Guess the 50 Golden Statues

Sir_Cliff

Marketing.

It's always marketing.

When fans argue about who should or shouldn't be a "Disney Princess" using distinctions between hand-drawn or 3D, Disney Animation or Pixar, protagonist or supporting cast, born into royalty or married into it or not at all royal (o, hai, Mulan!)... it comes down to one thing: Marketing. Self-admitted by Disney when creating the brand.

There's merch and a brand image that Disney is marketing. There's the 'logic' of it.
Fair enough and you must be right as there doesn't seem to be any other discernible criteria. That said, even the marketing aspect of this selection has me kind of scratching my head.

Maybe it just reflects the recent Disney tendency to focus marketing on a relatively select group of franchises. If that's the case, using 2 statues for Incredibles, 3 for Lion King, etc. might make some sense to them rather then including less marketable films like Hercules, Rescuers, etc. 🤷‍♂️

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Fair enough and you must be right as there doesn't seem to be any other discernible criteria. That said, even the marketing aspect of this selection has me kind of scratching my head.

Maybe it just reflects the recent Disney tendency to focus marketing on a relatively select group of franchises. If that's the case, using 2 statues for Incredibles, 3 for Lion King, etc. might make some sense to them rather then including less marketable films like Hercules, Rescuers, etc. 🤷‍♂️

Oh absolutely but showcasing rarer Disney properties would have been a good way to reestablish the IPs and advertise them for the masses. Scan the statue's QR code with your smartphone. Oh! These are characters from "The Rescuers" I never heard of that but the synopsis and trailer look good. We should watch this on Disney+ tonight!

Last edited:

aliceismad

Ugh. I like Frozone, but the validity of the leaked list makes me sad. I don't think I understand what the point of the 50 statues is. I assume now that they're just 50 statues that they could tie in to existing attractions or something. I assume since they plugged Incredibles into Contemp, the franchise is either that marketable or Disney really wants it to be.

aliceismad

Sam Jackson is marketable in and of himself. And Frozone has one of, if not the most iconic line in the movie over any other character.
Hmmmm. I think Frozone's wife has the most iconic line.

But if we're sticking with a "sidekick" theme throughout the statues (with the exception of Mickey and Minnie -- are are they sidekicks to Walt?), I guess Frozone makes sense. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

Fear

Bambi and Thumper in Animal Kingdom:

22 in Magic Kingdom:
  • The "Earidescent Eight" in front of the castle (as seen in concept art):
    • Mickey & Minnie
    • Donald & Daisy
    • Goofy & Pluto
    • Chip 'n Dale
  • Lumiere / Cogsworth (Fantasyland) [Near Gastons?]
  • Pooh / Piglet (Fantasyland) [Near Pooh?]
  • Cheshire Cat (Fantasyland) [Cheshire Cafe?]
  • Mad Hatter (Fantasyland) [Mad Tea Party?]
  • Orange Bird (Adventureland) [Sunshine Tree Terrace?]
  • Dumbo & Timothy (Storybook Circus)
  • Stitch (Tomorrowland)
  • Abu (Adventureland)
  • Gus / Jaq (Fantasyland? On the Castle?)
  • Pinocchio (Fantasyland)

4 in Epcot:
  • Dante (Mexico)
  • Figment (Imagination)
  • Olaf / Bruni (Norway)

9 in Hollywood Studios:
  • Edna Mode (Municiberg?)
  • Joe Gardner (Rock n Rollercoaster?)
  • R2-D2 (Star Tours)
  • Woody / Bo Peep (Toy Story Land)
  • Flounder / Sebastian (Animation Courtyard)
  • BB-8 (Star Wars Galaxy's Edge)
  • Frozone (Echo Lake?)

7 in Animal Kingdom:
  • Timon / Pumbaa (Africa)
  • Nemo / Dory (Theater in the Wild)
  • Simba (Africa)
  • Bambi / Thumper (Discovery Island?)
1630427473121.png

Eight remain.

kevlightyear

Saw in the 50th thread that McDonalds is releasing toys that somewhat match up with the statues. Here's a link to the source article with pictures: https://rexoxer.in/breaking-50-walt-disney-world-50th-anniversary-toys-are-coming-soon-to-mcdonalds/

The toys do not include Figment or Orange Bird and instead are replaced by Rocket and Groot.

Assuming the rest match up, the remaining statues should be:

MK:
Genie
Tinker Bell
Lady
Tramp
Jiminy Cricket

Epcot:
Miguel
Hei Hei
Pua

ETA: I was wrong about Rocket and Groot.

Last edited:

Fear

Saw in the 50th thread that McDonalds is releasing toys that somewhat match up with the statues. Here's a link to the source article with pictures: https://rexoxer.in/breaking-50-walt-disney-world-50th-anniversary-toys-are-coming-soon-to-mcdonalds/

The toys do not include Figment or Orange Bird and instead are replaced by Rocket and Groot.

Assuming the rest match up, the remaining statues should be:

MK:
Genie
Tinker Bell
Lady
Tramp
Jiminy Cricket

Epcot:
Miguel
Hei Hei
Pua

Well that does it folks, although how certain are we that the replacements for Figment and Orange Bird are Rocket and Groot? I would just as soon see Genie be a placeholder with Miguel (one classified as Magic Kingdom to replace OB, one from Epcot to replace Figment).

aliceismad

kevlightyear

Well that does it folks, although how certain are we that the replacements for Figment and Orange Bird are Rocket and Groot? I would just as soon see Genie be a placeholder with Miguel (one classified as Magic Kingdom to replace OB, one from Epcot to replace Figment).

I saw that too. Interesting marketing with the Happy Meals.

Rocket and Groot are on the leaked list.
I think I assumed Rocket and Groot wouldn't make it because they're marvel characters, but you're right they still could show up as statues.

Fear

I think I assumed Rocket and Groot wouldn't make it because they're marvel characters, but you're right they still could show up as statues.

Guardians of the Galaxy don't fall under the Universal contract, apparently. Epcot used to have the Star-Lord/Gamora concert thing, remember? Plus, there's a small ride themed to Guardians being built.

Fear

And here you go, the tree and the raccoon:

So the real question is: who are the two Happy Meal Toys that are replacing Orange Bird and Figment?

I actually now think that Jiminy isn't a statue, since why wouldn't he have been on Pinocchio's? So Genie is probably real.
Also I'm thinking Miguel; There are so few statues going into Epcot that having two sculptures in Mexico would be crowding a bit.

So, the final tally:

26 in Magic Kingdom:
  • The "Earidescent Eight" in front of the castle (as seen in concept art):
    • Mickey & Minnie
    • Donald & Daisy
    • Goofy & Pluto
    • Chip 'n Dale
  • Lumiere / Cogsworth (Fantasyland) [Near Gastons?]
  • Pooh / Piglet (Fantasyland) [Near Pooh?]
  • Cheshire Cat (Fantasyland) [Cheshire Cafe?]
  • Mad Hatter (Fantasyland) [Mad Tea Party?]
  • Orange Bird (Adventureland) [Sunshine Tree Terrace?]
  • Dumbo & Timothy (Storybook Circus)
  • Stitch (Tomorrowland)
  • Abu (Adventureland)
  • Gus / Jaq (Fantasyland? On the Castle?)
  • Pinocchio (Fantasyland)
  • Tinker Bell (Hub?)
  • Lady / Tramp (Liberty Square?)
  • Genie (Adventureland)

8 in Epcot:
  • Dante (Mexico)
  • Figment (Imagination)
  • Olaf / Bruni (Norway)
  • Rocket / Groot (Future World East)
  • Hei Hei / Pua (Future World West)

9 in Hollywood Studios:
  • Edna Mode (Municiberg?)
  • Joe Gardner (Rock n Rollercoaster?)
  • R2-D2 (Star Tours)
  • Woody / Bo Peep (Toy Story Land)
  • Flounder / Sebastian (Animation Courtyard)
  • BB-8 (Star Wars Galaxy's Edge)
  • Frozone (Echo Lake?)

7 in Animal Kingdom:
  • Timon / Pumbaa (Africa)
  • Nemo / Dory (Theater in the Wild)
  • Simba (Africa)
  • Bambi / Thumper (Discovery Island?)

Last edited:

kevlightyear

Yeah, I was wrong about Rocket and Groot. Meh, they really are not worthy.

So the real question is: who are the two Happy Meal Toys that are replacing Orange Bird and Figment?

I actually now think that Jiminy isn't a statue, since why wouldn't he have been on Pinocchio's? So Genie is probably real.
Also I'm thinking Miguel; There are so few statues going into Epcot that having two sculptures in Mexico would be crowding a bit.
Hard to say. Jiminy could have been announced with Pinocchio, Genie with Abu and Miguel with Dante. Who knows, Lady and Tramp are super recognizable so maybe they were chosen to replace the lesser known Figment and Orange Bird.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom