronics in the FJ and do you think they add a good intense scare factor?

Some are done better than others. I thought the spiders were pretty similar to what pops out in Its Tough To Be a Bug. The dragon and the Whomping Willow were exceptional.

misterID

Top? How so? Quality of daily experience? They've had WDW beat for years, likely decades now in that department.

But why should WDW care? Tokyo may as well be on another planet ...

TDL/DisneySea will eventually be the number one visited theme park in the world, a spot WDW has right now.

I'm going to be frank here, that's a load of crap. Disneyland is smaller, yes, but that doesn't mean things are going to look better. Things look better because they actually spend more money than WDW. If WDW put the same amount of money into an attraction that DL does, well it would look fantastic.

Yeah, agree. I didn't understand WDW is getting the same love as DL post, either. Not even close.

WDW1974

Using the Sentinel as a source for numbers isn't always wise because they notoriously come in on the low end (be it Disney or UNI or anyone) and projects always go way over budget (the numbers on attractions like TT and MS at EPCOT were much higher than the numbers reported).

The only thing the experiences being stated here prove to me is what I felt was the case from the start ... UNI is really trying ... and Disney is really trying to put one over on its guests/fans.

It isn't that Disney isn't capable of cutting edge, immersive attractions ... it's just they have no intention of building them in Orlando. They'd rather give their fanbois the white glove treatment and hope they get lathered up over a 1972 parade, a Star Tours redo that is about a dozen years late and counting and nicer looking meet and greets.

I'm also soooo beyond tired of hearing about plans that Disney has. They always have plans. But except in places like Tokyo, Paris, Anaheim ... and soon, Hong Kong and Shanghai, those plans just wind up in coffee table books and on lithos.
I guess ToT was the last time the reality either equaled or surpassed the artwork/plans.

Absolutely nothing major is about to get announced/built in Orlando by The Mouse. And unless Potter has an immediate and shocking affect on Disney's bottom-line, which I don't see happening, nothing will.

They'll just keep playing on their fans nostalgia, history, good will and, in many cases, mental fixation on magic and pixie dust, instead of giving everyone new and quality reasons to visit.

But hey, Marvel crap can now be bought in the MK ... and vinylmation is waaaay kewl!

dxwwf3

I just listened to the Dis Unplugged show on WWOHP and the host said he couldn't fit on FJ because he was too big. Then he said he was 5'10" 230 lbs. If Universal has built their biggest ride in the history of their parks and someone that is 5'10" 230 can't ride it, they have failed miserably. You've got to be kidding me. They also mentioned that they thought the height limit was 6'3", which is my height. I'm a tall person, but nowhere near tall enough to where I should have to worry about my height when going to a theme park.

To those that have been on FJ, would you say that the seating area is smaller than what you would find on Hulk and Dragon Challenge? I have ridden those ride in excess of 100 times, but I think the seats are a bit narrow and I don't have a ton of room to spare with the over the shoulder restraint. I can usually fix it myself, but occasionally the team member has had to push down a small bit to get the buckle fixed, but that is probably due to slouching in the seat to get comfortable. Do you think I am probably a no go for FJ?

Computer Magic

and you wonder why we all keep getting crap from people who ask us all..."You're going to Disney again? Isn't that a kiddy place?" For a long time, I could easily say no...but if this philosophy continues, saying no, I believe, may get harder and harder as time continues.

I'm just sickened by this thought process....it makes me sad.
Well stated. In the mid 90's it was easy to defend that Disney more than a kiddie place. Commericals use to show newly weds spending their honeymoon at Disney. Today all commericals show kids. You had PI that had New Years every night with fireworks. You had new thrill rides that adults could enjoy.

Over the last 5 years, I'm starting to feel like Disney is a kiddie place. Other than the people here that understand, I don't talk much about Disney as vacation. It all started with the princesses and then their Meet and Greets locations. I think I'm starting to get squeezed out and this FL might be the last dagger.

WDW1974

TDL/DisneySea will eventually be the number one visited theme park in the world, a spot WDW has right now.

TDS will never be the No. 1 theme park in the world. It won't. It has its own issues and it's never going to outpace TDL.

TDL likely has had years when it had more guests than MK, but Disney will never allow a park other than MK to be No. 1 ... no matter what.

Realize if you torture numbers enough they will say anything.:rolleyes:

Anyone who sees the waits and crowds that TDL regularly has, hell even the ones DL regularly has would be very wary of believing MK is no. 1, but since Disney never releases numbers 'officially' (and they never dispute the 'unofficials' either), their arses are covered either way.

TDL often has regular days when multiple attractions (even with FP) see standby waits of 3-4 hours. When do you see that in O-Town? Ever? Maybe 12/25 and 12/31?

Yeah, agree. I didn't understand WDW is getting the same love as DL post, either. Not even close.

Sometimes WDW CMs like to believe their resort is run with a plan by good people who know what they're doing. That and a healthy dose of pixie dust helps one get through a day, I guess.

pheneix

just listened to the Dis Unplugged show on WWOHP and the host said he couldn't fit on FJ because he was too big. Then he said he was 5'10" 230 lbs. If Universal has built their biggest ride in the history of their parks and someone that is 5'10" 230 can't ride it, they have failed miserably.

If he was not able to ride then he is lying about his body size. I'm 5'11" 215-ish and fit comfortably in the ride vehicle. Someone who weighs 230 at the same height range will also have no trouble fitting on FJ.

That being said, there is a fairly strict weight/height limit for FJ, one that I feel may be too restrictive given that Orlando's tourist demographics tend to be "larger" than average if you know what I mean. You're probably in the upper range of what can fit in those ride vehicles but I think you'll be fine. The ride restrictions seem to be a little more strict than Dragons or Hulk but not by much. Height has been a bigger problem than weight.

Universal is rumored to be fitting out an RV to handle larger guests. This is a known issue and they are working to find some way to rectify it.

dxwwf3

If he was not able to ride then he is lying about his body size. I'm 5'11" 215-ish and fit comfortably in the ride vehicle. Someone who weighs 230 at the same height range will also have no trouble fitting on FJ.

That being said, there is a fairly strict weight/height limit for FJ, one that I feel may be too restrictive given that Orlando's tourist demographics tend to be "larger" than average if you know what I mean. You're probably in the upper range of what can fit in those ride vehicles but I think you'll be fine. The ride restrictions seem to be a little more strict than Dragons or Hulk but not by much. Height has been a bigger problem than weight.

Universal is rumored to be fitting out an RV to handle larger guests. This is a known issue and they are working to find some way to rectify it.

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully you're right and I'll be ok to ride. Luckily I will have spent a week at WDW before going to UO and I ALWAYS lose at least 5 pounds on a WDW trip no matter what I eat. Plus I've got a month to try and shed a few more lbs, so I should be able to walk into IOA at 6'3" 230-ish.

What exactly do you mean by ride restrictions are more strict for FJ than Hulk/Dragons? Do you mean they are looking for those that won't fit more strictly or that the seating areas are smaller? If the seats are a decent amount more narrow than the coaster seats, it won't matter if I weigh 100 lbs, I won't be able to ride.

pheneix

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully you're right and I'll be ok to ride. Luckily I will have spent a week at WDW before going to UO and I ALWAYS lose at least 5 pounds on a WDW trip no matter what I eat. Plus I've got a month to try and shed a few more lbs, so I should be able to walk into IOA at 6'3" 230-ish.

What exactly do you mean by ride restrictions are more strict for FJ than Hulk/Dragons? Do you mean they are looking for those that won't fit more strictly or that the seating areas are smaller? If the seats are a decent amount more narrow than the coaster seats, it won't matter if I weigh 100 lbs, I won't be able to ride.

The height/weight limits are slightly more restrictive than the coasters. They may be slightly more narrow than the standard B&M bucket seat. I didn't find it any worse than the typical airline seat.

dxwwf3

The height/weight limits are slightly more restrictive than the coasters. They may be slightly more narrow than the standard B&M bucket seat but not by much. I didn't find it any worse than the typical airline seat.

Well I guess I'll be ok on that front then, even though in my experience there is a lot more room in airline seats than the Universal coasters :lol:

Piebald

The height/weight limits are slightly more restrictive than the coasters. They may be slightly more narrow than the standard B&M bucket seat. I didn't find it any worse than the typical airline seat.

Heh, I wonder if my friend who is 6'11 285 can get on..

crazydaveh

Phoenix... You need a beer. I am just glad we have something new in town and they brought back my favorite bar at IOA. Yes, they use the generic Anheuser Busch InBev "Red" beer as the Potter brew, but they still have other things!

As for the ride... I'm not expecting squat from it because I've never seen a Potter movie or glanced at a book. Just not my gig. I'll go to the park soon and check it out, but if it's built to where you have to know storylines, it's a fail in my book.

As for how much they spent... Who cares. Is anyone besides Jim Hill losing sleep over it?

Oh, one thing they didn't do, paint ICE Dragon black. Uni trying to create a story about a blue dragon. WOW. Awesome. Give me back my Dragons!

on that note, Cheers... Sam Adams is calling my name.

khelinski

Disney has been in debt for sometime now (layoffs, anyone?), so I doubt the mouse will hit Universal with anything MAJOR. The Fantasyland expansion is a nice touch, if they actually delver. Star Tours Redux is also a nice plus. I think though, if Disney had the cash and wanted to hurt Universal for good - they add another theme park to the mix (instead of another f'n hotel!)

On the other hand, the Harry Potter buzz Universal is getting is really, all they have. Ignore the paint chipping off the walls through the queue lines through out Islands. And I recall reading sometime ago that Universal Florida won't be able to do much beyond Harry Potter since they already shelled out a lot for Simpsons, the coaster, and Potter (not to mention the dent in their wallet over the whole Spielberg ordeal). Be cool if they could add Transformers/King Kong from Hollywood, into the mix (though, that would mean they would take out old attractions - please leave JAWS/ET alone - keep at least two originals in the park).

Anyhow, both parks are perfectly flawed in their own ways - and yet, I find myself loving both. And what I find somewhat ironic - most of your die hard Disney fans that swear they will never go to a Universal park, are Harry Potter fans. And since Disney took away Pleasure Island, some of the CPs that also have never been to Universal will find themselves discovering City Walk.

I laugh because there has been a war between Universal/Disney since the late 80s, and even long before that when Universal originally fired Walt (and then Walt turning around and creating his own 'kingdom'). It's 2010 and the rift is still there. :lol:

I think the Harry Potter buzz is great. It will bring people back to the parks (and by the way, Universal is excellent when it comes to annual passes (such as the flexpay, which is what I did when I lived down there).

And it will maybe push Disney to that next level. But I still have a somewhat hard time grasping the fact that it took UNIVERSAL to use something from WARNER BROS to compete with DISNEY. Hmmm....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom