• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Guide to DLR for WDW Veterans!

PiratesMansion

DO NOT do Lincoln first. I've never seen it busy. Do it in the afternoon along with the Tiki Room, Tom Sawyer Island, the Riverboats, etc.

Five days is plenty of time to see everything. You shouldn't have any problems fitting everything in.

Fantasyland is always a great place to start. You can pretty easily hit all the dark rides with little to no wait and minimal walking. In particular, if you want to experience Peter Pan with no/minimal wait you pretty much have to get there before rope drop and do it the second the park opens. I like to start with PP, then go to Alice, then Mr. Toad. From there you could do Snow White & Pinocchio, but they are less popular than the others. Probably a better choice would be Storybook Land, as that is a must-do with a very slow-moving line. I wouldn't say Casey Jr. is mandatory, but I think it complements the boats well and you're better off getting there with a shorter line so that you can sit on the benches, so you don't have to cram into the animal cages. Matterhorn isn't the early morning priority it used to be now that it has FastPass. It also tends to start with only one side and then bring on side # 2 30 min. later or so.

Toontown will open an hour after the rest of the park. That's always a good time to see Roger Rabbit with minimal wait and ensure that you get to see the queue, which you should see at least once.

For a second day, you might consider starting with the Nemo subs. It's slow loading and a long attraction, so it's a bit of a time commitment under the best of circumstances. I don't consider it to be super impressive, but if it's something you'd like to experience I'd head there first one morning. It would also be a good time to hit Autopia (if desired), and grab a FP for Space or Star Tours. Star Tours is identical but the lines are longer in DL because it has fewer simulators than WDW.

The west side of the park takes time to build up a crowd. Definitely begin with Indiana Jones if you're starting over there. Afterwards I would probably head to Splash, followed by Mansion and Pirates. But really the first two hours the park is open the west side is a relative ghost town and you'll practically have it to yourself.

This may have changed from last year, but last summer the FP machines for Mansion and Big Thunder were frequently giving out instant FPs that allowed you to ride immediately. Take advantage of them if that is still the case.

Animaniac93-98

Advertisement
Is it possible to do PTN and Fantasmic in the same night?

mickEblu

With 5 days at the parks you could probably get away with zero planning (aside from restaurant reservations and priority seating at shows) but the tips you have received so far are all solid.

SteamboatJoe

Got back earlier this week. We had a blast. Rode everything in both parks in 5 days, saw the parades, fireworks, and the big theater shows. Watched Paint the Night twice and Fantasmic! three times. Aside from World of Color being broken, the only other disappointment was not understanding how the Animation Academy worked. When we had time to go in, the were going to be drawing characters I had zero interest in so we didn't do it. DL will never be my "home park" and I will never had the nostalgia for it others do since I didn't visit it as a child but I will certainly look back fondly on my trip.

DSteph

First time visitor next summer and planning our arrival day. I'm assuming both the Disneyland Hotel and Grand Californian are a quick, easy walk from Downtown Disney. Would I be right? Also, is there any way to ride the monorail without a ticket to the parks?

raven24

First time visitor next summer and planning our arrival day. I'm assuming both the Disneyland Hotel and Grand Californian are a quick, easy walk from Downtown Disney. Would I be right? Also, is there any way to ride the monorail without a ticket to the parks?
Right, the hotels aren’t far. The Grand is physically in California Adventure and Downtown Disney, so choose that one if you want to be really close.

Access to the monorail requires a park ticket, since it travels inside the park.

Phrubruh

Monorail is for Disneyland ticket holders only. No free rides.

The hotels are a quick and easy walk from Downtown Disney. In fact, at the Grand California you just step outside and you are there.

djlaosc

Is there a week where you could experience both the Halloween and Christmas decorations like at WDW?

McPhoenix

Is there a week where you could experience both the Halloween and Christmas decorations like at WDW?
Well, the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay on Haunted Mansion is almost more Christmassy than it is Halloweeny... But I've found that sometimes in the week after Halloween, some of the Halloween decorations are still up as they're putting up Christmas decorations.

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
Snow will be appearing on the castle the week of Halloween. NOS Christmas decorations go up at that time too, so visiting on or just after Halloween will get you a mix of holiday decor.

BasiltheBatLord

I'm staying at Paradise Pier next month. Can I use the Grand Californian entrance to DCA?
Yeah anyone can use it as long as they have a park ticket, you don't need to be a Grand Californian guest. I don't know when in the morning it opens though, or how it works with the early magic hour.

Curious Constance

Yeah anyone can use it as long as they have a park ticket, you don't need to be a Grand Californian guest. I don't know when in the morning it opens though, or how it works with the early magic hour.
This may no longer be true, I believe they have cracked down and you now have to have a room key or a receipt to a GCH restaurant to get through.

Top Bottom