Guest Names Public information

Timekeeper

Most of us just feel that the name on the pass doesn't increase our chances of being a crime victim enough to worry about it. I would be much more concerned about my safety when entering/leaving my room than I would be about having my name on a parking pass in a lot with thousands of cars, many with a similar parking pass.

Okay, but why increase one's chances at all? :shrug:

Some people prefer to sanitize their hands before eating. The "chances" of them facing peril if they don't sanitize their hands is probably not going to happen over 99% of the time. But they still do it anyway. What's wrong with acknowledging a - albeit unlikely - consequence and seeking to avoid it? Hmmm, maybe that's why Purell named their product Purell, to remind consumers of the peril that awaits if we don't eliminate 99.9% of the germs on our hands.

goofysgurl

After reading all the responses about paranoia and OCD, etc. While I don't see it as a potential problem I also don't understand why anyone's name would need to be on the pass. For those staying at a resort just put "Guest" and the dates someone will be staying there. It seems unnecessary for anything else.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
After reading all the responses about paranoia and OCD, etc. While I don't see it as a potential problem I also don't understand why anyone's name would need to be on the pass. For those staying at a resort just put "Guest" and the dates someone will be staying there. It seems unnecessary for anything else.

The name is there for verification that the user is in fact the guest it was issued to. I've often seen guards at resort gates ask for photo ID for guests from other resorts.

lt94

Original Poster
sorry for misunderstanding on link,paste link open link scroll down to area or district put in 61 this will open the page for Disney

http://www.ocso.com/CrimeInformation/tabid/122/Default.aspx

The Mom

Premium Member
There are more auto burglaries/stolen cars in my police zone at home (the website listed 21 since July at WDW), so going to WDW and having a pass, even with my name on it on my dash would actually decrease my chances of being a crime victim. And it was interesting to see that there were no violent crimes - mostly people breaking into cars to steal stuff, which wouldn't be affected by having your name on a parking pass. Except to let them know that you're a tourist - but so are most of the people parked around you.

And I rarely, if ever, use Purell (for pure, btw) except when I'm forced to use a porta - john, or my water is off for some reason. If it is convenient to wash my hands before I eat, I will use good old fashioned soap and water. But I've been known to just chow down without any bad results. Just living on the edge, I guess. ;)

Larry Mondello

sorry for misunderstanding on link,paste link open link scroll down to area or district put in 61 this will open the page for Disney

http://www.ocso.com/CrimeInformation/tabid/122/Default.aspx

Plugging in some of those addresses into google maps shows streets that the general public does not have access to. i.e. 1320 AVENUE OF THE STARS is fully contained within EPCOT and W TOPIARY LN is contained in the Magic Kingdom.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I'm conflicted on this one.

My name is uncommon enough in the US (12 people with my same first name/last name, none with the same middle name) that if someone knows me and sees my name on the permit, they'll know it's me.

Unfortunately, there's 2 people with the same name, and 1 with a different but very similar name and similar physical description that have had legal trouble in Orange County (1 felony warrant, 1 misdemeanor presently on trial, and 1 foreclosure/tax evasion/bench warrant for failure to appear), and if a deputy sees it, I could find myself getting questioned. I already get flagged every time I return to US soil from abroad for additional questioning pertaining to "certain criminal charges" that belong to one of my namesakes, and during a traffic stop for speeding on Disney Property, I found myself handcuffed while the officer verified that I was not the same person as the person with a similar name that has a felony warrant.

Here in PR, a fourth namesake is presently in prison for dumping his toddler in a garbage dumpster while buying cocaine, and a fifth is a corrupt former politician.

Needless to say, I hide my full name outside of professional purposes and official documents. Especially while in Orange County, FL.

Timekeeper

... Needless to say, I hide my full name outside of professional purposes and official documents. ...

And I completely support your personal preference to do so. :)

The thing that caught me off guard in this thread were the posts that criticized others for raising and eyebrow to (potentially) full name identifications affixed to motor vehicles. Terms like "paranoia" and "OCD" were thrown around, which I find a bit extreme with respect to an individual's preference to, as you suggested, "hide [their] full name outside of professional purposes and official documents." Of course, your situation appears rather unique, but we should still respect the similar preferences of others.

alawrence

Okay. This is one thing that I am missing in this conversation/argument.

It is obviously a big deal to put your name on a parking pass at WDW. Or so many in this forum think.

However, go through the same parking lot, at the very same park and count the stickers on the back windows of vehicles that have a little football with the name Johnny, or the cheer leading megaphone with the name Jane on it. Directly above the "My Child Is An Honor Student" sticker with the name of your child's school on it.

Really??? You are worried about your name being on a parking permit?

How many people on this site are publicly and proudly advertising your child's name and school they attend on the back of your vehicle?

Which seems more dangerous? Hmm...

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Okay. This is one thing that I am missing in this conversation/argument.

It is obviously a big deal to put your name on a parking pass at WDW. Or so many in this forum think.

However, go through the same parking lot, at the very same park and count the stickers on the back windows of vehicles that have a little football with the name Johnny, or the cheer leading megaphone with the name Jane on it. Directly above the "My Child Is An Honor Student" sticker with the name of your child's school on it.

Really??? You are worried about your name being on a parking permit?

How many people on this site are publicly and proudly advertising your child's name and school they attend on the back of your vehicle?

Which seems more dangerous? Hmm...

Or the memorial on the back window:

"in loving memory of Joe Smith".

Which I don't understand. Dedicating you car to the memory of a loved one :shrug:

Timekeeper

That's exactly the point here. Those people (with the bumper stickers or window chalk) adorned their vehicle with that information voluntarily. It was their personal preference to do so. With resort tags, however, the decision (to print the guest info) is being made by Disney involuntarily. Yes, guests can leave it up, stash it away, whatever. But what if a guest were required to display it, or, under the impression that they were required to display it?

Everyone has a personal preference as to the extent and necessity of their name being published. How many "screen names" on this forum are the actual-legal name of the individual? I don't think that I've seen even one. Of course, if someone wanted to do so, that's their choice. If someone else does it for them, then choice is taken out of the equation. And that is what is raising eyebrows.

The Mom

Premium Member
That's exactly the point here. Those people (with the bumper stickers or window chalk) adorned their vehicle with that information voluntarily. It was their personal preference to do so. With resort tags, however, the decision (to print the guest info) is being made by Disney involuntarily. Yes, guests can leave it up, stash it away, whatever. But what if a guest were required to display it, or, under the impression that they were required to display it?

Everyone has a personal preference as to the extent and necessity of their name being published. How many "screen names" on this forum are the actual-legal name of the individual? I don't think that I've seen even one. Of course, if someone wanted to do so, that's their choice. If someone else does it for them, then choice is taken out of the equation. And that is what is raising eyebrows.

That I will agree with. There should be a choice - perhaps telling the guest that if the full name (and I don't see why just a last name isn't enough) is not written, an ID will have to be shown to verify that you are the guest who was given a pass.

I'm not saying that I agree with the policy, just that it doesn't worry me.

alawrence

Oh my gosh. Do you know what I just realized??? My name and where I work is published on my business cards AND on my email signature. I hope no one goes through my car or vandalizes it while I am at work...

That means people will know my name and where my car is parked, AND where I am Monday-Friday. That is even worse than my name being on a parking permit at WDW where there are hundreds of thousands of people.

What am I going to do!!!

Way too big of a deal made about this. If there were a security or privacy issue, I am sure that someone at Disney legal would have said "Hey, wait a minute."

How many people reading this have been guilty of posting on your Facebook that you will be at WDW for a week? That is an open invite to say come and rob my house, no one will be at home.

If someone wants to steal your identity, rob your vehicle, or do anything else of that nature, I am sure that having your name on a sticker is something they would be uninterested in. They are going to do it whether they know your full name is on your windshield or not.

Tigger1988

Disney doesn't force people to use the parking pass. If someone is so offended by the idea of their name being printed on a piece of paper they can pony up the cash for parking. There's your choice, pay or use the provided pass.

alawrence

Timekeeper, I understand what you are saying about the choice of expression. People do choose to put what they want on their windows or bumpers. I agree with that. They can also choose to pay for their permit, choose not to display it, or choose to cover their name.

My point is, how many reading this forum choose to put way more info out there than their name on a parking permit, (Children's names, schools, facebook posts...) and are now making such an issue about the parking permit.

Think about all of the other things that you do in everyday life that are equal or worse than having your name on your windshield. That is all that I was trying to get across.

Victor Kelly

And people still do not put the ticket stub for paying in their vehicle window. People do not have to put the resort thing in the window. Many are concerned with the progressive lack of privacy, and with good reason. Add to that constant and very creative ways our rights are being taken away in the guise of "protecting us".

I won't put anything with my name displayed in my car. They will have to smash the windows for that. People are way to willing to give up their information with no worried whatsoever. :shrug:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
It doesn't matter if it's a name on a piece of paper, under age drinking at the parks, or out of control stroller pushers. It's about finding something to make an issue out of. When you run out of reasonable things to be concerned about, you manufacture unreasonable things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom