Rumor Guest temp check at bag check?

_caleb

Are there any examples of these systems being used outdoors in similar climates?

Yes. Thermal camera temp checks are widely used around the world, both indoors and outdoors. They can be calibrated to take into account environmental and ambient temperatures, and the most accurate ones take measurements from around the subject's eyes.

In person, I've only seen them used in Singapore, Taiwan, and Korea. I've seen indoor setups where you walk under an array of cameras with monitors on either side showing realtime thermal imaging video. I've also seen several more temporary setups, which look more like just a camera on a tripod and an official monitoring the video. These portable systems are what I've seen used in outdoor shopping areas, security checkpoints, and outdoor concert venue entrance gates. I believe Disney uses a thermal temp check system in Shanghai.

Lilofan

Yes. Thermal camera temp checks are widely used around the world, both indoors and outdoors. They can be calibrated to take into account environmental and ambient temperatures, and the most accurate ones take measurements from around the subject's eyes.

In person, I've only seen them used in Singapore, Taiwan, and Korea. I've seen indoor setups where you walk under an array of cameras with monitors on either side showing realtime thermal imaging video. I've also seen several more temporary setups, which look more like just a camera on a tripod and an official monitoring the video. These portable systems are what I've seen used in outdoor shopping areas, security checkpoints, and outdoor concert venue entrance gates. I believe Disney uses a thermal temp check system in Shanghai.
I have not ridden Test Track at Epcot recently but isn't there a part of the ride that there are cameras that take a thermal imaging of you while you are seated in the ride vehicle? Thermal imaging like that?

_caleb

I have not ridden Test Track at Epcot recently but isn't there a part of the ride that there are cameras that take a thermal imaging of you while you are seated in the ride vehicle? Thermal imaging like that?
I think that was Test Track 1.0, but yes, it’s similar to that. Obviously it would be far more advanced than that, with high definition imaging.

monykalyn

The only thing they will think twice about is how much Tylenol or Motrin to bring.
I almost always pop Motrin in the morning as I know my legs and feet will hurt with all the walking by day 2 or 3, often will take another dose in afternoon as needed. I also have allergies/asthma and cough sometimes - we also need remember that EVERY sneeze or EVERY cough isn’t a harbinger of the next world pandemic. I’ve gone out very few times since all this started- and one reason (obviously not the only reason) is I’m more afraid of what people will do if I *heaven forbid* sneeze or cough because of an allergen!

Disstevefan1

I almost always pop Motrin in the morning as I know my legs and feet will hurt with all the walking by day 2 or 3, often will take another dose in afternoon as needed. I also have allergies/asthma and cough sometimes - we also need remember that EVERY sneeze or EVERY cough isn’t a harbinger of the next world pandemic. I’ve gone out very few times since all this started- and one reason (obviously not the only reason) is I’m more afraid of what people will do if I *heaven forbid* sneeze or cough because of an allergen!

Just to be safe, until COVID Is gone, stick to Tylenol....

phillip9698

I hear you. Twice during this pandemic my kids have given me a cold. So in order to not get ostracized at work I stay home. Im actually home right now hopped up on Alavert.

celluloid

I hear you. Twice during this pandemic my kids have given me a cold. So in order to not get ostracized at work I stay home. Im actually home right now hopped up on Alavert.

I hope you all get better. Another thing to think about with these bag checks. I also am not a fan of how people like to negatively police each other rather than helping.
My dad always said growing up that one of the kids were always sick for Christmas. Just the odds at any given moment, someone is sick with some thing and just not showing it yet.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

The article makes it clear there is no scientific evidence that ibuprofen is harmful if you have CV. It explained that that caution was based on just anecdotal evidence of just one physician which has never been verified anywhere else. WHO urged caution when it heard the report. And then walked back the caution when it turned out to be completely unsubstantiated. The CDC never warned against ibuprofen.

Meanwhile, the article mention that CV is associated with liver damage. You know what else, according to that article and common scientific knowledge, can be harmful to the liver? Acetaminophen (aka Paracetamol; brand name: Tylenol), which you just recommended. Whereas if you start to take too much of some medications, the side effects start to ramp up, with acetaminophen, OTOH, going slightly above recommended dosage can have severe harmful effects.

Let that also be a warning to everyone who has grand ideas abut hiding a CV fever by downing Tylenol. You could be paying for your Disney trip with your liver.

Disstevefan1

The article makes it clear there is no scientific evidence that ibuprofen is harmful if you have CV. It explained that that caution was based on just anecdotal evidence of just one physician which has never been verified anywhere else. WHO urged caution when it heard the report. And then walked back the caution when it turned out to be completely unsubstantiated. The CDC never warned against ibuprofen.

Meanwhile, the article mention that CV is associated with liver damage. You know what else, according to that article and common scientific knowledge, can be harmful to the liver? Acetaminophen (aka Paracetamol; brand name: Tylenol), which you just recommended. Whereas if you start to take too much of some medications, the side effects start to ramp up, with acetaminophen, OTOH, going slightly above recommended dosage can have severe harmful effects.

Let that also be a warning to everyone who has grand ideas abut hiding a CV fever by downing Tylenol. You could be paying for your Disney trip with your liver.

Absolutely True! Too many Tylenol at once will absolutely kill you! What ever the OTC drug, FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE BOTTLE!!!! Especially dosage, how many hours between doses, and max per 24 hour period etc.!!!!!!

DisneyCane

Absolutely True! Too many Tylenol at once will absolutely kill you! What ever the OTC drug, FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE BOTTLE!!!! Especially dosage, how many hours between doses, and max per 24 hour period etc.!!!!!!
Too much water at once will kill you. It would take quite the effort and become incredibly unpleasant but you can kill yourself drinking water.

Disstevefan1

Too much water at once will kill you. It would take quite the effort and become incredibly unpleasant but you can kill yourself drinking water.

Water intoxication is a real thing; too much water in a very short time will change blood chemistry and can lead to heart failure.

Tylenol will kill you if you take like 9 within an hour. It causes organ failure. Very dangerous.

NelleBelle

Water intoxication is a real thing; too much water in a very short time will change blood chemistry and can lead to heart failure.

Tylenol will kill you if you take like 9 within an hour. It causes organ failure. Very dangerous.
My DH had to be treated for hyponatremia (water intoxication) after he ran the Seattle marathon—very scary and glad they physician volunteers recognized it as the symptoms are quite similar to dehydration (and had they given him more fluids it would’ve been fatal)!
Also have seen people in the hospital who have OD’d on Tylenol and have totally ended up with some serious complications—not good!

_caleb

What does this fascinating little factoid have to do with the possibility of temp checks in Disney parks?

Calmdownnow

I also have allergies/asthma
In my country, if you had severe asthma you would have received a letter from the government in March instructing you to self-isolate for 12 weeks as you were deemed to be high risk. You would also have been contacted by an agency offering to arrange free food delivery if you needed it, to avoid you having to go to the retail outlet. Tele-health would have been available to you as part of the free health service, together with delivery of any medications.

I can tell you, that based on the advice from our govt, and the seriousness with which they are treating the need for those with pre-existing health conditions to avoid public contact for 12 weeks -- not 14 days or variants as expressed in the U.S. -- I wouldn't be even contemplating a WDW trip if you suffer from something like Asthma.

cjkeating

In my country, if you had severe asthma you would have received a letter from the government in March instructing you to self-isolate for 12 weeks as you were deemed to be high risk. You would also have been contacted by an agency offering to arrange free food delivery if you needed it, to avoid you having to go to the retail outlet. Tele-health would have been available to you as part of the free health service, together with delivery of any medications.

I can tell you, that based on the advice from our govt, and the seriousness with which they are treating the need for those with pre-existing health conditions to avoid public contact for 12 weeks -- not 14 days or variants as expressed in the U.S. -- I wouldn't be even contemplating a WDW trip if you suffer from something like Asthma.

You make a great point that I hadn't thought about in relation to WDW reopening.

If you have a pre-exisiting medical condition that is susceptible to COVID19 there is no reason why you should be visiting until their is a vaccine/herd immunity/it's all gone away.

drizgirl

Has anyone mentioned how a bag check would work? If they are checking your bag with the same set of gloves, belongings, touching strollers etc...the cross contimantiaton makes more trouble then maybe missing someone with a Fever.
No idea. But it's stuff like this (and thinking of the close quarters being lined up for bag check) that makes me think the parks will be closed a lot longer than some think.

I don't think Disney is interested in opening parks with only the number of guests that can be fit in while maintaining 6 foot distancing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom