Guide to DLR for WDW Veterans!

harveyt0206

Okay my West Coast DLR experts, convince me that I am being ridiculous and shouldn't worry about the fact that Pirates, Small World, the Subs, Big Thunder AND Fantasmic are all going to be down during our trip. I just found out today and have to admit, I'm kinda heartsick over this development. I knew about Fantasmic and the Subs and had decided I could live with those closures. But Pirates and Small World???? Your version of Pirates was one of the things we were most looking forward to experiencing. We even have dining reservations at Blue Bayou, which I'm starting to rethink. I tried changing our travel plans for later in February, but USAir wants double what our original flight cost and I just can't justify that. So, now what? I'm afraid I'm going to be disappointed. I know in the grand scheme of world problems, this isn't a life changing problem. I just had a specific idea of how my first trip out West would look.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Well.. You have carsland to look forward too... But yeah if you are heading out during key low periods like January you are going to see several rides down at once.

If it were me... I'd reschedule. Btmrr down... No loss. Splash? No loss. But the other e tickets in dlr are musts... As is f!

IndianaJones

Okay my West Coast DLR experts, convince me that I am being ridiculous and shouldn't worry about the fact that Pirates, Small World, the Subs, Big Thunder AND Fantasmic are all going to be down during our trip. I just found out today and have to admit, I'm kinda heartsick over this development. I knew about Fantasmic and the Subs and had decided I could live with those closures. But Pirates and Small World???? Your version of Pirates was one of the things we were most looking forward to experiencing. We even have dining reservations at Blue Bayou, which I'm starting to rethink. I tried changing our travel plans for later in February, but USAir wants double what our original flight cost and I just can't justify that. So, now what? I'm afraid I'm going to be disappointed. I know in the grand scheme of world problems, this isn't a life changing problem. I just had a specific idea of how my first trip out West would look.
If you can, reschedule. Pirates and Small World are must do's for your first trip. Heck they're must do's for all of my trips.

I'd be extremely disappointed to not be able to experience those.

Just my opinion though.

Figments Friend

While it IS dissapointing that all of those attractions/shows will not be operating, i have a feeling that once you are out there and actually IN the Park it will not matter.
You will find yourself pleasantly wrapped up in the 'newness' of it all and have a great time with what IS open/operating.
There is PLENTY to keep you entertained and thrilled.

Besides, this will just give you the perfect excuse to come back again in the future!
:)

harveyt0206

While it IS dissapointing that all of those attractions/shows will not be operating, i have a feeling that once you are out there and actually IN the Park it will not matter.
You will find yourself pleasantly wrapped up in the 'newness' of it all and have a great time with what IS open/operating.
There is PLENTY to keep you entertained and thrilled.

Besides, this will just give you the perfect excuse to come back again in the future!
:)

And after much discussion, that is exactly what we decided. I've actually started to rationalize that not being able to ride the West coast versions of Pirates and Small World means I can still love my version when we go back to WDW for our annual September trip in 2014. Nothing to compare it to.

Thanks for everyone's input. This is why I love calling WDWMagic my online Disney home. Always good advice.

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
And after much discussion, that is exactly what we decided. I've actually started to rationalize that not being able to ride the West coast versions of Pirates and Small World means I can still love my version when we go back to WDW for our annual September trip in 2014. Nothing to compare it to.

Thanks for everyone's input. This is why I love calling WDWMagic my online Disney home. Always good advice.

Plus, it'll give you a major incentive to come back to Disneyland. Maybe come visit us during the Christmas season in 2015 - Christmas at Disneyland is truly the most wonderful time of the year.

mcstensrud

We are WDW veterans and flew from Boston to Lax in September for 7 day stay at the Grand Californian. We spent 6 days park hopping and one day at Laguna beach.
We used the bus service to and from the airport and rented a car for the day trip at Alamo in DTD.we went to WOC and Fantasmic.i liked the F show at DLR better than DHS.we did just about every thing but BTMRR as it was still closed!
We have been DVC members since 2000,go to WDW 2 x a year, have been on 7 DLC and going to Cali was way out of our comfort zone.

If that was the list of closures when we were going I would probably had rescheduled JMHO after being there.

Cosmic Commando

That sounds like a most excellent idea! :). I'm putting it on my calendar now. Christmas 2015 or bust!!
Shoot, since we'll prob'ly be getting APs (since the ticket lengths at DL don't fit us) I totally see us returning to maximize their value.....perhaps Christmas 2014?? LOL!
IMO, Halloween and Christmas seasons are the best times to go. Nothing is guaranteed, but you tend to miss the smaller refurbs. They seem to like keeping things open for the sizeable weekend crowds, but the weekday crowds can be very light with kids in school. You know Haunted Mansion Holiday will open mid-September (I'll make my prediction right now: 9/12/14) and stay open through mid-January. IASW will close in mid-to-late October and open on the Friday before Veterans Day weekend.

Cosmic Commando

The Spot NOT to Watch the Parade From
avoid111111111.jpg

Walk through this area (demarcated with my elegant lime green line) during a normal part of the day, and you'll hear the music switch from Fantasyland to MSUSA/Hub music. It's not a big deal when it's background music, but when it's "foreground" music and the volume is turned up to 11 and the parade music is divided into different sections that play in different areas at different times...

That line between the Hub and Fantasyland is also the line between parade "zones". Watch Soundsational from here, and you'll hear the very distinct music from two different floats at the same time, and possibly before the characters finish going by, your zone will switch to the track for the next float that just got to the beginning of your zone. You could be watching Genie go by with 3 Caballeros music playing. :confused:

flynnibus

Premium Member
I guess it should be said where to watch fireworks from...

at DLR you can and want to be right there in front of the castle. Unlike WDW where dead in front of the castle is 'too close' - you have no such issue at DLR. Get there 20-30mins early, find a spot along a rope in one of the roped in areas (where they force walkways to stay clear) and no one will be in front of you :)

Cosmic Commando

I guess it should be said where to watch fireworks from...

at DLR you can and want to be right there in front of the castle. Unlike WDW where dead in front of the castle is 'too close' - you have no such issue at DLR. Get there 20-30mins early, find a spot along a rope in one of the roped in areas (where they force walkways to stay clear) and no one will be in front of you :)
... or you could also try my spot to watch the fireworks: hurrying down Main Street trying to get to Fantasmic! ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom