Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind SPOILER Thread

celluloid

EPCOT as a whole doesn't have that much whimsy left in it, does it? I think Figment's the only attraction that can still currently be described as "whimsical".
True. Ironically less whisky charm than original EPCOT.
I guess it depends on the definition of whimsy too.
Finding Nemo, short and IP driven has a tad bit the entire thing is shoehorned and broken.
It is not whimsy to me, but if current figment is, than so is that.

Rat and Frozen seem more frantic.

EricsBiscuit

True. Ironically less whisky charm than original EPCOT.
I guess it depends on the definition of whimsy too.
Finding Nemo, short and IP driven has a tad bit the entire thing is shoehorned and broken.
It is not whimsy to me, but if current figment is, than so is that.

Rat and Frozen seem more frantic.
I agree on the lack of whisky. Too much focus on IPAs and not the spirits for my taste!

celluloid

Ratatouille had the potential to be a fun, whimsical ride but the decision to have most of it just be the vehicle parked in front of a screen torpedoed that. I've said this before, but they might as well have just made it a simulator.
It is true. That is what Universal is finally discovering. At a certain point, if a vehicle just parks in a surrounding screen and simulates movement, it is not much different unless it offers unique factors and dark ride elements in-between.

In this case though I think whismy was discussed more specifically in a realism presentation or fantastical presentation sense, which EPCOT has always had, it was just balanced better with inspiration and education before.

djkidkaz

More than one reviewer has said it's a 'family coaster' and added that if they cope with BTM or EE then they should be fine.

I think the term family coaster is not very accurate for this attraction. That almost indicates that all ages could ride this and I think you would find that many older adults will have a hard time riding this due to being more prone to motion sickness. My late 60’s early 70’s parents could ride Seven Dwarfs or BTMRR, but I would never put them on this. I also think it’s too thrilling for little kids, which means you are alienating a lot of the family.

So if the term family coaster is referring to the fact that it’s a coaster with no upside down portions and it has average speed, then sure you can say it’s a family coaster. But if it’s supposed to reference that the whole family can ride, then no it’s not accurate.

Giss Neric

I think the term family coaster is not very accurate for this attraction. That almost indicates that all ages could ride this and I think you would find that many older adults will have a hard time riding this due to being more prone to motion sickness. My late 60’s early 70’s parents could ride Seven Dwarfs or BTMRR, but I would never put them on this. I also think it’s too thrilling for little kids, which means you are alienating a lot of the family.

So if the term family coaster is referring to the fact that it’s a coaster with no upside down portions and it has average speed, then sure you can say it’s a family coaster. But if it’s supposed to reference that the whole family can ride, then no it’s not accurate.
Yeah totally agree. I can understand calling it a family coaster cause it has no inversions or big drops but the fact that you are launching backwards and you're going forward, sideways and backwards already is quite intense. If you're a thrill seeker and have no problems riding rollercoasters at Uni, Sea World or Busch Gardens then you definitely will consider this a family coaster.

BTMRR, Mine Train, Slinky, Space Mountain, Mummy, Gringotts are the legit family coasters. Expedition, Hagrids, Cobra's Curse and Cosmic are most likely between moderate and high thrill.

mergatroid

Yeah totally agree. I can understand calling it a family coaster cause it has no inversions or big drops but the fact that you are launching backwards and you're going forward, sideways and backwards already is quite intense. If you're a thrill seeker and have no problems riding rollercoasters at Uni, Sea World or Busch Gardens then you definitely will consider this a family coaster.

BTMRR, Mine Train, Slinky, Space Mountain, Mummy, Gringotts are the legit family coasters. Expedition, Hagrids, Cobra's Curse and Cosmic are most likely between moderate and high thrill.
If we're dissecting the term 'family coaster' meaning all the family regardless of age can enjoy it, I'd personally say The Mummy is out. It's dark in both senses of riding in the dark and also it's a 'dark' story line which could upset and frighten kids. It's also very fast and features faster drops and turns than GOTG has been described as having. Gringotts also is debatable for similar reasons, some are terrified at the thought of what might happen and that's not for everyone.

I think however that we're looking into what degree of a thrill ride GOTG is too much. It's very hard to describe a coasters intensity to those who have a problem with coasters as it's subjective and what's acceptable to one person may not be to another. We have different levels of the spectrum obviously where the Velocicoaster is designed specifically to thrill the guests as much as it can, it's not designed for anyone who has a problem with coasters. Obviously in that case you can see the ride and what it does so only a fool (or blind person) would get on thinking it was similar to IASW. We also have The Barnstormer which is designed for small kids who want to think they're going on a 'big kids ride' when in reality they're not.

On here I've read people saying Slinky is ok whereas SM isn't, or they can do BTM but not EE because it goes backwards. The whole "Will it make me sick" thing is really highly subjective and personally I'd say if you don't like 'thrill rides' then just don't do them if you're that worried. Basically if any coaster has made you sick in the past, it's very hard for anyone to tell you whether going on this one will make you sick as they're not you. As an example I have a friend who's done the Hulk roller coaster and enjoyed it, I took her on the Tower of Terror and she had a full on meltdown. We're talking crying, trouble breathing, a full on panic attack. I felt dreadful for taking her on it after assuming that if she could handle the Hulk then TOT would be a breeze but there you go. Different aspects of different rides affect different people differently.

I completely agree with you that many people who've ridden coasters at Uni, Sea World and Busch should have no issue, yet my above example of TOT whilst not a coaster shows it's all subjective on what a thrill intensity level is and how it's hard to say how another person will perceive it.

Casper Gutman

SSE, or LWTL maybe?
SSE has a very restrained sense of whimsy, yes - a remnant of the original park, which was awash in it, with WoM and Imagination being whimsical masterpieces.

Ironically, as Disney tore down old EPCOT in a frantic attempt to appeal to a broader audience, what they actually did was become utterly characterless. Space and TT are as cold as its opponents incorrectly assume early EPCOT was - they are the most aggressively bland, colorless attractions Disney has ever built. The trolls in Maelstrom had more character in one scene then any of the established characters in the Frozen replacement largely because they were tailored to their role in the ride - Elsa and friends are merely part of a clipshow, with all the character and whimsy of a stock photo. The same is true, to a lesser extent, of Nemo, which is helped a bit by the "Deep Blue" song.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
It's a shortcut. They aren't interested in making the park "stronger and better defined" or they'd actually be doing that. Instead they're putting a giant, Marvel-shaped pot under the leaky roof and calling it fixed. And it's a big pot, so it'll hold a lot of water. But the roof's still leaking and they don't really care to fix it.
There was a lot more planned before the pandemic. That definitely changed a lot of things. However every indication I’ve seen would suggest that most/all of what was announced will come to pass, just not as quickly as originally planned.

mergatroid

Got to ride this again today and it definitely pushes those motion sickness boundaries. It’s 3 minutes of twisting and turning on a coaster track in the dark looking at screens.
Did it make you feel sick or are you just guessing on behalf of those who suffer motion sickness? (I'm not criticising you, just interested)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom