Guide to DLR for WDW Veterans!

BrianV

No, none are in the security zone. DLH and GCH are still worth visiting however.
Thanks. When we went in April you could easily wait 20 minutes just to get through that. I know GCH (which looks amazing) has a separate entrance to the CA park. Is that an all in one security and admission?

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
Thanks. When we went in April you could easily wait 20 minutes just to get through that. I know GCH (which looks amazing) has a separate entrance to the CA park. Is that an all in one security and admission?

Yes, but it's reserved for hotel guests only.

Curious Constance

Yes, but it's reserved for hotel guests only.

Do they now stop people from going into the Grand Californian from DTD unless you're staying or eating there? My husband wanted to sit in there and wait for us to finish shopping, but I saw security over there, and had heard that they try to only keep hotel guests there now.

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
Do they now stop people from going into the Grand Californian from DTD unless you're staying or eating there? My husband wanted to sit in there and wait for us to finish shopping, but I saw security over there, and had heard that they try to only keep hotel guests there now.

They won't stop you from going in, but once you're inside you might get approached by security after a few minutes asking if you're a guest. It really sucks actually.

BrianV

So to be clear if you are staying there how do you get to DTD? Do you pass through a security check?

Who am I kidding, I'll never pay that price per night...

SteamboatJoe

I am in the very early stages of considering a trip to DL with my wife in late March 2018 and am trying to get a rough idea how much a 5 day, 6 night trip stay at a good neighbor hotel would be. Am I going to be able to find a somewhat close and decent hotel for under $300 a night that time of year (taxes and fees included)?

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
I am in the very early stages of considering a trip to DL with my wife in late March 2018 and am trying to get a rough idea how much a 5 day, 6 night trip stay at a good neighbor hotel would be. Am I going to be able to find a somewhat close and decent hotel for under $300 a night that time of year (taxes and fees included)?

Most hotels should be booking that far out now, so I'd start by looking at rates for your dates on an aggregator like Orbitz to get an idea, and then book through the hotel directly.

Daveeeeed

RIDES
I would like to mention that you can easily do close to twice the amount of rides in a day at DLR as WDW.
Fastpasses are far easier to come by (even before FP+), lines as a whole are far shorter, crowds are more experienced (more locals), and not as pushy. That's not to say you won't find rides that will have 80+ minute waits (Matterhorn) but you don't have many of the top tier rides pushing 90 minutes like in WDW. Heck, Radiator Springs Racers frequents wait times that are similar or less than Test Track. Of course, don't go Christmas week to either resort, haha.

Coming from WDW, be sure to ride Indy, Potc, The Matterhorn, Alice, Jungle Cruise (skippers can go off-script), and the Subs at Disneyland. At DCA, don't miss Radiator Springs Racers, Grizzly River Run, California Screamin', and Gotg.

FOOD
Quick service as a whole is very tasty so be sure to take advantage of that. Unlike WDW, Quick-service as a whole is high-quality to cater to locals.
Try some Corn Dogs on Main Street, taste some churros, and have a turkey leg. I might mention that the Jolly Holiday Bakery is superb.

Downtown Disney is also an easy option to get breakfast. Grabbing lunch at DDT, if you have a park hopper, is also an excellent idea.

HOTELS
Various high-quality hotels not owned by Disney are easy to come by. Best of all, they are within walking distance. I'd recommend that if you frequent the resort or if you are on a budget. If it's your first time and really want to make it shine, the Disneyland Hotel was spectacular. Service was on point, and the place is beautiful. We like to walk, but we did manage to try the monorail twice and it was really cool being able to see the entire resort. Its stop is just inside the security perimeter of Downtown Disney, so it is very close to DLR. We also stayed in the Frontier tower, but again, we don't mind walking. If you decide to stay at the Disneyland Hotel and prefer the quickest walk possible, try the Fantasy or Adventure Tower. Goofy's Kitchen is great as well, but especially on a shorter stay, I'd recommend that you instead eat in Downtown Disney.

NIGHT SHOWS
World of Color especially at the front of the viewing area is a must-do. Fastpass distribution works very well, but be sure to ask what time it's distributing for, and if there's a second show, check back around 2, but it really does depend on crowd levels.Be at the second showing (if there's one) 5 minutes after the first showing ends. Line starts on the left side of Paradise Pear around where the Cove Bar is. Overall, it's a stunning show that is outstanding when getting misted by the fountains in the very front. DO NOT be afraid to get wet (unless you medically cannot). It ups the experience x20 and the view is unmatched. You will be mostly dry by the end of it, flames throughout dry you off. DO NOT MISS!!!

The Main Street Electrical Parade or Paint The Night are not to be missed
Crowds carry much more common sense when it comes to parades at DLR vs. WDW in my experience. Want to sit on a bench on Main Street? People will most likely form 3 rows of sitting on the pavement. I was in shock how respectful people were. I can't promise you this will happen, but out of two parades, we watched people were extremely respectful and carried common sense compared to the one in a lifetime WDW tourist who shoves you to get a good view.

Fantasmic!
I've heard it's excellent and looks to be on YouTube, but I did not get to see it this past July. I would make a point to see it though, but if it's this of World of Color go with WoC.

Remember… Dreams Come True
Great firework show, but Happily Ever After knocks its socks off. Impossible to enjoy on Main Street as Main Street is quaint and small compared to MK's, so watch it from New Orleans Square; where Fantasmic! plays each evening.

SOAK IN THE DETAILS
Extremely important! Disneyland is a marvel. Take it slow. New Orleans Square and Fantasyland are incredibly quaint. Tomorrowland has an epic ride-lineup, and the Indiana Jones Adventure is unbelievably detailed from entering the queue to the exit.

Over at DCA, Cars Land feels like a real place that just happens to have cars: literally. It's surreal. Its place in the park, with connections to a California boardwalk and the wilderness of Grizzly Peak, is beautiful. It's very hard to explain if you have not been, but I prefer it to every theme park land in the Western Hemisphere minus DLP's Frontierland.

The desert, water, and wilderness of DCA are a perfect 3-punch combo. Just avoid Hollywood Land if you cannot stand bad theming, and out of place buildings.:p

OTHER TIPS
  • Avoid Main Street during the fireworks and be sure to watch the second WoC showing if there is one.
  • I highly recommend at the minimum 2 days and 4+ days to take it in slowly.
  • Go to Downtown Disney's Starbucks and buy a coffee or a pastry, and then ask for 4 cups of water as they're free of charge. Cold water for the whole family!
  • Grab a Fastpass for the Matterhorn, and then queue up for Alice in Wonderland, Mr. Toad, and any other Fantasyland dark-ride you like.
  • You can get a FastPass and then instantly ride Big Thunder Mountain and Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin anytime of the day. You can grab a Fastpass and instantly ride Screamin' and TSMM! in the morning. Use FastPasses for Indy and RSR as your number 1 choices. Finally, Matterhorn has zero waits in the last hour of the park's operation.

I went from the 21st of June to the morning of the 25th of June. The dry 80-degree highs were perfect, crowds were high but were unimaginably laid-back and polite, and queues were a non-issue.

I will edit this when I get more time, and I will be adding more tips & tricks as well as superior grammar.

surfsupdon

Parking question.

I am staying in Venice but spending a full day (a Thursday) at Disney. Where is the best place to park and for how much?

I will be eating dinner at Steakhouse55 and will also be buying things at DtD. I remember seeing they validate parking???

What are my options? Thank you!

George Lucas on a Bench

I would park at the Mickey and Friends, which is $20. I don't think they validate parking at DTD, although I could be wrong. In my experience, they charge you for parking there regardless and it adds up. The garage is close and a flat fee.

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
Parking question.

I am staying in Venice but spending a full day (a Thursday) at Disney. Where is the best place to park and for how much?

I will be eating dinner at Steakhouse55 and will also be buying things at DtD. I remember seeing they validate parking???

What are my options? Thank you!

You can park at the Disneyland Hotel and get 3 hours free self-parking there with a Steakhouse 55 validation.

phrog

We stayed at the tropicana there is a very nice howard johnson right down the street on harbor blvd.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom