Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

nevol

The 9 Billion dollars that the MCU continues to grow and pile up is a major mover of business realities. Once MB opens and shows to be popular you will see more and more of these Marvel projects in DCA get green lit and announced. That capex will be allocated and construction will start.

That confidence for capex flow should have been there all along then. It was kind of a bigger risk to pin the future of Marvel in parks and resorts to the success of a highly controversial overlay of a popular attraction and a summer party and meet n greet. Which is why I'm still having a blast navigating the complexities of the relationships between the motivations for this project-- creatively, IP/merch, immediacy (DCA attendance and pleasing marvel), declining popularity of Tower, declining attendance/satisfaction with DCA causing a generalized desperation to add ANYTHING, or a need to distract people from Disneyland since it's severely overcrowded... All have to be a factor. I read this forum and find myself agreeing with basically everyone, which may be odd, but none of these ideas are the hard truth nor do they render other considerations a hard False.

Curious Constance

It seems that some folks here accept any and all change, and find an excuse for everything. You might be wasting your time with this question.

I have a friend who is always proposing to get rid of "everything old" at Disneyland and California Adventure, and is completely for all of the changes occurring, including GotG. In saying that, none of her arguments ever have any weight to them, in terms of why some things should be taken out and why the intrusions are okay. She's really not that type of fan, and simply enjoys the upcoming changes because "they're cool."
Good god, and you ASSOCIATE with this person!?

Curious Constance

For those of you who are embracing this change and don't understand those of us who mourn it, I pose a question: how would you feel if instead of Tower of Terror, Disney decided to change the Haunted Mansion into Guardians? Or Big Thunder Mountain into a Spider Man roller coaster? You can say it's totally different, but honestly it's very similar...placing something that is thematically out of place into an attraction that is popular and doesn't need something like this. It hurts. It looks gaudy. Reguardless of the ornamentation, it looks cheap. Disney took the cheap way out. They should've built a NEW attraction elsewhere...even redoing Star Tours with GoG would've made more sense than this chaos.

You would have been okay with them retheming Star tours with GOTG but you can't get over them retheming TOT? You sure this has nothing to do with your personal feelings?

Curious Constance

Also, I think I just figured out why Disney fans hate change so much. It's because with any change that occurs, one of these threads is born, and it continues and continues slowly, but surely, eating away our souls, our sense of humor, our very will to live. Until we're all just hollow husks blowing in the wind.

mickEblu

You would have been okay with them retheming Star tours with GOTG but you can't get over them retheming TOT? You sure this has nothing to do with your personal feelings?

I would have also been fine with Star Tours. It's mostly likely gone anyway and there is going to be an upgraded version in Star Wars Land. Not to mention the ride system seems to make more sense for the IP.

In others words, one will still be able to get their Star Wars fix. Same can't be said for TOT.

mickEblu

Out of theme overlay...
America Sings?

Yes. A tiny out of theme show in the thematically appropriate Carrousel Building has the same impact as a 20 story building that can be seen throughout the entire resort. I keep saying I'm going to stop but I can't help myself with some of these examples.

dweezil78

Couple pics i snapped earlier today... What can I say, I'm starting to like it. I shouldn't, but I do. And I am ok with that!

IMG_7504.JPG
IMG_7515.JPG

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

nevol

Couple pics i snapped earlier today... What can I say, I'm starting to like it. I shouldn't, but I do. And I am ok with that!

View attachment 196338 View attachment 196339
I pray they get rid of a bugs land and the animation building when they redo that part of the park (if that is in phase 2, if we are now to believe that behind the tower is phase 1). I just can't take them seriously with this land design if they are unwilling to plow through that giant stucco warehouse toward tower to create a more interesting midway or to do away with a bugs land for something that we should take seriously. Yea its pleasant, but its also one of the only places in the park from which you can see the front of the tower's show building. Those spaces need to be built up to the max with guest areas to offset all the side and back profiles we are stuck with. Every time I look at that building I think WHO PUT YOU THERE?? It should have gone in the northeast corner of the park facing southwest, so that it could be viewed only from the front from everywhere in the park. It would have also caught a nice orange glow at sunset.

sedati

From how many vantage points on Buena Vista Street/Hollywood is the Tower visible from? And if one were to turn in the opposite direction would they not also see an out of time and place airfield and an out of time, place, and scale craftsman style hotel?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom