Guide to DLR for WDW Veterans!

Heppenheimer

Question on Maxpass, can you pre-book fast passes like at Disney World? Last time I was at Disneyland you couldn't, so I didn't bother to purchase it.

PiratesMansion

Question on Maxpass, can you pre-book fast passes like at Disney World? Last time I was at Disneyland you couldn't, so I didn't bother to purchase it.

You may not be able to prebook FPs (for me it's actually better that you can't prebook, but YMMV), but it does make it way easier to get a ton of FPs, not to mention the steps saved because you can reserve on your phone.

Purduevian

How important is it to Rope drop the park that does not have EMH on that day. I will be going to DLR for the first time for 2 days and staying offsite. My original plan was to do DL all day the first day (Saturday) and CA most of the day Sunday, until/unless we want to hop back to DL for more things there. Looking at the typical schedule, DL has EMH on Saturdays while CA has them on Sundays... So will I be rope dropping into a large crowd?

PiratesMansion

How important is it to Rope drop the park that does not have EMH on that day. I will be going to DLR for the first time for 2 days and staying offsite. My original plan was to do DL all day the first day (Saturday) and CA most of the day Sunday, until/unless we want to hop back to DL for more things there. Looking at the typical schedule, DL has EMH on Saturdays while CA has them on Sundays... So will I be rope dropping into a large crowd?

I'd say very important. At DL, people that have EMH/MM will clog up Fantasyland and Tomorrowland prior to opening, and strategically that's where you should be starting out (the west side takes longer to fill and has fewer low capacity draws than the east side). At DCA, everything good is open for EMH, so everything will be crowded right off the bat.

It won't matter as much after a few hours, but those morning hours are precious. The parks are typically pretty dead until about 11, so if you start at the park that DOESN'T have EMH you can get a ton done beforehand and they will be the most productive hours of your day.

Touchdown

Yeah, start your day at DCA Saturday, while it’s not as big of a deal to not rope drop DCA on EMH days as only resort guests get access and those rides have much better capacity it’s a big deal at DL. Look at it as a positive, when you get to DL you will be able to mingle on Main St, take a vehicle or even have the Grand Circle Tour be your first ride.

SirWillow

As others have said, no you can't prebook them. Disneyland's Fastpass system is essentially the same at Walt Disney World's used to be with the old paper tickets- you can't get them until you get into the parks. They also don't give out as high a percentage of them as WDW does, which are both wins.

But there are 2 things that MaxPass gets you: all of your photopass photos for the day. And it allows you to book fastpasses from your phone. For both parks. Starting as soon as you enter the gates. So no racing or running across the park to get your fastpasses, or having to go to the other park to get fastpasses over there. You can book DCA fastpasses from inside Disneyland on your phone with MaxPass and vice versa. It will save you time and a lot of extra walking back and forth.

And the photos is a nice thing anyways for a measly $15/ day.

smooch

Sorry for the late response but it is very important in my opinion. The first few hours after rope drop are when I get a large portion of the rides I want to do out of the way with the lower wait times. When it starts to get crowded in the late morning I try to get a couple more rides in and then like to do other activities around mid day when it is extremely crowded, I will get lunch / a snack, explore the shops, wander the park enjoying smaller details, watch the live entertainment, or just sit and people watch or if I go during summer and am getting very hot and tired I will even walk back to my hotel room (usually stay right across the street) and lay down / take a power nap to cool down and recharge and then head back into the parks for the evening and stay till closing. I would definitely say if you rope drop in DCA go with RSR first, then hit GOTG and Chase a Baby (Incredicoaster).

Purduevian

Sorry for the late response but it is very important in my opinion. The first few hours after rope drop are when I get a large portion of the rides I want to do out of the way with the lower wait times. When it starts to get crowded in the late morning I try to get a couple more rides in and then like to do other activities around mid day when it is extremely crowded, I will get lunch / a snack, explore the shops, wander the park enjoying smaller details, watch the live entertainment, or just sit and people watch or if I go during summer and am getting very hot and tired I will even walk back to my hotel room (usually stay right across the street) and lay down / take a power nap to cool down and recharge and then head back into the parks for the evening and stay till closing. I would definitely say if you rope drop in DCA go with RSR first, then hit GOTG and Chase a Baby (Incredicoaster).

No problem about late response... I'm not going till June. Just planning super far ahead since WDW has conditioned me to do that. Current 3 day plan:
Fly in Friday night and get to hotel.
Saturday Rope Drop Magic Morning DL (3 day ticket). Stay in DL all day unless lines look short at DCA by comparison
Sunday Rope Drop DCA (nothing is open early Sunday's?). Stay in DCA all day unless we want to hit DL again in the afternoon/evening
Monday Rope Drop DL (DCA should open early?). Hit all the favorites from either park or go on things we missed the first 2 days.

smooch

No problem about late response... I'm not going till June. Just planning super far ahead since WDW has conditioned me to do that. Current 3 day plan:
Fly in Friday night and get to hotel.
Saturday Rope Drop Magic Morning DL (3 day ticket). Stay in DL all day unless lines look short at DCA by comparison
Sunday Rope Drop DCA (nothing is open early Sunday's?). Stay in DCA all day unless we want to hit DL again in the afternoon/evening
Monday Rope Drop DL (DCA should open early?). Hit all the favorites from either park or go on things we missed the first 2 days.

Sounds like a really good plan. I have not spent a full day in DCA myself but that is because I have gone over the years as they have added things over time so I have never gone with the intent to see everything there in a day. Any time I do a 3 day trip I also use the 3rd day as a day to see anything I missed as well as repeat the favorites from both parks. Be careful not to tire yourself out, I really try to do a lot on my trips and by the second night my legs are in so much pain from walking across both parks but it is so worth it.

Purduevian

Sounds like a really good plan. I have not spent a full day in DCA myself but that is because I have gone over the years as they have added things over time so I have never gone with the intent to see everything there in a day. Any time I do a 3 day trip I also use the 3rd day as a day to see anything I missed as well as repeat the favorites from both parks. Be careful not to tire yourself out, I really try to do a lot on my trips and by the second night my legs are in so much pain from walking across both parks but it is so worth it.

We will have park hoppers so if we run out of DCA stuff on day 2 we can always just go to DL. I think we will be ok, 2 Adults in their mid 20s. We did WDW last June in the heat for 4 days and did:
HS: 9am-9pm Fantasmic
MK: 9am-8:15 Wishes (started early from Rain)
Epcot: 9am-9pm Illuminations
AK: 9am-4pm followed by a 3.5 hour drive.

It was exhausting, but so worth it. I'm sure I'll have more questions as we get closer!

TP2000

We will have park hoppers so if we run out of DCA stuff on day 2 we can always just go to DL. I think we will be ok, 2 Adults in their mid 20s. We did WDW last June in the heat for 4 days and did:
HS: 9am-9pm Fantasmic
MK: 9am-8:15 Wishes (started early from Rain)
Epcot: 9am-9pm Illuminations
AK: 9am-4pm followed by a 3.5 hour drive.

It was exhausting, but so worth it. I'm sure I'll have more questions as we get closer!

The nice thing about June in Anaheim is there won't be heat. Or rain. Or humidity. Or anything close to what they deal with in Orlando.

You'll probably have what we call "June Gloom" where the beach fog rolls in 10 to 15 miles inland (Anaheim is about 8 miles from the ocean) and then refuses to budge for most of the day and it stays overcast and in the low 70's. Sometimes the overcast burns off by mid afternoon, before it returns in mid evening. But often it's overcast and cool in June, especially the first two or three weeks of June.

Around late June or early July a switch is flipped and the beach fog goes away for the summer and it turns sunny and warmer, into the 80's. But most of June is a different scene that what you'd normally expect for early summer in the rest of the country.

KikoKea

MaxPass has me confused. This is our situation: DH and I are taking our 2 year old grandson and his parents to DL this Tues for 3 days. Last time I was there, just DH and me, MP worked well. But, DL website says it is now $15 a day per person. Does that mean I cannot purchase MP each day for me and make a party on my app and make FPs for all of us? Would we all have to pay $15 per person each day to make a party on the app and FPs?
Many thanks in advance!

mickEblu

MaxPass has me confused. This is our situation: DH and I are taking our 2 year old grandson and his parents to DL this Tues for 3 days. Last time I was there, just DH and me, MP worked well. But, DL website says it is now $15 a day per person. Does that mean I cannot purchase MP each day for me and make a party on my app and make FPs for all of us? Would we all have to pay $15 per person each day to make a party on the app and FPs?
Many thanks in advance!

You can still purchase MaxPass for you and your entire party daily for the price of $15 per person. You can purchase all of them with one credit card. Additionally, you can link all the park tickets on the DL app so you can make Fast pass selections for the entire party.

KikoKea

You can still purchase MaxPass for you and your entire party daily for the price of $15 per person. You can purchase all of them with one credit card. Additionally, you can link all the park tickets on the DL app so you can make Fast pass selections for the entire party.
Thanks. I'm looking forward to DL's Christmas parade and IASW lights. Has WDW beat, imho. Our little grandson will love it!

mickEblu

Thanks. I'm looking forward to DL's Christmas parade and IASW lights. Has WDW beat, imho. Our little grandson will love it!

No problem. You ll have a great time. IASW Holiday might be the only overlay I like more than the original attraction. It really puts you in the Christmas spirit. Obviously ride at night for the lights/ light show every 15 minutes. If the line is 45 or under and since you re there for 3 days, I wouldn’t even prioritize an FP for it since the outdoor queue provides such a festive atmosphere.

KikoKea

No problem. You ll have a great time. IASW Holiday might be the only overlay I like more than the original attraction. It really puts you in the Christmas spirit. Obviously ride at night for the lights/ light show every 15 minutes. If the line is 45 or under and since you re there for 3 days, I wouldn’t even prioritize an FP for it since the outdoor queue provides such a festive atmosphere.
I know- it is one of, if not THE best, Christmas overlay in all of Disney. I love the HM, but IASW is amazing. We just sit and watch and listen- although the non-light show music is rather repetitious, even if it is nice. A few times, we've been on the train when the light show was going- pretty cool! The clock show is fun, too.

smooch

I know- it is one of, if not THE best, Christmas overlay in all of Disney. I love the HM, but IASW is amazing. We just sit and watch and listen- although the non-light show music is rather repetitious, even if it is nice. A few times, we've been on the train when the light show was going- pretty cool! The clock show is fun, too.

Don't let THE 1HAPPY HAUNT hear that ;)

Andrew M

Two questions for you DLR vets, I used to go to DL about once a year, back when my mom would have an annual conference right across the street, but haven't been since 2010. We've been to WDW quite a few times, but I'm looking to bring my family for the first time, wife and 3 kids, will be 7,6 & 4. Going for the first week of September in 2020, hopefully alot of the schools will be back so the crowds might be manageable. Anyway my question is, we're gonna do a Hopper w/ MaxPass, can everything be done in 4 days, or should I just go for the 5 day to make sure we can take our time? And, it looks like HMH opens sometime in early September, how early do they release the schedule for that?

DarkMetroid567

Two questions for you DLR vets, I used to go to DL about once a year, back when my mom would have an annual conference right across the street, but haven't been since 2010. We've been to WDW quite a few times, but I'm looking to bring my family for the first time, wife and 3 kids, will be 7,6 & 4. Going for the first week of September in 2020, hopefully alot of the schools will be back so the crowds might be manageable. Anyway my question is, we're gonna do a Hopper w/ MaxPass, can everything be done in 4 days, or should I just go for the 5 day to make sure we can take our time? And, it looks like HMH opens sometime in early September, how early do they release the schedule for that?

Can everything be done in 4 days? Everything with MaxPass can be done in 2 days, 3 days if you're taking your time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom