Guests at Pools

MickeyMomV

I'm being judged by strangers online (who think they have more power and knowledge than the Disney resort employees), for waiting in line at my resort, to find out what the procedures are for a visitor spending a few hours with us at the hotel and whether it would be okay for us to use the pool, I'm given approval, and yet I'm being accused of thinking the world revolves around me and what I want (even though others posted they have done the same thing and also gotten approval)? Okaaayyyy. Or is it for advising the original poster to ask staff at her resort if it would be approved for them in their circumstance?

I think what it comes down to is that the rules are posted and most everybody knows what the rules are. Where the difference comes in is that, from the sounds of it, you already knew the rules/procedures and what you actually waited in line for was not to find out the rules but was permission to break the rules? Which they gave. I fully agree from that point it is on Disney.

MickeyMomV

Well, I will take this one step further and a lawyer under contract law would need to be more precise. The signs posted state: "This pool are is for the exclusive use of Disney's XYZ resort guests." The LEGAL term of guest is undefined. A guest can be anyone visiting the resort. In legal terms, that line needs to state people with paid Disney's XYZ resort reservations.

This goes to my claim that if I am a "guest" at a resort, patronizing it with my money, my DD could jump in the pool for a couple minutes. Because I am not a resident of said resort, have no ownership or rental agreement, I legally am a guest at the resort.

A guest by definition is "a person who is invited to visit the home of or take part in a function organized by another". By being a Disney XYZ resort guest you have the ability to use the amenities of the resort. The rule does not read the guest of a Disney XYZ resort guest. I have no idea how that would be defined in a law suit. Maybe a trespasser?

LeighM

I think what it comes down to is that the rules are posted and most everybody knows what the rules are. Where the difference comes in is that, from the sounds of it, you already knew the rules/procedures and what you actually waited in line for was not to find out the rules but was permission to break the rules? Which they gave. I fully agree from that point it is on Disney.

Actually that would be the wrong assumption. You can read in my previous posts, that I did not see any signs during this stay at the quiet pools, that it was before MagicBands and the pool crackdowns and before fencing, and that I waited in line to find out what the procedure for guests were (as this was the first time we actually had a visitor at a resort). I waited in line to find out what was needed to have a visitor - if he would need any information to get thru the gates, where to park, did he have to be checked in, and if he could use the pool with us if that's what we decided to do. At no point did I make it seem like I already knew the rules or was asking for permission to break the rules. Have no idea why would you get that conclusion from anything I've said. The person working the concierge desk told me the information to give to our visitor so that he would be allowed to get thru security, where he should park, they asked me how long he would be visiting (just a few hours after 5PM), and I asked if it would be okay to use the resort pool. Staff told me I could use the quiet pool, which worked out fine for me as we had no desire to use the feature pool, being all adults with no kids and wanted to hang out together, talk, and get caught up. They said nothing about adding him to our stay, or day guests, or wristband, etc. Maybe it was just the resort, at this time, based on occupancy rates during our stay, etc. I have no clue and neither do I care. But like you said, at that point, it's on Disney as they gave permission.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Amen!!!!!! The customer stopped being always right when the customer became an entitled jerk. Being a customer doesn't mean you always get your way, no matter how silly or stupid the demand.

What if the customer is right, and it's the internet that's being the jerk?

daisyduckie

What if the customer is right, and it's the internet that's being the jerk?

That happens sometimes, but not in this case. The rules are clearly posted. You can always ask a lifeguard to make an exception, but you need to ask. You (not meaning you specifically) can't just decide what is posted is just for show. And the guest also needs to accept being told No with grace, and not act like a jerk.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
That happens sometimes, but not in this case. The rules are clearly posted. You can always ask a lifeguard to make an exception, but you need to ask. You (not meaning you specifically) can't just decide what is posted is just for show. And the guest also needs to accept being told No with grace, and not act like a jerk.

What if you ask management at the desk and they say that it's OK? Since they're management does that count or does a sign still take precedence? Is it entitlement mentality to ask a question?

LeighM

So how exactly is that different than what most people, including me, have suggested to the OP? We suggested she ask the resort when she gets there. Some people have been jumping down my throat bc I was unsure of their policy, asked the resort, and permission was granted. As I previously mentioned, if they had told me no then it wouldn't have been a big deal. As it turned out, we ended up not using the pool but permission was granted to us. The jerks in this thread have been the ones having an issue with someone asking for approval not an entitled guest.

Last edited:

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
So how exactly is that different than what most people, including me, have suggested to the OP? We suggested she ask the resort when she gets there. Some people have been jumping down my throat bc I was unsure of their policy, asked the resorts permission, and it was granted. As I previously mentioned, if they had told me no then it wouldn't have been a big deal. As it turned out, we ended up not using the pool but permission was granted to us. The jerks in this thread have been the ones having an issue with someone asking for approval not an entitled guest.

Don't forget, "entitlement" seems to be defined at WDWMagic as anything that certain people on this forum don't like.

21stamps

So how exactly is that different than what most people, including me, have suggested to the OP? We suggested she ask the resort when she gets there. Some people have been jumping down my throat bc I was unsure of their policy, asked the resort, and permission was granted. As I previously mentioned, if they had told me no then it wouldn't have been a big deal. As it turned out, we ended up not using the pool but permission was granted to us. The jerks in this thread have been the ones having an issue with someone asking for approval not an entitled guest.

Speaking for myself, I recommended adding to the reservation- or, asking for wristbands. Both of these to avoid a potentially uncomfortable and time wasting scenario if CMs come around to check bands. I think a few other people recommended that as well.

I do think the problem came when people started talking about signs being "guidelines instead of rules".

LeighM

Speaking for myself, I recommended adding to the reservation- or, asking for wristbands. Both of these to avoid a potentially uncomfortable and time wasting scenario if CMs come around to check bands. I think a few other people recommended that as well.

I do think the problem came when people started talking about signs being "guidelines instead of rules".

And in my defense, I never called them a guideline (actually I called them rules in a post) but yet I've been insulted by strangers on a Disney board because I dared to ask the resort staff procedures over having a guest LOL. If the hotel had suggested wristbands for us, we would've had no problem but it wasn't presented to us and we didn't know anything about it. Maybe that's something Riverside didn't think was necessary for a quiet pool bc they knew they weren't checking. I have no idea, I just listened to the staff member. Someone even said that asking the staff was wrong of me and I shouldn't have put them in that position. How can you even get a wristband if you don't ask? But apparently even asking can make you entitled.

disney4life2008

My friend is checking into sports Friday. He invited my entire family to lounge at the pool Friday afternoon so we can catch up. All 7 of us are going to enjoy a nice Disney amenity for free ☺️

Lol

21stamps

And in my defense, I never called them a guideline (actually I called them rules in a post) but yet I've been insulted by strangers on a Disney board because I dared to ask the resort staff procedures over having a guest LOL. If the hotel had suggested wristbands for us, we would've had no problem but it wasn't presented to us and we didn't know anything about it. Maybe that's something Riverside didn't think was necessary for a quiet pool bc they knew they weren't checking. I have no idea, I just listened to the staff member. Someone even said that asking the staff was wrong of me and I shouldn't have put them in that position. How can you even get a wristband if you don't ask? But apparently even asking can make you entitled.

You didn't call them guidelines. Other people did though. I don't know why anyone was picking on your specific posts.

Lol. My only issue is that Disney does not care about people spending money at the pool bars and food courts.

You can't go to all pool bars at WDW, and I don't think that people should.
We all know that pools/pool bars get crowded. Someone isn't being a jerk because they want to have space for guests of the resort.

BigRedDad

A guest by definition is "a person who is invited to visit the home of or take part in a function organized by another". By being a Disney XYZ resort guest you have the ability to use the amenities of the resort. The rule does not read the guest of a Disney XYZ resort guest. I have no idea how that would be defined in a law suit. Maybe a trespasser?

You cannot be labeled a trespasser because anyone is permitted as a guest as a resort. Disney would need to legally need to define a difference. With the size of their own Legal team, it is sad that they cannot make a definitive distinction. As displayed on the sign, anyone that is a guest to the resort is welcome to use the pool.

Jon81uk

You cannot be labeled a trespasser because anyone is permitted as a guest as a resort. Disney would need to legally need to define a difference. With the size of their own Legal team, it is sad that they cannot make a definitive distinction. As displayed on the sign, anyone that is a guest to the resort is welcome to use the pool.

I would expect that a common assumption in hotel terms is "guest" means that you are registered with the hotel as a person who is staying in a room.
Also (not as relevant to this thread) when they have had a problem guest, such as smoking in their room or other antisocial behaviour, the sheriff will remove people who are now trespassing as they are no longer welcome as a guest and have been told to leave. I think you would have to get quite aggressive for the sheriff to be called, but it has happened.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom