Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind SPOILER Thread

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
Right, because Future World was all solar panels and petroleum, and there are definitely no other ideas that would have fit the theme and made a good coaster :rolleyes:

Regardless of why the name was changed, I would say we don't yet have any real proof that the Neighborhood concept will provide a strength that Future World could not. Will the Neighborhoods at their worst offer an overall better experiences than the dog days of Future World did? Perhaps - Future World was permitted to fall to some low lows, but that mostly won't be seen for another 2 years or so until construction is done. Will the Neighborhoods at their best offer an experience rivalling the glory days of Future World? They don't yet, and it seems quite unlikely since the most major element of the project is about to come online but won't have a meaningful impact beyond the footprint of its showbuilding. The front half of the park is still a mess and one new hit ride doesn't magically undo all the other problems.

More than a handful of the Pavilions are still being allowed to limp along with halfhearted attractions. Dreamers Point and Journey of Water won't alter the fabric of the land such that its problems are gone, they're little more than cosmetic changes. What we see in a month when Guardians opens will essentially be the general state of EPCOT for the foreseeable. Which is basically just Future World with some altered signage, a new Airport cafeteria, and net gain of 1 new ride. All with some shiny Philips Hue lighting.

EPCOT won't really be "stronger and better" if everything that's open now will still be basically as it is despite one new ride added to the lineup. Disney should know by now that one attraction - even a great one - doesn't solve park-wide problems. EPCOT needs more than some makeup and a really expensive bandaid.

I don't understand why you think these are the only 2 options.

Renaming Future World because the theme doesn't permit the intrusion of Comic Book Superheroes is not the park "growing and changing as it was always intended to". It's growing and changing in ways it was decidedly not intended to, or they wouldn't have had to break up the land into three and change the theme to do it.

Your post seems to be somewhat at odds with itself - in the first paragraph you cite (accurately) the dichotomy of Future World East and West, but in the second you suggest that the Land was subject to synergy with the attractions across the park . . . which, for the record, never happened in either the best or worst days of Future World.

Future World's theme was never so limiting that nothing exciting and amazing could be done with it. They just chose not to for the last 25~ years. Disney ran the place into the ground in the 90's, let the Festivals prop it up for the 2000's, strung it along in the 2010's and then looked and said "We have to DO something, nobody likes this anymore!" . . . well, duh, guys. You let it fall to pieces. But the pieces themselves weren't bad - pick them up and build something new with them! It would be easy, and if well done you'd have a great park, new attractions, and a unified vision.

But again, their interest is no longer in having a unified vision. It's in using the Marvel characters however they can in Florida to prop up sagging numbers. Animal Kingdom got a new hit ride in 2017, DHS in 2019, MK is seemingly evergreen . . . and then there's EPCOT.

It's a shortcut. They aren't interested in making the park "stronger and better defined" or they'd actually be doing that. Instead they're putting a giant, Marvel-shaped pot under the leaky roof and calling it fixed. And it's a big pot, so it'll hold a lot of water. But the roof's still leaking and they don't really care to fix it.

I guess there are two things here. You are 100% right that the park was always divided. to the point the East side had linear paths to map to the left side of the brain and West/right side was more organic, creative, natural sides. The issue is all of Epcot up until these recent additions was based in the real world. Real things - sometimes more or less fantasitcally presented. But still based in the real world.

I am not at all saying I want the park we had for the last 20 years. Some may, but most I have talked to aren't saying that at all. Rather, we are saying we want the THEME and STORY of the original park - presented in updated ways. By your argument, I would assume you want Frontierland, Fantasyland, Tomorrowland, etc. totally destroyed in MK - since they are all 50 years old now, right? I say that in jest, but the point is the IDEA of Epcot was and remains still a highly viable thing. It's the execution, poor upkeep, abandonment, etc. that's the issue. UoE was absolutely due for a replacement. It's THIS replacement that is the issue since it doesn't fit Epcot, and the new idea doesn't make sense.

With that, I'm not in the camp that says IP can't be used at all. There are a lot of versions - of this very ride - that could have worked. Even with the same basic premise, if this was a new Sci Fi Pavilion or CGI Pavilion with Cosmic Rewind as the main attraction, that could loosely work. But, it would have the focus being how the real world inspired Stan Lee and others to create MCU. Or how we can use technology to create the MCU. It needs a definitive, clear anchor in reality. That's what every FW (and most WS pavilions save for Frozen and sort of Remy) have had until recently. And that creates the major divide IMHO.

Guardians sounds like a really solid attraction (albeit overpriced) which would have been a smash hit in TL or even Studios. It simply doesn't fit the theme of Epcot. And, the new "theme" they are pushing doesn't make sense. I'm sorry, but there is no tie between M:S, TT and Cosmic Rewind. Two are real world tech. One is 100% fantasy alien races showcasing fantasy technology - which is the story and theme of TL, not Epcot.

This comes down to lazy storytelling to shoehorn things in. Pandora showcased they can make things fit pretty well when they try. They simply aren't trying any more.
These are fantastic summations of why this ride doesn't fit in Epcot. I couldn't have said it any better myself. Kudos to @yensidtlaw1969 and @Epcot82Guy

@Tegan pilots a chicken I like fun attractions. I am about 90% positive that I will like this one a lot. My criticisms of the decision to build this ride, in this way, in this place do not take away from the fact that it might be a fun experience.

However, I think a trolley-themed roller coaster swooping through the buildings on Main Street, USA (a la Rip Ride Rockit) could be a fun experience too, but it would be extremely weird for them to build that, don't you think? I might like the roller coaster and have fun on it, but I wouldn't feel right about where it is and why it is.

That's how I feel about Guardians. I'm sure it's fun. I'm sure there are aspects of it that are well-done (jury is out till I ride it in person). But my opinion remains that it is absolutely the wrong ride in the wrong place for Epcot.

Giss Neric

Got to ride this again today and it definitely pushes those motion sickness boundaries. It’s 3 minutes of twisting and turning on a coaster track in the dark looking at screens.
Does the 3 minutes starts from the launch to end or from leaving load station to end? Cause there is like a lift hill and show scene before launch right?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Does the 3 minutes starts from the launch to end or from leaving load station to end? Cause there is like a lift hill and show scene before launch right?
Does it really matter though? It's not like this has some 45 second chain lift hill. AFAIK the time reported has been from dispatch to return.

Surferboy567

Original Poster
Kinda a weird fact but apparently according to Attractions Magazine, Terry Crews makes a cameo in this attraction. Not sure how or why but apparently he is in the attraction.

Surferboy567

Original Poster
Because he is actor? And they hire actors to play parts? Like parts in an attraction preshow?
No, that’s not why I said it was weird. Terry Crews (at least to my knowledge) hasn’t been in anything Guardians. So I thought it was interesting he was in this attraction.

Also, I think he’s in the actual attraction as no one (that I have heard from) has seen the preshow.

Surferboy567

Original Poster
Has anyone noticed that the song playing on the Milano during the launch is a really hardcore rock version of Universe of Energy?
Just saw this, that’s really cool. Come to think about it we don’t have a ton of details on what goes on in the launch tunnel.

Any other details?

EPCOT-O.G.

The fact Smuggler's Run has only one mission and it is dark and boring is criminal.

Did we get the cans?! Look another can!!!!

Good lord.
I do too. But not sure *why* they would, given how popular the current iteration seems to be, and how few have been able to experience it yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom