Guest Names Public information

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
It doesn't matter if it's a name on a piece of paper, under age drinking at the parks, or out of control stroller pushers. It's about finding something to make an issue out of. When you run out of reasonable things to be concerned about, you manufacture unreasonable things.

But what about underage drinkers who are pushing strollers uncontrollably while taking down names in the parking lot? Now THOSE people bug the cr#p out of me.....

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
The name is there for verification that the user is in fact the guest it was issued to. I've often seen guards at resort gates ask for photo ID for guests from other resorts.

The photo ID "policy" when visiting a resort is one of the most useless things I can think of. I stay off site. I drive to the Contemporary to have a couple drinks. I tell the guard this. I have no parking pass with or without my name. He asks for photo ID, looks at it, writes nothing down, and tells me where the parking is. Exactly how is the fact that I have an ID something that makes anybody feel more comfortable. There is no check of the ID against anything, nor is there any sort of recordkeeping.

"Ah, yes, you have a picture of yourself in your wallet. Come right in." :rolleyes:

It's not a bother to show the ID, and I'm used to it, so it takes 15 seconds, but I can't imagine who it's helping.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The photo ID "policy" when visiting a resort is one of the most useless things I can think of. I stay off site. I drive to the Contemporary to have a couple drinks. I tell the guard this. I have no parking pass with or without my name. He asks for photo ID, looks at it, writes nothing down, and tells me where the parking is. Exactly how is the fact that I have an ID something that makes anybody feel more comfortable. There is no check of the ID against anything, nor is there any sort of recordkeeping.

"Ah, yes, you have a picture of yourself in your wallet. Come right in." :rolleyes:

It's not a bother to show the ID, and I'm used to it, so it takes 15 seconds, but I can't imagine who it's helping.

Because if your ID is expired that means you are no longer who your ID says you are.

GenerationX

I have to wonder why this is being done? Could it be that guests who are not parking at a resort are giving their pass to others to obtain free parking? Did the CM in the parking plaza check your name against a list? Or perhaps its just to make it faster for security at the resort gates to check the list of registered guests, rather than having to ask you your name, especially if you do not speak English. :shrug:
Have people been printing their own pass at home to get free parking? Adding a name to the pass makes it slightly more risky to attempt and may deter some.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
I couldn't agree more, and I've stated to Disney my problems with the policy. They flout that it's "for security"... well, it does nothing for security. However, without providing an ID, I don't get admitted. It's their company and their rules.

So I provide them with an ID.

Library of Congress Reader's Card, US Department of State Diplomatic Employee ID, Puerto Rico Voter Registration Card, NEXUS Card, Passport Card, Puerto Rico Concealed Weapon Permit, Federal TWIC Card, Costco Card, US Passport, Spanish Passport... basically anything that doesn't have my address on it and is easily accessible from the driver's seat.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!

I completely agree. I've NEVER understood the effectiveness of this particular policy. It doesn't make the resort any more secure.

Like you said, it takes no more than a few seconds so it's not worth questioning them over.

The Mom

Premium Member
Have people been printing their own pass at home to get free parking? Adding a name to the pass makes it slightly more risky to attempt and may deter some.

I guess someone who drives to the resort (or states that they will be renting a car if they take DME), but uses WDW transportation, might give it to local or offsite friends/relatives so that they can park for free? :shrug:

jlevis

It is kind of interesting that there is so much grumbling about this parkingpass but none about the useless bag search when entering the parks.

Timekeeper

I guess someone who drives to the resort ... might give it to local or offsite friends/relatives so that they can park for free? :shrug:

Aren't there much easier ways for guests to park for free? I think everyone has figured out that parking fees are based on the honor system, as anyone is free to tell the parking booth attendant that they are dropping off/picking up. :lookaroun

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
It is kind of interesting that there is so much grumbling about this parkingpass but none about the useless bag search when entering the parks.
I've already grumbled for years about that, and about the security theater in place at the parks.

They are extremely susceptible to threats.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom