Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

mickEblu

I think the actual drop portion of ToT at DCA Is great fun, but the attraction's a total failure at telling its story. Without a proper buildup, it just isn't creepy enough, and the long, boring wait in the bolier room kills the pacing. Imagine if, on Haunted Mansion, you had to wait fifteen minutes to leave the Stretch Room.

A fix was needed... But--holy crud--does the Guardians storyline sound contrived or what? It sounds about as sincere as the "stories" Six Flags coughs up for their DC comics coasters.

I could have just read the terrible proposed name of the attraction and saved myself from watching that 2 minute video and that ear. The name says it all.

Curious Constance

upload_2016-7-24_9-6-39.png

mickEblu

I mused earlier about just how popular a Hollywood themed area is in a park that is right next to Hollywood. For the locals its likely "ho hum". I'm not a local and its ho hum. And there are so many quality tourist spots around the region to get one's Hollywood fix. Its always seemed to be a lazy decision to me, an excuse or simple backdrop to allow for the existence of the ToT perhaps, the effort to make the parks a 'one stop for all things' so a visitor never goes beyond property.

But it has a good hot dog store.

If I was in charge of creating DCA i probably wouldn't have chosen to include a realistic modern Hollywoodland but I think if they went more of the romanticized Old Hollywood theme (like TOT and the Red Car) I think it could have been great. Take NOS for example. New Orleans exists but Im pretty sure you cant experience anything like the Haunted Mansion in the real city.

Anyway they were on their way to building an old romanticized version of Hollywood but then they bought Marvel and need to milk every IP they can. Regardless if it fits or not.

D

Deleted member 107043

I'm not saying a new name isn't needed or warranted, but what I don't understand is why it would make anyone happier with the ice cream after the name change.

My take CC is that some fans have ridiculously high expectations for the moral purity of Disney theme parks. With the romanticized history of Disneyland and WDI a high degree of storytelling integrity might be expected, but it's completely unrealistic.

For some fans "foreign" IPs have no legitimacy at DLR because the characters and stories don't perfectly align with the cultivated view of what the parks were intended to represent. What they're overlooking though is that Disney parks aren't static in a bubble; they're evolving based on external influences. Disney has to make compromises, balancing tradition with pop culture, and it's always been this way.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I think it's good that this will eventually be a part of a super heroes area of the park. To keep it in a strictly Hollywood land themed area would be weird.

Rich T

Remember when DCA was first announced and fans (irked it wasn't Westcot) loudly complained the CA theme was unimaginative, stupid and a blatant attempt to combine elements of Universal, Knotts and Magic Mountain into a catch-all park created to keep guests on property instead of exploring L.A.?

The CA theme has always been stupid. The addition of Buena Vista Street and the Partners statue make for a great, warm pairing with DL, but from there the lame CA theme is not important at all. The Grizzly area works because it's a pleasant fictional locale, not because anyone cares it's supposed to represent CA. Paradise Pier works because it's jolly and pretty and makes a good home for classic animation shout-outs. Cars Land is amazing no matter where it's supposed to be. No one cares about the miniature Cannery Row, the dying grapes or the Victorian house facades--and Hollywood Blvd has been a mess since day one.

Renaming the park to something more in line with its themes of film and leisure would be great. Not a top priority, but far better than straightjacketing the park into sticking to its original cynical and limiting CA theme, which NOBODY originally liked. :D

flynnibus

Premium Member
My take CC is that some fans have ridiculously high expectations for the moral purity of Disney theme parks.

And where do you think they learned this? Here's a hint.... They came from a little place in Burbank...

With the romanticized history of Disneyland and WDI a high degree of storytelling integrity might be expected, but it's completely unrealistic.

Unrealistic would mean it's not possible... Yet, we have theme parks that defined the industry and thrived for decades. How is that not proving it is possible?

You make it sound like people are drifting into their own standards and then expecting Disney to match it.

When it's actually people who listened to Disney themselves tell them how and why things were done that were behind the incredible successes of the company. Why they did things and why they did not do others... From the men and women that created the successes. A philosophy and methodology that was taught, preached, and evangelized for nearly three generations. The standards people try to hold Disney to are the standards Disney themselves formed and preached.

The company demonstrates time to time those ideals still work... So don't say this is "Disney needs to evolve" and those principles of design and show are no longer relevant.

The company has changed, changed what it prioritizes and how it faces risk.

This isn't stuff people are just making up.

mickEblu

So much chatter about how poor this decision is and yet we all know it'll end up being a big draw for DCA, especially if produced at a high standard. I agree with those who question the integrity of the location and context of the IP, but it appears that there's more news coming that will explain everything.

That's fair but don't you think that anything new of this scale would bring in the crowds? Regardless of the IP or any IP at all? I believe most APs will be lining up mostly out of curiosity and less out of excitement. And non APs, I think it's a draw but an overlayed drop ride for GOTG? The real draw will be when Marvel land is complete. I just wish they could have been patient and built a new GOTG ride to be part of the new land.

Short term, I think this overlay will command longer lines for maybe 6-12 months and then I think they go back down to 30-45 minutes standby. The gift shop will probably sell more merch.

Anyway I'm sure Marvel land will be a huge draw. Not so sure about an overlayed drop ride for GOTG by itself. Between the backlot and the rumors of going into the bus lot I feel they had more than enough room for marvel land without ruining TOT. I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong if Mission breakout (rolling my eyes) blows me away. However, considering all factors, it seems highly unlikely.

Curious Constance

That's fair but don't you think that anything new of this scale would bring in the crowds? Regardless of the IP or any IP at all? I believe most APs will be lining up mostly out of curiosity and less out of excitement. And non APs, I think it's a draw but an overlayed drop ride for GOTG? The real draw will be when Marvel land is complete. I just wish they could have been patient and built a new GOTG ride to be part of the new land.

Short term, I think this overlay will command longer lines for maybe 6-12 months and then I think they go back down to 30-45 minutes standby. The gift shop will probably sell more merch.

Anyway I'm sure Marvel land will be a huge draw. Not so sure about an overlayed drop ride for GOTG by itself. Between the backlot and the rumors of going into the bus lot I feel they had more than enough room for marvel land without ruining TOT. I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong if Mission breakout (rolling my eyes) blows me away. However, considering all factors, it seems highly unlikely.

I just made you a t shirt with "Mission Breakout" written all over it.

Variable

If I was in charge of creating DCA i probably wouldn't have chosen to include a realistic modern Hollywoodland but I think if they went more of the romanticized Old Hollywood theme (like TOT and the Red Car) I think it could have been great. Take NOS for example. New Orleans exists but Im pretty sure you cant experience anything like the Haunted Mansion in the real city.

Anyway they were on their way to building an old romanticized version of Hollywood but then they bought Marvel and need to milk every IP they can. Regardless if it fits or not.

So DHS clone.

Working to get a return on an investment is not a negative - its business.

mickEblu

So DHS clone.

Working to get a return on an investment is not a negative - its business.

There was plenty of room to make a return on their investment without ruining a fan favorite.

Also, me and the other millions of APs/ guests don't care that TOT is a clone. I don't usually fly to Florida on a whim.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom