• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Guide to DLR for WDW Veterans!

Weather_Lady

Advertisement
I disagree. I've heard HJ is excellent too, but we loved the place that @Weather_Lady booked and it was so close and convenient plus it had a free full breakfast.
As it happens, we have kept our Best Western Plus Anaheim Inn reservation. The hotel has been newly-remodeled with updated decor, and the AAA rate we got on a 2-bedroom suite there was quite a bit less than the comparable family suites at the Howard Johnson, although both are, as you mention, well-reviewed. Breakfast will be a welcome feature, as well!

Just a few points for WDW vets so they don't look like tourists while visiting the Disneyland Resort.

1) Never call the Disneyland Resort, "Disney". (ie. "We're going to spend a week at Disney.") This is acceptable at Walt Disney World but NOT acceptable here.

2) Disneyland is NOT in Florida. That is the Magic Kingdom. It is not Disneyland.

3) Whatever you do, definitely don't say "Cali." The only people who don't refer to California as "Cali" are the Golden State natives themselves. You will very, very rarely hear a Californian call their home state by this name, even though people from everywhere else love to call it that.

4) The planning rules you use at WDW do not work at the Disneyland Resort. It is best to go with the flow and enjoy Walt's park and the magic. There is also thousands of things to do off property.

I have sort of an odd question from my last trip. On the way back to IASW on the right hand side of the path, due east of the canal boats, there is an elevated area accessed by steps and ramps. Within it are two IASW themed towers. Does this area consist of re-purposed remnants of an old attraction or was this just built to serve as a meet and greet and/or parade viewing area?

I understand the motor boats used to operate in the water behind the area in question and were accessed by what is now the narrow rear seating area for Edelweiss. I also believe I read that Midget Autopia was located across from the area in question but was destroyed when the path needed widened to access IASW when it opened.

Phrubruh

I have sort of an odd question from my last trip. On the way back to IASW on the right hand side of the path, due east of the canal boats, there is an elevated area accessed by steps and ramps. Within it are two IASW themed towers. Does this area consist of re-purposed remnants of an old attraction or was this just built to serve as a meet and greet and/or parade viewing area?

I understand the motor boats used to operate in the water behind the area in question and were accessed by what is now the narrow rear seating area for Edelweiss. I also believe I read that Midget Autopia was located across from the area in question but was destroyed when the path needed widened to access IASW when it opened.
That is the viewing area for the old Light Magic parade. The parade lasted for the summer of '97 and never was run again. The viewing area remained and is a great place to get close to the any parade without staking out a spot hours in advance.

That is the viewing area for the old Light Magic parade. The parade lasted for the summer of '97 and never was run again. The viewing area remained and is a great place to get close to the any parade without staking out a spot hours in advance.
Thanks! I enjoyed a nice turkey leg there one evening. Interesting that they built it just for that purpose and that the show only lasted for one summer. I've seen some here talk about/bemoan changes made over the years to address crowd flow so I guess this improvement sorta falls in line with those efforts.

EDIT: Just read the Light Magic article on Wiki. Sounds like it's rollout was a train wreck and the show received poor reviews by the public. I also saw the name Pressler which I understand is not favorably viewed in DL fan circles.

Last edited:

Phrubruh

Thanks! I enjoyed a nice turkey leg there one evening. Interesting that they built it just for that purpose and that the show only lasted for one summer. I've seen some here talk about/bemoan changes made over the years to address crowd flow so I guess this improvement sorta falls in line with those efforts.

EDIT: Just read the Light Magic article on Wiki. Sounds like it's rollout was a train wreck and the show received poor reviews by the public. I also saw the name Pressler which I understand is not favorably viewed in DL fan circles.
No one understood that the parade stopped at only two areas for a half hour show before moving on. If you weren't at those locations, you missed the show.

Top Bottom