Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind SPOILER Thread

lewisc

You really want to pretend James Cameron deserves the credit? That feels completely divorced from reality.
I was under the impression, internet is never wrong, Pandora had to meet Camerons standards. I don't know if Cameron gets credit for the actual design.

UNCgolf

I was under the impression, internet is never wrong, Pandora had to meet Camerons standards. I don't know if Cameron gets credit for the actual design.

Whether Cameron set standards is kind of irrelevant, though, because all of Animal Kingdom already met those standards thanks to Rohde. It's not like Pandora is some clear step above the design of the rest of Animal Kingdom.

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

Until they appoint James Cameron the head of WDI…all recent imagineering has proven is they lack a sense of understanding for humans…and build elaborate, over designed, overpriced, under delivering mehs that are drawn out forever.

If guardians is the “simple approach”…I’ll take that.

People are still failing to understand where the management is at and where it’s heading…it’s not “up the hill”
Guardians isn’t “simple,” it’s woefully overplotted, overembellished, and generally overdone. It’s heaps of unfocused storylines and preshows piled on a ride that, while physically fun, absolutely cannot withstand all the other nonsense surrounding it. The storytelling is awful, confused and directionless, the on-ride visuals often extraneous. Even the rotation of the ships feels ultimately unnecessary, adding little to the overall experience. It’s a fun coaster with a good soundtrack, but Disney wants it to be so much more, and they end up detracting from the final product.

Casper Gutman

That certainly makes sense. Next time I ride I'll keep that in mind. I do wish the premise was more clear. And perhaps it is, and I just got confused. I think the Big Bang at the beginning (Start) threw me off. I guess the story is we're playing "keep away" with the giant Space monster? I can accept that. I hate it, but whatdya do!? Without fully grasping the concept I just assumed we were racing against the Space Monster through time in a linear fashion. Fun ride, but it's one heck of a weak sauce story.
The story doesn’t make sense even on its own terms and the time travel element is completely unrealized and extraneous. Just enjoy the physical and aural elements of the coaster and ignore the rest.

UNCgolf

It’s a fun coaster with a good soundtrack, but Disney wants it to be so much more, and they end up detracting from the final product.

I don't know if they actually detract from it (at least for most guests), but I also don't think they add anything, which is the bigger problem. The exact same ride through space with music without Eson or any of the other stuff tacked on top would almost certainly be loved just as much as the current version of the attraction. The physical thrill and the music seems to be the only thing anyone ever talks about as the reason they love it.

They could have built that version of the ride for a lot less.

Casper Gutman

I don't know if they actually detract from it (at least for most guests), but I also don't think they add anything, which is the bigger problem. The exact same ride through space with music without Eson or any of the other stuff tacked on top would almost certainly be loved just as much as the current version of the attraction. The physical thrill and the music seems to be the only thing anyone ever talks about as the reason they love it.

They could have built that version of the ride for a lot less.
I think a lot of guests are going to tire of the two preshows VERY quickly. We already have reports of guests trying to skip the second segment. In time, I expect the second half of the preshow to become much like the old movie after Maelstrom, something guests jog through.

mysto

Guardians isn’t “simple,” it’s woefully overplotted, overembellished, and generally overdone. It’s heaps of unfocused storylines and preshows piled on a ride that, while physically fun, absolutely cannot withstand all the other nonsense surrounding it. The storytelling is awful, confused and directionless, the on-ride visuals often extraneous. Even the rotation of the ships feels ultimately unnecessary, adding little to the overall experience. It’s a fun coaster with a good soundtrack, but Disney wants it to be so much more, and they end up detracting from the final product.
I disagreee with some of this, but it's such a beautiful piece of prose I had to give it a thumbs up.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My point is they can’t do the “story telling” thing anymore…it becomes an f-tangle of waste and no clear vision.

The yearning for more no G dull trackless will not create better parks

Casper Gutman

My point is they can’t do the “story telling” thing anymore…it becomes an f-tangle of waste and no clear vision.

The yearning for more no G dull trackless will not create better parks
As a fellow curmudgeon who would be happy to leave trackless behind, MMRR is great and RotR is very good, if overrated. I think you’re really letting your feelings about the Sequel Trilogy distort your vision.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
As a fellow curmudgeon who would be happy to leave trackless behind, MMRR is great and RotR is very good, if overrated. I think you’re really letting your feelings about the Sequel Trilogy distort your vision.
It’s not that I reject the trackless…it’s that it’s already overdone.

Rat is good…but we knew that moving in.

Mickey is fine…but it needed to be a net add, not a replacement.

The Star Wars ride - while being based on three atrocious movies - is a problem because the franchise needs more than 3 relatively mundane sims. Build a track, kids…or do something…that stokes the adventure instinct a little.

But at the end of the day…you’re really calling for old style WDI story based rides…which as you can see: aren’t their ways anymore.

Sandurz

Even the rotation of the ships feels ultimately unnecessary, adding little to the overall experience

The rest I'll maybe give you, but the rotation is kind of the whole thing lol. It creates bizarre, exciting physical sensations that you would absolutely never get otherwise. It would still be a nice, smooth, fast coaster in the dark which is always fun, but I think the spinning is super important.

Casper Gutman

The rest I'll maybe give you, but the rotation is kind of the whole thing lol. It creates bizarre, exciting physical sensations that you would absolutely never get otherwise. It would still be a nice, smooth, fast coaster in the dark which is always fun, but I think the spinning is super important.
Admittedly, this is the most subjective of my criticisms. The second time I rode, I realized that the rotations really were not effecting my experience either positively or negatively. The only moment at which I really noticed them was the spin around the moon, and while I certainly didn't get sick, I wouldn't describe the sensation as pleasant. Ultimately, the rotation has little impact because you're largely in the dark and there's little on which to fix your attention of with which to orient yourself. It would be a fantastic system for a ride with a lot of show scenes, and I suspect it was chosen to accommodate an earlier version of the ride that would have had more to look at. As it is, the rotation feels a lot like the entire time travel storyline, a vestigial element of a planned ride that was absolutely cut to shreds. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Sandurz

The moon is definitely the most extreme instance of "rotating to look at something" goes and probably the source of most of the motion sickness problems all by itself lol.

But the rest of rotation isn't really "look at this scene" it completely alters the sensations you're experience. It's not "Ahh I'm spinning" but it's what the spinning does to your body's path through the ride space and the forces that are applied to your body.

Crush's Coaster in WDS in Paris is basically Space Mountain but bubbles instead of stars. It's free rotation which is obviously different than Cosmic Rewind, but as far a scenes go there's nothing to look at at all, and the spinning there is kind of the whole point of the ride. Love that coaster too. Maybe I'm just a sucker for modern spinning coasters!

Bairstow

So that big platform on the left after the final brake run before you unload- that IS supposed to house animatronics of the main characters but was somehow cut for budget, right? There's no way that tiny little Musion Eyeliner screen was plan-A, was there?

yensidtlaw1969

So that big platform on the left after the final brake run before you unload- that IS supposed to house animatronics of the main characters but was somehow cut for budget, right? There's no way that tiny little Musion Eyeliner screen was plan-A, was there?
Can we also mention how that effect isn't even a *good one*? The projection plainly spills onto the set behind the screen, giving away that a projection is all it is.

If they were gonna do something that basic they should at least do it well.

djkidkaz

Still waiting to see when the Christmas music is uploaded to this ride and what song it will be. Also wondering if it will just play the same one song over and over or if it’s going to be randomly played with the other 6 songs?

MagicHappens1971

Still waiting to see when the Christmas music is uploaded to this ride and what song it will be. Also wondering if it will just play the same one song over and over or if it’s going to be randomly played with the other 6 songs?
I’m assuming either randomized Christmas songs or just the one. I doubt they’ll shuffle it in with the other 6, especially since most guests can only ride once.

doctornick

GOTG holiday special drops on Disney+ on Nov 25, so maybe it would change that day as sort of a cross-promotion?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom