Guest Service? Sometimes... sometimes not...

Invero

Original Poster
Originally posted by niteobsrvr
Remember when you hired on at Disney and you agreed not to SPOIL the Magic? Part of that means not complaining to guests about your job or your visits to the park as a tourist.
Okay... first off... please show me where I am complaining about my job... because last I checked... I love my job. Just ask ANY of my friends, my coworkers, managers, coordinators, or my guests. They all know I love my job because it SHOWS in my job performance. I love Disney, and I love my job. Period. Please refrain from putting words in my mouth in the future... Newspaper reporters do that enough for all of us.

Secondly... if you had truly read my post... you would see that I really wasn't "complaining"... I had a few issues and concerns that I mentioned, but for the most part, I was saying how much we enjoyed Boma, Spoodles, Illuminations, DAK, Cirque du Soleil, and how a manager helped me out with a situation at the All Stars.

Third... I do *NOT* spoil the magic. I very much believe in the power of Disney Magic... So if I don't spoil it, then what DO I do with it? I put it in motion. Ride my bus one morning... See how my guests are laughing, cheering, singing, and having fun. Watch how they give me a round of applause when we arrive to the destination, and each one of them thanks me as they exit the bus. I've had many guests tell me that they've truly enjoyed my ride, whether it be for my "creation of magic" or for the smoothest ride they've had in the two weeks they've been there. So don't tell me I spoil the magic... I CREATE IT.

Don't expect things for free that weren't defective.
I don't expect things free if they aren't defective. I simply stated that the server told us that our meal was free, meaning my mother and myself. I know it's not her fault for her manager's mis-communication... and I didn't mind paying for my meal at all (which if you had read my post, you would know). In fact, I made sure to go back and leave our server an extra tip, because she was so nice.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Remember when you hired on at Disney and you agreed not to SPOIL the Magic? Part of that means not complaining to guests about your job or your visits to the park as a tourist.

ok.. I don't care WHO you are, I've told this before to my management, and they've agreed, so if you are a manager, tough!

The second I spend ONE CENT at WDW, that makes me a paying guest. Thus entitling me all the benefits awarded to everyone who had a ticket, and not a cast ID, to get in the park.

Don't expect things for free that weren't defective.

if you're in the park, you're off the clock, and you're spending YOUR money, you're a guest. As a global entertainment trainer, a CM who has been in supervisory positions in the past, and a former Guest Relations CM, I can tell you that as a fact, and not as a myth.

Finally, judging by the complete post of yours, I'll guess you're in some type of leardership role. I have no clue how you manage to keep your position with that sort of negative attitude... hopefully that post was just your release from the WDW pressure, and nothing more. But if that's how you operate on a day to day basis, I truly do not ever wish to work in your department. Oh, and go ahead and send a copy of this to entertainment management. I know WDW, Corporate, and WDE SOG'S and I know I've done NOTHING wrong. No proprietary information has been posted, and this post is mostly opinion or facts that were previously known.

niteobsrvr

I expect professionalism from everyone on the clock or off, salaried or hourly, executive or line employee. Nothing more and nothing less.

If you have a problem as a guest or as a cast member, you should deal with that problem through the appropriate channels. There is no need to share your situation with other guests or cast members prior to or after reaching resolution. This type of behavior will not solve your problem. It only makes your situation worse.

You also should not expect better treatment , for yourself or your family, as a Cast Member who is visiting the parks, than any other guest would recieve.

Finally, as for my management skills, please see the first two lines of this post. You can have fun at your job and meet the goal of professionalism. You can be a cast member visiting the park and be professional also.

The important thing here is to realize that there are plenty of people out there who criticize Disney, not because of really bad service, but because of their own over-inflated expectations. As a cast member, part of the great service comes from how you present yourself. If you Identify yourself as a cast member on these boards and elsewhere besides WDW property, it is your responsibility to act accordingly. By doing this you are helping build a future for yourself and the company.

There is also a difference between a negative attitude and professionalism. A negative attitude is "service with a smile and gripe backstage". Professionalism is "service with a smile".

The following quote which appears on my messages pretty much sums my point up.
Every person, all the events of your life, are there because you have drawn them there.
What you choose to do with them is up to you.

Choose wisely and make your life great!

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
funny.. I thought this was the forum to post TRIP REPORTS! Which is exactly what Tyler did. I'll still assume you're in management, and what's funny is, when off the clock, a manager has NO SAY over what a CM does. All you're doing is making him feel bad for no reason.

Plus, as a guest, when I complain about poor treatment, I get laughed at in the face, because I'm a CM. This is just getting my just desserts. I spend as much money, if not more, than the average guest does. I just don't buy a ticket and get a discount on merchandise and food. If the $1200 I spent the last time I went to the parks as a guest doesn't qualify me as a paying guest, then I'll go and hand in my resignation now, and go buy an AP.

TURKEY

Niteobsrv, don't get mad, but I'm directing this at you. I just don't get how you see things and would like a better explanation.

Don't expect things for free that weren't defective. What if Disney deducted your pay every time one guest on your bus out of 50 thought the ride was bad do to your error?

There's a little bit of a difference between a "bad" bus ride and finding METAL (head of a screw) in a salad.

Based on what the server said, it sounds like everything would be comped. I think Tyler was just disapointed in not having everything comped.

You also should not expect better treatment , for yourself or your family, as a Cast Member who is visiting the parks, than any other guest would recieve.

I don't know where you work, but you've never expected better treatment at your work location when you visit there?

There is also a difference between a negative attitude and professionalism. A negative attitude is "service with a smile and gripe backstage". Professionalism is "service with a smile".

You have NEVER had a bad thing to say about Disney? Not even to a family member? The whole world is BACKSTAGE, even to those that don't know you aren't a CM.

You expect professionalism "on the clock and off". Again, are you professional in everything you do off the clock?

Finally, what would your response be if a GUEST (non-CM) complained about not getting directions to a room or finding metal in food?

If a guest asks you what your favorite restaurant is on property, do you say all of them are excellent? Surely, you have a favorite one.

I expect CM to tell the truth when it comes to advise. Tell the truth about what you like and dislike and why. I didn't like Tony's Town Square because there isn't much on the menu I like. I would tell a guest that. It's nothing against Disney. JUST THE TRUTH.

That is all Tyler is doing here. TELLING THE TRUTH. He's explaining why he didn't like some things. Would it upset you if his mom posted the same thing about finding metal in food or being disappointed in not having baggage carriers or not being told where a room was at ASMu?

Like its been said on here before, this board isn't coated in pixie-dust. It's a realistic board with the POSITIVES and NEGATIVES. You're getting worked up just because someone pointed out the negatives.

Smitty

I agree that I don't like Cast Member's complaining while they are on the clock. I think we all agree with that! But the first thing I learned was that when I am in the parks, resorts or elsewhere and not on the the clock, I am a GUEST! I shouldn't expect anything special to be done for me, but I should expect to get everything that I deserve as a guest! Tyler was right in complaining about the bad service. I hesitate to even use the word complaining. He was just commenting on it. There was nothing wrong with what he said and the overwhelming majority of his post was positive! It read to me the same as it would have sounded if he we were sitting down and talking. CM's all over WDW know that there are several things that I am sure we all dislike about WDW. When we are acting as guests we have every right to get upset about things that bother us.

Also, to me, the message that is being sent is that CM's shouldn't comment on anything. I'll be honest with you, when I was on the clock or off it, when a guest asked me about something I gave them an honest opinion. I told them if I liked something or if I didn't. I think that the majority of guests appreciate honesty, whether your opinion about something is negative or positive. Just my thoughts. You all should know I can't pass up a contorversial topic like this one! :eek:)

LoriL

I was at WDW from 4/27-5/5 and I stayed at the Polynesian. I experienced many of the same types of problems that are being discussed here. The interesting thing is that, when I did what niteobserver suggests (contacted management at the hotel) I got no response. This is very different than the Disney service I had experienced on prior visits. It seemed to me that much of the problem is caused by cast members who may be new who have not had the same training that they used to get-- I really don't have any other explanation for it. Let me be more specific:

Before leaving for WDW, I wrote an email to Disney to express my dismay over the elimination of early entry to resort guests, combined with shortened park hours and the cancellation (the week before our trip) of e-ride nights in April and May. I got no response. The night before my trip, I received a telephone automated message saying that someone at Disney would be contacting me. That follow-up never occured, which surprised me. The tone of my email was very professional, not confrontational.

At the Polynesian, I experienced the same discourtesy from the maid described in one of the above posts. Even with a "Privacy Please" sign on the door, she wanted to come in to clean the room. We leave early (we have a 2 year old who is usually up at 6am), but not always by 8am. One day, my parents (who were staying in a connecting room) came back with our son at 1:30 for a nap and our room was still not cleaned, although theirs had been. That day, we were out at 7:30. They called the front desk, and eventually they came to clean the room, but the response was not professional and courteous. We were treated like we were a pain in the neck for asking them to clean the room! We had also requested turndown service. The first night, it never happened. The second day I reminded the front desk about the request, but still no turndown service that evening. The third night, the maid came at 5:15 to do the turndown service. We were in the middle of showering and getting ready to go to dinner (one of the points of turndown service is to get fresh towels for the morning). When I asked her if she could come back in a half hour, she complained that she had a lot of rooms to do in other buildings and she couldn't come back; it was now or never. I took the clean towels from her and she left without doing anything (except complaining). I called the front desk and told them what had happened and asked them if it was possible to have a later turndown service. The cast member who answered by call was rather brusque and seemed annoyed by my call-- as if I was bothering him. In the end, out of EIGHT nights at the Polynesian, we received turndown service ( the way they are supposed to do it-- empty the trash cans, fresh towels in the bathroom, bedspreads removed and beds turned down) only one night. Maybe I am wrong, but I remember this service being done without having to request it when I have stayed there before. It's clear they would rather not have guests ask for it, but at these prices it does not seem unreasonable to expect good service. Our room was kept quite clean, but the attitudes of the maids could certainly stand to be improved. This was never a problem in the past. (And I left a $5 tip every day, also-- not that that should make a difference.) The whimsy I experienced in the past-- maids making animals out of towels and arranging toys to delight children-- was completely absent.

I have to say that I was also surprised to find that the towels were so small that they didn't wrap around my body (I am under 5'3" and I weigh 110 pounds). I stayed at a moderate resort once and found a big difference in the towels (having only stayed at deluxe resorts before) but now it seems the deluxe resorts have also cut back here. And the down pillows of the past have morphed into the most uncomfortable thick foam pillows I've ever found in a hotel. Feather pillows were available "upon request" but I had to call two times to ask for them, and finally got them delivered after 11pm.

Lastly, I overheard many CM's at the front desk of our hotel and at the Animal Kingdom Lodge explaining that e-ride nights compensate for shorter park hours, but e-ride nights had been cancelled! And two times, other CM's behind the counters had no idea what e-ride nights were. I was shocked about all this misinformation. Even the printed park hours for the week were wrong-- park hours had been extended one night (a good thing they should have been telling everyone about). I found out about it online, but it took the concierge three calls to confirm them.

Despite the above, we had a great vacation. There is still no place like Disney to take children on vacation. But the new standards in service are dispiriting. Of course I don't expect everyone to be perfect. But Disney was the one place, it seemed, where everyone was friendly and nice and service was excellent. And we are all willing to pay more to stay there (let's face it, the hotel rates are NOT competitive) because of the convenience and service. But when the servie disappears or lessens, it's hard to justify spending all that money for it. Park CM's were all great. Every waitress or waiter we had all week was great. Most of the problems seem to be at the hotels. The only other surly CM we encountered was on the monorail (sorry, Tyler!). We asked (only once!) if my son could ride in the first car, and there was almost no one there. The CM at the hotel was very nice, but the monorail conductor looked grim when he heard about it and he never spoke a word to my son or my husband (I rode in the next car with the stroller) the entire trip!

The reason to post these things here, to respond again to niteobserver, is because we are all people who care about WDW-- we're your best customers. You should care about what we think, and you should be concerned when we observe changes that might affect our vacation decisons, and therefore have an impact on your bottom line. This board is so that people can find out honest answers to their questions, find which hotels are best for which reasons, which restaurants you should try and why, etc. Most posts are not complaining-- but when customers DO complain you should answer the complaints and not chide us for making them (which is EXACTLY how the CM's at our hotel made us feel, by the way). Cast members who become guests for a time are the best source of information, because they know how things are supposed to work.

TURKEY

The night before my trip, I received a telephone automated message saying that someone at Disney would be contacting me. That follow-up never occured, which surprised me. The tone of my email was very professional, not confrontational.

They may have tried to contact you while on vacation. They might not try back. Not saying this is what happened, but it is possible.

Even with a "Privacy Please" sign on the door, she wanted to come in to clean the room.

Was the sign still there? I've left my sign out and had it disappear by morning.

The whimsy I experienced in the past-- maids making animals out of towels and arranging toys to delight children-- was completely absent.

I knew several housekeeping people that could make animals. They tried to teach me. I couldn't do it. I don?t think making animals is part of training, so everyone doesn't know how to do it well enough to leave it. I know how to do it, my animals just don't turn out very good.

The third night, the maid came at 5:15 to do the turndown service.

I hate to say it, but someone has to be first. I don't know how many people do it, but with only a few people doing turndown then it takes longer and starts earlier. Maids have to stay on schedule. I'm sure lots of people request for them to come back at a later time. They can't show preferred treatment to certain people or come back when the guest is ready.

I'm only trying to provide some reasons for why some things might have been the way they were. I really hate it when I heard guests tell me something that was wrong with their stay. I always tried my best to make sure my guests walked away from my work area happy and pleased with what they got.

Invero

Original Poster
I expect professionalism from everyone on the clock or off, salaried or hourly, executive or line employee. Nothing more and nothing less.
For me... I am always professional in how I act, especially when I am on the clock. Professional to me means that I provide excellent guest service to our guests by following the seven guest service guidelines. In addition to that, in addition to that, while on the clock, I do tend to sugar coat some things, but I do remain honest at all times. (However, at no point do I show a negative attitude) However, when I am off the clock, on my own free time... I do remain professional... however, I do tend to be a bit more honest, and not sugar coat my posts.

If you have a problem as a guest or as a cast member, you should deal with that problem through the appropriate channels. There is no need to share your situation with other guests or cast members prior to or after reaching resolution. This type of behavior will not solve your problem. It only makes your situation worse.
Once again... please read my post instead of skimming it. I did deal with these situations through the appropriate channels, and in fact, both times, I was dissapointed with the results. And, as for no need to share my situation... personally... I disagree. As a guest, I find it helpful to know the pro's and con's of something before I plunk down a considerable amount of money. For example, a guest making a reservation at the All-Stars might now know ahead of time that there are no bell services, so they might know to request a room close to the main building, or to expect a small walk. This will help avoid an unhappy guest at time of checkin.

By the way, just so you know... I often hesitate to let people know that I am a cast member when visiting the parks. Why? Because often times, I get LESS guest service because I am a cast member. They think, "Oh, he's a cast member, I don't need to help him..."

The important thing here is to realize that there are plenty of people out there who criticize Disney, not because of really bad service, but because of their own over-inflated expectations. As a cast member, part of the great service comes from how you present yourself.
See, personally... I think you're wrong here. Unfortunetly, Disney is not perfect, and sometimes there are times when a guest might recieve bad service, as LoriL did. Hate to say it... but it's true, and we all know it. I don't think the majority of these guests had "over inflated expectations." I think they just expected typical Disney Magic... and they were let down, when the magic never appeared. You are however right when you say "Great service comes from how you present yourself" but unfortunetly, there are cast members out there who lack in that skill, as LoriL and Rehabilitated mentioned with the houskeeping cast members they encountered.

I'm an avid reader of the Main Street Diary... I read it every chance I get, and truly enjoy the letters that guests write in, explaining how the excellent guest service Disney provided made thier vacation one to remember thier entire life. Isn't that ultimatly our purpose? To create a vacation of a lifetime? Here at Disney... WE set the standards for excellent guest service. Why? Because, in my opinion, WE ARE THE BEST. And I know I am not alone in that thought. BUT... it is very important that we live up to that expectation... and I don't think it's an over inflated, or an out of reach expectation.

If you Identify yourself as a cast member on these boards and elsewhere besides WDW property, it is your responsibility to act accordingly.
I do identify myself as a cast member on these boards, and because of this, I've been able to answer many guest questions and provide "guest service" even outside of the park, and off the clock. But also... most importantly, and ABOVE Disney... I am a human being. I am a person.

LoriL

Thanks for your considered response, Turkey Leg Boy. What you say is all true-- and any of the incidents I mentioned, taken alone, wouldn't even be worth mentioning. But altogether, a pattern results. And this pattern is different than in the past, which is all I am really trying to say. I would have to guess that Disney receives many more complaints today than they used to, and there are probably many reasons for that. I don't think the problem is the over-expectation of guests. In fact, niteobsrv should realize that turned on its head, his comment really means that people have come to expect a lot from Disney. That they continue to expect a lot should be flattering to him, not annoying!

And Fantasia: keep up the good work! I am always interested in your comments! I think you are a very fair observer.

The Mom

Premium Member
I must be leading a charmed life, but I've stayed in everything from Motel 6 to The Ritz-Carlton, and have NEVER had a maid tell me it's clean your room now, or it won't get done!! (It may be because of "The Look" that a really effective Mom has developed....you kids know the one I mean! )

Granted, I usually try to find the maid as I'm leaving in the morning, and tell her "I'm Mrs H in room 111 and I'm leaving now. I expect to be back at whenever." I also would not expect the maid to come back if I returned early and interrupted her cleaning...I usually just go for a walk or something until she's finished.

I would consider anything before 7PM to be too early for "turn down" service. If they DID have to start early, a request to come back AFTER you've gone out for the evening is not unreasonable!

;) ;) ;)

wannabeBelle

Sorry Nite but I have to agree with Tyler here, His post was informative and for the most part very positive. I actually experienced the same exact thing at ASMu so I know exactly what he was talking about!!!!my only comment on this whole post is thank God for honest CM's!!!I have had so many good experiences and avoided a few that might not have been so pleasant to me personally because of the knowledge and communication of the CM's. For example I am terrified of bugs, to the point of hysteria practically. After chatting with a very nice CM outside of the Its Tough to Be a Bug attraction I surmised (Correctly!!) that this wasnt for me!! not that others wouldnt enjoy it but that for me Personally it wouldnt be fun!! I was grateful that they didnt candy coat the attraction or I wouldve had a very unpleasant time in an attraction that seems most people like!! Hey Tyler next time give he Moderates a try!! They do have bell service for all guests and I have found them to be excellent for my own tastes!! P.S. Hope to run into you when I am visiting!!! 5 days and counting until P.O. Riverside!!!

Invero

Original Poster
Originally posted by LoriL
And Fantasia: keep up the good work! I am always interested in your comments! I think you are a very fair observer.

hehe, thanks :) Like my signature says... I may work for a fantasy world... but I don't live there... I live in the real world... and real-world comments is what we need. :)

The Mom

Premium Member
BTW, do WDW employees give up their Constitutional right to free speech off the clock? In reading through Tyler's posts, I've not seen him complain about his employment. In this particular post, he made it very clear that he was not working, and was a guest. He did not betray any confidentiality, nor did he speak in a disrespectful way about a particular cast member...he simply stated the facts.

I would share many of his expectations, and certainly did not consider any of them unrealistic! (neither were Loril's)

As a frequent WDW guest (who drops BIG BUCKS when I visit) I would be appalled to discover that Disney management screens internet discussion forums searching for "errant" CMs, and that comments made here could affect an employees job!

Invero

Original Poster
Originally posted by wannabeBelle
Hey Tyler next time give he Moderates a try!! They do have bell service for all guests and I have found them to be excellent for my own tastes!! P.S. Hope to run into you when I am visiting!!! 5 days and counting until P.O. Riverside!!!

I tried to get my mother into Port Orleans, Caribbean Beach, or Coronado... but alas, all the cast discounted rooms were unavailable... so instead I opted for AKLodge... but my mother didn't want to spend all that money just for her, so she changed it to ASMu... She actually liked it... went around on her morning walks taking pictures of all the icons to go home and show her friends... She knew not to expect any of the amenities of the Grand Floridian (which is where I had them stay last year... I really spoil my parents... lol), so she was content... after all... all she wanted was a bed, shower, and a pool. The pool next to her building was very quiet, so it was perfect for her... (the other pool however was super busy, so I guess she lucked out)

Invero

Original Poster
Thanks, The Mom :)

By the way... Happy Mother's Day to you... and FigmentMom... and all the other Mom's we have on here :)

TURKEY

Originally posted by LoriL
Thanks for your considered response, Turkey Leg Boy. What you say is all true-- and any of the incidents I mentioned, taken alone, wouldn't even be worth mentioning. But altogether, a pattern results. And this pattern is different than in the past, which is all I am really trying to say. I would have to guess that Disney receives many more complaints today than they used to, and there are probably many reasons for that.

Interesting point.

I'd love to conduct a study to see on what kind of a relationship the increase in number of complaints (if records are kept) and the increasing size of WDW has.

Too bad, I don't have the time, money, or other resources I would need to conduct a study like this.

north

all star

I agree that you get what you pay for but there should be an effort. I have stayed at the All Stars everytime I visited the parks and never had a really bad experience.

My worst arrival was after traveling for 20 hours from Anchorage, Alaska was checking in and the CM gave me the map to the room. Well she gave us directions to the wrong room on the opposite side of where our room was actually located. Okay it was a human error but when you are carrying luggage around those builidng and not really knowing where you are going it does get you a little upset. Well at the time I was more than a little upset. I called the front desk to complain not wanting anything more than apology and left it behind us to start our Disney vacation.

The rest of the trip was great. The all stars are a great value. They are clean and easy to get to. The parking is close to your room.

I am looking forward to this year since we are going deluxe and staying at the Wilderness lodge.

It is nice to hear a CM view on his trip. I did not find him taking away from the magic at all.

Thanks

mej

Tyler, I love to read your comments. To my mind, you have a great balance between pixie dust and honesty! I respect your opinions - which you have backed up with evidence and look forward to reading more (and possibly even having you as my monorail pilot in July!)

DisneyPhD

Personally I needed the warning. It never would of even occured to me that ASM does not have bell services and we never rent a car. It is good to be prepared.

If anyone with power at WDW is in fact monitoring this board it should be to find out what is wrong and fix it. Not to punish people for having an less then perfect experince and sharing it with others. If WDW did not have the best service then I would not be so loyal to it and hope they are able to continue the magic in these difficult times for companies. If they want to continue to be number one they need to fix any problems that arise.

It is very disapointing to have a less then perfect experince at WDW because that is where we expect it to be magical and spend our money there instead of other places.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom