Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

BrianLo

I'm still curious if the plan is for the red carpet premiere of Vol 2 to be in DCA. Too much synergy and photo hilarity to have Hollywood A-listers on the ride.

I can't currently find any details on where the premiere will be.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm still curious if the plan is for the red carpet premiere of Vol 2 to be in DCA. Too much synergy and photo hilarity to have Hollywood A-listers on the ride.

I can't currently find any details on where the premiere will be.

The premiere as I can find it right now is Monday May 1st. The location hasn't been announced, publicly anyways, that I'm aware of.

DCA isn't scheduled to close early that day, so I suspect its not happening at DCA.

D

Deleted member 107043

They somehow managed to make it worse.

Are you sure?

disney-tower-of-terror-TOWER0816_0.jpg

GiveMeTheMusic

Are you sure?

disney-tower-of-terror-TOWER0816_0.jpg

TOT was truly hideous. Someone said it looked like a bombed Syrian skyscraper, and that's the best description of it I ever heard. The new building isn't just passively ugly like TOT - so blandly ugly your eye could just ignore its beigeness - it's actively ugly in primary colors with spikes and satellite dishes and heaps of garbage glued onto it.

mickEblu

TOT was truly hideous. Someone said it looked like a bombed Syrian skyscraper, and that's the best description of it I ever heard. The new building isn't just passively ugly like TOT - so blandly ugly your eye could just ignore its beigeness - it's actively ugly in primary colors with spikes and satellite dishes and heaps of garbage glued onto it.

Passively ugly that's a great way to describe TOT. Which would make GOTG:MB Actively ugly.

ght

Would be nice to see a side by side without The Carthay included.
Yes, but I think a big complaint is what it does to the sight lines, particularly from this angle. While the old building looked terrible it didn't quite draw your eye to its terribleness the way the new facade's bright colors do. Now that said, I haven't been to the parks in a couple of years so I am having a hard time remembering exactly how prominent this particular sight line is (i.e. is this only a problem standing at one exact spot looking at exactly the right angle).

nevol

From @MintCrocodile "Guardians Of The Galaxy Mission: Breakout! seen from Main Street USA"

View attachment 196360
This is what I mean about the color harmony... Thematically its out of place in DCA and it obviously intrudes on Main Street, which is oddly not too bothersome to me because Disneyland is an amalgamated excursion park with contradicting land themes instead of just one, but the COLORS are oddly compatible with those of Mickey Fun Wheel, Oswalds, and now, shockingly, even Main Street. The banners are seasonal in main street but even in this crop, we see that the signage next to the train station matches the facade. super strange.

britain

Attractions 360°‏ @SoCal360 posted a side by side shot for comparison.

View attachment 196458

I like GotG behind the Carthay better.

I still think it looks cheap up close, and needs more piping, more machinery, more stuff on it. It looks like half of the macaroni wasn't quite glued on well enough. ;)

BUT, it still looks better than ToT behind the Carthay.

The scale of ToT always seemed to ruin the Carthay for me. When you look at the tippy-top of the Carthay, the scale implies that a person could stand under the arches up there. But the scale of the ToT being behind the Carthay breaks that. Because they do fit together time-period-wise, I could believe that they are supposed to exist relatively close to each other in some LA of yesteryear... and they don't look good together. I don't mind GotG being behind the Carthay as simply a different area of the theme park in the background. Like seeing Space Mt behind Main Street.

It just needs more stuff!!!

D

Deleted member 107043

Now that said, I haven't been to the parks in a couple of years so I am having a hard time remembering exactly how prominent this particular sight line is (i.e. is this only a problem standing at one exact spot looking at exactly the right angle).

The telephoto lens used in that photo makes MB look a lot closer to The Carthay than it really is. And yes, you have to stand inside Grizzly Peak Airfield to get that view.

D

Deleted member 107043

I wonder if people would be so bothered if this was 2004, back when DCA was still finding its footing, and this was what they built instead of TOT. Or if this were being built from the ground up as an addition to Shanghai or Hong Kong. I feel like it's impossible for DL regulars to look at this project objectively because they have such an attachment to what was there before.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom