Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT! Reviews, Photos, Info

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
"Attendance at our domestic parks was up 6% in the quarter, as Pandora - The World of Avatar contributed to record attendance at Disney’s Animal Kingdom and Walt Disney World overall, and Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission BREAKOUT! contributed to higher attendance at Disneyland Resort."

Higher attendance of APs maybe.

shortstop

"Attendance at our domestic parks was up 6% in the quarter, as Pandora - The World of Avatar contributed to record attendance at Disney’s Animal Kingdom and Walt Disney World overall, and Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission BREAKOUT! contributed to higher attendance at Disneyland Resort."
How vague and misleading. My guess is DAK saw a huge attendance spike and DCA saw a minimal increase, but they lumped it all together in saying domestic park attendance was up.

BrianLo

How vague and misleading. My guess is DAK saw a huge attendance spike and DCA saw a minimal increase, but they lumped it all together in saying domestic park attendance was up.

They do not highlight meaningless factors in their quarterly reports. For example the Iron Man E-ticket in HK does not make an appearance in the international parks blurb, because it simply is not having any meaningful impact to the bottom line. There really is no conspiracy therefore to make Marvel projects look good, because Iron Man simply didn't land and they ignored it like they tend to do in these reports.

If the attendance was all Pandora/WDW driven the statement would read: "Attendance at our domestic parks was up 6% in the quarter, as Pandora - The World of Avatar contributed to record attendance at Disney’s Animal Kingdom and Walt Disney World overall."

There would simply be no mention of DLR. Just like there is no mention of Hong Kong.

smile

note that dca isn't even mentioned - an omission which infers it did not increase

George Lucas on a Bench

There's a lot of reasons DCA's version was thought of as inferior in the industry, and that sentiment made it a palatable target for retheming. Notice how much internal resistance happened when the redo was proposed for DHS as well - resistance that didn't exist for DCA.

I just don't agree. I'd been doing WDW's TOT since it first opened with like one drop and a lap bar and I still dug on DCA's circa 2012. It was like a more charming version of MGM's. It looked kinda fat and dinky from the outside, the ride trimmed out all the fat and didn't bother trying to impress you with that scene where the elevator starts moving forward. In fact, the thing reverses right at the start of the ride! The view from the top was obviously better. I have a soft spot for it.

GiveMeTheMusic

I just don't agree. I'd been doing WDW's TOT since it first opened with like one drop and a lap bar and I still dug on DCA's circa 2012. It was like a more charming version of MGM's. It looked kinda fat and dinky from the outside, the ride trimmed out all the fat and didn't bother trying to impress you with that scene where the elevator starts moving forward. In fact, the thing reverses right at the start of the ride! The view from the top was obviously better. I have a soft spot for it.

You're entitled to your opinion George, even if it's wrong!

Magenta Panther

You know, we're never gonna beat Tower of Terror. Nobody can.

Certainly it can't be beat or even equaled by current-day TDO and TDA. We'll never see its like again. We've all had to lower our expectations regarding the Imagineers, thanks to that jerk Iger. If only there were someone with a respect and fondness for Walt's legacy out there who could rescue his company from people like Boardroom Bob. I guess it's not possible. I guess we'll never see Walt's like again either. :(

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
There's a lot of reasons DCA's version was thought of as inferior in the industry, and that sentiment made it a palatable target for retheming. Notice how much internal resistance happened when the redo was proposed for DHS as well - resistance that didn't exist for DCA.

I can see it, but I actually liked the version that DCA got. It was unique enough to be its own ride. And sure, it wasn't the all-star DHS version but it kept the thematic integrity. I loved it.

Also, DCA's change had a ton of resistance too but now all of a sudden everyone just "loves it". It's a fight I lost, even within my own family and friends. I didn't know how much resistance was present with the WDW people though, to be fair.

Certainly it can't be beat or even equaled by current-day TDO and TDA. We'll never see its like again. We've all had to lower our expectations regarding the Imagineers, thanks to that jerk Iger. If only there were someone with a respect and fondness for Walt's legacy out there who could rescue his company from people like Boardroom Bob. I guess it's not possible. I guess we'll never see Walt's like again either. :(

Agreed. They just don't make them like they used to. But hey... Incredicoaster, right? Guardians of the Galaxy, right? Just in time for the movie release! It's not about the ride experience today, but about what they can advertise.

TROR

I can see it, but I actually liked the version that DCA got. It was unique enough to be its own ride. And sure, it wasn't the all-star DHS version but it kept the thematic integrity. I loved it.

Also, DCA's change had a ton of resistance too but now all of a sudden everyone just "loves it". It's a fight I lost, even within my own family and friends. I didn't know how much resistance was present with the WDW people though, to be fair.

Agreed. They just don't make them like they used to. But hey... Incredicoaster, right? Guardians of the Galaxy, right? Just in time for the movie release! It's not about the ride experience today, but about what they can advertise.
Glad to have you on these forums, McQueen.

dweezil78

You all do realize he just keeps para-quoting Titanic and George Lucas, right?

GiveMeTheMusic

I was referring to internal resistance, not fans/guests. Internally, very few objected to losing DCA's TOT. When DHS' came into play, no less than Kalogridis himself went to bat to fight the proposal.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
I was referring to internal resistance, not fans/guests. Internally, very few objected to losing DCA's TOT. When DHS' came into play, no less than Kalogridis himself went to bat to fight the proposal.

Oh, my bad. But that's awesome to hear! I remember being sort of consistent with the rumors over at DHS but I didn't think they originally planned to bring M:B over.. did they? Who knows with Chapek.

George Lucas on a Bench

I'm going to be bold.

I think Guardians of the Galaxy is better than the Tower of Terror. Having now been on it a total of three times in my life, it is clearly the more exciting of the two versions. It also looks cool, although I've always been one of the few to actually praise its outward appearance, as you all should know.

I thought the DCA Tower of Terror was awesome and always enjoyed doing it, but this weird alien version based on movies I've never even seen has been more enjoyable than the old version ever was. I like the aliens in the waiting line and the odd videos with the bloke from Excess Baggage in a gaudy getup.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom