Rumor Guest temp check at bag check?

rreading

So what should those of us do who obeyed the stay-at-home orders (I literally haven’t been out of my house since early March due to being at high-risk) and can't produce proof of "immunity?" Scientists aren't even sure how long antibodies can provide "immunity" as much is still unknown at this time.

I think having a rapid test that can show you are not positive before you board Magical Express (otherwise, you'll be onboard a bus with potential infectious persons) or at the resort/hotel you're staying at (and for those who are doing vacation rentals--see guest services upon initial arrival) to get your magic bands encoded.

If a positive test for IgG to the virus shows that someone has lasting immunity to the virus, then that test should not be that difficult to produce. It would not be a cheap test and not one done on the fly, which is why it would be useful for someone positive to have proof of the result

The problem with going if you're concerned about catching COVID is that they can't test each worker each day. Until there's a vaccine, someone at risk should not go to somewhere like WDW

DisneyCane

That's the current "rapid test." The screening isn't practical if that's the only sort of test available. But if a new, cheaper, faster, and less obtrusive test is made available, it might make sense for Disney to employ it as part of a screening system.

I'm not an expert on viral load testing but based on my understanding the RNA test to see if you currently have the virus can't be done in an instant, pregnancy test-like manner. The spit test Rutgers developed is certainly less obtrusive but it still needs to be processed by lab equipment.

Joel

That's the current "rapid test." The screening isn't practical if that's the only sort of test available. But if a new, cheaper, faster, and less obtrusive test is made available, it might make sense for Disney to employ it as part of a screening system.
Cheaper, faster, less obtrusive -- pick two. Or maybe just one.

Might as well hope for a test that also instantly cures anyone who's positive while you're at it.

_caleb

Cheaper, faster, less obtrusive -- pick two. Or maybe just one.

Might as well hope for a test that also instantly cures anyone who's positive while you're at it.
I started with ten, those are the three that I thought most possible. The ones I thought too much to ask for: accurate, easy to use/read, portable, shelf-stable, adaptable, anonymous, and safe for both subject and test administrator.

A cure would be great, too!

Calmdownnow

If I may, I'll re-post a contribution of a different thread which touches on this issue:

What do you do if someone fails a temp check at the front of the park? Do you deny them entry, but let the rest of their party in who may be pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic, but still infectious if COVID is what caused the guest's temp? If they fail the test, do you put them on a bus, monorail or boat back to their resort or car? Do you allow them to travel on that transport with other, unknown and unknowing guests? Do you bleach all surfaces on the transport they took to the park, if you can identify it, and on the transport they took away from the park? Do you immediately contact their hotel to alert them of a possible case requiring isolation? What about when they get back to their resort? Are resort staff alerted, with photo of individual denied entry to the park, so that they can be denied entry to pools, lounges, restaurants, communal areas, elevators etc, and so housekeeping responsible for servicing that person's room can be issued with PPE before entering the room?

Temp scans contribute very little to infection control if other steps are not taken to reduce the contact any "suspected" COVID individual has with other guests, staff, and surfaces following the temp. scan.

Edit: just to add "and track movement and contact before the temp. scan"

jensenrick

If I may, I'll re-post a contribution of a different thread which touches on this issue:

What do you do if someone fails a temp check at the front of the park? Do you deny them entry, but let the rest of their party in who may be pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic, but still infectious if COVID is what caused the guest's temp? If they fail the test, do you put them on a bus, monorail or boat back to their resort or car? Do you allow them to travel on that transport with other, unknown and unknowing guests? Do you bleach all surfaces on the transport they took to the park, if you can identify it, and on the transport they took away from the park? Do you immediately contact their hotel to alert them of a possible case requiring isolation? What about when they get back to their resort? Are resort staff alerted, with photo of individual denied entry to the park, so that they can be denied entry to pools, lounges, restaurants, communal areas, elevators etc, and so housekeeping responsible for servicing that person's room can be issued with PPE before entering the room?

Temp scans contribute very little to infection control if other steps are not taken to reduce the contact any "suspected" COVID individual has with other guests, staff, and surfaces following the temp. scan.

Edit: just to add "and track movement and contact before the temp. scan"
So basically, you don’t want temp scans, correct?

TrojanUSC

Said this elsewhere but there are several new studies show that it is actually the asymptomatic people who are the most infectious. Once you start presenting with symptoms its a sliding scale downward. Temperature checks sound lovely in theory but in reality they won't do much. Not to mention the reality is most people who have the kind of fever you get with COVID-19 have little interest in getting out of bed, let alone traipsing around a theme park in 95º heat.

Calmdownnow

I think temp scans are a starting point for a well-thought out plan for limiting infections, that involves immediate testing and complete isolation for those that test positive, combined with thorough contact tracing to identify those who may also be infected and contagious. I just don't think that Disney has any intention of doing any of those things in conjunction with local health authorities. Not to mention the problems of isolating any positive guests and their travel party within their hotel rooms -- you can't just send them home on a commercial flight. I think temp scans at park gates without a plan for what you do with the people who fail the scans just runs the risk of allowing the virus to spread throughout the resort.

_caleb

I think temp scans are a starting point for a well-thought out plan for limiting infections, that involves immediate testing and complete isolation for those that test positive, combined with thorough contact tracing to identify those who may also be infected and contagious. I just don't think that Disney has any intention of doing any of those things in conjunction with local health authorities. Not to mention the problems of isolating any positive guests and their travel party within their hotel rooms -- you can't just send them home on a commercial flight. I think temp scans at park gates without a plan for what you do with the people who fail the scans just runs the risk of allowing the virus to spread throughout the resort.
I’m sure they’re asking these same questions you are asking here. As long as capacity is limited (whether by the government, airlines, demand, or Disney itself), they have flexibility. They could isolate people/parties who fail screening in certain parts of resorts (or dedicate entire resorts to this). They could bring in a 3rd-party medical group to conduct screening. @WDW Pro says the reopening plan doesn’t include monorails and they’re looking for ways to fumigate parking trams.

P.S.- THANK YOU for mentioning that temp checks would only be one part of a comprehensive screening system!

Disstevefan1

I totally get the idea of wanting temp checks.

BUT

Say I am a local and live a short drive to the parks and they check my temp and I have a temp and they say I can’t go in, ok fine I get back Into my car and go home.

But what if I not a local, a family who flew from 1000 mikes away and who dropped 7K on a WDW vacation and they check my temp and say I can’t come in?

Maybe I do have a fever? But maybe it’s not COVID?
What’s a fever 99 degrees F?
If I get checked later and all is OK can I get in?
How accurate are the devices taking the temp?
I presume a symptomatic folks who have COVID go right in?

_caleb

Also, Disney is not only trying to address the Coronavirus outbreak. The pandemic has revealed a huge vulnerability in their business model. I’m sure they’re thinking beyond just COVID-19 and asking how they might mitigate the impact of outbreaks of all kinds in the future. Temp checks are effective at screening other types of contagious diseases.

I’m sure someone in the company is also trying to figure out how to fit distancing tape, plexiglass dividers, and periodic fumigation fog into the theme of each area of the parks and resorts...

monykalyn

I wonder how many people just wander around with an unchecked fever due to an illness? Generally you also feel bad, so what do you do? Pop some Tylenol. No more fever. What’s the point of temp checks again?

TrojanUSC

I wonder how many people just wander around with an unchecked fever due to an illness? Generally you also feel bad, so what do you do? Pop some Tylenol. No more fever. What’s the point of temp checks again?

Also, ignoring the massive amount of asymptomatic people (who it turns out are MORE contagious than those presenting symptoms), if you read first-hand accounts of people who have had the "mild" or "moderate" version of this illness, they can barely walk let alone traipse through a theme park.

thomas998

This comparison only makes sense if 50% of your locks flat out don't work. No, I don't want a lock that only works 50% of the time on my door.

The asymptomatic people spewing the virus everywhere would be a major problem in a theme park.
I think the asymptomatic people are going to be a big problem everywhere. Now that Jacksonville has opened their beaches it will be interesting to see if they have a spike in that area in about 1 to 2 weeks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom