News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Phantom Mickey

Man its times like these where I wish I could've actually seen the old epcot. My epcot is v2.0 so stuff like ellen's and figment aren't exactly sacred to me. I've seen videos and pics of the original epcot and experiences like WOM and Horizons and WOL and I'm sure none of them do it justice but it looks amazing. Still though imo for those of us that only know v2.0 I remain hopeful that v3.0 will be better than what we've known as Epcot even if it's nowhere near as good as the original.
--------------
You actually CAN see the old EPCOT Center. YouTube has just about everything on video. And I mean before UOE was soiled by adding Ellen and before Journey to Imagination was rebuilt without DreamFinder and came back with a shorter ride time. Odyessy restaurant was still open and HORIZONs was still there showing the future views.
You want to see 1982 era EPCOT Center, go find those vids.

Maeryk

--------------
You actually CAN see the old EPCOT Center. YouTube has just about everything on video. And I mean before UOE was soiled by adding Ellen and before Journey to Imagination was rebuilt without DreamFinder and came back with a shorter ride time. Odyessy restaurant was still open and HORIZONs was still there showing the future views.
You want to see 1982 era EPCOT Center, go find those vids.

the poster means the concept for it. Just like you can't see the hidden mickey that is the central (well, was) area of DHS, without pulling back and seeing the full view. A lot of the ideas that the original EPCOT concept included have been realized.. outside of EPCOT proper. It even, if you squint and turn your head sideways, kinda resembles the layout a bit.

Maeryk

------------------
The DISNEY parks get more and more interesting to watch as the NEW Disney Company clamors about trying to find a way to bring in more guests ( translate that as CASH ).
They are turning to rides, Fantasy land attractions in places that were once themed for a different future. I have translated that as they have no idea how to keep the originial theme going.
We also see them pour money into huge projects that return red ink... I wonder how that is going. Then there is the FAST Pass that D has spent BILLIONS to create and it all comes down to letting people step ahead in line in front of guests in the normal que lines. No matter how you look at those numbers, FP can't work.

Do you mean FP? or Magic Bands? Because the Magic Bands were intended to be far, far more than just fastpass+ tags. I doubt they are scrapping the concept.. as some of the new attractions being built are heavily invested in using the LRRFID tags in the bands to customize your visit.

as to Fastpass itself.. it works okay. I think with the way Disney is going, what you are going to end up with is everyone getting X number of queue skips, and a (cheaper than it is now) skip all lines version that is an upcharge.

Phantom Mickey

Do you mean FP? or Magic Bands? Because the Magic Bands were intended to be far, far more than just fastpass+ tags. I doubt they are scrapping the concept.. as some of the new attractions being built are heavily invested in using the LRRFID tags in the bands to customize your visit.

as to Fastpass itself.. it works okay. I think with the way Disney is going, what you are going to end up with is everyone getting X number of queue skips, and a (cheaper than it is now) skip all lines version that is an upcharge.
--------------
I really don't want to go deep into this. FP is a losing attempt at controlling the guests in long long lines.

...Much of this is the constant closing of attractions which helped take the guest numbers.
... The magic bands are just a way to make money out of the deal.
The new option to reserve FP positions on attractions 3 months ahead of your arrival is causing even more problems as they fill the reservation limited numbers. If you arrive and that attraction is closed, you may not be able to get a good attraction FP again because they are filled up.
... If you work the numbers, the times, guests, attraction run times, etc, the numbers for what D is doing does not work. They can't work because it extends the times incredibly long. EX: if a preshow is 10min and the show is 10min, for each show you miss because of FP adds 20 minutes to your wait in the que.
... How do you fix this, how about adding more reservation positions? Ok, Dizzy can do that but that will also INCREASE the wait times in the guest ques.
... The reservation system is filling the fast past reservatons so there are few left for actual guests in the park. It lengthens que times enormously. It just does not work.
... Now D has spent so much money in the system they can't shut it down so how do you take advantage of guests waiting in que and let FP'rs run by them and still keep guests in the que happy????? Good luck on that one.

Last edited:

Maeryk

---------------
The concept would be rather hard to find. It seems to have drifted but maybe some of the Communicore vids may give some insight to that.
Then again, Communicore has changed drastically over and over. It just never seemed to find a good spot. I was hoping that the CYBER SPACE MOUNTAIN attraction from DISNEY QUEST might find a home in the COMMUNICORE Pavillion but Dizzy cares not for guests likes on older attractions.
... Hidden Mickeys are interesting. I once pondered how this came to be, and I just settled to think that the imagineers like to play with the guests and will randomly place them where ever they can hide them in plain site. But they do the same for favored people, using birthdates and such. There are little signs like this all over the parks. Predominately at the Magic Kingdom. All for the fun....

Unless I'm misreading you, you are thinking too small. I'm talking about needing a satellite view to see it all. Like the one in the middle of DHS.. (lake, circles, etc, that make up a hidden only visible from the air)

SImilarly, a lot of the concepts for the original Florida Project are getting built. disney springs, the solar fields, acres upon acres of greenhouses and food, etc etc.. just not all in one big interconnected by foot "city" like the Epcot drawings tended to show.

mermu2

I started visiting Disney World in the 90's and Epcot has always been my favorite park, because its so different from the others. I was really into marine biology & dinosaurs when I was a little girl, and I got to experience both in Epcot. I loved Sea Base Alpha. When I was a kid, it really felt like I was being transported underwater. Now I just bypass Nemo and go straight to where all the tanks are, because that's what I love about the Living Seas. I also loved going back in time to see dinosaurs in the Universe of Energy. Both these areas make science accessible and fun. I went to college & became a biologist in part because these experiences at Epcot helped foster a love of science. And they showed me how fun & engaging science can be. I'm heartbroken that the Universe of Energy is going away and that I won't even get a chance to take final photos. Yes, it needs an update but it still seemed fairly popular when I've been there recently. The worst part of this is knowing that future little girls (and boys) won't have this magical experience of feeling like you've gone back in time to see Dinosaurs. Yes, there's Dinoland USA now, but its not the same at all. That's more a carnival area, not the educational entertainment that Universe of Energy is.

With all the talk of climate change and emerging renewable energy technologies, you'd think this ride would be even more relevant now than ever. Science matters. Disney installed a whole bunch of photovoltaic panels....yet they don't think Universe of Energy should still exist?

What ever happened to Walt's vision for the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow? Its not supposed to be a theme park like Universal, or Hollywood Studios, or MK or AK. Universe of Energy is true to Epcot. Replacing it with a GotG ride completely, irrevocably changes the entire nature of the park. Its not Epcot anymore.

Has anyone started any petitions to try to save Universe of Energy? I've searched a little, but I haven't found any.

"To all who come to this place of joy, hope and friendship, welcome.

Epcot Center is inspired by Walt Disney's creative genius. Here, human achievements are celebrated through imagination, the wonders of enterprise, and concepts of a future that promises new and exciting benefits for all.

May Epcot Center entertain, inform and inspire. And, above all, may it instill a new sense of belief and pride in man's ability to shape a world that offers hope to people everywhere. — E. Cardon Walker, October 24, 1982"

Phantom Mickey

Unless I'm misreading you, you are thinking too small. I'm talking about needing a satellite view to see it all. Like the one in the middle of DHS.. (lake, circles, etc, that make up a hidden only visible from the air)

SImilarly, a lot of the concepts for the original Florida Project are getting built. disney springs, the solar fields, acres upon acres of greenhouses and food, etc etc.. just not all in one big interconnected by foot "city" like the Epcot drawings tended to show.
------------------
I absolutely agree with you.
There is one in Calif that is a road and walkway. I was told it was disneys best kept secret because you must be in the air to see it.

Last edited:

Phantom Mickey

I started visiting Disney World in the 90's and Epcot has always been my favorite park, because its so different from the others. I was really into marine biology & dinosaurs when I was a little girl, and I got to experience both in Epcot. I loved Sea Base Alpha. When I was a kid, it really felt like I was being transported underwater. Now I just bypass Nemo and go straight to where all the tanks are, because that's what I love about the Living Seas. I also loved going back in time to see dinosaurs in the Universe of Energy. Both these areas make science accessible and fun. I went to college & became a biologist in part because these experiences at Epcot helped foster a love of science. And they showed me how fun & engaging science can be. I'm heartbroken that the Universe of Energy is going away and that I won't even get a chance to take final photos. Yes, it needs an update but it still seemed fairly popular when I've been there recently. The worst part of this is knowing that future little girls (and boys) won't have this magical experience of feeling like you've gone back in time to see Dinosaurs. Yes, there's Dinoland USA now, but its not the same at all. That's more a carnival area, not the educational entertainment that Universe of Energy is.

With all the talk of climate change and emerging renewable energy technologies, you'd think this ride would be even more relevant now than ever. Science matters. Disney installed a whole bunch of photovoltaic panels....yet they don't think Universe of Energy should still exist?

What ever happened to Walt's vision for the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow? Its not supposed to be a theme park like Universal, or Hollywood Studios, or MK or AK. Universe of Energy is true to Epcot. Replacing it with a GotG ride completely, irrevocably changes the entire nature of the park. Its not Epcot anymore.

Has anyone started any petitions to try to save Universe of Energy? I've searched a little, but I haven't found any.

"To all who come to this place of joy, hope and friendship, welcome.

Epcot Center is inspired by Walt Disney's creative genius. Here, human achievements are celebrated through imagination, the wonders of enterprise, and concepts of a future that promises new and exciting benefits for all.

May Epcot Center entertain, inform and inspire. And, above all, may it instill a new sense of belief and pride in man's ability to shape a world that offers hope to people everywhere. — E. Cardon Walker, October 24, 1982"
-----------
I remember EPCOT Center as well.
All the things you mentioned, mostly gone or changed.
... sorry, I do not believe a petition will help UOE, Dizzy simply does not care. It has been tried in the past for other attractions and got no reaction.
... As for being EPCOT... it lost that appeal quite awhile ago. Not as bad as DisneyMGM Studios, but its gone.

mermu2

-----------
I remember EPCOT Center as well.
All the things you mentioned, mostly gone or changed.
... sorry, I do not believe a petition will help UOE, Dizzy simply does not care. It has been tried in the past for other attractions and got no reaction.
... As for being EPCOT... it lost that appeal quite awhile ago. Not as bad as DisneyMGM Studios, but its gone.

Universe of Energy in its current incarnation is still there, for now. I don't really remember its previous version. The fish tank area of Living Seas is still there. Spaceship Earth is still there. Figment is still there. Yes, there have been updates which are necessary but it all still exists. Yes, my favorite part of Figment is gone (the rainbow tunnel). We've been talking about this quite a bit in my family, and my dad mentioned that at one point they were either going to close Figment or replace it. Fans were able to save it. I know what we have there now is a far cry from what it was, but its better than having it replaced by its antithesis.

I think we agree that all Disney really cares about is making money. If enough of us express that we want Universe of Energy to stay, it could make a difference. With this and whatever they're doing to MGM, I'm about ready to quit going to the theme parks completely. My family has been DVC members from the beginning, in part because we bought into Walt's vision & dream for WDW. It seems like most Disney fans are on the same page as us, as are the cast members. Its corporate Disney that's completely disconnected from reality. At some point don't we have to stand up & say "No. You're not being true to WDW, and we'll stop buying what you're selling if you proceed?"

Phantom Mickey

Universe of Energy in its current incarnation is still there, for now. I don't really remember its previous version. The fish tank area of Living Seas is still there. Spaceship Earth is still there. Figment is still there. Yes, there have been updates which are necessary but it all still exists. Yes, my favorite part of Figment is gone (the rainbow tunnel). We've been talking about this quite a bit in my family, and my dad mentioned that at one point they were either going to close Figment or replace it. Fans were able to save it. I know what we have there now is a far cry from what it was, but its better than having it replaced by its antithesis.

I think we agree that all Disney really cares about is making money. If enough of us express that we want Universe of Energy to stay, it could make a difference. With this and whatever they're doing to MGM, I'm about ready to quit going to the theme parks completely. My family has been DVC members from the beginning, in part because we bought into Walt's vision & dream for WDW. It seems like most Disney fans are on the same page as us, as are the cast members. Its corporate Disney that's completely disconnected from reality. At some point don't we have to stand up & say "No. You're not being true to WDW, and we'll stop buying what you're selling if you proceed?"

The original Universe of Energy can still be seen, its on YouTube, look it up.

In my humble opinion, the UOE was ruined when they put ELLEN and her lame lines in the show.

You’ll see when you watch the original.

I have no opinion for the Living Seas. They needed something to pick up the numbers, to refresh the SEAS, and NEMO was available.

Journey to Imagination was incredible in its original format. When they took out Dream Maker and his wonderful flying machine, that was most of the show. It didn’t help that they shortened the ride time and didn’t think anyone would notice.
The original vid is on YouTube.

As for standing up to DISNEY, well The Walt Disney Company, good luck. As you say, they only look at numbers, mostly numbers that pertain to money.

You may be right that Dizzy is disconnected but they own the toy store and will do with it as they wish, as we are seeing. You cannot standup to a company that has dollars in their sights. They will walk over you.

lazyboy97o

I would have accepted the ride more if they would have been honest. Not treat fans like their idiotic imbeciles who can't tell the difference. Anybody with two brain cells can tell that this isn't inspired by the original EPCOT Center nor follows its ideals.
Theme parks are stupid entertainment for stupid people.

I suspect this is why an expo has not been hosted in North America since the mid to late 80's.
Minnesota is actually seeking to host the 2022/2023 Expo. The U.S. even rejoined the BIE in support of the bid.

Are you secretly pointing out how dumb most Americans are? ;)

I was hoping to not put it like that exactly

You would probably have to admit that when in the park, if not for long lines at the signature attractions there is typically not much demand for the smaller ones (SSE, Living with the Land, UOE, Imagination). With that it seems that much of this is long overdue

Phantom Mickey

As for the IP's, I don't know. It would be great if they could revive the old park theme but can it happen??
As far as the park goes, I'm waiting to hear the parametic yell out "CLEAR"

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike S

Maeryk

Perhaps. I'd say the timing is a bit suspicious though. The 4 year window lines up precisely with @marni1971's for GotG.

They don't even have a prototype built anywhere, near as I can tell. Bit late in the game to start engineering it now.

The press release is May. Wanda said it was selling in July.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom