Halloween Horror Nights 2022 (Sep 2 - Oct 31)

Amidala

Any idea why so many pulled out this year?
I've heard the rumor that Netflix wanted two houses next year, thus pulling out of this one. I'm not really sure how that makes business sense, but that's what I've heard.
I've heard Netflix is very particular and made demands that were beyond Universal's budget. Looks like 2/3 of the houses that pulled out were Netflix: Stranger Things, Fear Street and Evil Dead Rise.

At first I was like, "how could they possibly base a house on The Weeknd?" But then I thought about it, and they need to get more experimental with the houses, so I'm looking forward to it.
Honestly, of the IP house teasers released so far, The Weeknd house is the only one that looks genuinely scary to me. There's some pretty disturbing visuals in some of his music videos.

Anyone else surprised there won't be any Chucky content this year? Don Mancini tweeted hinting about it months back, and there was the Chucky photo-op last year. It seemed like a shoe-in to me.

maxairmike

So, what's going on? It's two weeks away... why so few house announcements?

The short answer; it's not necessary to drive visitation and room nights right now. By everything I've heard, they're more than adequately booked out through the event. They have their audience coming without the houses that have yet to be announced, and those are all originals that likely don't drive visits like the IPs that they already announced do.

JT3000

The short answer; it's not necessary to drive visitation and room nights right now. By everything I've heard, they're more than adequately booked out through the event. They have their audience coming without the houses that have yet to be announced, and those are all originals that likely don't drive visits like the IPs that they already announced do.
Doesn't get more corporate than that. How did we go from having interactive websites to not knowing what the attractions are less than 3 weeks from the start of the event?

Amidala

Doesn't get more corporate than that. How did we go from having interactive websites to not knowing what the attractions are less than 3 weeks from the start of the event?
The final spec map is probably 90% accurate.

IRT the lack of announcements, it seems there have also been a lot of cancellations and last minute changes to the lineup this year. It’s possible Universal was hesitant to make any announcements given the situation behind the scenes. Maybe next year this will play out differently? That being said, I agree that original houses won’t affect most peoples’ decisions to attend the event whereas the inclusion of certain IP-based houses (in this case, The Weeknd for sure) may sway people on the fence, or entice demographics that wouldn’t otherwise be interested in HHN at all…and most fans who DO care about the original houses have likely been following the leaks & know the lineup already, so the lack of announcements for original houses doesn’t feel too catastrophic for me.

Last edited:

JT3000

The final spec map is probably 90% accurate.

IRT the lack of announcements, it seems there have also been a lot of cancellations and last minute changes to the lineup this year. It’s possible Universal was hesitant to make any announcements given the situation behind the scenes. Maybe next year this will play out differently? That being said, I agree that original houses won’t affect most peoples’ decisions to attend the event whereas the inclusion of certain IP-based houses (in this case, The Weeknd for sure) may sway people on the fence, or entice demographics that wouldn’t otherwise be interested in HHN at all…and most fans who DO care about the original houses have likely been following the leaks & know the lineup already, so the lack of announcements for original houses doesn’t feel too catastrophic for me.

I don't follow the rumor mill like I used to, but even if I did, having a fanmade speculation map isn't the same as having official announcements & proper content from Universal. I expect better of them. If they really have had so much trouble securing the IPs this year, then they need to forget about them moving forward and go old school, with future events consisting mostly of original content. They might make less profit, but the actual fans of the event will stick around and have a more enjoyable time without the casuals making everything unbearable.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
They could announce the original houses

They could announce the scare zones

They could announce the shows

They could say something about specialty food, drinks or merch.

Saying nothing for weeks makes no sense. At this point even SeaWorld has made more announcements about their Howl-O-Scream.

Andrew25

Saying nothing for weeks makes no sense. At this point even SeaWorld has made more announcements about their Howl-O-Scream.

Marketing team is too busy rotating the logo a few degrees.

JoeCamel

Seaworld has been poking HHN on twitter about announcements, love how the parks interact

Amidala

I don't follow the rumor mill like I used to, but even if I did, having a fanmade speculation map isn't the same as having official announcements & proper content from Universal. I expect better of them. If they really have had so much trouble securing the IPs this year, then they need to forget about them moving forward and go old school, with future events consisting mostly of original content. They might make less profit, but the actual fans of the event will stick around and have a more enjoyable time without the casuals making everything unbearable.
I'm not saying it is, or attempting to justify it - just saying I can see their reasoning, especially given everything going on behind the scenes this year. I would say revealing the houses one by one has always been more about building anticipation for fans and marketing to non-fans than a courtesy that was "owed" to anyone. I also can't imagine Universal removing IPs entirely, as it's a huge draw & it seems like a win/win to me since there are generally more original houses than IP-based houses. A reduced crowd would probably also lead to an increase in ticket prices, and currently the $70-ish price tag for HHN makes the cost of MNSSHP look like extortion.

JT3000

"Scream squad"
Blake Shelton No GIF by The Voice

Is is why it took so long? Did the entire marketing team quit and get replaced by zoomers?

trr1

How would you make that scary? To someone other than social conservatives, I mean?
a food truck could sell Eddie Burgers,Eddie Ribs,Frank-N-Furters,“hot Patootie” Spicy Calamari Fries, and Meatloaf. RiffRaff could chase you for dinner for the master but does it need to be a scare zone?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom