Guest Names Public information

Tom

Beta Return
How would anyone know that a car is owned by a female that is traveling alone?

He's a detective...he knows :lookaroun

But seriously, your name is not private information in the least bit. And if the parking pass says Jane Doe, nobody is instantly going to assume she's traveling alone.

How many muggings, rapes or stabbings happen in WDW parking lots? I'm guessing ZERO, or else we'd hear about it from the Sentinal on a daily basis.

Now, if a car had a parking pass that said Bill Gates, someone might bust out a window hoping to find a billion dollars worth of change under the front seat, along with a few french fries...but he probably doesn't drive to Disney World.

Wisconsin

I think with all the emphasis in today's society about personal info being secure, it made me think twice walking through the POP parking lot and noticing all the names on the parking passes on dashboards, but after I thought about it, there is no real danger here. Still, the initial reaction is to feel a bit uncomfortable...

lt94

Original Poster
OK my reply I have seen all your non concerns with this on your dash I know the name of the person with the car . Ther have been stories on local tv about people calling in to your car services (like on star) or others and talking enough with agent giving tag number,name and getting the service to unlock car or even starting car and bypassing password this happend to me, and others have pointed out this gives your name linked to resort( just a phone call to see if your there) with guest on pass your name is not linked to resort so its a gussing issue this goes alon with anyone being able to walk up to you and address anyone in your family with the persons name and say come with me I don't think this is good . Most people are on vacation and don't remember to cover or remove from dash you even see them at outlet malls.
You also open yourself , your room for hotel pranks with someone calling your room this has been in local papers also.

Ransom

:rolleyes:

Except you don't get a pass if you pay cash. Or if you get in free with an AP.

Well, he never did tow anyone. He was driving his tow truck around with his head out the window, trying to see if people had parking passes. He hit more than a few cars, let me tell you! And then somehow he ended up on the Speedway. A race was going on, and it looked like the poor guy was going to get killed out there! But somehow, he actually got to the head of the pack and won the race. It was amazing.

True story.

This seems long the lines of over re-action to a non-issue.

If someone is looking for your name on a car at a resort, I think it is more than an isolated incident, you have bigger issues in your life.

Anyway, you can most likely ask front desk for another pass, with limited information, stating concerns based on privacy.

Victor Kelly

We dont worry about it because we dont put it on the dash to begin with. We show it to get to the parking lot to either the resort or park and glove box it, and we have never had an issue yet.

EvilQueen-T

i don't know why they bother with the name on the parking pass either because it certainly didn't help me any when someone did a hit and run on my car this august at the poly. i was parked in the first spot. we use disney transportation when we're there for the most part so we hadn't been out to the car in several days. when we came out there was a nice big crunch in the bumper (even popping the pins so it stuck out) and all the broken glass laying around the ground and on the bumper from the smashed light. no one on staff (like the parking people that ride around like crazy) paid it any attention. in fact right after i finished getting a police report i went back inside to pick up a package when my granddaughter mentioned to the cm at the counter what had happened and she said..."oh are you the little white acura out front...i saw that the other day". so having the name didn't do us a darn bit of good. no one on staff took a second to call the room and say...hey you might want to check on the car.

Timekeeper

Some people like to use hand sanitizer, while others do not. Sure, we could ask "what's the worst that could happen if you don't sterilize your hands before eating that turkey leg?" and "surely they have more important things to worry about..." But the thing about personal safety is that it's, well, personal. What's wrong with someone's safety precautions that are more cautious than yours?

We all know that there are creepers out there. Yes, there are ways to identify a person using the internet, public records, etc. But why should any of us be forced to make access to our information (even if it's just our name) easier than it needs to be?

If I see a person exit their car, and something about that person strikes my fancy, I could walk over, get their printed name information (if they left the tag in view), and now be able to research their information in our modern day and age of social networking. I can immediately "cyber-stalk" that person without going through the added hassle of formal searches through county offices, where I might fear that a record will then exist of the fact that I even conducted a search of their information in the first place.

A lot of us strike up conversations with other guests in the WDW parks, but unless the conversation is particularly meaningful or we intend to stay in touch, we typically introduce ourselves as "Steve," not "Steve McQueen." A full name is not something that we typically throw out there to a stranger in passing.

If a woman is at a bar and approached by a creeper, it's her choice whether to respond to him, and whether to give him a first name, or full name, etc. But we don't criticize her right to ignore the creeper altogether.

If we're indeed a full-name culture when it comes to casual interaction with strangers (which we're not), then why not put CMs full names on their name tags? With a company that has many employees with the same first name, wouldn't it be easier for guests to identify CMs (for good or bad reasons) if their full name was printed on the name tag? Of course. But is that the case today? Of course not.

Maybe there is an extremely low occurrence of theft from cars parked at WDW. Does that mean we should should make it easier for the rare (if any) opporutnistic thief and leave our car doors unlocked, with the justification being that (1) it's extremely unlikely that anything bad will happen, and (2) if a thief wanted to simply smash the window then they could? Of course not. That would be silly. We lock our doors.

If a guest does not want to have personal identifying information on their car (which could even be a rental), we should not dismiss or ridicule their concern. :brick: If they want to exercise an extra layer of safety in anonymity, that ought to be perfectly acceptable.

lt94

Original Poster
my main concern is if someone sees your family leave car all they need to do is walk by look at dash and know john smith is at POR and they could approach anyone in family and say r u with john smith come with me or call room no gussing involved

jlevis

Well, I'm a believer in taking responsibility for my families saftey but I have to say the level of paranoia seen here is surprising. When you leave the resort put the card in your glave box. Of course some one could braek into your car and find it.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Unless you have a particularly unique name, just a name and a resort isn't enough for someone to get much traction stalking you. Even then, what does it give them? Knowledge that one room at that resort is currently unoccupied? :shrug:

Privacy is a concern when using credit/debit cards in public. Privacy is a concern at home when disposing of bills or bank statements. Privacy is even a concern when surfing the internet. But in a theme park parking lot exposing your name, resort and possibly what state/province you're from? Notsomuch.

lt94

Original Poster
http://www.ocso.com/CrimeInformation/tabid/122/Default.aspx

Look at this link for all the people that think it dosen't happen at disney

The Mom

Premium Member
my main concern is if someone sees your family leave car all they need to do is walk by look at dash and know john smith is at POR and they could approach anyone in family and say r u with john smith come with me or call room no gussing involved

As I mentioned earlier, it would be far easier to watch people leaving their rooms at the resort, if breaking into your room was the issue.

Luring someone away from your group would require that a criminal follow you around all day in order to wait for a golden opportunity to do so.

I agree that someone could cyber stalk you, but again, there are easier ways to do it than to spend hours in a parking lot watching people get in and out of cars.

Calling the room is possible if you call the front desk, and they connect you, but they are not supposed to release your actual room number, so a criminal would still have to wander the halls watching for you. Which might make security suspicious. (and start a whole 'nother thread about how they have no right to question you, because many people routinely go up and down hallways looking around.) In my experience they don't give out the room number, even if the person looking for you shows ID proving he is your husband. ;)

I think people aren't so much dismissing the possibility that the information could be used for nefarious purposes, but that it so unlikely that it would not worry them at all.

And, anyone who is concerned can just put the pass out of sight once they have parked.

I have to wonder why this is being done? Could it be that guests who are not parking at a resort are giving their pass to others to obtain free parking? Did the CM in the parking plaza check your name against a list? Or perhaps its just to make it faster for security at the resort gates to check the list of registered guests, rather than having to ask you your name, especially if you do not speak English. :shrug:

lt94

Original Poster
no it's not that. most people make jokes or comment and have a false sence of security as it wont or dosent happen at disney. It was a statement of having your full name and where you are staying and has turned into no crime in parking lots and resorts and who patrols pluto and seeing it in the local paper

jakeman

As a precaution, in addition to my parking pass, I usually leave a picture of myself and my family and all the stuff we have bought on my dash.

It makes it easier to find the car after a long day.

I also make sure to leave the doors unlocked and the keys in the center console. I can't be fumbling around for keys when it's time to leave at night!

lt94

Original Poster
To sum up response there is no need to have your name on a parking pass they can check dates or have resort id cards with you no need for paper on dash to have is information and yes I do remove it when not needed
thanks for the disscussion it made us all think

The Mom

Premium Member
no it's not that. most people make jokes or comment and have a false sence of security as it wont or dosent happen at disney. It was a statement of having your full name and where you are staying and has turned into no crime in parking lots and resorts and who patrols pluto and seeing it in the local paper

We all know that crime doesn't take a vacation (or we all should know) and WDW is not an exception. Crimes do happen there. But not as frequently as in other areas of Orlando.

Most of us just feel that the name on the pass doesn't increase our chances of being a crime victim enough to worry about it. I would be much more concerned about my safety when entering/leaving my room than I would be about having my name on a parking pass in a lot with thousands of cars, many with a similar parking pass.

Too many things would have to align to make it an issue. But I suppose after the many what-ifs listed in this thread a criminal reading might have some new ploys for ripping you off. But it still seems like an awful lot of work when there are easier ways.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom