1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Guardians of the Galaxy - Monsters After Dark coming this Halloween

Discussion in 'Disneyland Resort' started by TP2000, Aug 24, 2017.

1. GiveMeTheMusic

GiveMeTheMusic Well-Known Member

Because Disneyland and Halloween killed my parents

2. Professortango1

Professortango1 Well-Known Member

Because he's taking over the park with Halloween fun. The same reason The Horseman lead the parade down Main Street. Grasping at straws much?

3. raven24

raven24 Well-Known Member

It's not "grasping at straws." The villains have been "taking over Disneyland" for years, and they haven't been plastered over the entrance. Why is the Horseman now across the way?

These are new offerings some of us are simply trying to understand.

4. Professortango1

Because Disney is transitioning Halloween to DCA rather than DL. So, many popular icons are moving across the way. Disneyland featured Fab 5 inspired Jack O'lanterns above the turnstiles and now DCA is doing their version. The Fab 5 fit with DL, but not as much with the DCA Identity. DCA is a bit edgier, a bit more teen oriented, so Oogie Boogie is a great choice. I actually remember Armchair Imagineering Oogie's Halloween Treat years ago where Jack would have the Haunted Mansion, but Oogie would take over DCA with the Disney villains for a spookier event.

And yes...Disney would never put the Disney villains at the point of entry. Oh wait...[​IMG]

Dr. Hans Reinhardt and brb1006 like this.
  5. TROR

TROR Well-Known Member

Was WDI just not clever enough to call the attraction "Guardians of the Ghost Galaxy"? The queue is already full of easter eggs for Disneyland and they even literally acknowledge Disneyland on the ride so referencing Space Mountain's Halloween overlay wouldn't be out of place for the context of the ride. And, frankly, seeing the Guardians of the Galaxy fight a giant space ghost would also make a lot of sense in the context of Guardians of the Galaxy and its weirdness. Sure, it would mean the ride wouldn't match up with the exterior and queue, but let's be honest, the people who like this ride don't care about that kind of connective storytelling.

Kram Sacul and Professortango1 like this.
  6. phruby

phruby Well-Known Member

Because when Disney executives think Halloween they immediately jump to Nightmare Before Christmas and the Headless Horseman. What else are they going to use for DCA? Spiderman wearing a Hulk mask?

Dr. Hans Reinhardt and brb1006 like this.
  7. Stevek

Stevek Well-Known Member

Well, there is that. It is quite a hodgepodge of characters and offerings. If there was no HMH (you wish @Kira Nerys ), the Oogie Boogie thing might make more sense. But hey, isn't DCA a bit of a hodgepodge anyways...so kinda makes sense that this would be too.

Honestly, I think fans like us just overthink this stuff. There really isn't anything to understand per se...they are just putting in some stuff that will resonate for Halloween. The public will likely eat it up.

8. mickEblu

mickEblu Well-Known Member

I'm not a huge fan of seasonal overlays. In particular Halloween @ Disney parks. Its just not their thing. However, considering their content and demo they cater to I think they do a pretty good job. I prefer DL in classic mode from the end of January thru late August.

Christmas time at DL is pretty nice though.

9. raven24

Where did I say Disney NEVER plastered the villains at DL's entrance?

My questions weren't answered.

10. Kira Nerys

Kira Nerys Well-Known Member

Halloween just doesn't work in DCA. They can do the Christmas thing on Buena Vista Street, but definitely not Halloween. The Los Angeles setting doesn't work at all. They're allegedly (at this point, pretty obviously) dumping Halloween into DCA to get it out of DL. But you can't just do that when the theme is completely uncompatible.

11. raven24

DCA would have benefited from original Halloween concepts, especially BVS. No Disney characters, just old-time, charming early 20th century Halloween decor. We'll see what they come up with, but my expectations are quite low.

Kram Sacul and mickEblu like this.
  12. SSG

SSG Well-Known Member

You have been to the parks recently, right? o_O

13. TROR

TROR Well-Known Member

I don't see how Halloween is incompatible with DCA. At least, I didn't a couple of years ago. Without Tower of Terror it really doesn't work even half as well. But if they put up period appropriate decorations on Buena Vista Street, I'd really have no problem. Honestly, I actually have no problem with the Headless Horseman statue idea, either. Although it wouldn't be a perfect fit, thematically speaking, having a large dead tree in the Town Square of Buena Vista Street like this one from Hong Kong Disneyland...

upload_2017-9-8_14-5-24.png

...with dead branches and vines growing around the entrance gates like these briar branches at Tokyo DisneySea...

upload_2017-9-8_14-9-38.png

...then all topped off with ghosts all around the park like at Tokyo Disneyland...

upload_2017-9-8_14-14-18.png

...I think it'd make for a pretty good Halloween atmosphere at DCA. Also, just to throw it in, Grizzly Peak, specifically the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail, could be used like the now extinct Big Thunder Ranch was during Halloween Time to offer pumpkin carvings. A Halloween World of Color, as well, could lend itself to helping celebrating the spooky holiday.

Of course, I am looking at this as if this was the DCA of 2015 rather than the DCA of 2017. I would not want any of this without Tower of Terror present in the park.

brb1006, Kram Sacul and phruby like this.
  14. Kira Nerys

The Hong Kong Disneyland theming also looks like The Nightmare Before Christmas. The tree resembles the tree that had dead bodies in Sleepy Hollow (1999), although it could have been in The Nightmare Before Christmas for all I know. Don't they have anything else besides kooky Tim Burton-y Nightmare Before Christmas stuff? I honestly think the only reason they have the Headless Horseman is because Tim Burton directed a movie in the late 90s with Johnny Depp that had the Headless Horseman. All these Tim Burton references, yet they removed Pee-Wee from Star Tours.

15. TROR

TROR Well-Known Member

Pretty sure Headless Horseman is there because of the Disney production of Sleeping Hollow

phruby likes this.
  16. Kira Nerys

Yeah, but the cartoon is pretty obscure. The awful concept art photoshopped image of the DCA Horse man looks like the one from the Tim Burton movie.

[​IMG]
    See?

17. Professortango1

Well, Tim Burton IS Disney, Halloweenish, and family friendly. Also, the Headless Horseman is there not because of the flop Burton film, but because of the Disney classic. The same classic feature which inspired Mr. Toad.

brb1006 likes this.
  18. phruby

phruby Well-Known Member

He keeps his eyes shut until he reaches the Haunted Mansion gates.

19. phruby

phruby Well-Known Member

The Headless Horseman was originally going to appear in the graveyard scene of the Haunted Mansion. We sign the song every time we go trick or treating.

brb1006 likes this.
  20. Kira Nerys

I'll admit I'm wrong if the final version doesn't look like that concept art.