Halloween Horror Nights 2023

maxairmike

I'm not going to give any kind of definitive rankings after one run through each of 7 out of 10 houses, but I will say that one house really surprised me, and that was Chucky. I was laughing and loving it from the moment I stepped in and was greeted by an actual animatronic Chucky. Personally really enjoyed this, and I was readily expecting this to end up being at the bottom of my list.

7. Dueling Dragons - HUGE letdown for me. I think they should have gone very meta for this. Like, make it look like you're back in the actual old queue. People would love it. Instead, it just comes off like a generic medieval theme. You don't actually see either dragon, just people transforming into a dragon and a statue I think?

The facade is Merlinwood, and there are several clear callbacks if not near exact moments from the queue (the busted door, the dragon(s) finally got through), the spell book, the Choose Thy Fate room, and more that I'm not recalling off the top of my head. I'm not sure what more they could have done short of exactly replicating it, which wouldn't have facilitated a great house. This was my favorite house last night.

My least favorite was Darkest Deal, but just like with Blood Moon, I'm willing to give this one some more shots to wow me. Blood Moon had a few good set moments, but I wouldn't put it on a Dead Man's Pier/Dead Waters/Gothic level. The house seemed a little too sparse on scares for my run-through last night, but I know that can often just be unlucky timing with cast changes.

Last of Us was a very good zombie house. I've never played the game, and only have watched two episodes of the show, so I was going in completely blind and no expectations. Oddfellow's was a fun house, with at least one little easter egg that I noticed, and another potential one that I need a second look at. Yeti is fun, and of course I love to see HHN Bear in there. The scare zones are largely just there, but Vamp '69 really won me over when Sweet Caroline came on. I didn't know I needed that in a scare zone, but it is perfect and wonderful. Still need to do Stranger Things, Exorcist, and Monsters.

EDIT: Also, not sure if it was just my run-through of Dragons, but I found it amusing that everyone around me chose Fire and not Ice, because that's what it felt like always happened at the coaster, most people chose Fire.

JT3000

I have a few drinks in me (I recommend the Feliz Muerte) and haven't done this in a while, so here's my entirely premature house reviews/rankings, because why not? So far this feels like a definite off-year to me, at least compared to the 3 consecutive (not counting 2020) very strong years we just had where houses are concerned, so if this post comes across as being distinctly negative in tone, that would be why. Also the alcohol. Either way I take no responsibility, either for my own actions or your reactions, nor do I promise you'll like my bad jokes. While the houses themselves can't really improve much over time, hopefully the scareactors do, because... uhh... Yeah, let's just leave it at that for now.

No, seriously, I know it's opening weekend but who is training them these days?

Note: I will not be ranking The Darkest Deal, as it stayed true to its name and I couldn't see a damn thing with it being the first house of the night day. I'm surprised I'm not still trying to find my way out of there as I write this.

1. Blood Moon -- Nice theming, and one of the few houses so far this year where the scares didn't completely underwhelm. Setting is detailed and gets surprisingly interesting in intervals, but could've used some more pizzazz at times, just a bit too samey to be on par with some previous house of the year candidates, and I'm slightly disappointed that it didn't continue to get even more over-the-top, but other than that it's a satisfying enough effort that covers ground we haven't seen in a while.

2. Yeti Goes to Camp -- Could've used more characters who weren't yetis, and better character placement in general tbh, but still perfectly serviceable for what it is. Campy, in more ways than one. I like it. Not much else to say.

3. Oddfellow's Twisted Origins -- Dark. Macabre. Appropriately creepy. The more intimate & claustrophobic house of the year, with some of the more effective scares. Main reason I don't have it ranked any higher is due to the lack of big, memorable setpieces. What can I say, I'm a theming geek. Definitely visit this one after the sun sets; it makes all the difference for the facade.

[spoilers ahead]

Say what you will about keeping the spotlight on Oddfellow, but given how closely the two characters are intertwined, it feels more than a little awkward to finally be visiting the actual circus that Jack worked at, which has been entrenched in HHN lore for decades, with nary a single in-the-flesh appearance of said clown, like an important piece of the puzzle is missing. There are certain things they could have done that would've made for interesting fan service without making the house too Jack-centric, such as letting him cameo in a more human but still recognizable form that we aren't used to seeing, or at the very least, showing his body stuffed into a jack-in-the-box, which would be one of the more striking scenes to portray from his backstory. Instead all we get is his costume on a wardrobe rack and a poorly executed shadow effect. Ehh...

4. Dueling Dragons Dudes -- My most anticipated house by far, it didn't meet my expectations, but wasn't the biggest of letdowns I've ever had. It still has some of the more memorable setpieces and is largely riding off the strength of them. Main problem here is the repetitive costuming; feels like 80% of the house's characters are the (decidedly goofy-looking) deuling wizards, which would have been a more apt name for this house, as there were barely any dragons (but there are technically dragons, even if they might as well be statues. Speaking of which... where's the entrance statues!?) And while I appreciate the effort to recreate certain characteristics of the ride's queue -- and even the long lost Enchanted Oak Tavern -- I feel the result is lacking in creepy atmospherics compared to the actual queue and feels more like a fancy production bereft of genuine creep factor, as HHN houses too often do. Seems like a weird thing to say about a haunted house, but it's true. This is more of an exercise in profiting off nostalgia than a proper attempt to accurately recreate what made the DD queue such an effective horror setting, the latter of which could have been one of the best houses in HHN history. Definitely could've used some narrow, winding caves with bones arranged in morbid fashion, something that was conspicuously missing. Also missing were guests who realized YOU CAN CHOOSE THY FATE. Seriously, there's two paths. Take both of them. You're not riding anything, it's just a short hallway. This isn't the time to get picky or play follow-the-leader.

5. Monsters Unmasked -- Being dead middle-of-the-pack, I struggled a bit with where to rank this one. It definitely has some good things going for it but overall is a noticeable downgrade from previous houses in this series. The set design, while very impressive in certain places, is a bit repetitive and lacking oomph to a large degree. The scares are adequate as of now but definitely not on par with the end product of Legends Collide. Maybe it will grow on me like that one did.

6. The Last of Us -- I suppose this house does what it's supposed to do, but I didn't find myself overjoyed with it like I wanted to be. It portrays the game accurately enough, but it kinda feels like it never goes anywhere, if you know what I mean. It abruptly ends in the same gear that it started in. It seems more concerned with being theatrical than actually scaring you, at least for the time being. I thought we were done with those sorts of houses. Guess not. I also would've preferred a wider range of memorable settings from the story. But yeah, it's fine I suppose.

7. The Exorcist: Believer -- Oh hey, finally an IP house where literally everyone has to share my pain of not being familiar with the source material. Awesome. As far as houses like this go, it's decent, and it does its intended job of making me want to see the movie at least a wee bit more than that dreadful trailer did, but the house unfortunately felt very short to me, which is the main reason I'm ranking it this low. Makes me wonder if they couldn't find more suitable content within the film to adapt, or if they wanted to avoid the "It's too repetitive" remarks made about the previous Exorcist outing, or... they just ran out of space? 🤷‍♂️

It's too bad the TLOU house isn't based on the show; they could've used these Exorcist forehead prosthetics for Ellie. They're all dead ringers. Yes, I'm a terrible person and I'm going to Hell.

8. Stranger Things -- So yeah, this is a thing that exists. I honestly don't know what else to say about it, as I'm not a Stranger Things person and never will be. Couldn't possibly have less idea what I'm looking at, but I guess I didn't hate it, even if this fever dream did make me wonder if I had inhaled too much second-hand weed while waiting in line. Some pretty questionable use of the space in here though. Someone really likes projecting backdrops onto giant curtains. No, it's fine. You do you. Is it better than the two previous Stranger Things efforts? Yeah, pobably, but that's really not saying much. I suppose as long as it brings warm bodies with loaded wallets to the park without being so bad that it literally p***es me off, it's serving some sort of purpose. And on that note...

9. NAPA Auto Parts -- What in the actual flaming pile of... WHAT IS THIS? WHAT DID I JUST EXPERIENCE? NAH, THAT'S IT! NO MORE CHUCKY, UNIVERSAL! WE ARE DONE HERE. CHUCKY IS OFFICIALLY OVER. YOU HAVE ENDED CHUCKY WITH THIS RUINOUS FIASCO. THIS HAS NO REDEEMING QUALITIES. THIS ISN'T JUST A DUD, IT'S GOING ON MY LIST OF THE WORST HOUSES EVER IN THE HISTORY OF ANYTHING!!!

636863987fb68eda5e8a5202557bc66f--meditation-practices-mindfulness-meditation.jpg

I'll eventually be back to comment on the scarezones & show. Maybe. To be honest, I barely even noticed I was in a scarezone half the time.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

The two dragons are just before you pick a side, above you. They spit out smoke. Basically mini versions of the one in Diagon Alley.
I saw those. I think we should have seen animatronic or puppet giant dragon heads in a window roaring at us at least.

The facade is Merlinwood, and there are several clear callbacks if not near exact moments from the queue (the busted door, the dragon(s) finally got through), the spell book, the Choose Thy Fate room, and more that I'm not recalling off the top of my head. I'm not sure what more they could have done short of exactly replicating it, which wouldn't have facilitated a great house. This was my favorite house last night.
I noticed the Enchanted Oak Tavern facade but not the rest. I'll definitely need another run through.
4. Dueling Dragons Dudes -- My most anticipated house by far, it didn't meet my expectations, but wasn't the biggest of letdowns I've ever had. It still has some of the more memorable setpieces and is largely riding off the strength of them. Main problem here is the repetitive costuming; feels like 80% of the house's characters are the (decidedly goofy-looking) deuling wizards, which would have been a more apt name for this house, as there were barely any dragons (but there are technically dragons, even if they might as well be statues. Speaking of which... where's the entrance statues!?) And while I appreciate the effort to recreate certain characteristics of the ride's queue -- and even the long lost Enchanted Oak Tavern -- I feel the result is lacking in creepy atmospherics compared to the actual queue and feels more like a fancy production bereft of genuine creep factor, as HHN houses too often do. Seems like a weird thing to say about a haunted house, but it's true. This is more of an exercise in profiting off nostalgia than a proper attempt to accurately recreate what made the DD queue such an effective horror setting, the latter of which could have been one of the best houses in HHN history. Definitely could've used some narrow, winding caves with bones arranged in morbid fashion, something that was conspicuously missing. Also missing were guests who realized YOU CAN CHOOSE THY FATE. Seriously, there's two paths. Take both of them. You're not riding anything, it's just a short hallway. This isn't the time to get picky or play follow-the-leader.
The fact that the original queue was creepier than this house was is a perfect example of why I wish they would experiment with different approaches to houses. The house design has evolved beyond the need for a scareactor jump scare every 5 feet.

It's too bad the TLOU house isn't based on the show; they could've used these Exorcist forehead prosthetics for Ellie. They're all dead ringers. Yes, I'm a terrible person and I'm going to Hell.
😦

celluloid

Anybody catch the M3GAN dance crew?

They are great. There are videos of them circling out there.

The event has two major issues this year for me.

No other show. We lost a huge people eater/diversion/entertainment option with no nighttime show. The event is at the point where it needs a second spectacular show to run a few times a night or another sit down relief show.

Second being logistics of street to food/beverage options. They fixed this a few years ago a bit and it seems to be going that way again. Taking away the Coke Freestyle small building by MIB was a bad move. It is only for RIP parties as of now.
I need to not drink soda much anymore but I am often with friends who do and I see the machines are so often lacking ice and options by 9pm. They are hard to restock and clearly there is a large volume. but Uni needs to work on that. There are many Freestyle locations that are either difficult to get too or completely unavalible anymore such as this one and Mels.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

They've used bits of Phantom of the Opera in houses over the years, but my dream is that in 2025 for the 100th anniversary of the silent classic they'll do a Dead Man's Pier quality house adaptation of it with the masked ball, the graveyard, a falling chandelier etc.

Animaniac93-98

Stranger Things house looks a lot better in Hollywood. Consensus seems to be people prefer the Hollywood houses more overall, except Monsters which looks cheap in comparison (though I prefer the Phantom stuff being more book accurate).

JT3000

Stranger Things house looks a lot better in Hollywood. Consensus seems to be people prefer the Hollywood houses more overall, except Monsters which looks cheap in comparison (though I prefer the Phantom stuff being more book accurate).
Most of their houses look cheap honestly. Just compare their opening scene for Exorcist to ours. Yikes. Stranger Things looks okay but pretty similar overall. The only one that makes me feel like we really got hosed is Chucky. Looks like there's an animatronic in practically every scene. Seriously, what the hell happened with ours? The design team must've REALLY not wanted that IP, because they gave it the bare minimum.

Tom Morrow

From everyone I've talked to that's been to both, they say that the Orlando houses are typically better, more detailed, and more intense. You'd think being right in Hollywood would yield the best set design and special effects, but Orlando manages to be better.

JT3000

From everyone I've talked to that's been to both, they say that the Orlando houses are typically better, more detailed, and more intense. You'd think being right in Hollywood would yield the best set design and special effects, but Orlando manages to be better.
John Murdy every year:
hkyUh5a.jpg

Meanwhile, Orlando has the budget but doesn't always know how best to use it.

And then there's Universal's wonderful marketing team:
we-do-nothing-0636a6d22e.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

Man, anyone who says "Universal's Express does not affect the standby lines, unlike Disney's system" has clearly not experienced HHN in recent years. Because it's absolutely atrocious and it has reached a point where it kills the fun of the event.

MagicHappens1971

Man, anyone who says "Universal's Express does not affect the standby lines, unlike Disney's system" has clearly not experienced HHN in recent years. Because it's absolutely atrocious and it has reached a point where it kills the fun of the event.
You (basically) CAN NOT do HHN without Express. I’m about to do it for the first time ever bc I procrastinated and they’re sold out for the night I’m going, and I’m so nervous.

Tom Morrow

You (basically) CAN NOT do HHN without Express. I’m about to do it for the first time ever bc I procrastinated and they’re sold out for the night I’m going, and I’m so nervous.

But the sh**y thing is that you would not NEED Express if they didn't sell it in the first place. You need to buy the Express to skip the lines that the Express passes are creating. When they are sending ONLY express, that line FLIES. Imagine if it were only one line and it all moved that quickly for every house. Instead, you sit there for 10 minutes in one spot while literally hundreds of Express holders pass by. Then you move five feet. Repeat. It's become absolutely dreadful.

Rob562

I think it really depends on how you approach things. With a proper gameplan and use of Stay & Scream, you can really do a lot without the need for Express. My first real HHN was 2019, and we've gone every year since, apart from 2020. We go in late October, get Frequent Fear passes and attend approx 4 nights in a row. Last year we planned on 4 nights, Wed thru Sat. Since Saturday is typically the busiest day, we treated it as a bonus day and sacrificed Stay & Scream to stay at IOA until closing for some night rides on Hagrid's and Velocicoaster. Then we hopped over to Studios.

In 2022 I took judicious notes on which houses and how many times we went through, though I did not note specific entry times for each, just the order we did them. We did Stay & Scream 3 of 4 nights.

Wednesday Oct 26: 7 houses, though it was our travel day with a 6:45am flight, so despite taking a nap when we first checked in, we ran out of steam and left the park a little after midnight.

Thursday, Oct 27: 10 houses. One house twice (Dead Man's Pier), skipped one house. (Halloween)

Friday, Oct 28: This was hands-down the best night of HHN we'd ever been to. The stars somehow aligned, and we had 17 runs through houses *plus* we saw the Nightmare Fuel show. Some of that was thanks to TM's that allowed us to hop in empty lines at adjacent houses as we were exiting without going all the way out and around (either by us asking or one time they just outright offered as we were walking past), but sometimes it was just short lines allowing us to loop through in rapid succession. (We closed the night out with 7 runs alternating Dead Man's and Chupacabra)
Although I didn't take notes in 2021, I do vaguely remember noticing that the crowds on the Friday we were there were lighter than the previous nights.

Saturday, Oct 29: This was our "bonus" night. We knew it would be crowded, so we were just going to roll with things and take whatever we got. We hopped over from IOA at 8:15, except we only did one house, the Universal Monsters. Crowds were crazier than we'd expected so we bailed and went back to our hotel (Sapphire Falls) for a soak in the hot tub and a rest. We returned to the park at midnight and banged out 5 more houses and some scare zone time.

This year we're only going for 3 nights toward the end of the event, none of them a Saturday. We're *thinking* about getting Express passes for one of those nights. But I'm not sure if we'll do it.

That being said, yes if you only have a single night at HHN, you might want to consider getting Express. But if you can go two, three or even more nights, you may not need it. Just go with a gameplan, and definitely use Stay & Scream to your advantage, even if you do get Express. S&S allows you to get some short waits at the beginning, allowing you to save your Express entry until it needs it. And if going multiple nights, use a different Stay & Scream area each night.

-Rob

MagicHappens1971

I think it really depends on how you approach things. With a proper gameplan and use of Stay & Scream, you can really do a lot without the need for Express. My first real HHN was 2019, and we've gone every year since, apart from 2020. We go in late October, get Frequent Fear passes and attend approx 4 nights in a row. Last year we planned on 4 nights, Wed thru Sat. Since Saturday is typically the busiest day, we treated it as a bonus day and sacrificed Stay & Scream to stay at IOA until closing for some night rides on Hagrid's and Velocicoaster. Then we hopped over to Studios.

In 2022 I took judicious notes on which houses and how many times we went through, though I did not note specific entry times for each, just the order we did them. We did Stay & Scream 3 of 4 nights.

Wednesday Oct 26: 7 houses, though it was our travel day with a 6:45am flight, so despite taking a nap when we first checked in, we ran out of steam and left the park a little after midnight.

Thursday, Oct 27: 10 houses. One house twice (Dead Man's Pier), skipped one house. (Halloween)

Friday, Oct 28: This was hands-down the best night of HHN we'd ever been to. The stars somehow aligned, and we had 17 runs through houses *plus* we saw the Nightmare Fuel show. Some of that was thanks to TM's that allowed us to hop in empty lines at adjacent houses as we were exiting without going all the way out and around (either by us asking or one time they just outright offered as we were walking past), but sometimes it was just short lines allowing us to loop through in rapid succession. (We closed the night out with 7 runs alternating Dead Man's and Chupacabra)
Although I didn't take notes in 2021, I do vaguely remember noticing that the crowds on the Friday we were there were lighter than the previous nights.

Saturday, Oct 29: This was our "bonus" night. We knew it would be crowded, so we were just going to roll with things and take whatever we got. We hopped over from IOA at 8:15, except we only did one house, the Universal Monsters. Crowds were crazier than we'd expected so we bailed and went back to our hotel (Sapphire Falls) for a soak in the hot tub and a rest. We returned to the park at midnight and banged out 5 more houses and some scare zone time.

This year we're only going for 3 nights toward the end of the event, none of them a Saturday. We're *thinking* about getting Express passes for one of those nights. But I'm not sure if we'll do it.

That being said, yes if you only have a single night at HHN, you might want to consider getting Express. But if you can go two, three or even more nights, you may not need it. Just go with a gameplan, and definitely use Stay & Scream to your advantage, even if you do get Express. S&S allows you to get some short waits at the beginning, allowing you to save your Express entry until it needs it. And if going multiple nights, use a different Stay & Scream area each night.

-Rob
Last year I had the ultimate fear pass and went probably over 30 times, I should’ve been more specific, if you’re going more than once and don’t mind waiting in lines, you definitely don’t “need” express. But if you’re just going once and want to do all of the houses and have a chance to eat something, you need express.

Tom Morrow

I know there are ways to do all 10 houses without Express, but typically it does mean that 95% of your night from 6:30 PM to 2:00 AM will be spent in barely moving lines with amazing views of Universal's backstage areas. I suppose if you're in good company it's not a HUGE issue but it does get stressful wondering if you're going to fit enough houses in for the event fee to feel justified as hundreds and hundreds of Express pass holders pass you.

And no offense, but part of the problem is that half of Orlando has decided that they need to spend every night of the event hanging out there. Universal allows it because it prints them money. They've found the perfect balance of an event that is actually a pretty poor experience for many of the people who visit it, but good enough for the obsessed fans to come back over and over.

maxairmike

Express is clearly oversold, but there’s also a fair bit of luck in hitting both standby and Express lines via timing. Personally, I think the best thing they could do is maintain current standalone Express sales levels and remove the option of the RoF/FF passes with Express, and instead do some type of Express purchase offers for them.

macefamily

Amen. We purchased the Express because we only go for one night and we want to get everything in. It's usually a smooth-moving line, but it was alot of standing still this year. My daughter started counting the number of RIP groups escorted through the lines led by their cast member with the glow stick. It definitely affected the Express lines. There was at least 5 groups per attraction that were being led right to the front of the lines. Some of these groups had 10-15 people. Each one paying around $350 ?? Wow. My daughter floated the idea of doing RIP next year, but I can't see paying that much unless dad hits the lottery.

JT3000

Express is clearly oversold, but there’s also a fair bit of luck in hitting both standby and Express lines via timing. Personally, I think the best thing they could do is maintain current standalone Express sales levels and remove the option of the RoF/FF passes with Express, and instead do some type of Express purchase offers for them.
I recognize that Express is broken, but as someone who uses the passes in question, I'm not sure I can agree. Having to buy Express separately would not only be a lot less convenient but also likely even more expensive than it already is, and FFP with Express already costs an arm and a leg.

Of course, if they continue to price gouge at their current rate, they'll be asking for 4 digits in a few years for the standard FFP, and those of us who don't actually go every night will have no choice but to buy Express separately. But if that doesn't relieve the lines, then what?

Last edited:

WDWFREAK53

I recognize that Express is broken, but as someone who uses the passes in question, I'm not sure I can agree. Having to buy Express separately would not only be a lot less convenient but also likely even more expensive than it already is, and FFP with Express already costs an arm and a leg.

Of course, if they continue to price gouge at their current rate, they'll be asking for 4 digits in a few years for the standard FFP, and those of us who don't actually go every night will have no choice but to buy Express separately. But if that doesn't relieve the lines, then what?
Lower the capacity? Add more houses/attractions? Separate the event over two parks with separate admissions?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom