Guide to DLR for WDW Veterans!

Bairstow

Huntington Beach is a nice break from the parks, and very close to Disneyland.

Huntington Beach is a great option, especially if you've never seen the Pacific Ocean before. We rented a mustang convertible when we were there and took it up the Pacific Coast Highway for a ways.

If you've got two non-Disney days to play with I'd recommend checking out Knott's Berry Farm. It's really fascinating to see its parallel development with Disney.

dweezil78

I've got one day of my upcoming DL trip set aside for some non-Disney touring. I have never been to LA, California, or the Pacific Ocean. Any suggestions in regards to what I can realistically get to and see in a day? Thinking of renting a car but am open to other options.

My vote is for Laguna Beach -- you can get to Laguna Beach in under an hour from Anaheim area (if that's where you are staying). Lots of cool shops and restaurants and one of my favorite stretches of coastline in that area. Huntington is nice too, but a little more surfer bro'ish.

Animaniac93-98

I'm debating if Mickey's Halloween Party is worth it. As far as I know, the only things exclusive to it are the parade, fireworks (or World of Color) and trick-or-treating. Is that true?

This is a hard point for me to plan around because this year is the rumoured one where the party will switch parks and other changes will take place.

DisneyDreamer08

Thought I would post here instead of starting a new thread. Hubs & I are planning a one day visit to both DL & DCA next January. Right now, our itinerary has us there the Tuesday after MLK day. Based on the park hours from this past January, the hours will only be 10-8. Being a WDW vet, it's freaking me out that DL doesn't open til 10. We could rearrange some things and go to DL on MLK day. I know it would be more crowded but the park hours would probably be longer. So what do you think? Monday or Tuesday? Also, if we do go Tuesday and the hours are only 10-8, should we still consider seeing one of the nighttime shows/parades? Or would we not have time for that?
Thanks!

djlaosc

Not likely. It's possible you'll see some thing soft opening between Memorial Day and June 23, but not before then.

Is there a reason why the Fun Wheel couldn't have been opened in time for the start of Pixar Fest? From looking at the HoJo cam, the buckets were removed the first week in January, and then it doesn't seem that much visible has happened since - is the entire structure getting a refurb (not visible on the camera) before it is repainted, or is a lot of work being done on the surrounding boardwalk - is there any reason why this is taking 5.5 months to do?

SteamboatJoe

Is there a reason why the Fun Wheel couldn't have been opened in time for the start of Pixar Fest? From looking at the HoJo cam, the buckets were removed the first week in January, and then it doesn't seem that much visible has happened since - is the entire structure getting a refurb (not visible on the camera) before it is repainted, or is a lot of work being done on the surrounding boardwalk - is there any reason why this is taking 5.5 months to do?

I have been sort of wondering the same thing. It can't take that long to change out the buckets and re-paint it.

SteamboatJoe

Just saw the Matterhorn goes down for refurb on April 16th. This one caught me by surprise. I was worried about PotC going down during my trip to redo the redhead scene but had no idea that Matterhorn wouldn't be running. Any rumors if this is just one of the short refurbs? Looks some years it's only been shut down for only 4 or 5 days while others it has been down for weeks.

Last edited:

SteamboatJoe

Seeing unofficial rumors that Pirates will go down on April 23. Starting to wonder if maybe I should push my trip back to mid-late June.

djlaosc

@SteamboatJoe - Matterhorn is down April 16-19. Pirates is closed April 23 - June 7.

So for my next trip, I will be down...

• California Screamin'
  • Mickey's Fun Wheel
  • World of Color
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Dumbo (until April 27th)
Should I be expecting anything else to go down over my trip? (I'm used to WDW where refurbishments seem to be announced months in advance, not days)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom