Guardians of the Galaxy - Monsters After Dark coming this Halloween

Professortango1

I don't understand any of it. Why is Oogie on the DCA gate? Why is the Horseman on BVS? It feels like they just threw darts at a wall with Halloween-ish things tacked onto it and then went with it

Because he's taking over the park with Halloween fun. The same reason The Horseman lead the parade down Main Street. Grasping at straws much?

Californian Elitist

Because he's taking over the park with Halloween fun. The same reason The Horseman lead the parade down Main Street. Grasping at straws much?

It's not "grasping at straws." The villains have been "taking over Disneyland" for years, and they haven't been plastered over the entrance. Why is the Horseman now across the way?

These are new offerings some of us are simply trying to understand.

Professortango1

It's not "grasping at straws." The villains have been "taking over Disneyland" for years, and they haven't been plastered over the entrance. Why is the Horseman now across the way?

These are new offerings some of us are simply trying to understand.

Because Disney is transitioning Halloween to DCA rather than DL. So, many popular icons are moving across the way. Disneyland featured Fab 5 inspired Jack O'lanterns above the turnstiles and now DCA is doing their version. The Fab 5 fit with DL, but not as much with the DCA Identity. DCA is a bit edgier, a bit more teen oriented, so Oogie Boogie is a great choice. I actually remember Armchair Imagineering Oogie's Halloween Treat years ago where Jack would have the Haunted Mansion, but Oogie would take over DCA with the Disney villains for a spookier event.

And yes...Disney would never put the Disney villains at the point of entry. Oh wait...
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz1995.jpg

TROR

Was WDI just not clever enough to call the attraction "Guardians of the Ghost Galaxy"? The queue is already full of easter eggs for Disneyland and they even literally acknowledge Disneyland on the ride so referencing Space Mountain's Halloween overlay wouldn't be out of place for the context of the ride. And, frankly, seeing the Guardians of the Galaxy fight a giant space ghost would also make a lot of sense in the context of Guardians of the Galaxy and its weirdness. Sure, it would mean the ride wouldn't match up with the exterior and queue, but let's be honest, the people who like this ride don't care about that kind of connective storytelling.

Phroobar

I don't understand any of it. Why is Oogie on the DCA gate? Why is the Horseman on BVS? It feels like they just threw darts at a wall with Halloween-ish things tacked onto it and then went with it
Because when Disney executives think Halloween they immediately jump to Nightmare Before Christmas and the Headless Horseman. What else are they going to use for DCA? Spiderman wearing a Hulk mask?

Stevek

Well, there is that. It is quite a hodgepodge of characters and offerings. If there was no HMH (you wish @Kira Nerys ), the Oogie Boogie thing might make more sense. But hey, isn't DCA a bit of a hodgepodge anyways...so kinda makes sense that this would be too.

Honestly, I think fans like us just overthink this stuff. There really isn't anything to understand per se...they are just putting in some stuff that will resonate for Halloween. The public will likely eat it up.

mickEblu

I'm not a huge fan of seasonal overlays. In particular Halloween @ Disney parks. Its just not their thing. However, considering their content and demo they cater to I think they do a pretty good job. I prefer DL in classic mode from the end of January thru late August.

Christmas time at DL is pretty nice though.

Californian Elitist

Because Disney is transitioning Halloween to DCA rather than DL. So, many popular icons are moving across the way. Disneyland featured Fab 5 inspired Jack O'lanterns above the turnstiles and now DCA is doing their version. The Fab 5 fit with DL, but not as much with the DCA Identity. DCA is a bit edgier, a bit more teen oriented, so Oogie Boogie is a great choice. I actually remember Armchair Imagineering Oogie's Halloween Treat years ago where Jack would have the Haunted Mansion, but Oogie would take over DCA with the Disney villains for a spookier event.

And yes...Disney would never put the Disney villains at the point of entry. Oh wait...
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz1995.jpg

Where did I say Disney NEVER plastered the villains at DL's entrance?

My questions weren't answered.

George Lucas on a Bench

Halloween just doesn't work in DCA. They can do the Christmas thing on Buena Vista Street, but definitely not Halloween. The Los Angeles setting doesn't work at all. They're allegedly (at this point, pretty obviously) dumping Halloween into DCA to get it out of DL. But you can't just do that when the theme is completely uncompatible.

SSG

Halloween just doesn't work in DCA. They can do the Christmas thing on Buena Vista Street, but definitely not Halloween. The Los Angeles setting doesn't work at all. They're allegedly (at this point, pretty obviously) dumping Halloween into DCA to get it out of DL. But you can't just do that when the theme is completely uncompatible.

You have been to the parks recently, right? o_O

TROR

I don't see how Halloween is incompatible with DCA. At least, I didn't a couple of years ago. Without Tower of Terror it really doesn't work even half as well. But if they put up period appropriate decorations on Buena Vista Street, I'd really have no problem. Honestly, I actually have no problem with the Headless Horseman statue idea, either. Although it wouldn't be a perfect fit, thematically speaking, having a large dead tree in the Town Square of Buena Vista Street like this one from Hong Kong Disneyland...

upload_2017-9-8_14-5-24.png

...with dead branches and vines growing around the entrance gates like these briar branches at Tokyo DisneySea...

upload_2017-9-8_14-9-38.png

...then all topped off with ghosts all around the park like at Tokyo Disneyland...

upload_2017-9-8_14-14-18.png

...I think it'd make for a pretty good Halloween atmosphere at DCA. Also, just to throw it in, Grizzly Peak, specifically the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail, could be used like the now extinct Big Thunder Ranch was during Halloween Time to offer pumpkin carvings. A Halloween World of Color, as well, could lend itself to helping celebrating the spooky holiday.

Of course, I am looking at this as if this was the DCA of 2015 rather than the DCA of 2017. I would not want any of this without Tower of Terror present in the park.

George Lucas on a Bench

The Hong Kong Disneyland theming also looks like The Nightmare Before Christmas. The tree resembles the tree that had dead bodies in Sleepy Hollow (1999), although it could have been in The Nightmare Before Christmas for all I know. Don't they have anything else besides kooky Tim Burton-y Nightmare Before Christmas stuff? I honestly think the only reason they have the Headless Horseman is because Tim Burton directed a movie in the late 90s with Johnny Depp that had the Headless Horseman. All these Tim Burton references, yet they removed Pee-Wee from Star Tours.

TROR

The Hong Kong Disneyland theming also looks like The Nightmare Before Christmas. The tree resembles the tree that had dead bodies in Sleepy Hollow (1999), although it could have been in The Nightmare Before Christmas for all I know. Don't they have anything else besides kooky Tim Burton-y Nightmare Before Christmas stuff? I honestly think the only reason they have the Headless Horseman is because Tim Burton directed a movie in the late 90s with Johnny Depp that had the Headless Horseman. All these Tim Burton references, yet they removed Pee-Wee from Star Tours.

Pretty sure Headless Horseman is there because of the Disney production of Sleeping Hollow

Professortango1

Well, Tim Burton IS Disney, Halloweenish, and family friendly. Also, the Headless Horseman is there not because of the flop Burton film, but because of the Disney classic. The same classic feature which inspired Mr. Toad.

Phroobar

Well, Tim Burton IS Disney, Halloweenish, and family friendly. Also, the Headless Horseman is there not because of the flop Burton film, but because of the Disney classic. The same classic feature which inspired Mr. Toad.
The Headless Horseman was originally going to appear in the graveyard scene of the Haunted Mansion. We sign the song every time we go trick or treating.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom