News Happy 50th Birthday to Walt Disney World!

TP2000

Original Poster
For example: I don’t need to see the Big Thunder goat with a head of Broccoli in its mouth to remind children of the benefits of eating nutritional foods and to avoid the dangers of playing with fireworks. Kitetails is harmless, humorous fun!

One of the things that genuinely fascinates me, and also makes it so much fun, is that all of the prep and stagecraft for this show takes place "onstage". They crash the balloons and dismember them during the show in very visible locations, often right next to the seated audience. No magic, no mystery, no showmanship. Just... rapid-response deflation. :eek:

They've apparently got two different versions of this show they can do: The Non-Inclusive Jungle Book Version and the Inclusive Lion King Version. Here's different video of the Inclusive Lion King show...

At the 4:30 mark of the video linked below they bring Simba's segment quickly to an end by cutting the strings to his jetski and nosediving him into the bleachers, literally 20 yards from the seated audience. While that rapid-response team of CM's in blue shirts goes running to begin his onstage deflation. If I were in that audience I'd just watch that hilarious show instead of focusing on the very perky young lady trying hard to distract us with butterflies.

Simba.png

In the video all the kids are pointing at the deflation and the parents are laughing about it. It's just so jarring and odd that they do this right there in the bleachers during the show.

Simba2.png

The show ends, and now its Mufasa's turn to be forced into a crash landing into the bleachers too. The jetski guys wave, the audience waves, and Mufasa gets pulled violently into the bleachers by the rapid-response team to have the air stomped out of him while the audience departs. Thanks for joining us for KiteTails, and enjoy your day here at Disney's Animal Kingdom!

Mufasa.png

This has to be one of the weirdest things I've seen a Disney theme park do in a long time. There was no other option for this deflation process? They couldn't land the balloons backstage somewhere? Or just prop them up in the bleachers as if they were watching the show too? They have to stomp out the air and roll up the performers in the show right then, in front of everyone? There's got to be a better way than this.

DrAlice

We all may soar in our own way, but eventually our time on the planet comes to an end and we either crash into the bleachers or faceplant into the lagoon.
🤣🤣 I literally almost spit my drink on my keyboard. Good thing I'm young enough to still have some good muscle control.

So I just watched this video and... I don't get it. What is this supposed to be? What did I just watch? If I had sat out in the sun to wait for this, I would've been annoyed.

Those Finding Nemo puppets worked well in the stage show (I think I may be the only person that enjoyed that show), but their scale is way too small for an open air environment like this. Maybe they would work in a parade. Actually, all of this feels like it would work better as a spontaneous water cavalcade or parade than a "sit down and watch a show" kind of thing. To open this up with "Disney's magic of story telling" BS is ridiculous. What storytelling? You dragged Baloo around for awhile and then crashed him into the bleachers.

DrAlice

One of the things that genuinely fascinates me, and also makes it so much fun, is that all of the prep and stagecraft for this show takes place "onstage". They crash the balloons and dismember them during the show in very visible locations, often right next to the seated audience. No magic, no mystery, no showmanship. Just... rapid-response deflation. :eek:

They've apparently got two different versions of this show they can do: The Non-Inclusive Jungle Book Version and the Inclusive Lion King Version. Here's different video of the Inclusive Lion King show...

At the 4:30 mark of the video linked below they bring Simba's segment quickly to an end by cutting the strings to his jetski and nosediving him into the bleachers, literally 20 yards from the seated audience. While that rapid-response team of CM's in blue shirts goes running to begin his onstage deflation. If I were in that audience I'd just watch that hilarious show instead of focusing on the very perky young lady trying hard to distract us with butterflies.

View attachment 590896

In the video all the kids are pointing at the deflation and the parents are laughing about it. It's just so jarring and odd that they do this right there in the bleachers during the show.

View attachment 590897

The show ends, and now its Mufasa's turn to be forced into a crash landing into the bleachers too. The jetski guys wave, the audience waves, and Mufasa gets pulled violently into the bleachers by the rapid-response team to have the air stomped out of him while the audience departs. Thanks for joining us for KiteTails, and enjoy your day here at Disney's Animal Kingdom!

View attachment 590898

This has to be one of the weirdest things I've seen a Disney theme park do in a long time. There was no other option for this deflation process? They couldn't land the balloons backstage somewhere? Or just prop them up in the bleachers as if they were watching the show too? They have to stomp out the air and roll up the performers in the show right then, in front of everyone? There's got to be a better way than this.

So that is ACTUALLY SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN?!?!?!?!?! 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Oh. My. God. I'm with @raven24. I can't stop laughing. Here I thought that was just an unfortunate incident. Nope. Somebody sat in a room at Disney and asked, "What will we do with the balloons when they are done "performing"?" And the answer was, "we'll just crash them into the bleachers". And apparently management said, "Ok cool. Sounds legit."

Really? REALLY??? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

TP2000

Original Poster
🤣🤣 I literally almost spit my drink on my keyboard. Good thing I'm young enough to still have some good muscle control.

I'm glad you have that control too!

But that control will fade as your journey progresses, as eventually we all lose control and faceplant into the bleachers. It's the Circle of Life, and part of the beautiful message of this show. :cool:

So I just watched this video and... I don't get it. What is this supposed to be? What did I just watch? If I had sat out in the sun to wait for this, I would've been annoyed.

There has to be a story here. Somewhere the concept behind this show went off the rails as it was being developed. That may also explain the "To heck with it" artistic decision to just crash and deflate the stars of the show into the bleacers right in front of the audience.

There just has to be a story there somewhere as to why this ended up like this.

Those Finding Nemo puppets worked well in the stage show (I think I may be the only person that enjoyed that show), but their scale is way too small for an open air environment like this. Maybe they would work in a parade. Actually, all of this feels like it would work better as a spontaneous water cavalcade or parade than a "sit down and watch a show" kind of thing. To open this up with "Disney's magic of story telling" BS is ridiculous. What storytelling? You dragged Baloo around for awhile and then crashed him into the bleachers.

The recorded intro they give these shows are getting more and more contrived and eye-rolling.

Don't tell me via the PA system that I'm about to be "immersed in a beautiful chapter of Disney storytelling", just immerse me in a beautiful story and let me realize how good it is on my own.

That said, there are some genuinely artful and fun little elements of this show. And jetskis are always cool. It just needs to be a pop-up show, or a random thing they do over the water as part of the hottest and most annoying parts of the afternoon in a crowded theme park.

They tried too hard with what little they had here. And then they crash your favorite characters into the bleachers and stomp all the air out of them. I love that part! 🤣

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster

Oh. My. God. I'm with @raven24. I can't stop laughing. Here I thought that was just an unfortunate incident. Nope. Somebody sat in a room at Disney and asked, "What will we do with the balloons when they are done "performing"?" And the answer was, "we'll just crash them into the bleachers". And apparently management said, "Ok cool. Sounds legit."

Really? REALLY??? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yup. This is all on purpose. Baloo ending up in the tree by the snack bar the other day was a mistake.

But the rest of this is all on purpose. Three showtimes per day. You are immersed!

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member

Really? REALLY??? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

It's like they don't know what a retractable reel or wench is... and how that would have drastically improved things. The only thing that would really make this show engaging and fun is audience participation. But that would require a complete rewrite of the show.

I do have a question though: What makes a kite being flown by a jetski compelling or entertaining anyway?

DrAlice

Don't tell me via the PA system that I'm about to be "immersed in a beautiful chapter of Disney storytelling", just immerse me in a beautiful story and let me realize how good it is on my own.
Yes. This is very Six Flags. It's why I don't attend their shows. As the kids' say, it's cringe.

At this point I HOPE you are right that the show was cut down to this craziness, but I'm starting to suspect that anyone that knew anything (or cares) about Disney storytelling is long gone from the organization.

My heart really goes out to the performers for this one. They deserve better than this.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

I view Kite Tails as a metaphor for the future of TWDC. It’s frankly one of the most brilliant shows Disney has put on in some times for its self-awareness. As @TP2000 describes it, it is both a comedy and a tragedy to behold and really a perfect benchmark as we turn a new chapter to usher in a new era of “immersive storytelling” that only the modern WDI can provide.

There’s not one aspect of the 50th that I would genuinely want to see more.

TP2000

Original Poster
Yes. This is very Six Flags. It's why I don't attend their shows. As the kids' say, it's cringe.

At this point I HOPE you are right that the show was cut down to this craziness, but I'm starting to suspect that anyone that knew anything (or cares) about Disney storytelling is long gone from the organization.

Maybe you could blame Covid, even though WDW was only closed for six weeks instead of 15 months like Disneyland? Maybe they cancelled the show originally in a Covid panic, but then put it back on in a rush earlier this year? There's just got to be a story there on this one.

My heart really goes out to the performers for this one. They deserve better than this.

True. But to be honest, the performers seem to know this is a tragic mess and they're having fun with it. I saw some genuine laughter amongst the CM's on the videos I watched. I mean really, what else can you do but laugh and just go along with it?

And if I was decades younger, I'd want to be on that rapid-response deflation team in the bleachers! That's got to be a hilarious job. 😁

From today's show, Baloo knows what grisly fate awaits him in the bleachers and tried to get away...

FAyQ_4CWEAICiIp

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Really? REALLY??? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
I was in my bed last night with tears streaming down my face. Then this morning I realized that the crash landings were done on purpose and I let out a loud scream and started laughing again, uncontrollably.

TP2000

Original Poster
I was in my bed last night with tears streaming down my face. Then this morning I realized that the crash landings were done on purpose and I let out a loud scream and started laughing again, uncontrollably.

This all had to dawn on me too. And I think everyone.

Those first two days of "sneak previews" the balloons were crashing everywhere and Twitter assumed it was a string of accidents. But then after several days of multiple shows per day, and seeing there's a dedicated rapid-response deflation team of CM's in blue shirts poised to strike in the bleachers, it's now obvious this is pretty much how the show is designed to be performed. On purpose.

Your favorite Disney characters soar delightfully overhead, and then the jetski guys cut their cords and crash them into the bleachers so they can have the air stomped out of them in front of your children.

Perhaps the best Disney show concept of all time! 😍

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

This all had to dawn on me too. And I think everyone.

Those first two days of "sneak previews" the balloons were crashing everywhere and Twitter assumed it was a string of accidents. But then after several days of multiple shows per day, and seeing there's a dedicated rapid-response deflation team of CM's in blue shirts poised to strike in the bleachers, it's now obvious this is pretty much how the show is designed to be performed. On purpose.

Your favorite Disney characters soar delightfully overhead, and then the jetski guys cut their cords and crash them into the bleachers so they can have the air stomped out of them in front of your children.

Perhaps the best Disney show concept of all time! 😍
The jet skis are the best part of the show, besides the kites taking nosedives into the water and the stadium. The jet skis are EXTRA AF for this show, making them all the more ridiculous.
Seriously, I think my husband thinks I've lost my mind.

He's not wrong..... 🤣 🤣
I showed my sister and she giggled a little bit, but that was it lol.

TP2000

Original Poster
Maybe they could bring the show to DCA and do it in the lake. ;)

What's interesting is that over the last few decades Disneyland's entertainment team has already made many of these same mistakes that KiteTails has. This is yet more proof that Disney's American parks never actually talk to each other.
  • Jetskis were added to Disneyland's Fantasmic! in 2009 to drag inflatable eels around during the Ursula scene, and kept crashing and flipping and generally failing. The jetskis were removed within weeks and never seen again.

• The giant Ursula balloon herself in Fantasmic! was a pain in the neck for years, and eventually had to be removed and replaced with a screen projection.

• How many times did they try doing shows in DCA's early failing years in that lagoon ampthitheater? And every time, the audience would hate it because they were sitting out in the hot sun without any shade. Now make that three times worse in Orlando's more brutal climate.

• Light Magic in 1997 was failure on many levels, but most notably from a crowd logistics and "onstage/offstage" perspective. At one point in the summer of 1997, they had to drag the giant floats down through the middle of Disneyland in late afternoon to stage them for a Main Street step off, after the original Small World step off location was causing crowd control near-riots to break out every night. So every afternoon just before the second Hercules parade started, these giant ugly floats never designed to be seen in daylight would roll down the parade route while CM's bellowed to get out of the way and the Voice of Disneyland explained to the crowds waiting for the Herculese Victory Parade "The large rolling stages you see before you will be used in this evening's performance of Light Magic. We thank you for your cooperation." :oops:

This KiteTails show seems to take many of the mistakes Disneyland has already made, and roll them into one concept. But even then, the sight of Disney characters crashing into the bleachers to be stomped out by rapid-response CM's is something entirely new. 🤣

I'd buy the first round of drinks to hear the story behind how that all got approved, wouldn't you?!

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
TP2000 Pro Travel Tip:

For the best view of the magic of KiteTails, get a seat in the bleachers on the right. ;)

Here's a show from yesterday. Pumbaa's cords have been cut by its jetski and he's coming in for a crash landing, while the deflated carcass of Simba lies below. The bodies are piling up at KiteTails!

warthog.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom