Rumor Guest temp check at bag check?

TrojanUSC

Thermal cameras aren't accurate enough for a medical diagnosis, but good enough for an initial screening.

Those flagged by thermal cameras would then need an medical grade IR camera that is properly used. These cameras require proper distance, dry skin, and takes into account the ambient temperature. This would almost certainly be done indoors or under a tent. Wipe your brow first.

This would then flag people with real fevers who then become candidates for what will be hopefully just a 15 minute swab test.

Before a certain poster reiterates their concerns voiced in another thread: when you're out in public, you can be photographed and videographed and your conversations recorded. When you act it public, those public acts have no 'rights to privacy.' The same would be for the part of the light spectrum in the infrared range. If you don't want people to see what you look light in infrared, stop radiating heat when you're out in public!!

Disney already scans us for electromagnetic radiation with metal detectors and wands. They already go through our bags (which police can't unless they have cause or a warrant). They scan our finger print (yes, I know, for isometric readings only).

Disney can deny entry to anyone they want for whatever reason they want (except for a few protected classes, which doesn't give those protected classes carte blanche to ignore other reasonable barriers).

Or just let people in willy nilly even if they're coughing up a storm.

But to what end is all of this? There's a great number of asymptomatic carriers (either those who never get sick or who have not done so yet). These are the people we need to be worrying about.

If you read first-hand accounts of people who have had the "mild-to-moderate" version of this with the high fever, they can barely get out of bed, let alone a theme park.

The reality is that whatever they do will be 90% for show.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
But to what end is all of this? There's a great number of asymptomatic carriers (either those who never get sick or who have not done so yet). These are the people we need to be worrying about.

If you read first-hand accounts of people who have had the "mild-to-moderate" version of this with the high fever, they can barely get out of bed, let alone a theme park.

Reduction.

The asymptomatic are the invisible spreaders and they'll be around. But why have extra spreaders who are easily identified?

Add to this hand sanitizers everywhere and masks (you allow people to take off their mask to eat if they're 6 feet away from others), there is further reduction.

Until there are plentiful tests for those who are infectious and those who've had it and no longer are, it's all about reduction.

Can anything we do to reduce the spread be any more extreme than what we're doing right now?

Josh Hendy

Correct. The show is over however. It was a bit of theater put on for the authorities who decided whether to buy Disney bonds, and the rating agencies who decided if they should be rated AA or junk.

Checking guests' temperatures is a ridiculous idea for the reasons you gave. But in order to get the bailout loan at somewhat reduced rates, it was necessary for Disney to pretend that they actually have a hope of being profitable in an economy where it's the 2nd, 3rd wave of the pandemic and still no vaccine.

I assume that the sports, theater, cruise ship etc. industries put on the same dog and thermometer show when they floated their bonds.

_caleb

Correct. The show is over however. It was a bit of theater put on for the authorities who decided whether to buy Disney bonds, and the rating agencies who decided if they should be rated AA or junk.

Checking guests' temperatures is a ridiculous idea for the reasons you gave. But in order to get the bailout loan at somewhat reduced rates, it was necessary for Disney to pretend that they actually have a hope of being profitable in an economy where it's the 2nd, 3rd wave of the pandemic and still no vaccine.

I assume that the sports, theater, cruise ship etc. industries put on the same dog and thermometer show when they floated their bonds.
If temp checks are just theater, why are they usually installed and operated discretely?

I get what you're saying about Bob just posturing for investors, but it also seems like a pretty risky move to essentially admit that Disney parks are a huge public health risk unless they add measures such as temp checks and make other permanent changes to operations? This basically puts Disney on the hook to spend a lot of money and make major changes before they reopen, regardless of what the public health officials mandate.

zengoth

Can anything we do to reduce the spread be any more extreme than what we're doing right now?
Lockdown may feel like quarantine at times, but actual quarantine would be much worse - as in, not being allowed to leave your house and relying on the "american cheese product" loaves to show up on your doorstep once a day. I watch too much dystopia for entertainment, sure, but I think it could be much worse and our freedoms could be much more controlled. The powers-that-be are hoping our better angels will do the right thing before other "steps" are invoked.

John park hopper

Classic case of an asymptomatic carrier of typhoid fever was Typhoid Mary who infected 51 people and resulted in the death of 3 at the time there was no cure for bacterial infections just like now asymptomatic carries can infect many others just like then there is no cure for this virus. Asymptomatic careers should not be taken lightly. I'll stay far away from WDW until this is completely under control.

phillip9698

If you don't like temp checks and plan on defeating them with ice packs and aspirin, how ya gonna defeat the clean bill of health app?

Americans defeat that with cries of deep state surveillance, martial law, my freedoms, the founding fathers, etc ...

rreading

If contracting the virus confers lasting immunity (general thought is yes but not yet certain), then a blood test showing immunity should allow someone to participate in the world fully again.

If this insanity doesn’t abate, then we need to produce certification of immunity; then those immune can staff/attend the parks (and rest of the world) without worrying others.

HauntedMansionFLA

That's a monumental task. I know some employees need a doctor's note if the staff is out "X" number of days out from work.
Not as monumental as screening of the park guests coming in.
You see a lot of cast members working while they are sick. Disney would be open for a lawsuit if guests start getting sick after being screened but catch the “virus “ in the park.

thomas998

I saw yesterday that Bob Iger suggested that maybe there will be temp checks at bag check.

I wouldn't be opposed to it however... I started thinking aobut it and couldn't there be a lot of false positive fevers especially in the summer?
Sweat rolls down my back between my room and the bus and my skin often feels hot to the touch in the summer.
I also wear a baseball cap which i'm guessing makes my forehead hot.
I never really thought aobut how this could effect what my temp says but I wonder if it would be high just from being hot.
It won't just be false positives that will be the problem you will also have lots of missed positives. My normal temp is just under 97 degrees, when I had the virus my fever never went past 99.4, so unless you know the normal temp of a person you will not be able to tell if someone really has a fever or not. And as long as I took tylenol I could have dropped my temp low enough to look completely normal but my cough would have still been spewing viruses like a chimney.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It won't just be false positives that will be the problem you will also have lots of missed positives. My normal temp is just under 97 degrees, when I had the virus my fever never went past 99.4, so unless you know the normal temp of a person you will not be able to tell if someone really has a fever or not. And as long as I took tylenol I could have dropped my temp low enough to look completely normal but my cough would have still been spewing viruses like a chimney.

This is like saying that since locks can be defeated, we shouldn't have locks on our doors. Locks are just security theater!

Nothing's perfect. Can't let perfection be the enemy of the good.

Oddysey

I do not like the way the virus is shaping our future as a society. I am not saying that said precautions are not necessary because they most probably are, but I doesn't mean that I have to like it.

Last edited:

thomas998

This is like saying that since locks can be defeated, we shouldn't have locks on our doors. Locks are just security theater!

Nothing's perfect. Can't let perfection be the enemy of the good.
Have you ever seen a locked car keep a thief that wants to breakin out? Locks only keep the honest ones out and that's not who I worry about. I never lock my car because it's a convertible and if you lock it the bad guys will just cut the top and do more damage, better to just never leave anything of value in it.

peter11435

Have you ever seen a locked car keep a thief that wants to breakin out? Locks only keep the honest ones out and that's not who I worry about. I never lock my car because it's a convertible and if you lock it the bad guys will just cut the top and do more damage, better to just never leave anything of value in it.
Right over your head

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom